Condo rent on Canal Road

Sam Jones

Wife and I are thinking of moving to Canal Road near 700 year Stadium and rent a condo. So far we have been interested in Places like :

Touch Hill, Mountain Front, Baan Suan, Convention Condominium, Karnkanok 3, Chicview and The Resort.

Our condo should be about 70-100 sqm., Pool and Gym. Rent about 20-25,000. We have rented a private house until now so dont have any experience with Real Estate Agents either.

We would be very grateful if anybody have some positive / negative to say about these Places or others nearby.

Thanks for any advice.

I had good luck with ChiangMai Properties. Their office is across (sort of) from the Shangri La. Eak there showed me around and was very patient. I found a place in that price range here at The Shine Condominiums between Chang Klan and Chareon Prathet. Good luck!

I had good luck with ChiangMai Properties. Their office is across (sort of) from the Shangri La. Eak there showed me around and was very patient. I found a place in that price range here at The Shine Condominiums between Chang Klan and Chareon Prathet. Good luck!

He wasn't asking about recommending real estate agencies

I live in Baan Suan Greenery Hill (Earlier called Kaankanook 5).

I have rented a small place with mountain view to Doi Suthep - it is really nice. Quiet in the evening and no noise from the Canal Road, Birds singing in the morning. The building is about 6 years old according to people who live here but looks newer and is well maintenanced.
Good reception that takes care of things and speaks well English, too. Friendly people living here :)

Good swimming pool.

Only thing I miss is a laundry-machine downstairs.

Thanks for your info, CraXeliCrox.

We just looked at Baan Suan yesterday and it sure look nice and seems very quiet. Talked to some tennants and they told us that a paused Construction site - Touch Hill 2 - will continue very soon with lots of noise to follow. This info was confirmed by Baan Suan Manager and reception at Touch Hill, so we are gonna pass on both Baan Suan and Touch Hill.

The Resort : Ugly Building seen from the outside but beautiful pool area and big gym - friendly reception but condos overpriced

Mountain Front : Okay place with pool and gym

Convention Condominium : Lots of noise from road 24/7 I think but some okay condos vs Price

Should any members have condo for rent, you would be most welcome to send me PM - We can lease for 6/12 months

I agree that Chiang Mai Properties are by far the most professionel Real Estate Agency in CM - its hard to believe that some of the other Agencies actually are closed on sundays ...

My wife and I lived at the resort until earlier this year. Good condo block, not far from a local fresh market and great for runners. I ran everyday and it was convenient.

Pool ok, gym average.

I agree, Aussieroaming. The Resort look fine and pool area is great. Can you tell me if its a quiet condominium as our real estate agant told us that its almost empty ...

What Agency did you use, any pros / cons ?

I've lived in the convention condo, The resort and now I'm in Baan suan.

The convention condo is very good priced, cheap and clean enough, nice pool but small gym.

The resort has the best gym by far, it's a real sized gym with a lot of equipment, sauna... Pool and garden are amazing too. It's expensive but you pay for more than just the room, quiet and respectful owners and nice interior design. The nicest condo I've lived in by far. Big parking, friendly staff, nothing negative to say except it's of course a bit more pricey than the other around. For 20-25k you'll get a +/-70sq.m. room there.

Baan Suan is the worst of the three from my point of view. The gym is a small aquarium with 2-3 rusty machines, pool is nice but it's in the parking, personally after a pool in garden like at the resort, I barely go to the one at baan suan. View might be good if you are on the doi suthep side, but the other half has either view to the inside which means view on the opposite room or view on a construction site (the hinoki condo). I find it dark, old looking and depressing, trying to find something else asap.

This is my personal opinion

Hi OP. I am living in Karnkanok 3, I love it here, all the top floor condos are two stories (will meet your size requirements they have from around 80sqm- 180 sqm), also rents within your budget, great to have a living area and then upstairs for sleeping feels more like a house when you are in it rather than an apartment, the views are great, over the city and also of doi suthep mountain, hidden away from major roads so only noise to complain about is the plane noise which u will be getting anywhere in the area you mentioned. Friendly people living here and friendly helpful staff , Small pool, gym and sauna, private and hardly used. Location is excellent, good local restaurants in walking distance, and 5 minute scooter ride you can be at maya (supermarket, cinema, bars), the old city, hospitals, etc. If you got any questions Im more than happy to answer, hope it helps, cheers.

Edited by wisemonkey

Hi OP. I am living in Karnkanok 3, I love it here, all the top floor condos are two stories (will meet your size requirements they have from around 80sqm- 180 sqm), also rents within your budget, great to have a living area and then upstairs for sleeping feels more like a house when you are in it rather than an apartment, the views are great, over the city and also of doi suthep mountain, hidden away from major roads so only noise to complain about is the plane noise which u will be getting anywhere in the area you mentioned. Friendly people living here and friendly helpful staff , Small pool, gym and sauna, private and hardly used. Location is excellent, good local restaurants in walking distance, and 5 minute scooter ride you can be at maya (supermarket, cinema, bars), the old city, hospitals, etc. If you got any questions Im more than happy to answer, hope it helps, cheers.

Thx for your info about K3 - we had a look at it but the agent from Perfect H. was so inept that we left quite fast. Just an example : When we asked her why the pool was so dirty, she just said "dont know" - didnt even bother to ask the reception guy ... blink.png

Thx for your info about K3 - we had a look at it but the agent from Perfect H. was so inept that we left quite fast. Just an example : When we asked her why the pool was so dirty, she just said "dont know" - didnt even bother to ask the reception guy ... blink.png

LoL, Pools pump is actually broken at the moment, guy comes to clean manually twice a week until its fixed (which who knows when that will occur) usually they are on the ball though so cant imagine too long.

Which apartment did you end up looking at? Was it one of the two level ones on the fourth floor?

I think it was at 2. floor in Karnk. 3 but not 100 per cent sure as we have seen many condo´s lately - just remember the matress in bedroom looked like a crimescene and there was no kitchen appliances unlike what the pic on their web-site showed ...

I imagine that we might pick Conv. Condo or a house that has been offered privately.

We kind a liked Baan Suan but thats gonna be one big building-site soon

• 2 weeks later...

Baan Suan is the worst of the three from my point of view. The gym is a small aquarium with 2-3 rusty machines, pool is nice but it's in the parking, personally after a pool in garden like at the resort, I barely go to the one at baan suan. View might be good if you are on the doi suthep side, but the other half has either view to the inside which means view on the opposite room or view on a construction site (the hinoki condo). I find it dark, old looking and depressing, trying to find something else asap.

Forgot to inform you that Baan Suan will soon have view to a Construction site on the doi Suthep side as well since Touch Hill will continue to build Touch Hill 2, that have been on stand by for almost 2 years I am told, so Baan Suan not the place to go if you like Peace and quiet ...

On top of this there is also a Real Estate Agency that takes care of most of the free condos - this Agency is really not that realiable - this is what some tennants there say so be careful ....

Edited by Sam Jones

• 1 month later...

Forgot to inform you that Baan Suan will soon have view to a Construction site on the doi Suthep side as well since Touch Hill will continue to build Touch Hill 2, that have been on stand by for almost 2 years I am told, so Baan Suan not the place to go if you like Peace and quiet ...

On top of this there is also a Real Estate Agency that takes care of most of the free condos - this Agency is really not that realiable - this is what some tennants there say so be careful ....

Don't think there'll be Touch hill 2. Construction stopped for quite sometime. Refund had been given back to buyers for that building.

• 2 months later...

I realize this an old post.. But please humour me.

I am thinking of Touch Hill as new place for me. Looking at the map... Near 700 stadium.. It would appear that airplane NOISE world be an issue? Yes?

I live near 700 year stadium on the flight path. Airplane noise.... If my balcony doors are wide open then I can hear it, but if they are closed and music or TV is on I don't notice it.

Those thinking of renting a condo on Canal Road near CMU should check it out in the next hour. There is a free concert at Prasatland, so you can experience the worst case scenario in terms of noise.

I'm not able to locate prasatland in the map. Can you advise whereabout? Thanks.

Those thinking of renting a condo on Canal Road near CMU should check it out in the next hour. There is a free concert at Prasatland, so you can experience the worst case scenario in terms of noise.

I'm not able to locate prasatland in the map. Can you advise whereabout? Thanks.

Prasiertland (owned by Khun Prasiert) is that large open area you reach via either Canal Road or Soi 6, Nimman. The Tawan Daeng Bar and Infinity joint both face Prasiertland.

Prasiertland (owned by Khun Prasiert) is that large open area you reach via either Canal Road or Soi 6, Nimman. The Tawan Daeng Bar and Infinity joint both face Prasiertland.

Thanks for providing the excellent location information, and I apologize for my poor spelling--Prasiertland, not Prasatland. I was winging it.

700 year stadium is a safe distance away, but there are condos on Canal road and dormitories at CMU that have to endure the Prasiertland events and their very high noise levels on a regular basis. The noise is very noticeable to the east--Nimmanhamin-- but much worse towards the west.

I'm one of those who enjoy life on Nimmanhamin in spite of the noise, but if you are one of those who want a quiet place to live this is the wrong part of Chiang Mai. I'm not sure where the right part is, perhaps well outside of the city.

would stick with the house if it were me.

there are decent real condos (i live in one) with real walls and space but they are hard to find. most places you will find are shoddy room type arrangements with really thin walls and many neighbors roaming the halls, making noise etc. kind of like cheap hotel rooms in apartment blocks.

a real negative at low price points for me (15k and under) is listening to people having sex all night, usually with their beds pushed up against your bedroom wall with very thin walls. one wrong neighbor and it blows the whole arrangement. of course, people with more cash have sex too, but they tend to not do it as loudly and often as some bloke drunk on a two week bender. and in a better place which costs more you tend to not hear it as much when they do.

take walls into consideration with the cheap condos. many quite popular apartment blocks for expats which i won't name are essentially brothel type arrangements for short stay residents, especially the primarily foreigner oriented ones. if you need to work on the phone or talk to clients you need to take this into consideration as well because it's hard to speak to clients with a two headed monster in the next room.