Cabinet to be asked to completely ban second-crop farming for 2015-16 season

Lite Beer

Cabinet to be asked to completely ban second-crop farming for 2015-16 season

12-9-2558-10-58-26-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Ministry of Agriculture and Cooperatives will ask the cabinet at a meeting next Tuesday to completely ban second rice crop cultivation covering 15 million rai of farmland during the November 1, 2015-April 30, 2016 crop year due to anticipated serious water shortage.

Agriculture Minister Gen Chatchai Sarikalya pointed out that by the end of the rainy season at the end of October, it was anticipated that the country’s main dams would be able to store a total of 3,600 million cubic metres of water which is hardly enough for agricultural purpose.

The minister admitted that the anticipated water crisis was beyond the ability of the Agriculture Ministry to handle and, therefore, he would propose the cabinet to completely ban the second crop cultivation which is due to start in November and, at the same time, set up a crisis committee to mobilize all available sources to help the farmers when they cannot cultivate.

Due to water shortage this year, main croup cultivation covering 870,000 rai of farmland was not possible as the Irrigation Department substantially cut down the amount of water released into the Chao Phraya river basin, said the minister.

But despite the water cutback, he said farmers defied the warning and cultivated second crop in 6 million rai of farmland.

Although water shortage is expected to be serious at the end of this year and next year, General Chatchai noted that the situation would not warrant the invocation of Section 44 of the interim charter.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/cabinet-to-be-asked-to-completely-ban-second-crop-farming-for-2015-16-season

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-12

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So all the farmers will have to starve?

Or lose their farms when they can't repay their loans?

Probably both points are true.......just indicates the level of care elitists in the government, military etc, have for the 40 odd million rural people

Edited by ChrisY1

Probably both points are true.......just indicates the level of care elitists in the government, military etc, have for the 40 odd million rural people

Surely if there isn't going to be enough water for irrigation ( remember farmers don't pay for the water they use, just any cost for pumping it out of the klong ) then it is better to tell them now.

Otherwise they will borrow money ( many from loan sharks at exorbitant interest rates ) for cultivation, seed, fuel, fertilizer, spays etc only to find that in 3 months there is no water and their crop dies, but they still owe the money they borrowed. And then they will ask for money to cover their debts and to feed themselves.

Much better to let them sit with their mates under the shade of a large tree and drink Lao Khao for 4 months

Surely if there isn't going to be enough water for irrigation ( remember farmers don't pay for the water they use, just any cost for pumping it out of the klong ) then it is better to tell them now.

Otherwise they will borrow money ( many from loan sharks at exorbitant interest rates ) for cultivation, seed, fuel, fertilizer, spays etc only to find that in 3 months there is no water and their crop dies, but they still owe the money they borrowed. And then they will ask for money to cover their debts and to feed themselves.

Much better to let them sit with their mates under the shade of a large tree and drink Lao Khao for 4 months

You are 100% correct, Gunna... but how many farmers will listen? How many times have we heard about "bans" like this before that are never enforced (or enforced selectively so that water still reaches those who can pay)? Until we have a government that does more than just talk, farmers will do what they have done for generations. They have families to support and it is hard to blame them. Until there is transparency, consistency and an end to corruption here these kind of problems will continue. Unfortunately, our dear P.M. has shown that he does not have the power and/or cojones to make the call.

Hope the cabinet votes to give up half their income too.

Due to the very serious lack of rain this season, farmers are being requested / told / ordered not to plant rice due to the large volumes of water required to cultivate this crop.

What has serious water shortage got to do with cabinet members or for that matter taxi drivers, factory workers or go-go dancers?

The government has said it will find ways to assist the farmers who are in true need of help. Not the wealthy landowners from whom the farmers sometimes rent land.

If lack of water justifies not planting crops does lack of intellegence and knowledge how to govern a country mean the pm should hand over the duty to someone more competent?

Who would you suggest?

I know, why not Yingluck Shinawatra. After all look at the experience she had in politics before she was "elected" as PM.

Edited by billd766

We have rainy season now and more than enough within two months....

And how much rain is forecast in the next 3 months?

Thailand is coming to the end of the rainy season but water usage will not drop therefore Thailand will start next year with not as much water as this year and El Nino is still lurking around for another year at least.

And what the hell and they going to have to either pay for food with or eat?

They simply have to pay people not to grow. Ooooooh, evil populism makes a comeback.

Given the choice of eating or paying the debts they incurred trying to endure they could continue to eat, what will they do?

If next year is also another lean year for rain, we'll continue to see society breaking down, but next year (should that happen) I don't think Mr P will be able to control it ny having a hissy fit. If that happens, I suspect soldiers will start dying in the streets, it won't be a good time to be a grunt in Thailand.

They simply have to pay people not to grow. Ooooooh, evil populism makes a comeback.

Given the choice of eating or paying the debts they incurred trying to endure they could continue to eat, what will they do?

If next year is also another lean year for rain, we'll continue to see society breaking down, but next year (should that happen) I don't think Mr P will be able to control it ny having a hissy fit. If that happens, I suspect soldiers will start dying in the streets, it won't be a good time to be a grunt in Thailand.

Since they aren't busy they might all decide to go window shopping in CentralWorld.

I remember the ban on the drawing water they issued earlier, follwed a few days later by photos in the Post on the front page of 60 pumps the farmers had set up on a riverbank. It will be ignored, as most other orders are ignored, it is all about THEIR needs, besides Buddah will make it rain, we have been praying !!

Exactly, Every farmer will ignore this & do as they want, regardless of whether the Cities run out of water...

What are they going to do?

send the troops in?

who are mostly the sons of these very same farmers?

This will go down well... not...

If lack of water justifies not planting crops does lack of intellegence and knowledge how to govern a country mean the pm should hand over the duty to someone more competent?

Who would you suggest?

I know, why not Yingluck Shinawatra. After all look at the experience she had in politics before she was "elected" as PM.

I believe you will find it was Thaksin who was really the elected PM using Yingluck as his proxy.

Thaksin has plenty of experience, so his mouthpiece needs none.

And next time there is an election Thaksin (or his proxy) will again be elected.

As for our current, self elected PM Prayut Chan-ocha ....... I agree with everything he says ........ Peace.

(No arrest and jail for me!)

Edited by MaeJoMTB

While this makes sense and the amount of compensation needs to be worked out, farmers will

pay no attention, roll the dice, plant a second crop, if there is enough water great if the crop

withers demand aid as it was expensive to fertilize and plant the crop. Like every government

official who would like to end corruption, (for the other guy) farmers will agree (the other farmers

should not plant) to conserve water. whistling.gif

If you let the field go the year following rice will still grow pretty thick from dropped seeds. Also, rice does not need huge amounts of water. The water is mostly to keep down weeds. So, fallow fields will have a mix of rice, wild rice and grass.

We have rainy season now and more than enough within two months....

Well I don't know because I left my crystal ball at home, but I think you're probably wrong based on what people who know more and better than me have said. Which also accords with observation. Rivers low, ponds empty yet we've had a few good downpours in the past 2 weeks.

It seems the water is re-balancing the water content of the earth, not running off into rivers and dams.

The elite carpetbaggers are waiting in the wings to descend and buy up their land at a fraction of its value. This drought will now increase the 1% control of over 50% of the country enjoyed by the rich. This drought was bad for farmers but a godsend for the rich. Just another squeeze play.

Alternatively millions of Thai people will have NO water for consumption at all.

Do you have any sensible suggestions of what to do about it?

The magic moment comments seem to be "sink a borehole" guess that costs money to.

Better no rice as there is still enough (and compensate the farmers) then a country without drinking water.

Best would be rice and drinking water.. but drinking water is always the most important thing.

But of course the farmers need to be helped, cant ban and then not help them.

It won't make ANY difference WHO is in power in Thailand if the rain doesn't come.

General Nature will decide what will happen.

You could always go back several years and ask who ordered the dams to be drained down to low against all advice.

I will give you 2 clues.

1 It wasn't the military

2 It was an "elected" government who had chosen the best qualified people to be ministers and the minister of agriculture came from the Chart Thai Pattana party.

Who would you suggest?

I believe you will find it was Thaksin who was really the elected PM using Yingluck as his proxy.

Thaksin has plenty of experience, so his mouthpiece needs none.

And next time there is an election Thaksin (or his proxy) will again be elected.

As for our current, self elected PM Prayut Chan-ocha ....... I agree with everything he says ........ Peace.

(No arrest and jail for me!)

So according to you the country was being run from offshore by a convicted criminal fugitive.

And you are complaining about the Army taking over and being illegal.

Well, there is nothing more to say after that.