Damage, floods as Vamco hits many parts of Thailand

webfact

Damage, floods as Vamco hits many parts of the Kingdom
THE NATION

30268955-01_big.JPG?1442441250334
More than 10 small fishing boats capsized in Chon Buri

BANGKOK: -- SOME 400 Thai and foreign tourists were stranded on Koh Lan in Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district yesterday afternoon due to two-metre-high waves and high winds in the Gulf of Thailand.

The wild conditions prompted the Regional Harbour Office in Pattaya and local agencies to dispatch four double-decker boats to bring the holidaymakers back to the mainland.

As storm Vamco - later downgraded to a depression - brought gusty winds and heavy rain to many areas of Thailand, officials issued an order prohibiting public transport boats and small fishing vessels from sailing.

The order stranded 380 tourists on Koh Lan, trapped by high waves, and four boats were sent to collect them. Strong winds/waves damaged several anchorages at the Southern Pattaya Pier, worth millions of baht. The storm also ruined rafts used for parasailing, one kilometre off the Pattaya Bay.

In Chumphon's Pato district, heavy rain-induced forest floodwaters early yesterday poured into the Moo 4 village in Tambon Pak Song and damaged many houses. A 73-year-old man, Sunyong Chanthewee, was sleeping along with his two-year-old grandchild when the muddy torrents hit their home. They managed to flee unharmed, but the house of an assistant village headman, Payon Angkhapan, was hit by a falling tree.

Many other areas of Pato were also affected by flooding. Officials estimated thousands of households were affected and many roads were made impassable by floodwaters.

In Krabi province, stormy weather blew a 20-metre-tall tree on to a resident's house in Koh Lanta district. Homeowner Rophiya Raktua, 68, wasn't injured and officials provided help to repair the house. Khlong Tabprik in Muang district overflowed to flood two roads and farmlands.

Meanwhile, Chaiyaphum's Lam Pa Thao Dam reported that the storm brought enough rainfall to fill its 66-million cubic metres capacity.

The dam had been reported to be holding only 35 per cent of capacity, causing fears of a lack of tap water for this northeastern province's economic zones.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Damage-floods-as-Vamco-hits-many-parts-of-the-King-30268955.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-17

RELATED STORIES:

Storms and Flooding Hits Pattaya
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/856408-storms-and-flooding-hits-pattaya/

380 stranded tourists rescued from Pattaya Island
http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/856438-380-stranded-tourists-rescued-from-pattaya-island/

I hope one or two day trouble can resolve the present drought crisis!

Nope the authorities are to busy to stage a FACE crisis......

Maybe the rain helps a bit but it has to fall on the right place to fill up the dams. Lets hope it helps but I still doubt it.

Maybe the rain helps a bit but it has to fall on the right place to fill up the dams. Lets hope it helps but I still doubt it.

Apparently it slapped 42.9 million cubic meters of water in a dam in Chaiyaphum. It had the capacity for 66 million & was 35% full, and is now totally full.

Edited by jaywalker

Apparently it slapped 42.9 million cubic meters of water in a dam in Chaiyaphum. It had the capacity for 66 million & was 35% full, and is now totally full.

Yes but those aren't the two big dams that hold far more water and need a lot more. This is just a minor dam.

The Sirikit dam is about a 100 times bigger, so this just wont help enough. That dam still has far too little water in it.

Edited by robblok

What can i do about my swimming pool over flowing

Pull the plug out laugh.png

Funny you should say that....I had a small fish pond built in my front garden. Often wondered why the builder didn't put a "plug" in the bottom of it, it would have been ideal for draining and cleaning it out as I have a stream running beside my house where all other water drains in to (like at the present moment with Vamco). I didn't know enough about these things when having it put in. As they used to say back home...."It was far from fish ponds you were reared"....555. (Luxury Problems)