Heatlhy Smoothies, Please share recipes!

sup3r1or

Hello everyone, there might be a similar topic somewhere but I wanted to start this one in a hope to easier compile recipes.

I only plan to get into this whole smoothie thing. Would anyone be kind enough to share recipes here for healthy smoothies and how do you prepare them. All kinds are welcome, fruit and veg/nuts/seeds anything.

I looked up some recipes online but problem a lot are western style and some ingredients are very hard to come by here. Some something that utilizes local produce (there is plenty on the market though I'm not familiar with a lot of local veg).

Thank you.

I'm on a Low Carb, High Fat diet and I make this one up, thick, creamy and very good for you, I make it in my blender.

It is also good for helping to reduce your Cholesterol and or keep it down.

1 Cold Coconut Milk (small pack)
1/2 a fist sized Dragon fruit
a handful of frozen Raspberries
1 tablespoon of ground up Flax Seed (grind it first)

1 Teaspoon of Psyllium Husk

You can leave the last 2 out if you want, occasionally I also add a raw egg to it.

If you do add the last 2, add them last and drink it fairly quickly or the Psyllium husk will make it that thick you almost can't drink it.

Also Coconut milk and fresh Pineapple make a very nice smoothie.

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

optional & maybe not so healthy

2 small spoons of sugar

2 small spoons of cocoa (I use Nestle chocolate powder)

liquidize until foamy.

Might even be wise to take the milk from the main recipe and add it to the optionals. My Ex. told me last month that her Doc. told her to cut out all dairy products....including Yogurts etc., They are definitely a No No he said. Then again, too many eggs were supposed to be bad for you....now they say that was bad advice.

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

2 small spoons of sugar

liquidize until foamy.

Might even be wise to take the milk from the main recipe and add it to the optionals. My Ex. told me last month that her Doc. told her to cut out all dairy products....including Yogurts etc., They are definitely a No No he said. Then again, too many eggs were supposed to be bad for you....now they say that was bad advice.

what disease does she has that doesn't allow Yoghurt?

I'm on a Low Carb, High Fat diet and I make this one up, thick, creamy and very good for you, I make it in my blender.

You can leave the last 2 out if you want, occasionally I also add a raw egg to it.

If you do add the last 2, add them last and drink it fairly quickly or the Psyllium husk will make it that thick you almost can't drink it.

While I don't understand what the reason of High Fat is, only reading about that makes me hungry.......

If you don't want to go over the +- 6 teaspoons of sugar you should eat per day I think you should cut out the fruit and any low fat dairy products (fat is taken out of low fat products and replaced by sugar - in most cases). In many cases fruit juice and many commercial smoothies contains more sugar than fizzy drinks. Eat fruit and drink water = healthy

go to ahashare…they have a great book section full of cookbooks with recipes and the like….scroll through the first 5 pages and you will find dozens of books dedicated to smoothie recipes.

I reckon once you know the basics you can come up with your own recipes.

I would never use milk….but yoghurt and coconut water make a very good base for any smoothie.

go to ahashare…they have a great book section full of cookbooks with recipes and the like….scroll through the first 5 pages and you will find dozens of books dedicated to smoothie recipes.

I reckon once you know the basics you can come up with your own recipes.

I would never use milk….but yoghurt and coconut water make a very good base for any smoothie.

Interesting. I'm not familiar with Ahashare- could you post a link?

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

2 small spoons of sugar

liquidize until foamy.

That looks good, but is there any reason why you picked bananas? Surely you could put any other fruit in it's place.

If you don't want to go over the +- 6 teaspoons of sugar you should eat per day I think you should cut out the fruit and any low fat dairy products (fat is taken out of low fat products and replaced by sugar - in most cases). In many cases fruit juice and many commercial smoothies contains more sugar than fizzy drinks. Eat fruit and drink water = healthy

yes unfortunately many of the non fat products are very sweet.

But you can buy perfect non fat milk and now in some supermarket non fat yoghurt and non fat greek yoghurt (plain yoghurt nothing added). Not cheap but can get.

I add some fruit (OK there is sugar) and a little bit of organic stevia. As I never eat sugar a little of stevia taste very sweet for me, so in that small amount I don't get that ugly taste of it.

no fat, very little carbohydrates, good protein, calcium, vitamins, minerals, etc etc. But need time to get used to it, it's not a chocolate cake....

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

2 small spoons of sugar

liquidize until foamy.

what disease does she has that doesn't allow Yoghurt?

Use semi skimmed or non fat milk.

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

2 small spoons of sugar

liquidize until foamy.

That looks good, but is there any reason why you picked bananas? Surely you could put any other fruit in it's place.

banana make it creamy and high viscosity licklips.gif and sweet

I started smoothies 4 years ago as i would catch flu twice a year, since then....not a sniff. Recently diagnosed with mild COPD so i now really pack the vitamins in.

Don't use carton juice or soya milk as a base, too much sugar and chemicals.

I juice 2 x large carrots and 2 x large oranges as my base for the smoothie ( for two people). Add that to the blender with an apple, banana, half a mango, large slice of pineapple, honey, pumpkin seeds plus frozen (from Makro) blueberries #1 fruit in the world and frozen mandarin oranges. Add ice cubes as required.

This will keep you going until lunchtime.

1/2 cup ice

4 small bananas

1/2 cup milk

2 small spoons of sugar

liquidize until foamy.

Throw a green apple into that one and see what a difference it will make.

A dash of cinnamon helps, too.

I started smoothies 4 years ago as i would catch flu twice a year, since then....not a sniff. Recently diagnosed with mild COPD so i now really pack the vitamins in.

Don't use carton juice or soya milk as a base, too much sugar and chemicals.

I juice 2 x large carrots and 2 x large oranges as my base for the smoothie ( for two people). Add that to the blender with an apple, banana, half a mango, large slice of pineapple, honey, pumpkin seeds plus frozen (from Makro) blueberries #1 fruit in the world and frozen mandarin oranges. Add ice cubes as required.

This will keep you going until lunchtime.

Maybe the Vitamin C?

My favorite is:

1 Banana

1/2 Orange (Peeled)

1 cup Mango's (Frozen)

1 cup Soy Vanilla milk (Or Skim milk)

1 scoop Protein powder (Vanilla) I use Lean shake from GNC

A little bit of bottled water

Just got one of those Nutri-Bullet juicers and love it (not endorsing or affiliated - it just works for me)

Best

Not hugely healthy but dead refreshing in hotter weather.

1 cup frozen raspberries

1 cup cantaloupe or watermelon

1/2 cup of ice

Juice of one lime

2 scoops of vanilla ice cream

1/2 a pint of good strong Cider (Organic or Thatcher's Katy if you can find it)

Whizz the first five ingredients till foamy, then pour in the cider and stir in by hand then go for it.

Hello everyone, there might be a similar topic somewhere but I wanted to start this one in a hope to easier compile recipes.

I only plan to get into this whole smoothie thing. Would anyone be kind enough to share recipes here for healthy smoothies and how do you prepare them. All kinds are welcome, fruit and veg/nuts/seeds anything.

I looked up some recipes online but problem a lot are western style and some ingredients are very hard to come by here. Some something that utilizes local produce (there is plenty on the market though I'm not familiar with a lot of local veg).

Thank you.

I've been doing smoothies for awhile and it has improved my health greatly.

Was thinking the same thing when I'm back there on what to use, but it obviously comes down to taste as you can get the staples and try new stuff.

Base:

3 greens, ginger, red or yellow pepper, 2 fruits (1sweet and the other not as sweet), coconut, water.

Like mentioned, you can.put anything you want, but I like it kind of earthy but sweeter is fine. You can.put in uncooked sweet potato or oatmeal for more calories, but unless you want to gain weight or use for a workout then you will not need this.

Just make sure you have covered your macro nutrients.

Edit: forgot to add protein. I use a healthy protein powder but plain greek yoghurt will do.

Watch the soy guys, as too much will, ahhm, give you bent nail syndrome. But seriously, Soy and flax are estrogen producing, so just watch the intake if your T is borderline low. I still periodically use flax.

Good thread.

Edited by Friendly Stranger

Nice one and good you use husk, as everyone should use it.

Question: where do you find raspberries in BKK? As they're a fortune in villa and I did not see them in.local markets.

Go to the market, see what fruit is available and buy a bunch of each.

At home cut into pieces, stick it in a blender with crushed ice.

If you want throw in some leafy green veggies and carrots too.

Eating fruit and veg isn't rocket science.

Agree - but finding a range of tastes that suit can be a bit more scientific.