Registering Phones - I get the real reason now

thhMan

I have been living in Thailand for some 10 odd years and recently was ordered to register my sim

Since I have done that, I am now getting calls from strangers who know my name and are trying to sell me stock shares (Boiler room crap)

I rarely trust a Thai, so I wouldnt be surprised if there is now a valuable database of Phone users, ready to be sold, either by the Phone company or a rogue staff member who has sold those details

Before the sim registration, all I ever got was stupid Thai sms's from the phone company

Now I get English speaking idiots, who know my name and have crap they want to sell me....

After saying NO... I now get up to 10 phonecalls a day, always at 9am with a few second intervals between them from a scattering of numbers.

I am getting real pissed off now as blocking those numbers dont seem to matter as they just start using different numbers....

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People always tell me to move when I complain about noise, so I will tell you, change your phone number.smile.png Sorry couldn't help it.

I still have to register the phone sim... so whats the point?

I am stll going to get some hooplehead calling me, trying to sell me crap....

I just registered my phone 2 weeks ago and I have received numerous new texts from various numbers. It has tapered off some since I never reply but the suggestion of letting a Thai person register a phone for you may be the best solution. I am considering this for my next phone as well.

That is really pretty disturbing.

It hasn't happened to me since registering, but there certainly has been an increase in these phone calls to the office. And they can be persistant in ringing back when they are told not interested and putting the phone down on them.

For me it would be a nightmare for that to happen on my mobile as most of these call centres use VOIP which don't show numbers to block.

I wouldn't surprise me if some employee of the phone company sold some data, it's Thailand....

I get these calls to, luckily not every day, but is suspect that my name and number are sold by employees at foreign chambers. When you go their meetings and networking events you always have to leave a name card en some of these boiler room rats call me at the office and on my mobile.

Show interest in whatever they have.

Then ask in a hi-pitched tone, "by the way, where did you get my number".

Then challenge the responding bullshit. Make that bullshit the main topic of conversation. Use that bullshit to challenge the validity of what they're trying to sell you.

pretty simple really.

if you don't know the number don't answer.

your expecting a call from a number you don't know to tell you that you have won lotto maybe?

I agree, don't answer any numbers you don't know. Anything urgent or important, they will text you.

I am sure the companies do sell lists of phone numbers. For many months I was receiving calls from a company the builds and sells houses. They only stopped when I told them what I would do if they continued. This was AIS giving numbers to anyoone who wanted a list

And registered phones can't be used for that purpose?

Of course they do, they let some poor bastard register the Phone for them,,,,Say get 100 poor bastards to do that and than they can use anyone of them,,,just a bit more work but a bomber don't give a Shit about that/You.

People always tell me to move when I complain about noise, so I will tell you, change your phone number.smile.png Sorry couldn't help it.

If you read his post - he's complaining about the phone company selling his data - moving the phone company may not solve the issue.

Let the poorest thai you know register your number

worked for me

That's sh*t man - so when you commit a crime with your phone - you expect this poor Thai to take the rap?

I might add that you commit a crime every time you make a call by using a sim card register in another's name. How many crimes so far today? You'd better watch out bro.

I just registered my phone 2 weeks ago and I have received numerous new texts from various numbers. It has tapered off some since I never reply but the suggestion of letting a Thai person register a phone for you may be the best solution. I am considering this for my next phone as well.

Then you will be committing a crime every time you make a call. Nice thought.

Archived