Any members with real life experience of Thailand Elite?

I didn’t know about Thailand Elite until recently after reading some TV forum entries and it piqued my curiosity enough to visit their website for more information.

I am only really interested to hear about the 5 year visa side of things and not any of the extras they advertise, although I am sure they would be nice to have should you need or want them.

The website states that “Members will be granted a Privilege Entry Visa when applying at any Royal Thai Embassy, Royal Thai Consulate General, or Thai Immigration Bureaus in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Phuket.”

However! This is followed by the disclaimer “This Privilege Entry Visa is subject to the Thai Immigration Bureau’s approval.”

My question is: Do any members have any real life experience of Thailand Elite and what hoops (if any) need to be jumped through to actually get a five year visa. Also, are you still required to fulfill all the usual procedures such as 90 day reporting, annual visit to immigration for a new stamp in your passport etc.

I would be interested to hear about anyone who has used this facility and whether it delivers anything better than us lesser mortals on retirement or marriage visas experience.

I wonder also what would happen if you paid to join and then were not approved by immigration?

Now that would hurt!!

If under 50 , I would get one in a heart beat. Some people harp on about the cost. What needs to be deducted from that amount is the cost of visa runs , reentry permits, time etc. Few thousand USD per year. Small change for some. The ones that talk down about them in the main are living here on minimal funds.

• Like 2

I joined about a month ago. There's no real hoops to jump through, you just fill in the application form and send it to them. You don't pay anything until you are approved by immigration. You still hav to do 90 day reporting apparently.

Thanks for the info and the payment / immigration aspect is certainly good to know.

I am currently on a retirement visa and don't have a great income but do have the 800k in the bank as required. The cash that is being permanently tied up and effectively dead money makes me wonder if the 5 year route is the way to go which is why I am making the inquiries.

Did you make the leap from one type of visa to the Elite one or were you starting from afresh?

I joined about a month ago. There's no real hoops to jump through, you just fill in the application form and send it to them. You don't pay anything until you are approved by immigration. You still hav to do 90 day reporting apparently.

Thanks for the info and the payment / immigration aspect is certainly good to know.

I am currently on a retirement visa and don't have a great income but do have the 800k in the bank as required. The cash that is being permanently tied up and effectively dead money makes me wonder if the 5 year route is the way to go which is why I am making the inquiries.

Did you make the leap from one type of visa to the Elite one or were you starting from afresh?

The 800000 baht might be dead money but it is always yours if you spend 500000 baht on the Elite Card it is gone forever even if for some reason you have to leave Thailand for ever

If I could not get a Retirement extension I would go for the Elite card

• Like 1

I am just entering in it maid my payment today, before I was on a marriage visa but the marriage is going wrong.

So far not too many hoops to jump through but it seems they only give the visa at BKK airport and Chang wattana.

As others said I would stay on retirement as its dead money but not gone for good like the Elite visa.

The elite visa is easier as marriage, (not sure about the retirement one) but if you have the choice you can better go for those.

With the elite visa you get a member card too, i hope that can be used instead of a passport if immigration checks you on the street (not sure just hope)

I presume that you only need to do the 90 day reporting if you are not taking regular holidays out of Thailand.

You don't need to have any money in a Thai bank for a retirement visa unless your income is too low. I've been on a retirement visa for many years and have never had to show any money in the bank. I just get a proof of income from my embassy every year. That's all that is needed.

• Like 1

I have an extension of stay visa for myself and spouse if I did not have this visa I might opt for the TE , like you I can choose to have 800 k in the bank 3 months before my extension of stay annual renewal . My yearly cost for my extension of stay is 200 baht for bank letter , 2 x 1,900 for extension of stay stamp for myself and wife and as we only leave the country once a year 2 x 1,000 baht re-entry stamp total cost per year 6,000 baht x 5 years = 30,000 which means I would end up paying 470,000 baht for meet and greet + Limo to local hotel is it worth it ! As they say in Thailand " UP TO YOU "

• Like 1

You don't need to have any money in a Thai bank for a retirement visa unless your income is too low. I've been on a retirement visa for many years and have never had to show any money in the bank. I just get a proof of income from my embassy every year. That's all that is needed.

Yes but what a pain to do on top of that you then have to pay in the region of 2,500 baht for a one page letter as well as show them proof of all your earnings which I am sure BIG BROTHER makes a note of I used to do that but now prefer to ship my ££££s in one lump sum and after the new extension has been approved live of it for the remaining nine months, this also means I only pay a one time transfer charge from the UK to Thailand which in itself saves a few quid !

For me personally, it would be purely idiotic to even consider T.Elite... I live here on retirement extensions since 8 years back... So easy , just go up to Immigration once a year (one lousy time only) and hand over;

- TM7

-1.900 baht

- photocopies of Tabien Baan

- photocopies of passport

- photo

30 minutes later than back home for another year..My 90 days reports via online or postoffice... So why in heavens name shall I give away 500 hundred thousand baht?

OK I understand that it can be good for some people, either who have too much money and just dont care, or either maybe are obstructed to get normal VISA or extensions for some reasons. But for normal "Joe" with normal pension money, it is absolutely no brainer....

So just to say, that all people that say NO to this Thai Elite card, do it simply because that they cant afford it, that is just a stupid comment.... You do not have a clue what we normal people have stacked up in our bank both here and or in our home-countries.

But for me personally, I have learned the respect of money over the years, and I would just not like to give it away as long as I have a pair of normal legs and quite a normal brain that still works...

But good luck to you guys that like this, and are being helped with it....

Glegolo

I would not go for elite either if I could do marriage or retirement. The elite visa is just expensive, but its a good option if nothing else is available.

I can't get a retirement visa for another 3 years so I was operating on tourist visas. If you have a retirement visa I would stick with that. I Don't have that option yet so hence that's why I went the thai elite route.

I have been a member of the 5 year option since April.

It is an expensive luxury to treat yourself to.

Definitely not worth it, but if you are a high net worth individual and can part with the $15.5K for 5 years of not being hassled when coming and going, I see no reason not to spoil oneself.

<removed>

Edited by ubonjoe
off topic comment removed
  • Like 1

Yes but what a pain to do on top of that you then have to pay in the region of 2,500 baht for a one page letter as well as show them proof of all your earnings which I am sure BIG BROTHER makes a note of I used to do that but now prefer to ship my ££££s in one lump sum and after the new extension has been approved live of it for the remaining nine months, this also means I only pay a one time transfer charge from the UK to Thailand which in itself saves a few quid !

Actually its very easy and costs less than 2000 baht. And I don't have to tie up any of my money. I suppose the process varies from embassy to embassy. But as they say "Up to you"

Its not dead money you invest it in a term deposit although rates are really low and and looking at rates around the world will no doubt go lower here. Its a race to the bottom. Do you have to come up with more money after the 5 year period is over??

• Like 1

I have an extension of stay visa for myself and spouse if I did not have this visa I might opt for the TE , like you I can choose to have 800 k in the bank 3 months before my extension of stay annual renewal . My yearly cost for my extension of stay is 200 baht for bank letter , 2 x 1,900 for extension of stay stamp for myself and wife and as we only leave the country once a year 2 x 1,000 baht re-entry stamp total cost per year 6,000 baht x 5 years = 30,000 which means I would end up paying 470,000 baht for meet and greet + Limo to local hotel is it worth it ! As they say in Thailand " UP TO YOU "

Surely the difference would be ฿970,000. A TE visa is priced per person not per couple/group is it?
  • Like 1

Think of it as being like a First Class air ticket.

You don't need to spend that money, Economy will get you there just as fast -- it's all about comfort and convenience, and whether you are prepared to pay for that.

Is avoiding hassles over yearly renewals, re-entry permits, seasoning money in bank accounts, and on the other hand gaining fast-track immigration and other perks worth 300 baht a day to you?

There is no "right" answer.

• Like 1

The OP's question was requesting real-life experiences of the Elite visa, but as is the way, the debate has devolved to the merits or otherwise of said visa, mostly from people with no hands-on experience thereof.

Of the few who do have experience of the Elite visa, most seem to be in favour, and find it convenient and hassle-free, albeit rather expensive.

Edited by asdecas
  • Like 1

I have an American friend here in Phuket who recently bought an Elite membership and it has been working well for him, not cheap.

Whenever he needs to fly he is picked up from home and taken to the airport and when he arrives back in Phuket he is picked up at airport and driven home…all in the comfort of a 7 series Beamer

• Like 1

I spoke with one of their sales people.............not too flexible.

My colleague and attorney, John Lewis. BKK - UK.

We have a fireplace which means we have money to burn (we pay for firewood.) Also central heat.

I would not burn any for Thai elite. Its a catch phrase that can't catch me.

Unlike many of the complainers about VISA, I enjoy the human interaction and I always have the Thai Tourist Police, if I need clarification.

Being an amazingly stupid foriegn person in Thailand, TTPD, have even helped me at the BigC. We also share laughing.