White Temple artist upset by pose of Chinese model

webfact

White Temple artist upset by pose of Chinese model
By Coconuts Bangkok

wr2_header.jpg

CHIANG RAI: -- "There's a problem! Our temple always has a problem!," said the outspoken artist of the White Temple in Chiang Rai.

Previously upset by Chinese tourists’ toilet behavior, Chalermchai Kositpipat, acclaimed national artist behind the famous Wat Rong Khun aka the White Temple, is once again upset, this time by a Chinese model posing for photos in front of the temple he designed and built.

As stunning photos of a Chinese model, who wears a white traditional Hanfu to match the beautiful temple, received recognition on both Thai and Chinese social media, Chalermchai said yesterday there is one particular photo he wouldn’t have allowed.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co/2015/09/15/white-temple-artist-upset-pose-chinese-model

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-09-15

"Chalermchai said yesterday there is one particular photo he wouldn’t have allowed."

Which one?

The published photo is quite beautiful. So are most of the shots on Coconuts' site,

according to The Sun Coconuts the Temple artist said :

“There was one photo when she looks like a mother of a white snake! Crawling everywhere! That photo is ugly! So ugly!” Chalermchai said. “If I was there I wouldn’t have allowed that shot.”

and then:

Chalermchai said he isn’t being obstructive

well, how about letting other people do the art they want?

Good photos ! The model really did suit the surroundings.

I visited the temple when I lived in CR years ago, it really is worth a look. Photographers' paradise. thumbsup.gif

Yes, good photos and tasteful but a hideous place. Thai Buddhist version of tiger balm gardens.

I have not, and will not visit the obviously commercial place.....to call it a temple, is an unfortunate and distasteful afront to the buddhist community of Thailand......

Behave. Tens of 1000's of that Buddhist community visit it every month. I know that because unlike yourself I have watched them worshiping there. It was closed this weekend as it was hosting a meeting of monks from all over the country who obviously lack your sensitivities.

I'm sorry, but that egotistic monstrosity is not a temple, no monk should be visiting it, it represents everything that has been corrupted in Thai Buddhism.

There is not a four letter word that is unsuitable for describing the "artist" who designed it. If only that quake had taken it out.

While I didn't see anything wrong with the photos I saw, I question whether anyone ought to use private property for a commercial photo-shoot without the owner's permission. I'm not an artist by any means but can somewhat understand an artist owner being irritated at how images of his creation are used by others (especially if for profit). And I suppose the owner/artist is already a bit sensitive about some Chinese visitors given the press about it in the last year.