Abhisit criticises Thai DPM for demanding NSRRC in new draft

webfact

Abhisit criticises Thai DPM for demanding NSRRC in new draft
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva Thursday criticised Deputy Prime Minister Wissanu Kreangam for suggesting that there must be a National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee (NSRRC) included in the new draft charter.

Abhisit said the matter should be up to the new Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) to decide so it would have the chance to be endorsed through the referendum.

Abhisit warned that stubbornness in push for a similar draft charter that has been rejected by the National Reform Council could lead to deeper conflicts in society and would lead towards the allegation that the current powers that be is seeking to maintain power after election.

Abhisit said those thinking of introducing the system of a state within a state under the new charter should abandon such idea. The idea of having an NSRRC would create a state within a state that would increase conflicts and cause problems in society, Abhisit warned.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Abhisit-criticises-Prayut-for-demanding-NSRRC-in-n-30268994.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-17

The comment by Mark, State within a State is correct, you cannot have a Elected Government working alongside an un-elected committee setting policy on the run, interfering in the due process of government. The current Prime Minister must remember that the matters of Government is not on the parade ground , issuing orders of what he wants might not necessary hold water , lots of factors need to be calculated in the running of a country , having a State within a State is not one of them unfortunately as we all have discovered over time, Generals don't make good leaders. coffee1.gif

Oh dear; 'attitude adjustment' coming up !

Why do you people keep making these comments ?.

He will be in trouble if he tries to instigate division in society which will cause violence. That's all. After the murders during the last protests and the members of that same faction here spraying their keyboard with spit as they predict an imminent peoples uprising and communist revolution, it is for good reason.

How clear do you need it spelling out ?.

He will be in trouble if he tries to instigate division in society which will cause violence. That's all. After the murders during the last protests and the members of that same faction here spraying their keyboard with spit as they predict an imminent peoples uprising and communist revolution, it is for good reason.

I will save your quote so as to remind you of it when the time comes.

PS: it's, How clear do you need it spelled out? :)

I think the game plan is for Abhisit to make a few criticisms so that when he comes to endorse the Junta's final version, he can argue he fought the good fight and managed to influence drafting for the better.

It will still be an anti democratic piece of crap.But since when has Abhisit genuinely wanted a solution different from the old elites.

He's not a bad man and certainly not a stupid one but his political hopelessness and inability to win elections has driven him into some dark corners.

Idiotically I still have hopes of him.

Clearer than this I suspect. I do not agree with what you say. nor, by inference, what you seem to think.

The National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee

also known as the Bangkok Tactical Status-Quo and Suppression Clause

was, is, and always will be the poison pill designed to cause rejection of the Charter,

and further delay.

It certainly does appear to be that way. The late entrance of the clauses suggest either that they were trying to slip something under the door (you know, like they allege others did), or it was indeed, the nuclear option.

I think the game plan is for Abhisit to make a few criticisms so that when he comes to endorse the Junta's final version, he can argue he fought the good fight and managed to influence drafting for the better.

It will still be an anti democratic piece of crap.But since when has Abhisit genuinely wanted a solution different from the old elites.

He's not a bad man and certainly not a stupid one but his political hopelessness and inability to win elections has driven him into some dark corners.

Alas mine evaporated when he lied about LM charges to the Oxford Student Union. It became clear at that point, exactly what Mark is.

I doubt this leopard is capable of changing its spots, and to that extent, I echo your own comment regarding the elites.

Edited by AnnieT

Join the dance Mark...

in, out, in out, shake it all about... do the Junta Pokey that's what it's all about.......hey, yea the Junta Pokey...hey, yea the Junta Pokey...put your Dem Right foot in, Dem Right foot out... in, out, in out and shake it all about

Edited by LannaGuy

Alas mine evaporated when he lied about LM charges to the Oxford Student Union. It became clear at that point, exactly what Mark is.

I doubt this leopard is capable of changing its spots, and to that extent, I echo your own comment regarding the elites.

It is possible for politicians who are fundamentally decent (I think that includes Abhisit) to change.You mention the Oxford Union.Think of Gladstone's extraordinary journey from someone who initially was deeply conservative to the People's William, a remarkable reformer.Not sure if Abhisit can change and certainly I can't quite erase that image of him embracing the gangster Suthep.

I still have hopes for him also but NOT with the Democrats as they are now. They need to purge the old guard including and especially Suthep and bring in a younger crew who have some idea of the real world both within and outside Thailand.

Sadly I also feel they having Abhisit as their leader will always condemn the Democrats as also rans in any election, even in a one horse race.

POLITICS
Abhisit slams proposal to include crisis panel in charter

THE NATION

BANGKOK: -- DEMOCRAT PARTY leader Abhisit Vejjajiva yesterday criticised Deputy PM Wissanu Krea-ngam for suggesting that provision for a National Strategic Reform and Reconciliation Committee (NSRRC) should be included in the new draft charter.

He said the matter should be left up to the new Constitution Drafting Committee (CDC) to decide, so it would have the chance to be endorsed in a referendum.

Abhisit warned that stubbornness in pushing for a draft charter similar to the one that has already been rejected by the National Reform Council could lead to deeper conflicts and prompt allegations that the current powers that be are seeking to keep their hold on power even after elections.

Abhisit said that an NSRRC would create a state within a state, and would increase conflicts and create problems, so the idea should be abandoned.

The Democrat chief urged for calm consideration of the matter by the yet-to-be-appointed CDC, because the majority of people want to see a charter that is able to solve old problems, while pushing for inclusion of the NSRRC in the new charter would risk repeating an old mistake.

The court, independent agencies and the people, said Abhisit, are most suited to scrutinise the draft charter. Even if there were to be an NSRRC under the new draft charter, the limits of its power must be clearly spelled out - for instance, it should not be able to propose any reform that would be binding. He added that no reform should be carried out without the endorsement of executive and legislative branches.

Abhisit also asked how the NSRRC could solve problems during a crisis, because, in the end, it would have to depend on the police and the military operating under martial law.

"I liked it [Prime Minister] Prayut [Chan-o-cha] when he said reconciliation can only be achieved when law is enforced and its violators are punished. Any discussion of the new charter is possible only when it is clearly laid out. Problems of previous charters need to be addressed. Writing it the old way won't help us make progress."

He pointed out that in order for it to pass a referendum, the draft charter must convince the public, adding that the second round of drafting will face more pressure as nobody wants to see another rejection.

Separately, Surachai Liengboon-lertchai, vice president of the National Legislative Assembly, said outsiders may be appointed to the CDC. He admitted that it would be difficult to find willing drafters, because they would be banned from holding any political position for two years.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Abhisit-slams-proposal-to-include-crisis-panel-in--30269043.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-18

Having trouble believing my eyes. May have to change my opinion of him one day. If he does get hauled in for coffee with the junta, his credibility will soar in the north and east. That may or not set well with the military or the Thai elite, should he continue questioning the status quo. Good for him.

Clearer than this I suspect. I do not agree with what you say. nor, by inference, what you seem to think.

Neither do most Thais who actually "used" to have a vote !!!

Look out PTP, Abhisit is becoming a moderate populist. If he can keep Suthep out of the Democrat Party without losing the South, he will be a major candidate in the next election.*

* Assuming he is not convicted of abuse of power over the deaths of people during the 2010 anti-government protests and banned from public office.

"Why do you people keep making these comments ?"Ya think maybe as long as people (civilians) are detained by a military for expressing an opinion?

Marks comment seems quite fair to many, that's one very large reason the draft was rejected...

The thing is that have said far less than Mark has and have been detained, assets frozen, family intimidation, etc, is that the actions of an inclusive government?

or a government that is afraid of the people?

Define "instigate division" coz these blokes can even define "vicinity" for alcohol sales close to a school and need 6 months for an answerwhistling.gif