Visa Waiver/Stamp On Arrival Concerns

I work oil and gas on a part time on call roster. Last R&R in Thailand I took a 4 day trip to Philippines and on return to SVP was questioned by the I.O.I was asked if I was working in Thailand ( I’m not ) she seemed to be saying the I have exceeded 6 visa waiver on arrival stamps and stayed for more that 10 days each time which is true. ‘You must get visa” she said “my computer tell me “

I’m over 50 & would qualify for a retirement visa I think, but I’m working?!

I cannot get tourist visas where I work or waste whole pages in my passport getting T.V.s as I have been coming to Thailand in excess of 6 or 7 times every year.

I must be flagged in the Thai computer. If the immigration people are satisfied that I am not working or involved in any criminal activity do you think the flag could be removed?

I’m flying Brisbane,Singapore,Bangkok, If I am denied entry would they send me back to Singapore, all the way to Brisbane or make me go back to the country of my passport

Should I take R&R in another more accommodating country or risk another stamped entry to Thailand armed with bank statements, cash, working visa (P.N.G.) contract return ticket?

• Like 1

The 6 entry flag doesn't mean definite denied entry and they cannot deny entry for not having a visa if you qualify for visa exemption. If denied then you are usually given the choice about where to fly to. It's highly unlikely that they would insist that you flew to your home country. You're not being deported as such, just denied entry and asked to leave.

No problem to get a retirement visa/extension as long as you don't work in Thailand.

Your future Options:

- Retirement Visa: Working outside of Thailand is OK. No work in Thailand permitted.

- Elite Visa (5 years, 500,000 baht) + a few perks.

- Continued Visa Exempt stamps on arrival - Expect questions. You'll need to prove you are working elsewhere (show contract+Work permit), Have a flight out of Thailand, Have 20,000 baht (or currency equivalent).

• Like 1

There's a guy in a similar situation who was refused entry at Bangkok airport and sent back to Europe, I have my suspicions that this is when this apparent 'crackdown' started - at the beginning of September.

The thread is here : http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/852826-refused-entry-at-bangkok-immigration/

There is no crackdown.

That was one out of thousands of entries by others.

He evidently could not satisfy the requirements I posted about earlier..

• Like 1

Your future Options:

- Retirement Visa: Working outside of Thailand is OK. No work in Thailand permitted.

- Continued Visa Exempt stamps on arrival - Expect questions. You'll need to prove you are working elsewhere (show contract+Work permit), Have a flight out of Thailand, Have 20,000 baht (or currency equivalent).

"- Retirement Visa: Working outside of Thailand is OK."

There really isn't any retirement visa and to get a non-imm O-A, which is often called a retirement visa, he would need to apply in his home country or country of legal residence.

He could get an extension of stay based on retirement and a multi re-entry permit, but he would need to be in the country on a non-imm O entry either by getting the visa in a neighboring country or doing a conversion in Bangkok.

FYI, my last 4-5 trips in I have been flagged too and the Immigration Officer has shown me the screen each time. I've explained my work which is the same as yours and they've stamped my visa, no problem. I just explain that I come for 26/27 days each time. Funnily enough, this time (two days ago) there was no fuss. Passing through I took a sneaky look at the screen and I was still flagged but the officer just stamped me through.

• Like 2

Your future Options:

There really isn't any retirement visa and to get a non-imm O-A, which is often called a retirement visa, he would need to apply in his home country or country of legal residence.

He could get an extension of stay based on retirement and a multi re-entry permit, but he would need to be in the country on a non-imm O entry either by getting the visa in a neighboring country or doing a conversion in Bangkok.

Wrong info! I used to work 10 weeks on 3 weeks off in Libya. I got my O-A Non-imm Visa at Chaengwattana Immigration after entering on a 30day visa free entry. They stamped the visa in Thai "for retirement", then gave me a 3 month extension and later extended it to 1 year. It is the only visa that is issued in Country, there is no need to go to another country and get a visa on the basis of retirement. (For the first application, you need to have deposited B800K in a Thai Bank Account 2 months prior to applying to Thai Immigration).

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

whistling.gif There is no prohibition against you working OUTSIDE of Thailand on any Thai entry visa.

Some visas may prohibit working on that visa INSIDE Thailand.

For example, if you are old enough the get a one -year retirement visa/extension it might say "work prohibited" on that retirement extension, but that only applies to work inside of Thailand.

If you had that retirement visa/extension....although you would have to meet the financial requirements, just as all of us retirees must to qualify for that visa/extension..... you ,once you had a yearly visa, could purchase a one year re-entry permit for 3900 Baht that would mean you never had to do a 90 day reporting if you didn't want to.

(0 day reports are only required if you stay longer than 90 days in Thailand at a time, and with your shift schedule you would never be in Thailand longer than 90 days in a row.

Therefore, no 90 reporting required unless you chose to remain in Thailand for 90 days or longer.

Each time you re-entered Thailand your 90 say reporting clock would be reset and restarted on your re-entry.

Your future Options:

Wrong info! I used to work 10 weeks on 3 weeks off in Libya. I got my O-A Non-imm Visa at Chaengwattana Immigration after entering on a 30day visa free entry. They stamped the visa in Thai "for retirement", then gave me a 3 month extension and later extended it to 1 year. It is the only visa that is issued in Country, there is no need to go to another country and get a visa on the basis of retirement. (For the first application, you need to have deposited B800K in a Thai Bank Account 2 months prior to applying to Thai Immigration).

You certainly did not get issued a OA visa at immigration. You were issued non immigrant visa with a the class shown on the stamp as non-o and got a 90 day entry stamp at the same time it was issued.

As said OA visas are only issued at an embassy or consulate in you home country or a country where you have legal residence.

Your future Options:

You certainly did not get issued a OA visa at immigration. You were issued non immigrant visa with a the class shown on the stamp as non-o and got a 90 day entry stamp at the same time it was issued.

As said OA visas are only issued at an embassy or consulate in you home country or a country where you have legal residence.

but that does not change the fact that he can get a visa for the "retirement whatever yearly extension of stay" stamp on the basis of the 30 day visa waiver entry. no such thing like "home country" mandatory. half a dozen of friends and acquaintances have used that option during the last 18 months.

Perhaps you could ask somebody to scan their visa stamp that shows it was an OA visa.

The problem is that people saying they got a OA visa leads people to believe that can get a OA visa that gives multiple one year entries for a year at immigration.

but that does not change the fact that he can get a visa for the "retirement whatever yearly extension of stay" stamp on the basis of the 30 day visa waiver entry. no such thing like "home country" mandatory. half a dozen of friends and acquaintances have used that option during the last 18 months.

You and Estrada are confusing the situation.

There are two Non-Immigrant visas available on the basis of retirement.

• O-A. This is ONLY available in the home country or country of official residence.
  • O. This is available in home countries or embassies/consulates abroad and at Bangkok by way of conversion.

When your friends and Estrada got their conversions at Bangkok it was a Non 'O' with a 90 day stay that was then extended for 1 year. It was definitely not an Non 'O-A'. Had any of them wanted a Non 'O-A' they would have had to go back to their home country/country of residence.

Thanks so much again for your prompt & useful advice - I will be sure to post here again should there be any problems ( or not) on Thursday 17/09/15 when I come back to Thailand.

Get yourself a retirement visa know plenty who work rotation outside Thailand and have a retirement visa

Or for a medium term solution, the 500k TE card, only USD 15 k and your good for 5 years

Perhaps you could ask somebody to scan their visa stamp that shows it was an OA visa.

The problem is that people saying they got a OA visa leads people to believe that can get a OA visa that gives multiple one year entries for a year at immigration.

Hi,

I dont understand your staement about OA visa. please elaborate.

I have an OB visa and have gone out of the country once so far. People have said i have to reort 3 monthly but I believed simply leaving and re-entering the country was good enough for the so called "report". maybe you can advise me.

Hi,

I dont understand your staement about OA visa. please elaborate.

I have an OB visa and have gone out of the country once so far. People have said i have to reort 3 monthly but I believed simply leaving and re-entering the country was good enough for the so called "report". maybe you can advise me.

That was in reply to the post just before mine. Read it and you will understand my post.

The is no OB visa or did you mean OA visa.

A OA visa is only issued at an embassy or official consulate.

You can leave the country before you are here for 90 or more days and not have to do a 90 day report.

• O-A. This is ONLY available in the home country or country of official residence.
  • O. This is available in home countries or embassies/consulates abroad and at Bangkok by way of conversion.
When your friends and Estrada got their conversions at Bangkok it was a Non 'O' with a 90 day stay that was then extended for 1 year. It was definitely not an Non 'O-A'. Had any of them wanted a Non 'O-A' they would have had to go back to their home country/country of residence.

i did not mention anything about a Non O-A visa but tried to tell the OP that there is no need to fly to his home country if he is aiming for "retirement" because that can be achieved locally. that was a helpful advice and not confusing.

bombarding him with legalities which are irrelevant for him is confusing! the same goes for the advice for somebody who is age 50 or above to spend money on some shady visa scheme when THB 800k in the bank can do the job too. anything else is nothing but superfluous pantopragmatic bla-bla.

i did not mention anything about a Non O-A visa but tried to tell the OP that there is no need to fly to his home country if he is aiming for "retirement" because that can be achieved locally. that was a helpful advice and not confusing.

bombarding him with legalities which are irrelevant for him is confusing! the same goes for the advice for somebody who is age 50 or above to spend money on some shady visa scheme when THB 800k in the bank can do the job too. anything else is nothing but superfluous pantopragmatic bla-bla.

It is very confusing if a person goes to an immigration office asking for an O/A visa only to be told by an IO that such a visa can only be obtained from the person's own country !

Are you aware that an extension of stay, based on retirement can be obtained without having "800K Bht" in the bank ?

You may not like using correct terminology but to avoid misleading people it is actually helpful and avoids confusion.

If you are working in PNG you have no chance of getting a visa. I worked over there and used the visa exempt every 6 weeks during my rotation. I was asked a couple oof questions once by Immigration but I showed him my work permit for PNG and he was satisfied. Where abouts are you working? I was up in the highlands

I didn't say you did. I said you were confusing the situation. Your last sentence was easily read as meaning that your friends and acquaintances used the option suggested by Estrada.

No one is bombarding him with legalities, but trying to correct confusing misinformation given about 'O-A' visas being available in Thailand.

It is very confusing if a person goes to an immigration office asking for an O/A visa only to be told by an IO that such a visa can only be obtained from the person's own country !

Are you aware that an extension of stay, based on retirement can be obtained without having "800K Bht" in the bank ?

You may not like using correct terminology but to avoid misleading people it is actually helpful and avoids confusion.

yes i am aware that the 800k are not mandatory but it's the easiest way and the amount is peanuts for an employee in the oil&gas industry. moreover, a person like

the OP doesn't walk into an immigration office to ask for advice. this thread proves my claim.

he should have been told in simple words "no need to fly anywhere, you can do it here!" instead of confusing him with -i am repeating myself- irrelevant legalities concerning O/As, I/Os and what not.

I am familiar with the requirements for getting a retirement/extension/visa, I have a print out which was given to me at Jomtien Immigration.

Just have to go to my embassy to get the letter confirming income, ( Stat Dec.) - have all the bank statements, tax declarations ,letter from my landlord, etc etc etc

I have a BKK Bank account (was real easy to get on visa waiver, showed them my P.N.G. drivers licence hahaha) - handy but not needed for what I am planning in any case

The documents will be useful if/when I am questioned on Thursday.

If you are working in PNG you have no chance of getting a visa. I worked over there and used the visa exempt every 6 weeks during my rotation. I was asked a couple oof questions once by Immigration but I showed him my work permit for PNG and he was satisfied. Where abouts are you working? I was up in the highlands

Onshore rig ,Moran/Manunda/Iagifu ,at Kutubu, Southern Highlands, P.N.G. - NOT a very nice place hence R&R in Thailand as often as possible.

Your future Options:

Difficult to read due to Red over-stamp: Actually it says "Dategory "O" but looked Like "OA" I assume Dategory is supposed to be category. The point as always is that you can get a VIsa based on retirement without visiting an Embassy in another Country. Offshore workers get a return ticket to the country they reside in so they will come back to Thailand on a 30 day visa free entry and apply at Bangkok Immigration for a Type O Non-Immigrant Visa.

Onshore rig ,Moran/Manunda/Iagifu ,at Kutubu, Southern Highlands, P.N.G. - NOT a very nice place hence R&R in Thailand as often as possible.

because of no headhunters in Thailand? tongue.png

because of no headhunters in Thailand? tongue.png

I was only there for 1 year but I thorooughly enjoyed the place.

by the way, we all know by now that there is no retirement visa. and that immigration adds since years the stamp "RETIREMENT" to my wife's and my yearly "extension of stay" is just to [check what is applicable]

o confuse us,

o show they don't like us,

o prove they have not moved the goal posts,

o make us aware they are after our retiree money.

laugh.png

post-35218-0-62548400-1442280539_thumb.j

by the way, we all know by now that there is no retirement visa. and that immigration adds since years the stamp "RETIREMENT" to my wife's and my yearly "extension of stay" is just to [check what is applicable]

o confuse us,

o show they don't like us,

o prove they have not moved the goal posts,

o make us aware they are after our retiree money.

laugh.png

attachicon.gifretiree visa.jpg

That stamp is to just give a large visual indication of what the extension is based upon.

Mine have this little note above them that says it is based upon marriage. My most recent one has a an 8 on it.

post-66997-0-91533500-1442283529_thumb.j