Kasikorn bank levees 400 baht

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do not see any strange in this storey.

On every ATM card I have there is an "expired date", YOUR responsibility and YOUR responsibility alone to renew it before it expires - period.

You can only closed a bank account at the same bank you opened it OR you withdraw all your money and not use it anymore for two years, then the bank will close it automatically

Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed.

Last and not least DON'T use your logic in Thailand, it will not / never work here!

Basically - if you want to live here follow their rules and don't try to implement your rules ......

Absolutely right, apart from...

"Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed."

The Bank of Thailand imposes no such restriction, some individuals in some individual banks, incorrectly, do though.

I have never had a work permit, but i have 3 different bank accounts. Are you saying my accounts are illegal? Don't think so....

On every ATM card I have there is an "expired date", YOUR responsibility and YOUR responsibility alone to renew it before it expires - period.

You can only closed a bank account at the same bank you opened it OR you withdraw all your money and not use it anymore for two years, then the bank will close it automatically

Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed.

Last and not least DON'T use your logic in Thailand, it will not / never work here!

Basically - if you want to live here follow their rules and don't try to implement your rules ......

"Without a work permit, your can't open a bank account - some banks and branches do yes but legally NOT allowed."

Sorry, that's complete & utter BS, and I wish people who don't know any better wouldn't post such misinformation here, as some who are relatively new to Thailand might believe it. To get a CREDIT CARD or checking account, maybe yes, but not for a plain vanilla savings account. Absolutely nothing illegal about it, though this misinformation does tend to get repeated every now & again.

When you receive a card, check the expiry date and plug in a reminder to your email calendar. As I age I find this more useful. Obviously birthdays, driving licences, insurances, tax disk etc etc. Do not rely on someone else to remind you.

Surprised to learn it is obligatory to have a work permit to open a bank account! How about a retirement extension where you are of course not permitted to work, but obliged to maintain an account balance and prove it?!

The reality is the rules vary, and the implementation does too. I would have no compunction shopping around for a more agreeable interpretation of them if unhappy.

My card expired and K bank asked for 400 baht for Hello Kitty ATM card. I said I did not want to pay 400 baht for new card. Then they came up with another card for 300 baht. I closed my account with them.

Last time I lost my card with Bangkok Band they replaced it for free.

Edited by hound

Welcome to the world of Banking. When I opened my acct with the same bank I paid 500 baht for the card, but was not charged a single baht on fees unless I was out of province, and that was 10 baht. Probably used the card 90+ times and well worth it in my opinion.

It's probably a yearly or maintenance fee. Nothing too strange about it.

Dunno if it has been mentioned yet but you can open a bank account without a work permit.

Yes, tourist visa's are fine. But you'll still get the odd dufus that goes into their bag of tricks and recites the laughable reasons why they cannot open it. Then it's the old go to the next branch routine.

Even though it is accepted practice in the the US that all credit and debit(ATM) cards expire and that date is clearly marked on the face of the card, it would appear my BKK ATM card never expires. I've had it for 7 years I believe.

However, it is customary for all banks that I know of to charge a nuisance fee for their ATM cards. The Green bank can be one of the worst at this. At one time they wanted 800 baht for an ATM card because it was linked with some promotion and it didn't matter if you wanted the promotion or not.

The response you got is absolutely typical in this country. They, for the most part, have no real sense of good customer service so they could care less that you were unaware of the expiration even if it is, in a sense, their fault, because they did virtually nothing to notify you of your card's expiration. In our countries you would almost certainly have gotten a letter in the mail informing you and this is what I mean by a lack of good customer service sense.

It is also customary in this country that there are MANY things you CANNOT do except at the branch you opened your account at, unlike in the west. They are, in many ways, still very antiquated and backwards in their practices aptly demonstrated by their pathological use of the Bankbook. If you want the convenience of banking in two different provinces then you are better off opening an account in each province to avoid nuisance fees for transfers and ATM usage, whereas, you would never have to do that in the US and I assume the EU or UK.

You say it is partially the banks fault for not informing him even thought h would have seen if he used his card at some point. You say typically Thailand. For your information I am from Boston MA USA and the Department of Motor Vehicles in order to save costs ( and generate revenue) no longer sends out notices that your drivers liscense is about to expire. Forget and get caught get ticket and have to pay fine and replacement costs for new one.

Ah, a Thai apologist.

I stand behind what I say. Many Thai businesses do not have very good customer service practices (notice I didn't say ALL) and when logic is brought up to them as to why they should give you a break they just get obstinate and say "you must pay". If you don't know that then you haven't lived here long or you live in a bubble.

DMV departments and Police are two different agencies. One can't be held accountable for what the other does and so the police don't care.

In the case of the ATM and bank...it's all in the same business and under the control on that one business. Apples and oranges my friend.

And yes, I am moving home soon.

Yes, you have to go to the original branch to close your account. However, you can withdraw all your money from any branch office and just pretend that the account is closed. This is the way Thai people do it. After one year of no activity and no funds the bank will automatically close the account.

However, I don't understand why your card expired. I have accounts with different Thai banks. They all deduct the annual fee automatically and the card does not expire.

We seem to have a dichotomy here between we "oldtimers" (ATM only cards, with no expiry date), and the "newcomers" who seem to have a combined ATM/debit card with an expiry date on it.

Has anyone opened an account recently and been given, or offered, An ATM ONLY card, with no expiry date on it. Please ask your Thai acquaintances too, if you know of any who have recently opened a new bank account. There is a possibility that Thai customers are being offered a choice, while unsuspecting farangs are having the debit card option foisted upon them. If you find anyone who has recently obtained an ATM only card, with no expiry date, please indicate the name of the bank, and approximately how long ago.

I use the yellow bank Krungsri or Ayudhya (whatever the spelling is). I have a visa with retirement extension.

On moving to another province I opened a new account and they transferred my existing balances into it for me. They suggested I left NIL balance in the other provincial account. Not sure about the charges but I think the card does cost. Certainly recently I lost one card and they wanted four or five hundred baht for a replacement.

hope it helps

We seem to have a dichotomy here between we "oldtimers" (ATM only cards, with no expiry date), and the "newcomers" who seem to have a combined ATM/debit card with an expiry date on it.

Has anyone opened an account recently and been given, or offered, An ATM ONLY card, with no expiry date on it. Please ask your Thai acquaintances too, if you know of any who have recently opened a new bank account. There is a possibility that Thai customers are being offered a choice, while unsuspecting farangs are having the debit card option foisted upon them. If you find anyone who has recently obtained an ATM only card, with no expiry date, please indicate the name of the bank, and approximately how long ago.

My Krungsri ( Ayudhya) all ATMs debit card has an expiry date. However it does not have my name on it only : privileged member

This whole thread is ridiculous. First, we all know of annual atm fees. Next, we all know how western banks have been robbing is for fees for decades. Finally, Thai banks are even worse, the only caveat is that its more ala carte abd fees smaller.

I was recently denied opening account at K despite O visa. They would only open with wp. Screwed up paperwork 2x, that is all the new bs paperwork for US.

I just hate the bank, everything takes 20 minutes no matter what you are doing. Ill close it in six months, never look back.

This whole thread is ridiculous. First, we all know of annual atm fees. Next, we all know how western banks have been robbing is for fees for decades. Finally, Thai banks are even worse, the only caveat is that its more ala carte abd fees smaller.

I was recently denied opening account at K despite O visa. They would only open with wp. Screwed up paperwork 2x, that is all the new bs paperwork for US.

I just hate the bank, everything takes 20 minutes no matter what you are doing. Ill close it in six months, never look back.

This whole thread is ridiculous

So is your next but one statement - " we all know how western banks have been robbing is for fees for decades" - Other than paying for international transfers (which charges I was well aware of) I have not paid any bank fees on my UK accounts for........well decades clap2.gif

Oh and one good thing about never looking back - at least the door wont hit you in the face.............whistling.gif

I've had a Kasikorn simple deposit account for 7 years that has a few k parked in it for emergency withdrawal if other routes not available and which I have not used for 4 years. I was issued with what was described as an ATM card, but I now see it is a debit card that expired 18 months ago (it must have had a long date ab initio).

Looks like I'm headed for the same 400 baht charge then. My fault entirely, I aint going to complain. I'll just close the account and take the money elsewhere (and probably pay a couple of hundred baht for a new ATM card.

The travails of banking is that banks are always trying to make money out of you (no surprises there - we live in a market economy). The beauty of of banking is that it is a competitive market and you can go elsewhere (no surprises there - we live in a market economy). Banks are one of the few things commercially that Thais do well IMO. Save the bitching for things that matter!

Thanks for bitching nonetheless OP - now I know my card is useless and now I know to monitor more carefully.

If you actually didn't have activity with your bank for four years, I'd say you're lucky your account wasn't closed and the funds taken over by the government.

It's called escheat.

To the OP: Are you talking about an ATM card. a debit card, or something that is a combination of both ? I have lived in Thailand for 20 yrs., and dealt with almost every major bank at some point. I have never had an ATM card with an expiry date on it. Indeed I am still using one (and I mean the actual, original card), that was given to me in 1997.

My latest SCB Debit Card has expiry on it of July 2024. The now replaced Hip Card had 10 Years as well with clear expiry date on that one as well