Cambodia-Thailand border crossing.

I will be going to Thailand by the end of October, after just three days in Bangkok I will go to Laos,Vietnam and Cambodia. Then I will have to cross Cambodia-Thailand land border to get back to Bangkok. I will have my out-of Thailand plane ticket to Myanmar, required funds ect. I got told that it is possible to cross (on Visa exemption) if you don't have make frequent visa-runs. After all I will only spend three days in Thailand and then try to re-enter after 28 days on Laos, Vietnam and Cambodia.

You shouldn't have any problem re-entering by land border using visa exempt entry.

If you are concerned about visa exempt entry you have time to get a tourist visa. But there shouldn't be an issue based on your itinerary and having an onward flight.

Elvia is correct. The news reports re boarder crossing is specific about visa runners on exempt stamp.

That aside I would also be nervous.

You mention Mynamar and flying. Personally I would fly into bkk. Flights are so cheap. However you may have plans to see some of los alone the way. Buses are for crazy people.

Elvia is correct. The news reports re boarder crossing is specific about visa runners on exempt stamp.

You mention Mynamar and flying. Personally I would fly into bkk. Flights are so cheap. However you may have plans to see some of los alone the way. Buses are for crazy people.

Well I have asked about returning on a visa exempt stamp but clearly having a return flight. The difference is I believe the authorities are limiting or stopping visa exempt turn arounds for people that don't have any clear tourist plans, no near-term onward flight etc.

Suppose I fly into BKK from the USA. I have a round trip ticket good for 3 or 6 months ( typically what I get when I fly EVA). I get my visa exempt stamp. 28 days on I decide to stay longer. I make a border run, bringing my documentation with me. I am in Thailand for tourist reasons, and clearly not on business and do plan to leave the country in another month or so. Would this be OK? I have not seen any confirmation of anybody getting back in on any visa exempt stamp.

On the same idea, I read reports that "immediate" returns on visa exempt stamps not allowed. If I stay in Cambodia for one day, one week, can I then go back to Thailand?

Some actual experiences from this week were be nice.

Thanks

Well I have asked about returning on a visa exempt stamp but clearly having a return flight. The difference is I believe the authorities are limiting or stopping visa exempt turn arounds for people that don't have any clear tourist plans, no near-term onward flight etc.

Suppose I fly into BKK from the USA. I have a round trip ticket good for 3 or 6 months ( typically what I get when I fly EVA). I get my visa exempt stamp. 28 days on I decide to stay longer. I make a border run, bringing my documentation with me. I am in Thailand for tourist reasons, and clearly not on business and do plan to leave the country in another month or so. Would this be OK? I have not seen any confirmation of anybody getting back in on any visa exempt stamp.

On the same idea, I read reports that "immediate" returns on visa exempt stamps not allowed. If I stay in Cambodia for one day, one week, can I then go back to Thailand?

Thanks

As you say, personal experiences are the acid test and I am sure they will change as time goes by.

IMO immigration would look at your history and (like the oil worker recently denied entry at Swampy) will determine whether they think you might be working.

Arguably, you are 'abusing' the visa exempt entry system and should apply for a tourist visa once you know your plans have changed and decide to stay longer. As in any case of doubt you should pose the question to a local immigration office.

Is Thai-Cambo border reopened for visa exempts?

According to the latest news from yesterday, NO ONE with visa exempt can cross the border

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/856250-thai-visa-run-crackdown-latest-update-from-thaicambo-border/

No one will know for sure until the border run companies find out (they have contacts!) and resume their services.

Hello

I have a OA visa multiple entry issued in thai embassy in France and want to go to Hat Lek just crossing the border and reentering on 30th in order to have extension of stay one year..

No problem, right ?? they will let me out and in ??

Other thing I tried and tried on the cambodian embassy site to make a visa.. impossible, one time the photo was not right, then it went through but afterwards the payment was not done..

No problem if I just pay there for the visa ??

Thanks a lot..

Thanks

On your visa exempt, you can extend the original 30 day by a further 30 days at any immigration office in Thailand. Cost is 1,900 baht.

Hello

I have a OA visa multiple entry issued in thai embassy in France and want to go to Hat Lek just crossing the border and reentering on 30th in order to have extension of stay one year..

No problem, right ?? they will let me out and in ??

Other thing I tried and tried on the cambodian embassy site to make a visa.. impossible, one time the photo was not right, then it went through but afterwards the payment was not done..

No problem if I just pay there for the visa ??

Thanks a lot..

Unless things go crazy again before the 30th you will not have a problem doing an out/in crossing to get another one year entry from your OA visa.

No problem to get the Cambodia visa on arrival and pay for it at the border.

According to the latest news from yesterday, NO ONE with visa exempt can cross the border

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/856250-thai-visa-run-crackdown-latest-update-from-thaicambo-border/

No one will know for sure until the border run companies find out (they have contacts!) and resume their services.

According to info I have gotten from a visa run company they think the out/in visa exempt entries will not be possible until the 1st of October.

Without any other previous travel history, you should be OK.

If you smile nicely and explain your situation (though it would work in your favor if you could speak Thai) and showing airline tickets, itinerary (or just explaining it), proof of funds etc. then I can't see any reason why you would have a problem.

According to info I have gotten from a visa run company they think the out/in visa exempt entries will not be possible until the 1st of October.

Here's hoping!

Which makes it a pointless, knee-jerk reaction in the meantime!

• Like 1

I fail to see how one visa exempt run, in order to extend a 30 day holiday another 30 days one time would be considered an abuse. Heck, plans do change. But, the question still remains, how long before thailand would let you back in? Say you fly into BKK get the nominal 30 day exempt. Day 28 you head to cambodia. When will Thailand let you back in on another Visa exempt? Spend 1 week in cambodia? two weeks? This is beyond illogical because now you are just spending your monies in another country where if Thailand let you in sooner, you would be spending money in Thailand. But that is the question.

I fail to see how one visa exempt run, in order to extend a 30 day holiday another 30 days one time would be considered an abuse. Heck, plans do change. But, the question still remains, how long before thailand would let you back in? Say you fly into BKK get the nominal 30 day exempt. Day 28 you head to cambodia. When will Thailand let you back in on another Visa exempt? Spend 1 week in cambodia? two weeks? This is beyond illogical because now you are just spending your monies in another country where if Thailand let you in sooner, you would be spending money in Thailand. But that is the question.

Personally, I don't think what you describe is an issue.

That is why I say a person's visa histotry would come into play. Someone who has done that regularly over a long period of time is likely to face issues rather than someone who can show they are a genuine tourists traveling between neighbouring Asian countries. Stay one night in Cambodia and it will be seen for what it is; spend a week in Cambodia and you can clearly justify your situation asa tourist. If you then have an exit flight from Thailand booked it further strengthens the logic.

Thailand immigration rules are there for Thailand's protection and where you might spend your money is of no interest to an immigration officer - TAT maybe!

There is no need to cross a border to gain another 30 days toward the end of a 30 day visa exempt entry.

Any immigration office will provide a 30 extension of stay for a fee of 1900 Bht!

What about my double entry which expires next week? I got a monthly extension yesterday but for almost nothing really as I delayed using it in the first place.

Anyway, I was advised not to use Poipet borders for a quick re-entry. If this is the case, can I do that in Malaysian borders in order to get my 2nd entry? For example using the train, it arrives early morning in Padang Besar (Malaysian border) and the way back one departs at 530pm the same day.

Edited by mpa

You could take the overnight train to here in Ubon and then take a van from the bus station to the border in Chong Mek (about 80 baht each way and 2 hours). You could take take a Taxi from the train station to the bus station for about 80 baht or the number 2 Shangtao for 10 baht.

You could be back in time to take the special express train at 2:45 pm to Bangkok that gets in at about 11 pm. You can request that the van from Chong Mek stop at the train station..