Pattaya declared disaster zone

webfact

Pattaya declared disaster zone

11221571_911120888925079_453438683552545

PATTAYA: -- Pattaya was on Thursday declared a public disaster zone by the city administration one day after the world-renowned resort town went under water following heavy rains caused by depression Vamco.

Situation has returned to normal after floodwater has receded in most parts of the city with the exception of some outlying roads such as Route 331 which is about 500 metres from Huey Yai police station, Soi Khao Talo and Soi Boonsamphan.

Rains continue today but not as heavy as it was on Wednesday.

Route 331 remains impassable for small cars and motorists have been advised to use the other routes.

The declaration of public disaster zone will enable Pattaya city administration to make use of emergency budget to help affected residents and to maintain roads and other public utilities damaged by floods.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/pattaya-declared-disaster-zone

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-17

They're just declaring Pattaya a disaster area now? I thought that happen years ago when they stopped maintaining the infrastructure. 555

Kidding of course. My heart goes out to all those affected.

BTW, doesn't that layer of bitumen (asphalt) look pretty thin? I'm not a road engineer -- just going on gut feelings.

Edited by Inn Between

Been declared as a disaster zone, even though -

"Situation has returned to normal after floodwater has receded in most parts of the city"

"The declaration of public disaster zone will enable Pattaya city administration to make use of emergency budget to help affected residents and to maintain roads and other public utilities damaged by floods."

Aaaah - it all makes sense now.....

5555 , Pattaya been a disaster zone since the 90's.

Got news for you buddy, This was happening in the late 80's also, again mainly due to improper zoning and inability to upgrade drainage and roads for increased traffic/Use, I even remember almost crashing into a huge hole way back in 1984 due to a road giving way after a huge storm passed through.

They're just declaring Pattaya a disaster area now? I thought that happen years ago when they stopped maintaining the infrastructure. 555

BTW, doesn't that layer of bitumen (asphalt) look pretty thin? I'm not a road engineer -- just going on gut feelings.

You should come to our village, they spread it with a butter knife.

INUNDATION
Pattaya reels under floods

THE NATION

30269038-01_big.jpg?1442528217106
Rescue workers use an inflatable boat to bring schoolchildren home from their flooded school in Rayong province

Encroachments prevent canals and channels from draining away water

PATTAYA: -- THE severe flooding that has inundated Pattaya and much of Chon Buri's Bang Lamung district in the wake of tropical storm Vamco was made worse by encroachment of public canals and waterway banks, the deputy mayor of Pattaya said yesterday.

Weerawat Khakhai said the heavy rains in the low-lying seaside resort contributed to the unusual flooding, but it was exacerbated by encroachment on waterways and canals such as Klong Nok Yang, Klong Kratinglai and Klong Na Kleu, which prevented the water from draining into the sea.

Meanwhile, the National Disaster Warning Centre (NDWC) yesterday warned 14 eastern and southern provinces of floods and landslides.

They were: Chanthaburi, Trat, Rayong, Chumphon, Ranong, Phang Nga, Phuket, Surat Thani, Krabi, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Trang, Phatthalung, Satun and Songkhla. Weerawat said water-draining channels were already struggling to keep up with the city's expansion, he said, while garbage was also clogging the pipes.

The city was considering short-term solutions such as digging up the central and southern Pattaya footpath to let water pass through for fast drainage, he said. Officials were inspecting the damage to provide aid and the provincial governor would be consulted about the budget for compensating flood-hit people.

Overnight rain in Pattaya triggered floods that inundated homes and resorts while roads in Bang Lamung were badly hit, especially sections of highway No 331.

Government Spokesman Maj-General Sansern Kaewkamnerd said Prime Minister General Prayut Chan-o-cha had urged agencies to help affected people, especially those in Chon Buri as well as parts of the deeply flooded 7th motorway.

Tourism in Pattaya is expected to drop by 20-30 per cent this weekend due to the heavy rains, according to the Eastern Chapter of the Thai Hotels Association.

"Both foreigners and locals have cancelled their trips to Pattaya this weekend," said Sanphet Suphabuansathien, regional president of the association. He added that all ferry operators between Pattaya and Koh Lan had suspended their services, while water and beach activities have ceased since Wednesday. But some indoor performances and show programmes have been unchanged.

The average hotel occupancy rate in Pattaya and nearby areas fell short of its estimated 60-70 per cent to 40-50 per cent.

Pattaya suffered an estimated 20-per-cent drop in tourists this year due to the reduced number of Russian arrivals.

The heavy rains also prompted the postponement of a military boat parade to mark the retirement of Royal Thai Navy Admiral Kraisorn Chansuvanich. It will now take place at Sattahip Base on Tuesday.

In Rayong's Ban Chang district, Klong Pai Reservoir burst yesterday morning sending floodwater to sweep away at least 10 homes and inundate other houses in nearby Tambon Huai Yai in Chon Buri.

Many areas of Rayong province, including sections of highway No 3 and No 364, were also in deep water and impassable to small vehicles.

Residents in Muang district's Tambon Thabma were forced to move their belongings away from flooded areas early yesterday morning.

Kwanjira Hassano, 43, said she and her neighbours couldn't move their belongings out of rented houses fast enough so most of their items were lost in the flood.

Forest floods from Banthat Mountain Range inundated 70 homes and 500 rai of farmlands in Trang's Na Yong and Muang districts.

Chumphon's Pato district also saw Ban Nai Yan inundated and its famous raft tourist spot hit by forest floods that also nearly destroyed a bridge connecting the village to the outside world. Residents of Lang Suan district braced for more runoffs later last night.

In Surat Thani province, continuous downpours and high water levels of the Tapi River and connecting canals prompted the authorities to monitor for possible landslides, especially in Phanom district, where visitors were warned not to |visit risky areas of the Khao Sok National Park.

In Songkhla's Muang district, more than 20 traditional fishing boats in Ban Kaoseng stayed ashore due to high waves and winds off the Gulf of Thailand.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Pattaya-reels-under-floods-30269038.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-18

Pattaya declared “Disaster Zone” due to ongoing rain and flooding

flood-21.jpg?resize=610%2C393

PATTAYA: -- In order to release reserve funds to cope with the damage and disruption as a result of the heavy and sustained rainstorms caused by the aftermath of Tropical Storm Vamco, the Mayor of Pattaya has declared Pattaya a “Disaster Zone”, although in reality the situation has improved since Wednesday.

Beginning with the sea, waves of between 2 and 3 meters in height are still being experienced and the Red Flag is still in place which prevents any private or commercial vessels from sailing.

On land, a major issue has emerged on Highway 331 in the East of Pattaya where parts of the road have collapsed leaving large holes which are forcing authorities to close sections of the road until repairs can be made.

Also in the East of Pattaya the railroad has been closed in places due to flooding. The poor construction of the road has been blamed for this issue which is caused by poor drainage and undulations in the road which cause some areas to easily flood during periods of sustained and heavy rainfall.

In Soi Kaotalo in East Pattaya parts of the newly resurfaced road are peeling away, an issue which is also being blamed on poor road construction methods.

In Soi Watboon in Jomtien floodwater remains and in some areas side roads remain impassable.

Full story: http://pattayaone.net/pattaya-news/218008/pattaya-declared-disaster-zone-due-to-ongoing-rain-and-flooding/

pattaya-one.jpg
-- Pattaya One 2015-09-18

Pattaya....or "Pah...thai.....ay" not "PAT_aye_ah" oh, anyhow....i only speak thai.

yesterday i counted 12,424 bar girls.......last year i counted 928748923470238904732948027349803274302894

so i would call this a disaster.

anyhow, stay safe out there......

being Pattaya it's probably made of used condoms

Wheres the good Mayor and his magic wand ohhhh Still trying to negotiate with Isan Beach criminals that have been there for years LOL

Hey buddy hows Insomnia open until 7am in morning which is not legal > But you get paid right

Funny

Also in the East of Pattaya the railroad has been closed in places due to flooding. The poor construction of the road has been blamed for this issue which is caused by poor drainage and undulations in the road which cause some areas to easily flood during periods of sustained and heavy rainfall.

In Soi Kaotalo in East Pattaya parts of the newly resurfaced road are peeling away, an issue which is also being blamed on poor road construction methods.

Poor road construction in Pattaya and surrounding areas? Surely not! You cannot expect much else when a good deal of the money intended for constructing to an acceptable standard ends up in "other pockets". I wonder how much of the emergency relief money will be spent actually carrying out the repairs. 70% maybe and the other 30% Who knows?

Instead of making stupid statements in relation to poor road construction the officials responsible should stop talking and take some real action.

Funny I do not here of any police offering there services LOL

I think i helped more people

It's because there's nothing in it for them. The City should give them the job of cleaning up all the mess. It will be the first time in history they would do something constructive towards the city.

Weerawat Khakhai said the heavy rains in the low-lying seaside resort contributed to the unusual flooding, but it was exacerbated by encroachment on waterways and canals such as Klong Nok Yang, Klong Kratinglai and Klong Na Kleu, which prevented the water from draining into the sea.

And they didn't know about that before?

You should come to our village, they spread it with a butter knife.

I thought that was a tarp. But it could be a light coat of tarmac. Not the fault of Pattaya , same same everywhere.