SURVEY: Is it going to be more difficult for foreigners to stay in Thailand due to the bombings?

Scott

SURVEY: Will it be more difficult for foreigns to stay in Thailand  

350 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem for me in having a definitive view is the irrationality of the authorities who, far too often, have a knee jerk reaction or act on a whim without thinking things through then don't like to lose face sorting out a mess of their own making.

Land borders appear to be causing problems so just book a flight out of and then returning to the country.

There was a post about someone refused entrance at the airport but I guess we will see how this pans out in the coming weeks and months.

As mentioned earlier, there will be officers/locations who may enforce current regulations more aggressively. Rules will not change, but longer lines and requests for additional supporting evidence may increase.

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

If there were to be any recommendations on visa issues, Immigration should focus more on short term visa holders. Expats that lived here for several years..and who are getting up in age, should be excluded from excessive scrutiny. I think we are not generally under suspicion of illegal activities, for the most part. Five years of observing proper reporting and completing extensions without incidents should be considered a "probationary period". I would recommend a permanent residency card issued..after that point, with only annual reporting.

Edited by slipperylobster

I think there is going to be closer scrutiny of all classes of people staying in Thailand.

Governments use so called terrorist attacks as an excuse to crack down on lots of other things. This precedent was undoubtedly set by the US after 9/11. I doubt Thailand will be any different. Asean border controls theoretically are lifted on January 1st 2016. There is not much talk here, of what that will really mean. If implemented one can expect an influx of people from other Asean countries who will seek employment in lower paid jobs. Lower income foreigners will therefore be less attractive to Thai authorities. Many of these do not pay tax and do not contribute greatly to the Thai economy. They will be encouraged to leave by more stringent visa enforcement and other restrictions. That's how I read it, but hope I am wrong!

This is little more than a blame game. The border crossings are replete with military personnel and most of the land crossings have check points after you enter Thailand for further scrutiny.

The gov't screwed up by repatriating a group of Uighurs to China and then letting some go on to Turkey. Nearly all levels of gov't have been complicit in the various methods of human trafficking from the Rohinghyas to the underage prostitutes from Laos and Cambodia. They opened a Pandora's box and now they are paying the price. The mafia types don't play nice.

The ones who will pay are the thousands of migrant workers from neighboring countries who sweep the houses and roads in the moobahns and have to do visa runs. And once they aren't available, the wealthy will be upset and once they are upset, everything will return to normal. Or semi-normal.

Someone will be paying more, but it will be to different people. That's how most things work here. Corruption is money that is collected by the people someone doesn't like; otherwise it's OK.

There will be a lot more control. For sure.

This will be bad for all those who are in irregular situation or just borderline.

For others instead (us mostly smile.png​ ) they will be good customers in order easily identifiable violin.gif . The formalities should normally find remarkably improved.

From what I have heard, there will be an actual immigration policy announced which will limit foreigners to 90 days of visa free entry per year. So, it will make it harder for foreigners to stay in Thailand for long periods of time on the basis of border runs. It means that these long-staying foreigners will need to go to foreign embassies and get proper tourist or other visas.

In the short-term, all visa entries will be difficult. Cambodia borders are basically closed for entry. However, the airports are still available for entry. I am willing to bet immigration in Thailand will even scrutinize extensions of stay more than they currently do. This is all because of the confusion caused when immigration doesn't announce rules, and the inline immigration officers are acting on rumors from the superiors within their departments to be stricter with foreigners.

This is little more than a blame game. The border crossings are replete with military personnel and most of the land crossings have check points after you enter Thailand for further scrutiny.

The gov't screwed up by repatriating a group of Uighurs to China and then letting some go on to Turkey. Nearly all levels of gov't have been complicit in the various methods of human trafficking from the Rohinghyas to the underage prostitutes from Laos and Cambodia. They opened a Pandora's box and now they are paying the price. The mafia types don't play nice.

The ones who will pay are the thousands of migrant workers from neighboring countries who sweep the houses and roads in the moobahns and have to do visa runs. And once they aren't available, the wealthy will be upset and once they are upset, everything will return to normal. Or semi-normal.

Someone will be paying more, but it will be to different people. That's how most things work here. Corruption is money that is collected by the people someone doesn't like; otherwise it's OK.

"Corruption is money that is collected by the people someone doesn't like; otherwise it's OK."

Very Well Written! Good on you!

wai.gif biggrin.png

As mentioned earlier, there will be officers/locations who may enforce current regulations more aggressively. Rules will not change, but longer lines and requests for additional supporting evidence may increase.

On a positive note, multi-entry tourist visas may become more available. I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier.

If there were to be any recommendations on visa issues, Immigration should focus more on short term visa holders. Expats that lived here for several years..and who are getting up in age, should be excluded from excessive scrutiny. I think we are not generally under suspicion of illegal activities, for the most part. Five years of observing proper reporting and completing extensions without incidents should be considered a "probationary period". I would recommend a permanent residency card issued..after that point, with only annual reporting.

I see that we share the same dream. Sadly I think that is what it will remain.

From what I have heard, there will be an actual immigration policy announced which will limit foreigners to 90 days of visa free entry per year. So, it will make it harder for foreigners to stay in Thailand for long periods of time on the basis of border runs. It means that these long-staying foreigners will need to go to foreign embassies and get proper tourist or other visas.

In the short-term, all visa entries will be difficult. Cambodia borders are basically closed for entry. However, the airports are still available for entry. I am willing to bet immigration in Thailand will even scrutinize extensions of stay more than they currently do. This is all because of the confusion caused when immigration doesn't announce rules, and the inline immigration officers are acting on rumors from the superiors within their departments to be stricter with foreigners.

Any links or reports in the papers etc, or is it just another hopeful rumour?

Nowadays "I have heard........." means nothing without a backup.

Although the bribery case is a serious breach of 'conduct and security' i believe that as long as Thai Immigration handles my family's case according to the law they stipulated in the for us important chapter, it is beyond mine and family members interest to know what immigration does in their time other then attending our case.

One thing though is clear for us, IF we HAVE to start making unlawful payments, we are moving away from Thailand. Period.

It never happened in more then XX decades!

I agree with most of your post except for the following "I also see that the 90 day reporting (online) is a snap, and has made life so much easier." and no it is not a snap for most of us and has not made our life easier. Once you get a new passport or have entered prior to 2013 your SOL. I just did my visa extension last week and you would think my new passport number and my 2010 arrival date would update my on file stats so I can report online but it does not. They should have tested this system thoroughly before putting it online. They should also have made the online queue system bullet proof before putting it online as well. As the 10 slots were mostly filled by 12.05 am it was obvious that more queue slots would be needed but closing of the queue system was really a big step backward. It de-streamlined the process and put us back in the horse and buggy area of visa extension reporting. I have heard a rumor from a good source that we are stuck with the Promenada office in Chiang Mai contrary to all the Immigration posturing and grandstanding promises of a new structure at the airport location. My source tells me "no funding from Bangkok" Guess all our "donations" here are a one way street. Guess the general coffers are running low. My source tells me that Immigration has "signed" a long term lease with the plaza management. Again rumors but from a reliable source so lets see what the days ahead bring.

I just renewed (re-extended) my Non-O marriage visa last week and it was delayed while the police came over to my house and made sure I wasn't a bomber and that I had a valid receipt for the correct amount from immigration. The funniest part was, these police officers have been my nieghbors for 10 years. Many of them came to my wedding and we attend the same temple for funnerals and festivals.

We had a few laughs, shared a couple of beers and took some selfies and that was that. It's orders from the "big boys" trickling down that are making things stranger.

There are people from some countries and cultures I would only allow for medical purposes. Thailand does not need them and they cause far too much trouble for the little they spend here.

---------------------------

Agreed, and they tend to gather in places like Pattaya and Phuket wearing , "Good men go to heaven, bad men go to Pattays shirts."

Any links or reports in the papers etc, or is it just another hopeful rumour?

Nowadays "I have heard........." means nothing without a backup.

Go and look in the news section on the thread talking about this border "closure" some has quoted a sign which talks about 90 day allowances