NCPO announces strict security measures at all airports

webfact

NCPO announces strict security measures at all airports

n.jpg

BANGKOK, 8 September 2015 (NNT) - The National Council for Peace and Order (NCPO) has announced increased security measures at all airports to prevent perpetrators of violence from entering the country.

NCPO Spokesperson Col Winthai Suwari said the move includes close inspection of passports and luggage by security officials to prevent another incident that would disrupt national security.

Col Winthai said the new policy is designed to create confidence in the level of safety in Thailand, for Thais and foreign nationals alike.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-09 footer_n.gif

Just flew out two days ago back to USA. To their credit they did a professional and efficient screening. They even knew how to use the full body scanner. They had their shit together so much it didn't feel like Thailand.

that full body scanner that was proofed (in USA and UK) to be very easy to cheat......Placebo security

Unfortunately, stricter security measures, crime crackdowns, increased enforcement, and similar buzz phrases are usually just passing fads in Thailand versus long term institutionalized measures. In fact, the only thing that is institutionalized is lax or selective enforcement of many laws.

Edited by Pib

I came through BKK airport last week.. Even with a checked in bag, I was off the plane and outside within 35 mins. Pretty impressed :)

IO even noted that I had no visa this time and just stamped me 30 days, no questions asked.

Increased efficiency is the only thing I noticed... Result

Which part of the ratchaprasong bomb was brought into the country in luggage?

Preparing based on only what has actually happened is short sighted. Even if nothing for those bombs was brought in from outside, that doesn't mean someone else wouldn't bring something in next time. Thought they likely wouldn't pick it up, but rather pick out a person. Hence "includes close inspection of passports".

They took a much longer look at my passport recently, as well as more time on screening carry on bags. There even was another person besides the airline staff taking a look at passports when entering the waiting area before the flight. At check in, there was one young guy who I think had two passports (dual citizen as a guess), and the guy behind the agents spent a lot of time talking to him since as far as I can tell he came in on a different passport than he had given to the airline. Just as a guess, he came in on a Thai passport, and had given a US passport to check in for the flight. Was a lot of time whatever the story was.

that full body scanner that was proofed (in USA and UK) to be very easy to cheat......Placebo security

Do you get your jollies from posting misleading information, from misleading people? What's your point in repeating a story from 2009? The early generations of scanners were Rapiscan 1000 Backscatters. These have not been in use for years. The US, Canadian, EU and Thai airports use the ProVison L3 devices.

Do you understand the difference between an XRay device (Rapiscan) and millimeter wave (MMW) radio frequency technology? Two different technologies, so please tell us all about the deficiencies of the MMW devices, because the 250+ major airports on 6 continents obviously need your great scientific guidance. No device is perfect, nor did anyone ever claim that the devices were. That is why there is something called redundancy and duplication.

If anyone experiences the "strict security measures" at BKK, give us a run down of what to expect. I've got someone coming in next month (visa exempt, three week trip, hasn't been in country since January) and I'd like to know what additional hoops he'll need to jump through on arrival. Provided, of course, that the strict measures haven't fallen by the wayside by then. thumbsup.gif

As we are all aware, the militant Uighurs entered Thailand through the Cambodian border - a land crossing. In fact, 50,000 of them entered in that manner. Focus on land borders and the corrupt immigration officers. Tightening airport security will just drive tourists away.

That's certainly a problem. Far from Bangkok and the influence that the bigwigs and their passing policy fads carry here. Out in the hinterlands, even more than BKK, money talks.

"the move includes close inspection of passports and luggage"

As I understood it, Thailand was already obliged to do this under international agreements. yet here is the talking head Winthai telling everyone they're going to start now.

I wonder if he understands how much of a plonker he seems to be.

I'd like to know if they're going to hassle folks about vaping devices (inaccurately known as 'electronic cigarettes') when entering/exiting, under this new security regime.

In the past, they'd just confirm what it was, and then wave passengers onwards. My suspicion is that things might not be so simple for vapers, now (I'm totally uninterested in hearing the bald-faced lies about how these are just as dangerous as actual cigarettes, as they've enabled someone I know who smoked 2 packs a day of actual cigarettes for 20 years kick the habit, with resultant improvement in energy, lung capacity, senses of smell and taste, and overall health; so please don't bother to reply with such bogus scaremongering nonsense).

Just flew out two days ago back to USA. To their credit they did a professional and efficient screening. They even knew how to use the full body scanner. They had their shit together so much it didn't feel like Thailand.

Sounds like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted to me. All very well doing checks on outbound passengers, but is the same being done for incoming? Or are they relying on security checks done at flight origin? Clinical stopover transfers? Etc, etc, etc.

introducing stricter measures at all airports ,is this a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted .

Ooops, just used the same phrase as you.

Wasn't copying, honest guv.........................wink.png

Do you get your jollies from posting misleading information, from misleading people? What's your point in repeating a story from 2009? The early generations of scanners were Rapiscan 1000 Backscatters. These have not been in use for years. The US, Canadian, EU and Thai airports use the ProVison L3 devices.

Do you understand the difference between an XRay device (Rapiscan) and millimeter wave (MMW) radio frequency technology? Two different technologies, so please tell us all about the deficiencies of the MMW devices, because the 250+ major airports on 6 continents obviously need your great scientific guidance. No device is perfect, nor did anyone ever claim that the devices were. That is why there is something called redundancy and duplication.

believe what you want...there were various shows on how inefficient they are....but most probably your favorite newspaper doesn't publish such news....The picture I saw at Suvanabhumi was definitely not an XRay, it showed the body surface, so I could happily pass with something inside my body.

And even if you XRay every passenger it wouldn't stop any terrorist to blow up the southern bus station, the Ferry to Koh Samui or the rails. So even if it works it would be just a placebo.

The trend : EVERYONE is a suspect now

Sounds like a time of long queues again and delays or missing for flights, like in Don Muang a few months ago,.......

... seems like it's Swampi Poon's turn this time to feel the consequences to the dismay of International toursits this time, with Chinese Anthems this time and many many more country anthems following suit clap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Edited by MaxLee

Not surprised to see your typical know-alls and Thai bashers using this thread to run any part of the country down that they can, in this case the airport security.

I have been flying in and out of Thailand for 10 years now, since August 2005, and I have always found the airport security equal to most other countries, in some cases more stringent.

As GK pointed out in an earlier thread, some posters don't have their facts straight when they comment.

As far as this comment goes - "the move includes close inspection of passports and luggage"

well even the village idiot knows this has already been common practice for many years. thumbsup.gif

As we are all aware, the militant Uighurs entered Thailand through the Cambodian border - a land crossing. In fact, 50,000 of them entered in that manner. Focus on land borders and the corrupt immigration officers. Tightening airport security will just drive tourists away.

Oh no...don't come here with logic.....

Putting the Swedish Family with 2 kids and the British Sextourists in the body scanner when LEAVING the country is the way to go......It will stop all Uighurs and other Islamists entering via Cambodia or Myanmar....