Why does anyone rent a jet ski in Thailand?

willyumiii

I lived out side of Thailand for 64 years and traveled around a fair amount in North America. I never heard one word about jet ski scams in Thailand until I came to Thailand.

My guess as to why they rent them is because 1 they don't own one and 2 they are unaware of the scam they are on a holiday and they want to use one.

Is there a flaw in my logic?giggle.gif

Cause its bloody fun to rent one, and no you won't get scammed if you're not a sucker. If they can't extort money from you they'll just move on to the next target, one of them will surely bite. Indians tend to be on the naive side for example.

Given that the boys in brown are in on the scam, how are you going to refuse to pay up?

Have you ever seen the scammers in action?

Not sorry to say this, but jetskiis used close to shore are a vile nuisance to people trying to enjoy a day out at the beach and the people that ride them close to shore are antisocial.

Either make them go way off shore like they used to or ban the horrid things. I just wish the word would get out about the scammers so no one would rent them.

Because they are stupid, anti social louts?

Anyone that uses those horrid things near people trying to relax on the beach deserves to be scammed.

There was a time that people using jet skiis in Pattaya had to go way out to use them off barges moored offshore, but I see that is no longer the case.

Burn them all ( jet skiis ), I say.

Totally agree, but in all fairness this isn't just a problem for Thailand. A colleague of mine was killed by a thug on a hired jetski off Williamstown Melbourne a few years ago. There was a heatwave in Melbourne at the time and as normal the locals all crammed into the small bay, so at least up to neck level you really couldn't even swim but that didn't stop these selfish F###wits from speeding close to shore and killing him. While this is the worst I have heard, jet ski injuries in Australia are fairly common, and these things ruin a quiet day near the water and the hoons that hire these things bear no responsibility as they are hard to catch.

In Thailand I believe the scammers and the hoon riders deserve one another.

Why do people still fall for the "Grand palace is closed but i take you to special jewelry store sale" that has been going on before the first jet ski appeared?

If they're chines perhaps they have developed the taste for good diamonds (10 million baht ones)

• 2 weeks later...

I'm one of the people that Rumblecat described. I've used jet skis in many different places with no problem. It looks like Thailand won't be one of them. Thanks for the thread cause I never heard anything about this being a problem til now.

Now, is it possible to rent a 16 to 20 foot day cat without being scammed, robbed or beaten up???facepalm.gif

I'm one of the people that Rumblecat described. I've used jet skis in many different places with no problem. It looks like Thailand won't be one of them. Thanks for the thread cause I never heard anything about this being a problem til now.

Now, is it possible to rent a 16 to 20 foot day cat without being scammed, robbed or beaten up???facepalm.gif

In the 90s you could rent them on Chaweng beach. Only place I've seen them for rent. Perhaps Phuket somewhere. Probably a bit too expensive for the average scammer type to buy.

I was siting on the on the beach the other day,and noticed one of the touts was leaving the Farangs alone but chasing then Indians down the beach, they must see them as easy targets

Ha! Indians are far more sophisticated scam artists, than the Thais could ever hope to become

Edited by TuskegeeBen