Visa Waiver/Stamp On Arrival Concerns

by the way, we all know by now that there is no retirement visa. and that immigration adds since years the stamp "RETIREMENT" to my wife's and my yearly "extension of stay" is just to [check what is applicable]

o confuse us,

o show they don't like us,

o prove they have not moved the goal posts,

o make us aware they are after our retiree money.

laugh.png

attachicon.gifretiree visa.jpg

None of the above.

It is to confirm the reason why the extension of stay was granted.

Canadian Passport in hand I entered Thailand today on a 30 day Visa Exempt entry at the Cambodian border crossing at Poipet after leaving Thailand 10 minutes previously with an overstay fine I had to pay before leaving.

Here's the short version of my story:

Canadian passport 6 months old with one Tourist Visa and now one Cambodian Visa. Only stamps so far are ones associated with the TR Visa.

I have not done a visa exempt entry for probably 3 years as I was previously on a Non-Imm O Visa as parent of child studying here.

This time I was on a Tourist Visa obtained in Hong Kong and I flew in to Suvannabhumi Airport. Single entry. 60 days extended for 30 more = 90 days total

After 90 days I rented a car and drove from BKK to Poipet early in the morning.

Parked the car. Got out. Almost immediately I've made a new Cambodian friend and his younger brother who offer their services.

I want this done yesterday if ya know what I mean so I'm happy to pay for their services.

They took care of everything , all I did was hand them my photo and signed in a couple of places they put x's at.

After being coached by the one tout what not to say when the Immigration Official asks how long I plan to stay in Cambodia (definitely the answer is not ) I proceed to the Immigration Departure Hall. Apart from a handful of people hanging about at the back and what looked to be a couple legitimate tourists, I was the only other one there. No que. Last window/desk on the right for over stayers.

(At departure time I had been in Thailand 90 days + 9 hours. Overstay fine 500 baht.)

I get asked the question....my answer, well let's just say I didn't say 1.

Not sure if the Official believes my answer or me but accepts it nonetheless and out I go!

Technically in no man's land, my new Cambodian friends spot me, wave me over, whisk my passport away, relieve me of a few baht and before ya know it, Bob's your Uncle, passport back in hand stamped and ready to go. Bye bye Cambodia.

Back in the Arrivals hall/ building for Thai Immigration again. And again no que. I'm the only one there!

The Immigration Officer goes over my passport and says in the future I will be required to have a proper visa but that is all that's said. He stamps my passport and I'm back in the Land of Smiles:)

Hello Thailand.

Hope this helps in some way.

The crossing was a piece of cake really for a few hundred baht more why wouldn't ya do it?

I was very impressed with the Immigration Officers I encountered today, they all were very pleasant and obviously exercised their better judgement in my case anyways.

Arrived this morning & went through the premium lane - I.O. secrutinised all the 8 stamps for this year in the passport & asked how long I stay in Thailand this time. I showed him my E ticket , departure date 11/10/15 - no problem.

I thought I may as well ask if I needed a visa - he said that since I was not staying in excess of 30 days No Need,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• Like 1