Yingluck & former ministers to pay half trillion baht compensation

webfact

Yingluck & former ministers to pay half trillion baht compensation

BANGKOK, 18 September 2015 (NNT) – The government is preparing to order former PM Yingluck Shinawatra and former Cabinet members to pay 510 billion baht in compensation for their involvement in the graft-ridden rice subsidy scheme.

A fact-finding committee concluded that Ms. Yingluck had to pay 500 billion baht to compensate damages incurred under the rice pledging project approved during her administration.

Former Commerce Minister Boonsong Teriyapirom and former Deputy Commerce Minister Phum Sarapol have to pay 10 billion baht in compensation.

Deputy PM for legal affairs Wissanu Krea-ngam said he would seek Prime Minister approval from General Prayut Chan-o-cha on this issue by September 30, so that the Ministry of Finance can issue the order for compensation.

Ms. Yingluck and her former Cabinet members may appeal against the order with the Administrative Court. If the court upholds the Ministry of Finance’s demand, the trio will have to pay compensation immediately following the court’s ruling.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-18 footer_n.gif

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

500 billion to be taken from the Shiniwatra coffers ?.

That's 'get some mercenaries, organise some buses and start a civil war' kind of money.

I hope most reds will realise just how much they are being used when they get the order.

Like last time the Shins got their bottoms smacked and Bangkok burnt, same will happen again. All very easy to understand, except we will be reading on TVF that it was collective outrage over the coup some years back. Ring any bells?

Wow if this goes through, it is a good reason for the previous government to release their dogs of war again. This is serious money. It would really cripple them and make it hard for them to put money in the next election. This could certainly end in a paid for uprising by the previous government because this hits them where it hurts.

We do need to see if this will really happen (them paying money) but if this is really pushed it could make the previous government want to strike back.

Wow if this goes through, it is a good reason for the previous government to release their dogs of war again. This is serious money. It would really cripple them and make it hard for them to put money in the next election. This could certainly end in a paid for uprising by the previous government because this hits them where it hurts.

We do need to see if this will really happen (them paying money) but if this is really pushed it could make the previous government want to strike back.

Perhaps the gamble is that they can break the Shinawatra's without starting big trouble?

Have they considered what may happen if they jail Yingluck should she not be able/ refuse to pay? Are they strong enough to hold down the country and it's population, outside of Bangkok?

I think we can take it as another indication that this time they are playing for keeps.

We've already established they don't give two hoots what the international community thinks - ousting an elected Prime Minister and replacing her government with a military Junta, and then fining her 10 Billion Quid! The police awarding themselves that reward money pales into insignificance.

600 billion is about what Suthep and Gen. Prayut cost the country in their 'rule or ruin' campaign to shut the country down so as to justify military rule.

And that is so far. By the time they have finished it will be a lot more. These are also true losses to the country whereas the rice scheme just issued some of the money to the wrong people but it stayed in the country and will be recirculated amongst all the well off. It was never lost.

Perhaps the gamble is that they can break the Shinawatra's without starting big trouble?

Have they considered what may happen if they jail Yingluck should she not be able/ refuse to pay? Are they strong enough to hold down the country and it's population, outside of Bangkok?

I think we can take it as another indication that this time they are playing for keeps.

We've already established they don't give two hoots what the international community thinks - ousting an elected Prime Minister and replacing her government with a military Junta, and then fining her 10 Billion Quid! The police awarding themselves that reward money pales into insignificance.

It could well be that they think they can break the Shinawatra's with this, perhaps they have seen what not breaking them leads too.

I think the army thinks they are strong enough to hold them down, and a real confrontation with the army would see the red-shirts as the looser. However if they start a bombing cam pain or something like that it could make the army back off. But they might loose a lot of support if they start bombing people.

As you said looks like they are playing for keeps this time. This could get bad depending on what action the red-shirts take. If they go face to face with the army they loose. If they start a bombing campaign in BKK the people loose. I don't see how they can overthrow the army.

600 billion is about what Suthep and Gen. Prayut cost the country in their 'rule or ruin' campaign to shut the country down so as to justify military rule.

And that is so far. By the time they have finished it will be a lot more. These are also true losses to the country whereas the rice scheme just issued some of the money to the wrong people but it stayed in the country and will be recirculated amongst all the well off. It was never lost.

Well I guess that's one way to avoid the words corruption and collusion.

Do you really honestly believe because it just went into the 'wrong accounts' it's therefore all OK?

So If I owe you some money and I sent the repayment to the wrong account then I guess it's all OK, all finished?

Strange values.

Let's see... 510 billion, add on some interest, minus legal fees, minus erm administrative costs, minus ahem miscellaneous charges... farmers should end up with about 20 baht each.

Once that's done the government can then invoice Suthep and friends another trillion or so for the airports, street closures etc.

It could well be that they think they can break the Shinawatra's with this, perhaps they have seen what not breaking them leads too.

I think the army thinks they are strong enough to hold them down, and a real confrontation with the army would see the red-shirts as the looser. However if they start a bombing cam pain or something like that it could make the army back off. But they might loose a lot of support if they start bombing people.

As you said looks like they are playing for keeps this time. This could get bad depending on what action the red-shirts take. If they go face to face with the army they loose. If they start a bombing campaign in BKK the people loose. I don't see how they can overthrow the army.

I wouldn't be do sure. Most of the army is conscript. Loyalties will be uncertain, particularly as they are conscripted predominantly from amongst the working poor. Middle class kids are apparently surprisingly lucky in the draft lottery. I don't think it even exists for rich kids.

Most of the army lacks organic mobility (their own transport). They are basically unable to operate in any strength away from where they are based.

In terms of its tactical ability and leadership, who knows, I suspect it may be an empty shell.

If the reds have any sense ( a big if I accept) they won't bomb or burn Bangkok. Just ensure that the junta's writ doesn't extend beyond the big cities (essentially Bangkok).

Im sure the red won't win an armed conflict you might see it different but there are enough loyal army supporters to end any red uprising. (just rotate those from the south)

However I doubt that this will go through, trying to impound the money of YL. I just don't see it happening. But if it did the scenario we discussed could happen.