Heavy rains continue to cause havoc in many Thai provinces

webfact

Heavy rains continue to cause havoc in many provinces

1251-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Continual rainfalls in the country's central, eastern and southern regions brought in by tropical storm Vamco are still causing havoc to vast areas and disrupt traffic on many highways and roads.

Hardest hit was reported in Ranong in the South where floods and heavy rainstorm brought down several power poles, blacking out electricity in large areas last night, and a dozen of fishing boats were sunk by strong waves in Bang Sarae district of Rayong province yesterday.

The Meteorological Department issued its latest announcement today forecasting heavy to heaviest rains from early today until tomorrow in 70-80% of areas in these regions.

Bangkok and adjacent provinces will expect heavy rains in some area today while 70% of areas will be cloudy.

In Chumphon province, a student van with 30 nursery and primary education students were rescued after the driver tried to drive in the strong current across a bridge in Lang Suan district.

Nobody was hurt but the van was submerged and swept away by the current.

In Chanthaburi province, the Chantaburi River has overflowed banks and flooded houses in Kitchakut district and caused a flash flood in Ta Mai district.

Meanwhile continuous rainfalls for the past 3 days in Rayong province have caused inundations in many areas, while water spilled from a reservoir has flooded both the Rayong and Map Ta Phut town, and also flooded the Sukhumvit highway in Baan Chang district.

Chachoengsao province also was hit by continuous downpours that has inundated several sections of the Highway 304 linking Chachaengsao with Phanom Sarakham.

Flash flood flowing down from the hill quickly threatened the Panom Sarakham hospital, prompting authorities to move in trucks to provide assistance to patients.

Local residents at the Phanom Sarakham market, meanwhile, have to put up brick walls in front of their houses to prevent flooding, as they prepared to move their belongings to higher grounds.

Floodwater submerged the motorway in Chanthaburi province at Kilometres 116 to 117 kilometre as well as Sukhumvit road of Bang Lamung district.

In Pattaya, although floodwater has receded but residents and businesses are still staying alert as more rains and high could worsen the situation.

This week’s flooding in Pattaya was said to be the worst in a decade.

Adjacent Sri Racha district of Chonburi was also submerged during heavy downpour yesterday.

In the South, local authorities from the Nopparat Thara National Park on Krabi province’s Phi Phi Island had to put up red flags to prevent tourists from swimming in the sea due to strong and high waves.

Risky beaches included Nopparat Thara, Talay Waek, and on Koh Mai Pai island as all three locations have seen strong winds and high waves.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/heavy-rains-continue-to-cause-havoc-in-many-provinces

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-18

Pattaya spends zero the bare minimum on infrastructure, so it's hardly a surprise that it floods every year, some years worse than others. coffee1.gif

Pattaya is a cash rich city, with all the income it gets from tourism, and no doubt it's well funded from the Central Govt. in BKK. Where is all the money going, well we all know the answer to that one thumbsup.gif

Edited by merlin2002

Tropical Storm Vamco weakens, Thailand continues to experience heavy rain

vs.jpg

BANGKOK, 18 September 2015 (NNT) - The Meteorological Department has forecast more rain in most parts of Thailand, as Tropical Storm Vamco weakened to a low pressure system.

An estimated 70% of the North, South and Central Plains will experience precipitation, with heavy rain forecast in the provinces of Chiang Mai, Tak, Sukhothai, Kamphaeng Phet, Phichit, Nakhon Sawan, Uthai Thani, Saraburi, Chainat, Suphanburi, Kanchanaburi and Ratchaburi. The forecast also applies to Chumphon, Surat Thani, Nakhon Sri Thammarat, Pattalung and Songkhla provinces.

In the Northeast, it is expected to rain in 60% of the region. However, residents of the provinces of Khon Kaen, Nakhon Ratchasima, Buriram and Surin have been warned of severe weather conditions.

The East Coast will have more rain than the rest of the country, particularly in Chachoengsao, Chonburi, Rayong, Chanthaburi and Trat provinces. Waves in both the Andaman Sea and the Gulf of Thailand will reach the maximum height of three meters during this time. Small fishing vessels should remain ashore.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-18 footer_n.gif

I am in Ban Saen, our house is under 2 M of water, lost both our cars.

Not one offer of help from the authorities, and there are over 100 houses in the same situation as us!!

Water level is rising and we have had no rain since last night!

So much for all the bullshit PR from the government agency's, terrible and disgusting reponce

The rain was biblical proportions yesterday around Rayong and after some rain this morning & through lunch it has turned sunny this afternoon so took the dog to the beach. The surf was about the highest I've seen it since I moved here, would presume it was even bigger yesterday but I didn't go out during the storms.

Not one offer of help from the authorities, and there are over 100 houses in the same situation as us!!

So much for all the bullshit PR from the government agency's, terrible and disgusting reponce

I hope things improve for you, the wife and I were watching the scenes from around Rayong on the news last night so you have our commiserations.

I hope things improve for you, the wife and I were watching the scenes from around Rayong on the news last night so you have our commiserations.

Thanks for the good wishes, things are getting worse sorry to say, and still no help...incredible.

There are many old people in this estate, no water, food etc.

Pattaya spends zero the bare minimum on infrastructure, so it's hardly a surprise that it floods every year, some years worse than others. coffee1.gif

Pattaya is a cash rich city, with all the income it gets from tourism, and no doubt it's well funded from the Central Govt. in BKK. Where is all the money going, well we all know the answer to that one thumbsup.gif

I would love to see the tables that you read showing outlay for expenses, and profit generated for the city. Can you provide a link for me? I always wondered, since I have never paid a City Sales Tax for any of my purchases here where the money to run the city comes from, although you have now told me that it is the tourist. And where do they pay the Tourist Sales Tax that goes to the city of Pattaya? I anxiously await your links so that I can learn more. Thanks.

I'm in the same area.. If there's anything I can do to help please let me know. You can PM me ..

Pattaya smells when it isnt flooded . I cant imagine what it smells like now?

Guess you got a good deal on the land huh? Did you bother to check the flood plain before you bought/built?

Edited by lapd

Pattaya smells when it isnt flooded . I cant imagine what it smells like now?

Smells pretty good for a change. The drainage/sewers were getting pretty ripe there for awhile with the lack of rain. All garbage washed away and streets clean. I was hoping for a good downpour so that this would happen. Got a little more than I bargained for. Just regular rainy season downpour for a few hours would have been sufficient.

Yes where indeed?With all the money that city generates,it still looks shabby and the roads and pavements are a total mess.Other provinces that generate far less money are in a much better state.So obviously someone has their fingers in the till.

I would love to see the tables that you read showing outlay for expenses, and profit generated for the city. Can you provide a link for me? I always wondered, since I have never paid a City Sales Tax for any of my purchases here where the money to run the city comes from, although you have now told me that it is the tourist. And where do they pay the Tourist Sales Tax that goes to the city of Pattaya? I anxiously await your links so that I can learn more. Thanks.

Since you can't even understand how the baht/ruble exchange rate works, this topic is surely too complicated for you. But I'll try:

All businesses (hotels, restaurants etc) have to pay tax. You pay VAT for any purchase.

These funds go to the central government, which then redistributes back to the provinces. I don't know how the apportionment is made though.

always remember "your'e on your own in Thailand" with everything, I know its no consolation. Not much rain in Pranburi I think weve missed 90% of it, hope you get sorted out soon.

Guess you got a good deal on the land huh? Did you bother to check the flood plain before you bought/built?

Nice comment

" In Chumphon province, a student van with 30 nursery and primary education students were rescued after the driver tried to drive in the strong current across a bridge in Lang Suan district. "

What does the police ? 1zgarz5.gif1zgarz5.gif

Staying dry at the station until the rain is over, when it'd be like where I am...

Since you can't even understand how the baht/ruble exchange rate works, this topic is surely too complicated for you. But I'll try:

All businesses (hotels, restaurants etc) have to pay tax. You pay VAT for any purchase.

These funds go to the central government, which then redistributes back to the provinces. I don't know how the apportionment is made though.

Maybe this will explain it: "The Thai state spent more than 72 percent of public funds in greater Bangkok, where only 17 percent of Thais lived" NY Times

May I suggest that dear leader Prayuth and his cronies simply lie on their backs and open their mouths, shut the FXCK Up and catch the rainfall. With mouths as big as theirs Thailand will never have a water shortage ever again. If all of the BIB and all of the Army and Government storing millions of litres of nice clean rainwater, they could be bussed up into the regions that actually contribute to Thailand (Rice and vegetable farmers) and hopefully discharge their mouthfuls of water to do a bit of good for the country instead of destroying it! Instead of discharging mouthfuls of their toxic bilge that we have to listen to every day. I would think that Prayuth could refill the Bhumibol Dam on his own in less than 10 minutes. The Head Honcho from the RTP could if he really tried alleviate the flooding in Pattaya with one big mouthful.

What really gets me is that whenever they spew their toxic bilge they always make sure that it is in English, usually by terrible subtitles, even on CH7 and CH3, it isn't even promoted in Thai! "Let our Country Be Stronger From Within" and all that vomit, but that is never translated into Thai.

Edited by menzies233

Don't dispeare and hold out, thai car mechanics are superior in the world to fix submerged cars

But of course don't trust any help from the authorities.

JohanB