Phuket teen motorcyclist misses truck, hits tree

webfact

Phuket teen motorcyclist misses truck, hits tree
Eakkapop Thongtub

1441784979_1-org.jpg
An officer points to the point of impact on the tree. Photo: Eakkapop Thongtub

PHUKET: -- Police arrived at the scene, near Wat Phra Thong in Tambon Thepkrasattri, at 11:30am to find Suprawat Kaniengkarn, 19, unconscious in the middle of the road and traffic backed up on southbound lanes.

One witness told police that the motorbike was heading southbound at speed when the truck slowed down and the driver signaled to make a left turn.

“The motorbike swerved to avoid slamming into the truck, but hit the tree instead,” said Maj Nattaya Supanpong of the Thalang Police.

“The truck driver said he signaled to make his turn into a tyre repair shop and thought that drivers behind him would pay attention and slow down,” he added.

However, although the truck was attempting to turn left from the centre lane, Maj Nattaya said he had yet to press charges against either driver over the accident.

“We have yet to talk with Suprawat, as he is still in hospital, and hence we have yet to determine who – if anyone should faces charges,” he said.

Mr Suprawat was initially taken to Thalang Hospital and later transfered to Vachira hospital in Phuket Town, where he has regained consciousness and is recovering from a head injury and a broken right arm.

He was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-teen-motorcyclist-misses-truck-hits-tree-54026.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-09

“The truck driver said he signaled to make his turn into a tyre repair shop and thought that drivers behind him would pay attention and slow down,” he added.

However, although the truck was attempting to turn left from the centre lane, Maj Nattaya said he had yet to press charges against either driver over the accident.

According to the article, the truck driver was allegedly doing the correct thing. What charges could be levelled against the driver unless it is found that he is unlicenced or under the influence or alchohol, or drugs?

(I want to make it very clear that I'm NOT saying that he is unlicenced or was under the influence.)

It's a truck. Requires a greater turning circle. So, yes, makes sense that he wasn't attempting to turn into a tyre repair shop from the left lane.

His greatest error in judgement was thinking that other vehicle operators would "pay attention and slow down."

This is always the problem ,,, its always the big vehicle responsible even if the motorcycle drivers are obviously reckless when driving... These motorcycle drivers should be responsible too with their actions and not blame others.

"These motorcycle drivers should be responsible too with their actions and not blame others.".....rule number one for most Thai drivers....it's not my fault.

According to the article, the truck driver was allegedly doing the correct thing. What charges could be levelled against the driver unless it is found that he is unlicenced or under the influence or alchohol, or drugs?

(I want to make it very clear that I'm NOT saying that he is unlicenced or was under the influence.)

It's a truck. Requires a greater turning circle. So, yes, makes sense that he wasn't attempting to turn into a tyre repair shop from the left lane.

His greatest error in judgement was thinking that other vehicle operators would "pay attention and slow down."

Trucks do need a greater turning circle which in most civilized countries overtaking on the left or Blind side is against the law. I don't know how many times I have almost creamed a motorbike doing this when I clearly indicate. Just stupidity again from a child like nation. Maybe it's about time you grow up. Younger countries in the world already have more maturity than a country that is 1000's of years old.

'“The truck driver said he signaled to make his turn into a tyre repair shop and thought that drivers behind him would pay attention and slow down ...' He did? Seriously?

'... Suprawat ... was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.' Nor at any other time, no doubt.

Edited by Jonmarleesco

'“The truck driver said he signaled to make his turn into a tyre repair shop and thought that drivers behind him would pay attention and slow down ...' He did? Seriously?

'... Suprawat ... was not wearing a helmet at the time of the accident.' Nor at any other time, no doubt.

From the OP article:

"One witness told police that the motorbike was heading southbound at speed when the truck slowed down and the driver signaled to make a left turn."