Phuket tour bus drivers protest, claim Chinese shyster company shanghais jobs

webfact

Phuket tour bus drivers protest, claim Chinese shyster company shanghais jobs
Saroj Kueprasertkij

1442374411_1-org.jpg
Tour bus protest leader Chonnawee Ek-tiewsakul claims that Oddski Co Ltd is funded by Chinese and was formed by Thai nominee shareholders. Photo: Saroj Kueprasertkij

PHUKET: -- Tour bus drivers protesting losing work to a company they say is funded by Chinese and formed using Thai nominee shareholders took their fight to Phuket Provincial Hall yesterday (Sept 15).

About 20 bus drivers from a group calling themselves “Phuket Local Bus Group 30” arrived at Provincial Hall to hand to Governor Nisit Jansomwong their second formal complaint in two weeks.

“This is the second time we have come here about this. Last week, we submitted a letter of complaint to the governor, but there has been no progress. We want to know how the governor will solve this problem,” said group leader Chonnawee Ek-tiewsakul.

Phuket Local Bus Group 30 represents 132 Phuket tour bus operators, which comprises 420 buses and drivers.

The drivers joining the protest yesterday believe that a company called Oddski Co Ltd is funded by Chinese nationals and formed with Thai nominees to operate a tour bus business in Phuket.

“They have bought several tour buses to transport tourists from the airport, hotels and resorts to other businesses owned by Oddski, which include restaurants, jewellery stores, a show business and souvenir shops,” claimed Mr Chonnawee.

Last Thursday (Sept 10), about 100 bus drivers staged a protest in front of the Oddski-owned Aphrodite cabaret show on the bypass road, before filing a complaint at Provincial Hall. (Sees story here.)

“This is very unfair for the locals tour bus operation. How can we survive?” said Mr Chonnawee.

“We do not have any chains of businesses like them. They give away their bus services for free, or very cheap. We are dying right now.”

“We really want to know what the governor is going to do about this. We will come back again on Monday (Sept 21),” Mr Chonnawee added.

Governor Nisit was not available to receive the complaint in person. Instead, Pakpoom Intarasuwan, Provincial Office Chief Administrative Officer (Palad), received the letter on his behalf.

“We have heard about this problem before. We will hold a meeting with the concerned party to find the best solution for them very soon,” Mr Pakpoom told The Phuket News.

However, Governor Nisit from October 1 will no longer be Governor of Phuket Province, as he has been transferred to serve as Governor of Nonthaburi, on the outskirts of Bangkok.

Former Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongthada, who was one of the key figures in the dismantling of the Phuket taxi mafia last year, will return to the island as Governor of the Province from October 1. (See story here.)

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-tour-bus-drivers-protest-claim-chinese-shyster-company-shanghais-jobs-54127.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-16

What is wrong with providing a shuttle service to your customers? This "if you can't compete close down the competition" attitude seems to be very common in Thailand. They need to start looking at alternatives to making a living.

"They give away their bus services for free, or very cheap." - unlike yourselves, who pay big fees to belong to an "Association" or "Club" that allows you rip off customers.

"We are dying right now." - it's transport like yours that has killed the western tourist market on Phuket, with the majority of tourists to the island now package holiday Chinese tourists.

You are "dying" because you have basically killed off your own business. You reap what you sow.

I have zero sympathy for any transport operator complaining about the Chinese in their coach buses. It was always going to get to ths point.

What is wrong with providing a shuttle service to your customers? This "if you can't compete close down the competition" attitude seems to be very common in Thailand. They need to start looking at alternatives to making a living.

Correct it is just business. But you did highlight part of the Thai way of thinking, cut down the competition so we can survive. Now they complain that the company is led by Chinese with a Thai proxy. I wonder if they would have protested too if the company was 100% Thai.

The Chinese tour company probably even has a contract to service the chinese tourists that buy tour packages. The money paid for the tour buses never leaves China.Except gas, driver and maintenance and all the stops ,restaurants souvenir shops ect all Chinese owned and cooperated.

Edited by lovelomsak

The Chinese tour company probably even has a contract to service the chinese tourists that buy tour packages. The money paid for the tour buses never leaves China.Except gas, driver and maintenance and all the stops ,restaurants souvenir shops ect all Chinese owned and cooperated.

Make that except gas and driver.

"They give away their bus services for free, or very cheap." - unlike yourselves, who pay big fees to belong to an "Association" or "Club" that allows you rip off customers.

"We are dying right now." - it's transport like yours that has killed the western tourist market on Phuket, with the majority of tourists to the island now package holiday Chinese tourists.

You are "dying" because you have basically killed off your own business. You reap what you sow.

I have zero sympathy for any transport operator complaining about the Chinese in their coach buses. It was always going to get to ths point.

Having driven Tour Buss's in NZ I saw the same thing happen with the chinese buying their own busses and closing out the local trade, only the big operators survive and they dont run Chinese.

We used to have to take tours to venues controlled by the tour guide and we were paid commission from shopping.

The local tourist shops got nothing, the local restuarants/hotels got Zippo.

The Chinese tourist themselves get scammed.

Many small tour bus companies that had been around for years went bust.

This is typical mafia chinese control of their tourists they hang out in any country where they have a foot in the door and take control of the dollar

I hope these bus operators are succsesful however I think the big buck man Chong wayne will ride the winning horse.

Having driven Tour Buss's in NZ I saw the same thing happen with the chinese buying their own busses and closing out the local trade, only the big operators survive and they dont run Chinese.

We used to have to take tours to venues controlled by the tour guide and we were paid commission from shopping.

This is typical mafia chinese control of their tourists they hang out in any country where they have a foot in the door and take control of the dollar

I hope these bus operators are succsesful however I think the big buck man Chong wayne will ride the winning horse.

New Zealand has many transport options for the independent traveler, most Government regulated, Phuket does not.

The only way the majority of Chinese tourists can afford to come here is because transport is included in their package holiday.

Stop the coach buses for the Chinese, and the Chinese will stop coming to Phuket, just like the western market has, then where would Phuket be?

New Zealand has many transport options for the independent traveler, most Government regulated, Phuket does not.

The only way the majority of Chinese tourists can afford to come here is because transport is included in their package holiday.

Stop the coach buses for the Chinese, and the Chinese will stop coming to Phuket, just like the western market has, then where would Phuket be?

This is not about independent travelers, and nobody is talking about stopping the coach buses.

Well, I don't like them and think Phuket's road are not suitable for them, but that is a different discussion

New Zealand does, however not many for Chinese tourists, the tours were pre paid to my Boss and he went broke as the rates were to low to make a profit.

Since busting all the small tour bus companies the Chinese have their own busses-- imported Japanese buses and their own drivers by the thousand.

They rape the local guys forcing them out of bussines and take controll with their own-- dont believe that tours would not come here because of a buss fare it's typical chinese they strip every buck in their path -- end of story.

This is not about independent travelers, and nobody is talking about stopping the coach buses.

Well, I don't like them and think Phuket's road are not suitable for them, but that is a different discussion

"nobody is talking about stopping the coach buses" - I can't see how they can be stopped now. Even if these protesters got rid of the coach buses, they go broke anyway.

Do they really think the Chinese would pay their ridiculous fares?

The package holiday model mainly came about for the Russians and Chinese. I would suggest, because transport (the coach buses) was included in the package.

So, they arrive in a travel group, dine as a travel group, shop as a travel group, go to the beach as a travel group, and leave Phuket, as a travel group. I would hardly call this "independent travel" like westerners arriving and getting a "taxi" from the airport, tuk-tuks by day, and by night, and a taxi back to the airport.

I don't like the the coach buses on the roads here either, mainly because they are driven by a Thai, on the cheapest monthly salary the company could find, and he has around 50 people's lives in his hands, not including those lives traveling in the opposite direction.

That said, if the Chinese market is turned away from Phuket, due to witholding transport from them as well, where does that leave Phuket?

The Chinese are the main tourists coming to Phuket now, and they will stop coming if this mass transport is not included in their package holiday to Phuket.

New Zealand does, however not many for Chinese tourists, the tours were pre paid to my Boss and he went broke as the rates were to low to make a profit.

Since busting all the small tour bus companies the Chinese have their own busses-- imported Japanese buses and their own drivers by the thousand.

They rape the local guys forcing them out of bussines and take controll with their own-- dont believe that tours would not come here because of a buss fare it's typical chinese they strip every buck in their path -- end of story.

"dont believe that tours would not come here because of a buss fare" - rubbish.

In my opinion, it's the lack of transport here that has repelled the western tourist market, and the Chinese would be the same.

Why do you think motor bike hire is so popular here? Everyone must have access to a vehicle, or be ripped off on getting from Point A to Point B.

This leads to Phuket's traffic and parking problems, and it's terrible road death and injury statistics.

These protesting bus drivers are going to go broke, regardless. They played their part in creating their own demise.

"nobody is talking about stopping the coach buses" - I can't see how they can be stopped now. Even if these protesters got rid of the coach buses, they go broke anyway.

The package holiday model mainly came about for the Russians and Chinese. I would suggest, because transport (the coach buses) was included in the package.

So, they arrive in a travel group, dine as a travel group, shop as a travel group, go to the beach as a travel group, and leave Phuket, as a travel group. I would hardly call this "independent travel" like westerners arriving and getting a "taxi" from the airport, tuk-tuks by day, and by night, and a taxi back to the airport.

I don't like the the coach buses on the roads here either, mainly because they are driven by a Thai, on the cheapest monthly salary the company could find, and he has around 50 people's lives in his hands, not including those lives traveling in the opposite direction.

That said, if the Chinese market is turned away from Phuket, due to witholding transport from them as well, where does that leave Phuket?

The Chinese are the main tourists coming to Phuket now, and they will stop coming if this mass transport is not included in their package holiday to Phuket.

Again, nobody is talking about taking the tour buses away or not include them in their package, only you.

Again, nobody is talking about taking the tour buses away or not include them in their package, only you.

"nobody is talking about taking the tour buses away or not include them in their package, only you." - remove the Thai nominee from the company, the company winds up.

The com[any winds up, the coach buses stop.

Furthermore, the coach buses stop for the Chinese, and the Chinese stop coming to Phuket.

Isn't the purpose of their protest is to have these companies providing coach bus transport investigated by authorities, because they are using Thai nominees????

"nobody is talking about taking the tour buses away or not include them in their package, only you." - remove the Thai nominee from the company, the company winds up.

The com[any winds up, the coach buses stop.

Furthermore, the coach buses stop for the Chinese, and the Chinese stop coming to Phuket.

Isn't the purpose of their protest is to have these companies providing coach bus transport investigated by authorities, because they are using Thai nominees????

No, that is not their purpose. Their purpose is the Chinese start using their service in stead of the present Chinese owned service.

@ stevenl

From the OP:

"The drivers joining the protest yesterday believe that a company called Oddski Co Ltd is funded by Chinese nationals and formed with Thai nominees to operate a tour bus business in Phuket."

It appears to me, they want Oddski Co Ltd investigated, with a view to some arrests being made, and deportations, causing disruption to the company's operations.

@ stevenl

From the OP:

"The drivers joining the protest yesterday believe that a company called Oddski Co Ltd is funded by Chinese nationals and formed with Thai nominees to operate a tour bus business in Phuket."

It appears to me, they want Oddski Co Ltd investigated, with a view to some arrests being made, and deportations, causing disruption to the company's operations.

So they can take over the service.

Again, nobody except you is talking about stopping with the coaches.

@ stevenl

From the OP:

They can't "take over the service."

The Chinese can't afford their ridiculous prices and commissions. They will stop coming to Phuket.

You can't swap an affordable service, for a rip off service, and not expect it to have an impact on tourism.

Either way, these guys are going broke, and they bought it all upon themselves.

Edited by NamKangMan

@ stevenl

From the OP:

The Chinese can't afford their ridiculous prices and commissions. They will stop coming to Phuket.

Nonsense, based on your usual not understanding these businesses.

@ stevenl

From the OP:

Nonsense, based on your usual not understanding these businesses.

I can assure you, I have a good understanding of the way transport operates, or doesn't operate, on Phuket. biggrin.png

"dont believe that tours would not come here because of a buss fare" - rubbish.

In my opinion, it's the lack of transport here that has repelled the western tourist market, and the Chinese would be the same.

Why do you think motor bike hire is so popular here? Everyone must have access to a vehicle, or be ripped off on getting from Point A to Point B.

This leads to Phuket's traffic and parking problems, and it's terrible road death and injury statistics.

These protesting bus drivers are going to go broke, regardless. They played their part in creating their own demise.

Agree with you: "they played their part in creating their own demise".

Instead of reinvesting some of their profits to upgrade their level of hospitality, quality of their buses, and drivers' skills, or lowering their prices they chose to keep prices high and funnel all profits into their pockets. And now that the Chinese have outsmarted them at their own game they start to complain.

With all the money flowing into Phuket we could have had a nice public transport system by now. Instead you still have to negotiate a fair before getting in a taxi.

Guess nobody else so far has reached the end of the article as there is a good joke all the way down there:

"Former Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongthada, who was one of the key figures in the dismantling of the Phuket taxi mafia last year, will return to the island as Governor of the Province from October 1."

They forgot to inform the taxi mafia last year that they are dismantled because they still operate as always.

Edited by Bob12345

Guess nobody else so far has reached the end of the article as there is a good joke all the way down there:

"Former Phuket Governor Chamroen Tipayapongthada, who was one of the key figures in the dismantling of the Phuket taxi mafia last year, will return to the island as Governor of the Province from October 1."

They forgot to inform the taxi mafia last year that they are dismantled because they still operate as always.

I did get a laugh out of that, but the real "joke" of it is, he will be transfered back to Phuket at a time when there really will be "slim pickings" by way of "brown envelopes." cheesy.gif

It's going to be interesting how he's going to go about "extracting" money out of Phuket.