Interview about new Chiangmai Immigration office

RxDan

the do so called gooders,got on there band wagon,and started to make waves,thinking there way was more important than there hosts,thai culture do not like interference or be dictated to by a outsider,or questioned for that matter

What is a "do so called gooders"?

It now seems complaints to the immigration department and the questioning of their efficiency have led us to an even worse off situation.

How does complaining about having to line up at 4am to maybe get a number to be served that day lead to "an even worse off situation"?

Are you inferring that immigration heard our complaints and are purposefully making things even more difficult? If you are right, it speaks volumes about the integrity of immigration....

Hey, all we are asking here is that this office run itself professionally and give some respect to those who are trying to do the right thing regarding immigration requirements.

I don't know what countries you people are from, but would this sort of behavior be tolerated there? Of course not.

Anyway, please explain what do-gooders are in relation to this situation, and how the immigration situation has worsened because of complaints and the questioning of their "efficiency."

My comment was referring to the fact that the explanation for the cancellation of the online queue for extensions was complaints.

I also thought the move to Promenada was to address the questioning of the old office's efficiency and from the many posts I've read this does not seem to be the case.

Speaking for myself living in another province (Lampang) certainly the cancellation of the online queue for extensions has definitely made things worse!

Fortunately twice a month a couple of Chiangmai immigration officers drive up to Lampang City to process 90 day reports for those of us in the vicinity.

Habfan, So that still is happening. What days of the month and could you explain the process? Appointment needed, etc.

• Replies 252
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the do so called gooders,got on there band wagon,and started to make waves,thinking there way was more important than there hosts,thai culture do not like interference or be dictated to by a outsider,or questioned for that matter

It now seems rse off situation.

How does complaining about having to line up at 4am to maybe get a number to be served that day lead to "an even worse off situation"?

Are you inferring that immigration heard our complaints and are purposefully making things even more difficult? If you are right, it speaks volumes about the integrity of immigration....

Hey, all we are asking here is that this office run itself professionally and give some respect to those who are trying to do the right thing regarding immigration requirements.

I don't know what countries you people are from, but would this sort of behavior be tolerated there? Of course not.

Anyway, please explain what do-gooders are in relation to this situation, and how the immigration situation has worsened because of complaints and the questioning of their "efficiency."

My comment was referring to the fact that the explanation for the cancellation of the online queue for extensions was complaints.

I also thought the move to Promenada was to address the questioning of the old office's efficiency and from the many posts I've read this does not seem to be the case.

Speaking for myself living in another province (Lampang) certainly the cancellation of the online queue for extensions has definitely made things worse!

Fortunately twice a month a couple of Chiangmai immigration officers drive up to Lampang City to process 90 day reports for those of us in the vicinity.

CM Immigration stated the reason they cancelled the "online queue" was because expats complained about it but that isn't the reason it was cancelled. The current sad state of affairs with CM immigration is no way the fault of expat complaints or immigration officials in Bangkok. All fingers point in one direction. Please read some of the earlier posts.

Let me use this analogy for the sake of comparative analysis:

If CM Immigration stated the reason they cancelled the "online queue" was because expats complained about it, then isn't it logical to assume that CM immigration would cancel the current 'stand-in-line' queue system based on the number of complaints about it?

Using the same logic, should they not abandon the 'stand-in-line' queue system and implement a new, revised queue system where they announce over the loud-speaker that an appointment is available, and the individual who is the strongest and most aggressive, and who can push though the doorway first, gets that appointment. Or - you hire an agent.

I mean, they say they cancelled the 'on-line system' based on complaints from expats, and I basically hear nothing but complaints about having to stand in line for one of the 20 retirement extension queue numbers, so the one viable conclusion I can come up with is to scrap the 'stand-in-line' queue system just as they did the 'on-line' queue system and go with the choice between an anarchical free-for-all for each appointment slot, or conversely, the option to hire an agency.

From a rhetorical standpoint, these are the same problems, and hence the same solution should be applied to these two similar problems.

Hegelian Dialectics 101:

If you don't understand, don't worry too much, you're in the majority, your not suppose to understand.

"About the on-line queue: Col. Rutjapong said it was discontinued because it can't accommodate two locations and generated many complaints."

If complaining is a reason to discontinue a service then a whole lot of people should shut up before more complaining shuts down more services. HELLO!

So we should be good, quiet, compliant, non-questioning sheep, correct? Try going forward and read my last posts http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855742-interview-about-new-chiangmai-immigration-office/?p=9870480.

At some point in the future: near, intermediate, or on a longer timeline, Thailand is going to have to face the facts of existing in a global community. Look at the mass migration happening in the EU, UK, and US. We're just 'guests' of our 'host country'. I think that particular paradigm is going to have a relatively short shelf life and will soon start to break down under the influence of the large, global players. It will start with the implementation of ASEAN when suddenly there is going to be significant global pressure applied to Thailand to conform to immigration policies that, from their highly nationalistic perspective, they are not going to like - at least if they plan to continue to export to the EU, UK, and the US or other nations that can actually buoy their GDP. Once there is enough international pressure applied by entities such as the IMF and various international (Western) NGOs, this closed border policy is eventually going to succumb to the realities of global economics and politics. It will start locally (actually it has already started) with an outcry of indignation over the treatment of workers who legally enter Thailand under immigration policy governing those nations who signed on to ASEAN, including the working conditions they are subject to, and will eventually expand to expats, like ourselves, whose home countries implement immigration policies that are light-years ahead of Thailand. Eventually there will be a call for quid pro quo. or equal application of immigration policy, international law, and human rights. What Thai National who accompanies a spouse or family member to the EU, UK, or US is subjected to the type of demeaning treatment that is the norm for treating foreigners here in Thailand? Even the Buddha said, "Everything changes." Thai immigration policy will eventually be forced to change. Even if they cut ties with the West and attempt to support their country by aligning with China and the BRICs, Thai immigration policy will eventually still be forced to change, most likely by China.

Do I feel like a 'guest' in my 'host country'. No. I make more money than a average middle class family with all members working and earning. I contribute more to the financial benefit of Thailand than the majority of Thais. I pay taxes. In many coherent, sane counties, I'd have a clear path toward Permanent Residency, and if I wanted, possibly Citizenship. If you buy into that 'guest' malarkey, then you accept being a 'classless entity' who simply is a conduit to funnel money into Thailand in return for nothing. Not even a modicum of respect.

But change will happen! Will this happen in my life-time? Maybe. Maybe not. But it will change. For better or for worse? The future is uncertain. Only time will tell.

You're right, Masuk. This from the NY Times, in an editorial last week: "The Thai state spent more than 72 percent of public funds in greater Bangkok, where only 17 percent of Thais lived, according to 2012 figures from the World Bank, the most recent data available."

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/opinion/how-to-save-the-thai-economy.html?_r=0

Of course they need more billion baht bike paths for the elites paid for out of the public coffers.

I'm afraid I gave up believing anything that comes from an Immigration spokesperson a long time ago.

Immigration offices are a gold mine for any ruling Government.CM is no exception.

It takes, on average, an officer 10-15 minutes to process a retirement extension.The online system had 10 slots for a whole day.

CM is Thailands second biggest city with a ratio of expats to Thais that would far exceed Bangkok.Go figure.

CM is Thailand's fourth largest city, behind Bangkok, Udon Thank, and Nonthaburi; or it's seventh largest city, by some whacky calculation I couldn't fathom.

Definitely not second, though...

Saying Nonthaburi isn't part of the greater Bangkok area is like saying Anaheim or Hollywood isn't part of the greater Los Angles area.

I'm afraid I gave up believing anything that comes from an Immigration spokesperson a long time ago.

Immigration offices are a gold mine for any ruling Government.CM is no exception.

It takes, on average, an officer 10-15 minutes to process a retirement extension.The online system had 10 slots for a whole day.

CM is Thailands second biggest city with a ratio of expats to Thais that would far exceed Bangkok.Go figure.

Just to clear up a popular fallacy - Chiang Mai is not Thailand's second largest city. It lies number 7 after Korat.

Bangkok 5,104,476 Samut Prakan 388,920 Mueang Nonthaburi 291,555 Udon Thani 247,231 Chon Buri 219,164 Nakhon Ratchasima 208,781 Chiang Mai 200,952

There are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

-attributed to Mark Twain

Muang Chiang Mai 200,952 not counting the other 1,500,000 folks immediately surrounding the downtown area.

I'm sure that applies to Pamut Prakan, Udon Thani, and Korat, and like I said before, I consider Nonthaburi to simply be the suburbs of Bangkok just like Laksi and Rangsit. I've also lived in Korat. Muang Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat) 208,781 plus that other 1,800,000 surrounding the downtown area. Lies, damn lies, and...

...Statistics!!! That puts the argument about who deserves the lion's portion of the national budget in perspective. Eh? Everyone else are the proverbial Red-headed step-children (as opposed to the Yellow-haired darling child of the BKK elite).

About the on-line queue: Col. Rutjapong said it was discontinued because it can't accommodate two locations and generated many complaints. He said the programming is done in Bangkok.

Well, duh! Two locations? How on earth could that interweb computer thing be able to know how to book at TWO locations? The mind boggles!

And clearly nobody in Chiang Mai could possibly have the skill and knowledge that the computer geniuses in Bangkok have. Making a program to put your name in a queue to go to ONE location is so impossibly complex that only the computer mavens in the nation's capital could possibly make it happen.

It's obvious you don't know a thing about computer systems. This is a centralized system designed and put in place in Bangkok. Of course, they're not going to give local offices the ability to make changes.

/Sarc On

It's probably coded in COBOL with (compatibility patches in C and Perl that no one in Thai Immigration IT services can understand) running on a IBM XT with Window NT 3.51 / IIS 3.0 and coded by an Indian foreign national who has long since left the country due to work permit issues in order to work in Silicon Valley on a H1B visa considering he rather be coding with current programming languages on state of the art computer platforms and making 20x the salary.

/Sarc Off

Edited by CALSinCM

"About the on-line queue: Col. Rutjapong said it was discontinued because it can't accommodate two locations and generated many complaints."

If complaining is a reason to discontinue a service then a whole lot of people should shut up before more complaining shuts down more services. HELLO!

So we should be good, quiet, compliant, non-questioning sheep, correct? Try going forward and read my last posts http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/855742-interview-about-new-chiangmai-immigration-office/?p=9870480.

At some point in the future: near, intermediate, or on a longer timeline, Thailand is going to have to face the facts of existing in a global community. Look at the mass migration happening in the EU, UK, and US. We're just 'guests' of our 'host country'. I think that particular paradigm is going to have a relatively short shelf life and will soon start to break down under the influence of the large, global players. It will start with the implementation of ASEAN when suddenly there is going to be significant global pressure applied to Thailand to conform to immigration policies that, from their highly nationalistic perspective, they are not going to like - at least if they plan to continue to export to the EU, UK, and the US or other nations that can actually buoy their GDP. Once there is enough international pressure applied by entities such as the IMF and various international (Western) NGOs, this closed border policy is eventually going to succumb to the realities of global economics and politics. It will start locally (actually it has already started) with an outcry of indignation over the treatment of workers who legally enter Thailand under immigration policy governing those nations who signed on to ASEAN, including the working conditions they are subject to, and will eventually expand to expats, like ourselves, whose home countries implement immigration policies that are light-years ahead of Thailand. Eventually there will be a call for quid pro quo. or equal application of immigration policy, international law, and human rights. What Thai National who accompanies a spouse or family member to the EU, UK, or US is subjected to the type of demeaning treatment that is the norm for treating foreigners here in Thailand? Even the Buddha said, "Everything changes." Thai immigration policy will eventually be forced to change. Even if they cut ties with the West and attempt to support their country by aligning with China and the BRICs, Thai immigration policy will eventually still be forced to change, most likely by China.

Do I feel like a 'guest' in my 'host country'. No. I make more money than a average middle class family with all members working and earning. I contribute more to the financial benefit of Thailand than the majority of Thais. I pay taxes. In many coherent, sane counties, I'd have a clear path toward Permanent Residency, and if I wanted, possibly Citizenship. If you buy into that 'guest' malarkey, then you accept being a 'classless entity' who simply is a conduit to funnel money into Thailand in return for nothing. Not even a modicum of respect.

But change will happen! Will this happen in my life-time? Maybe. Maybe not. But it will change. For better or for worse? The future is uncertain. Only time will tell.

Fantasy land.

I'm baffled by the anger about the move. The airport location was small, cramped and chaotic. There was no parking. The small waiting area was hot and uncomfortable. I find the new office to be better organized, faster and much less stressful.

I guess haters are going to hate, no matter what....

You sound like a progressive liberal. They like to bandy around that word 'hater' when other individuals voice an opinion that is counter to their own. You should just agree that you disagree. It's a much more mature approach to establishing constructive dialog. Tossing out the word 'hater' is simply adding a rude pejorative into the dialog. Name calling is effective (if you're a follower of Saul Alinsky's Rules for Radical) but at it's best it is infantile. It's akin to using a sledge hammer to push in a thumb tack.

So, join me in dropping the name calling, like the 'hater' liberal-speak and you'd find we (and others who have voiced opinions counter to yours or those who have expressed frustration with CM Immigration) might actually agree on a number of points. Immigration at the Promenade is a work in progress which is hampered by Thai Immigration in BKK. However, they need to either build an adjoining air conditioned waiting room to at least accommodate the older folk, frail, and elderly from the elements (sitting outside in the Hot Season is pure, uncompassionate BS, and I don't know of any Thai public offices who force their Thai customers, let alone their elderly, to sit in the sun outside), or implement a Promenade wide public-address system to call queue numbers so individuals can seek shelter within the mall proper. Both of these were addressed in the interview, so I see hope. The 90 day reporting seems to be stabilizing, so I see hope, I think that the eventual move to combine both the Airport and Promenade system will be fought with difficulties and will probably be an aggravating mess for a number of weeks (now I'm a 'hater', 'eh?), but over time I see hope for improvement.

So, try lightening up that 'hater speak'. Accept others opinions as just that: opinions. The world becomes a dangerous place once free-speech is replaced by the narrow-minded use of pejoratives and name-calling in order to stifle opinions that you disagree with. Once the majority of the world gets to that point, I'll be looking for John Galt.

Signed,

Concerned Immigration Hater Customer Willing to Voice His Opinion

BTW, a friend of mine who was a psychologist gave me an exercise to try years ago. The exercise: Think of a person or group of people you dislike, and list all the characteristics that you dislike about them. Then take a long hard look at yourself and see how many of those characteristics that you dislike about your target person or group are actually part of your own personality. How much hate do you hold in your own heart, and how does it manifest itself in your speech and actions? It might open your eyes.

Best wishes.

Fantasy land.

Let's give it ten years and revisit it (Fantasy Land). I'll put in on my calendar biggrin.png

In the meantime, I'll keep the dialog going. Am I going to "Shut-up"? I doubt that. You don't shine light on a problem by turning the flashlight of knowledge off. Lol. You address problems by dragging them out into mid-day sunlight of public opinion.

Are they going to discontinue services due to foreigners voicing their opinions? What other service can they discontinue without making an equal problem for themselves?

Some people will b*tch and moan, some people will simply criticize, and some will offer constructive criticism. They're all valid, particularly when focused on an institution that is so near and dear to our hearts, like Immigration. And especially when the criticism is well-founded. And from what I read from the OPs interview, Thai Immigration is listening to us. I'm sorry to see the Online Queuing system go, but somewhere else in the future, perhaps improvement will actually occur. I have some hope. It's just gonna take time.

Hellooo, if anyone really believes immigrations "online queue system" was discontinued due to expats requesting more appointment slots (complaints) then chances are you still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. There is only one logical reason this vital service was shut down, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

Fantasy land.

"Fantasy land"??? I think not. CALsinCM's post is well written and an accurate assessment. It's obvious this person has spent spent considerable time in Thailand, and unlike some of the apologists for CM immigration's incompetence, can see through CM immigrations smoke and mirrors.

CM immigration is trying to place the blame on expats who complain, and Bangkok immigration officials who won't provide them with more money for their failure to provide immigration services in a timely manner. The truth of the matter, after looking past the smoke and mirrors, all fingers point in one direction.

Edited by CMNightRider

Hellooo, if anyone really believes immigrations "online queue system" was discontinued due to expats requesting more appointment slots (complaints) then chances are you still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus. There is only one logical reason this vital service was shut down, and it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure it out.

I knew that Santa Claus didn't exist. I caught Mom and Dad eating the cheese and crackers that Sis and I put out for him. And I'm pretty sure they polished off the egg nog too. But the Easter Bunny doesn't exist either? Say it ain't so! No wonder I haven't found any Easter Eggs since I left home 40-some years ago. ermm.gif <tear, sniff>

Surely the way to proceed is that everyone should complain to Immigration about having to report every 90 days, then they can discontinue it because of too many complaints.

As far as complaining about having to wait in line at an early hour is concerned, it's not Immigration's policy. They don't care what time we arrive.

Surely the way to proceed is that everyone should complain to Immigration about having to report every 90 days, then they can discontinue it because of too many complaints.

As far as complaining about having to wait in line at an early hour is concerned, it's not Immigration's policy. They don't care what time we arrive.

But it is Imm's fault that they cannot cope with the numbers of people who HAVE to visit their office. We are required by law to make these visits.

But it is Imm's fault that they cannot cope with the numbers of people who HAVE to visit their office. We are required by law to make these visits.

Correct.. this isnt a service we choose to participate in.

Not knowing much about rockets and only somewhat familiar with the easter bunny and santa claus, would you please explain in plain speak what you are talking about?

You might want to be a bit more specific about your repeated complaints. The Chiangmai Immigration office is funded by Bangkok and, in spite CM Immigration asking Bangkok for years for more personnel and larger/better space, Bangkok hasn't given them any more personnel or money to run the office.

As was noted at the October (?) speech by Immigration officials, Chiangrai Immigration has more personnel than Chiangmai - in spite of the fact that Chiangmai handles 3-5 times of every category of visa matters than Chiangrai!

As to discontinuance of the online queue system, your "logical reason", of course, lacks any true fact to back it up so perhaps it isn't all that "logical." I understand being frustrated at how things are going but that doesn't justify jumping (repeatedly) into speculation suggesting an illicit reason for the changes.

You might want to be a bit more specific about your repeated complaints. The Chiangmai Immigration office is funded by Bangkok and, in spite CM Immigration asking Bangkok for years for more personnel and larger/better space, Bangkok hasn't given them any more personnel or money to run the office.

As was noted at the October (?) speech by Immigration officials, Chiangrai Immigration has more personnel than Chiangmai - in spite of the fact that Chiangmai handles 3-5 times of every category of visa matters than Chiangrai!

As to discontinuance of the online queue system, your "logical reason", of course, lacks any true fact to back it up so perhaps it isn't all that "logical." I understand being frustrated at how things are going but that doesn't justify jumping (repeatedly) into speculation suggesting an illicit reason for the changes.

I'm sorry but I can't help you with further information. You need common sense and the ability to comprehend. It is sort of like putting a simple puzzle together. Some people can do this and some find this task very difficult. Like I said, some still believe in the Easter Bunny. I can't help them either.

Strange how the only ones complaining about the on line queue system being dropped are the ones who used it. The majority of people did not use it yet they do not continually complain about it.If in fact they do. They just accept that Thailand is not going to meet their specifications and make adjustments to match it.

As I type this I just realized I could have given my Granddaughter a chance to make 300 baht for standing in a line for 4 to 5 hours. She would have jumped at the chance. Bad me

"But it is Imm's fault that they cannot cope with the numbers of people who HAVE to visit their office. We are required by law to make these visits."

From my limited vantage point i can only see one visit per year to Immig as needed; that for the yearly visa extension. My 90 day reports are all through the mail, so do i need to go to Prom more than once per year?

And for the re-entry stamp, off to the Airport.

Immig i can deal with, but i don't like Prom. Maybe i will change my opinion one day.

As I type this I just realized I could have given my Granddaughter a chance to make 300 baht for standing in a line for 4 to 5 hours. She would have jumped at the chance. Bad me

You let your grand daughter drive somewhere and hang out in the dark at 4 or 5 am ??

"But it is Imm's fault that they cannot cope with the numbers of people who HAVE to visit their office. We are required by law to make these visits."

From my limited vantage point i can only see one visit per year to Immig as needed; that for the yearly visa extension. My 90 day reports are all through the mail, so do i need to go to Prom more than once per year?

And for the re-entry stamp, off to the Airport.

Immig i can deal with, but i don't like Prom. Maybe i will change my opinion one day.

People = plural, so plural of visit (visits) are required.

Sorry your vantage point is so limited. Try doing the maths. 20 queue cards per day multiplied by the number of days immigration is open. Now how many people on retirement extensions? I would imagine it is a lot more than the answer you got from that simple multiplication. coffee1.gif

Edited by MESmith

You let your grand daughter drive somewhere and hang out in the dark at 4 or 5 am ??

Might be on her way home from a night out thumbsup.gif