Progressive Lens Eyeglasses - did I buy wrong?

WorriedNoodle

I got my first pair of reading glasses about two years ago, photo split lense (4,000 Bt)., really great until I seen myself properly for the first time in years in the mirror...wow, every nook and cranny , it's a bit of a shock to see yourself as others have been seeing you for the past few years.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought progressive/transitional lens glasses with a titanium frame in Australia from Optic Express with a full eye test for $A300 (9000TB) and they were brilliant.

After some years I got some progressive lens glasses from TC with a steel frame and they were terrible. The number of times I fell down the steps was scary; I could not see the computer without tilting my head back and driving was a nightmare. My Thai wife then convinced me to get a pair of prescription reading glasses and a separate pair for driving/normal distance vision and though it is inconvenient to keep switching (to read the iphone messages while outside), at least it is safer!

Ever wonder why certain chain opticians have plenty of shops and no customers. There has to be a reason.

Yes.

Probably because they make a huge profit on each sale.

I have used progressives for many years and find them excellent.

I reckon they also last longer as I can adjust the tilt of my head to compensate for the inevitable eyesight deterioration.

I got my first pair of progressive lens when I was stationed in Germany in 1972 and have been more than happy with them ever since. Back in those days they were known as variofocals and the pair I got was also photochromatic. They cost me about £60, which at the time was about 4 weeks wages.

They do take a bit of getting used to but are excellent for general use. How many times do you see people in restaurants changing their glasses to read the menu. Like everything else they are not perfect and in certain situations for a protracted period you may need another pair. The one I had to do something about was watching the small screens on an aircraft.

It strikes me that you did pay a bit over the odds, but were the lens glass? I changed from glass to plastic when the price shot up. I got a new pair at a small Thai opticians last year and they were 6500 baht including frame with progressive photochromatic lens.

I just received my 7th pair of progressive lenses from Zenni. Of the seven, one was not made properly and of course they replaced it. (When you get your new glasses take them and the Rx to TC and they will check them for free.

With progressives the size of the frame is important and the PD (pupil distance). Print out the Zenni order form and take it to the hospital or clinic where you got your Rx and have them help you fill it out.

A pair of Zenni progressives with all the top of the line coatings and transition darkening will be less then 6,000TB. And get the generic lenses.

Zenni staff are easy and helpful to talk to. Zenni is an American company and their production is in China. They produce their frames and lenses.

The only down side is the 2-3 week wait.

There's a Eye glass store on the corner of Thong Lo and Sukhumvit in Bangkok, family owned, been around for years. Paid less than

10,000 Bt. Frame name will determine more of the cost. The one's they showed me had the look I wanted right off the bat.

Progressive and took me maybe 1 month to totally adjust. I already had driving glasses from them, never a problem, but when shopping

and looking at price tags or a phone, I had to change, which the blended frames fixed.....and no problem driving.

I've been wearing eyeglasses for almost 50 years. Went to bifocals 8 years ago.

My doctor told there were two options. 1) standard bifocals with the line. 2) progressive bifocals. She told me either were OK, but progressive were more expensive. She said once I started wearinig one, it was best to keep to that style.

My experience with every new prescription is that it takes a day or two "to settle in".

Moved to Chiang Mai from the US in February. Right before the move had my eyes checked by my longtime eye doctor. She gave me a new prescription.

I NEVER use a discount store to by glasses.

Started researching stores when I arrived. I saw good reviews about “The Vision Center”.

The Doctor/owner insisted on doing his own exam. I was impressed. Gave a new prescription and I purchased two sets (one sun glasses). Took days and cost 17,000 THB for the pair. Large selection and great service.

So, if you're in Chiang Mai and need glasses check out this blog posting: http://livingoutsideofthebox.com/2013/06/19/buying-eyeglasses-in-chiang-mai-thailand/.

My two baht worth...

Check this on google

Essilor varilux physio 2.0

If they are cut correctly -after 2 or 3 days you will be ok

I use mine for computer, driving etc

even to play golf no problem.

Make sure the prescription is correct

The price for these top quality glasses is about right

I have dealt with TC once before to supply progressive lens eyeglasses. I wondered at the time what the "top" referred to and from this discussion it looks like it means top price. At no time was I ever convinced as to their competence or value, however being the sole provider in the town I live near, my choices were limited. I would not use them again or recommend them to anyone.

Get your eyes tested at a good hospital..... I've also been mis-prescribed by top Charoen staff, don't know if they have real or "in house" qualifications

That doesn't work either. Got prescription from Payathai, had lenses made in UK but......wrong prescription.

I bought a new pair progressive lenses at Wal-Mart, before coming to Thailand in July. Nikon non reflective lenses progressive lenses and new frames, cost less than $350. Have worn progressive for years. They take awhile for your eyes to adjust, but with the right Rx and placement of vision field your eyes adjust quicker. If you choose a frame that is narrow measured from top to bottom, the lenses will be limited to grinding to your Rx

32000 sounds a bit on the heavy end. I'm curious what brand of lenses you were sold. Nikon? Also different manufacturers will end up with different fields of view, its best to see a chart of that specific model lenses characteristics. Generally the fields of view are narrow, especially if this is a new experience for you. As others have said fit is very important in relation to the narrow field of view. Larger lense areas will provide you with the largest field of view, smaller short lenses likely won't work out. It takes some transition time to adjust to these type of lenses. I personally would not leave the prescription analysis or fitting in the hands of a TC retail technician, hospitals charge about 800+ baht for an eye exam.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

You probably did buy wrong, difficult to tell on which account though. Prescription or execution of the prescription?... I've been wearing progressive lenses for 25 years, into my fifth or sixth pair now I guess and couldn't live without them!

However ophthalmology is a real medical science hardly mastered by a sales girl after a few hours crash training course (in Thailand, the boss of these chains/franchises may have real qualifications but he's out playing golf while the shop is handled by 9000B/month sales girls...

So get a proper prescription from a real ophthalmologist (who by the way may discover some other field related pathology)

Then try to get a serious optician and that's the hard part. There is one I would recommend in BKK, small shop on SUKHUMVIT, just under NANA BTS station (odd sois side) in his sixties, been there for 30 years, knows his stuff!

Price probably matters less however, for 30k you should get among the best lenses available such as Hoya or Essilor but no, you do not get the same lens for 3k and 30k except if cheated.

Finally, yes it takes a bit of time to adapt, not much in my experience though, but if you still feel uncomfortable after a few days something is wrong.

The OP doesn't mention where he is located....

Last week, in Bangkok, I got my eyes tested at Rutnin Eye Hospital, including a complete exam by an ophthalmologist, for 2100 Baht. I took my prescription to V. Siam Optical on Suk 23 and bought Nikon progressive lenses for 9450 Baht and frames for 3500 Baht. The lenses were on sale for 50% off until the end of September.....

I had been to other shops but went to V. Siam based on the recommendations of other TV members in forums. Other shops wanted 25,000 Baht for lenses. I laughed at them and walked out. I was happy to meet the patient, non-pressure folks at V. Siam.

The optometrist at V. Siam took care to measure carefully and fit me properly. I chose lenses that are "normal size" not small like many new style frames suggest. The lenses took 4 days to arrive at his shop and I was out the door with my new glasses within 5 days. I can use them for reading, but truly, because I have to tilt my head up to see through the bottom part of the lens, it's easier for me to just take them off and read without them.

I should mention that I was wearing progressive lenses before I got the new prescription so I knew what to expect. The adjustment period for me was 3-4 days. Now, I'm doing just fine with them.

If the OP is in BKK, perhaps he may wish to try V. Siam Optical in the future.

I got my progressive classes three years ago in the states for close to 30,000 baht. Your price is right. Mine have three reading options: (1) distance (2) reading and (3) computer. Yes, the field is small for the reading and computer. It's just the nature of the beast until newer technology arrives. And yes, you will get used to it.

Eye test in Thailand is around 200bht.

If you pay more, special foreigner price.

Also eye tests these days don't need much talent from the ophthalmist, there is a computer operated machine that does the lot.

You just peer in the device and watch the farm scene. Prescription comes up on the computer screen.

Vision Express in Chiang Mai have the machine.

Lots of con artists selling glasses because it's easy money.

All the stories here about people being able to use progressive or not, mainly irrelevant.

If you bought them from a con artist (or incompetent), they are unlikely to work, you will need time to learn to use them (eyes can adjust to a slightly wrong prescription), or you will tell everyone they didn't work for you (eyes can't adjust to a completely wrong prescription).

Progressive lens with the correct prescription will work for everyone, no 'training' needed.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to keep my cheap reading glasses just for the computer which I spend most of my working day on. So far only find progressive comfortable looking down at something like a watch or phone but not much practical use. I've switched to my old glasses to type this.

Yes the price was 32,000THB! The frame was about 6,000THB and the lenses 26,000THB. They told me I was getting a 50% price deduction as well as list price was over 60,000THB! They had some more expensive than that. Not surprised the shops are mostly empty when I go by.

I think I'll take them back next week if no improvement and tell them they are useless.

You were ripped off big time. I paid B12,000 to Better Vision for progressive lenses in a Titanium frame about 16 years ago after getting fed up with B3,000 glasses that had frames that went green and had to be changed every 6 months. Earlier this year Better vision did not have the style of frame I like, so I went to Thai Optic in Seacon Square. The first set of glasses (cost B18,000) arrived with the focal points not matching between the left and right hand lenses. They then sent them back for fixing. When they returned I found the left hand eye focal point was 5mm higher then the right, so I told them to change them. In the end they preferred to refund my money through Citibank so I went back to Better Vision and they ordered the old style Titanium frames for me and the new glasses arrived perfectly made. My lenses are progressive which also darken in strong sunlight. I cannot understand why yours could possibly cost B32,000. My new ones from Better Vision were only B14,000 all inclusive.

I bought my progressive lenses with excellent frames at Vintage optical in Cebu, Philippines for about 6000 pesos a couple years ago. It took a while to get used to them and I love the fact that I can see things near and far.

Before I got them, I remember walking around wearing +1 glasses with a pair of +3 hanging around my neck for texting and reading. The small area of +2 for the computer makes me feel uncomfortable, so I just keep a special pair of computer only glasses near my desktop.

The progressive lenses work fine for using my laptop computer for some reason.

I bought a pair in Europe, around 1500, got used to them within a day or two, perfect vision. I'd go back to Top Charoen, I've had problems at other opticians where they got the prescription wrong. There are different types of progressive multi focal lenses with different patterns.

NEVER depend on a shop selling frames to make an eye examination.

That mistake that cost me 10,000 Baht

I went to Bangkok Hospital, got an eye exam and written prescription.

Then I ordered a pair on-line from Zenni Optical ... flexible titanium progressive lens and they look better than what I see in shops. This cost 3,000 Baht, no import tax ... shipped from Hong Kong ... about 10 days from placing order to my post box.

Also eye tests these days don't need much talent from the ophthalmist, there is a computer operated machine that does the lot.

You just peer in the device and watch the farm scene. Prescription comes up on the computer screen.

All the stories here about people being able to use progressive or not, mainly irrelevant.

If you bought them from a con artist (or incompetent), they are unlikely to work, you will need time to learn to use them (eyes can adjust to a slightly wrong prescription), or you will tell everyone they didn't work for you (eyes can't adjust to a completely wrong prescription).

Progressive lens with the correct prescription will work for everyone, no 'training' needed.

"Eye test in Thailand is around 200bht". Is that all your eyes are worth to you ? If you need new glasses, it means that your eyes have changed, and there is the possibility of a serious problem. This is especially true if you are over the age of 50. Save a few Baht - be a cheap Charlie and go blind. What a wonderful philosophy.

No 200 Baht eye machine will give you a thorough eye examination. This should be done by a qualified doctor, who has then continued their training to specialize in eye care. It is also important that you can discuss your eye condition with the doctor. I have yet to meet an eye machine that speaks to me, and/or cares if I go blind.

There are many recommendations of good eye doctors here on TV. Get the eye exam and then get a prescription for your new glasses.

Yes they take time, because you have to get used to automatically look in a certain angle.

And surely you paid 3.000, not 30.000?

If he went to TC I believe that is what he paid. They quoted my g/f over 20,000 bahts for a set of frames alone. They said they were on sale. I agree with the staffing comment. Out to lunch. One last comment on eye glasses according to my friend a retired eye glass guy glasses are one of the highest markup products you can buy. That is why you see so many $29.99 offers popping up for basic glasses. Also reminds me of the teeth bracket market here. Prices all over the board and all the young girls wearing them. Went through that bizarre process with my g/f but that's another story.

Edited by elgordo38

I bought progressive lenses from Euro-Optic in Pattaya a little over a year ago. The cost was about 26,000 Baht. As others have mentioned, my biggest problem was the very narrow band at bottom for reading - never could really adjust to it. The central part for computer and top for distance was fine. At the time, I was in hopes the glasses would forestall having to have cataract surgery. No such look, the cataracts (both eyes) continued to grow much more rapidly than I anticipated. So, I had the surgery about 3 months ago. Although my distance vision was, IMO, great without the need for glasses, my Eye doctors said I still needed glasses and recommended bifocals or progressive lenses so I could also use them for reading (after the surgery, I was using those cheap magnifying type for reading (2.5 power) and working at the computer (1.5 power), which worked fine - but it was inconvenient). He gave me a prescription for new glasses, but also gave me some measurement for the frames saying I should get frames to fit my eyes, not forcing my eyes to fit the frames.

Some friends had used Zenni Optical - an online store based in San Francisco - and highly recommended them. I was able to choose frames that met the requirements my Doctor had given me. I selected two frames (one for regular glasses and one for sunglasses) and entered my prescription information and chose progressive lenses. All their lenses have anti-scratch and UV coating - anti-reflective coatingand tinting are a small extra charge for each. The glasses were shipped from Hong Kong a little over two weeks from when I ordered - Zenni sent me a tracking number for Hong Kong Post, which I was also able to use to continue tracking in Thailand's Postal system.

I found the glasses to be fine and frames to be of good quality although I still have problems with the narrow band for reading. Even better was the price - for both pair and shipping was US$238 (about 8,400 Baht). If you want to check out their website, just Google Zenni Optical.

Ok, thanks guys. Looks like I'll have to keep my cheap reading glasses just for the computer which I spend most of my working day on. So far only find progressive comfortable looking down at something like a watch or phone but not much practical use. I've switched to my old glasses to type this.

Yes the price was 32,000THB! The frame was about 6,000THB and the lenses 26,000THB. They told me I was getting a 50% price deduction as well as list price was over 60,000THB! They had some more expensive than that. Not surprised the shops are mostly empty when I go by.

I think I'll take them back next week if no improvement and tell them they are useless.

If you want to return them for a refund I think your in for one heck of a battle. Life lessons do come at a cost and I think you just paid for one. I went to Chiang Mai Ram for my eye test and it was reasonable around 600 bahts. I then went to the little eye glass store at the back on the third floor at KSK. My old frames were still good. New bifocal lenses with vary gray and a stigmatism adjustment plastic lenses 3500 bahts. Stay away from SP ripoff.

Edited by elgordo38

I had some dark blended made at TC. Their testing is a joke. I couldn't use them, and found, when testing them in Europe that one lens was upside down.

i don't think any of them have any training to speak of. I had a pair made in Europe, they were perfect. I didn't even have trouble in the beginning.

"Eye test in Thailand is around 200bht". Is that all your eyes are worth to you ? If you need new glasses, it means that your eyes have changed, and there is the possibility of a serious problem. This is especially true if you are over the age of 50. Save a few Baht - be a cheap Charlie and go blind. What a wonderful philosophy.

No 200 Baht eye machine will give you a thorough eye examination. This should be done by a qualified doctor, who has then continued their training to specialize in eye care. It is also important that you can discuss your eye condition with the doctor. I have yet to meet an eye machine that speaks to me, and/or cares if I go blind.

There are many recommendations of good eye doctors here on TV. Get the eye exam and then get a prescription for your new glasses.

A 'qualified doctors' consultation in Thailand is around 100bht.

I agree if you are one of these 'always sick' persons, best to go to a doctor often.

My only reasons to visit doctors are for them to repair impact damage.

Glasses last me 6 to 8 months .... they get smashed ....... off road cycling isn't a gentle sport.

Edited by MaeJoMTB

You can check what lens the optrician used for your glasses. There are many out there. For example Hoya, Varilux and so on. I have the lens Varilux Comfort 360 in my glasses. They are not so modern anymore. But knowing the lens brand and model makes you be able to look up that particular lens on internet. How big the vision fields are in the glass and other specialities for that particular lens. That will give you more understanding in how just these are working.

That might help you finding out the charateristics of the lenses you have. If you have got an old or an modern lens with the latest technique. Newer and more modern lenses gives the best eye comfort. They are also more expensive of course.

When buying glasses it is important to point out what type of lens you want in your glasses. Otherwise the opticians might offer you glasses with old lenses in order to be able to offer a low price. You may then compare apples with pears if you understand what I mean.

And yes, it takes some time to get used to the progressive lenses. It can take from 3 weeks and up. Some people never get used to it. In that case maybe you should try monovision instead for progressive glasses. That can be done with contactlenses as weill. I for example use monovison style in contactlenses and progerssive lenses when I use glasses.

I have found the field of vision so narrow for close up stuff to read the computer screen I need to tilt my head up and squint through a very small area of the lens right at the bottom edge that has that distance in focus - a tunnel vision type of feel about it.

I had the same problem and to solve it I got separate spectacles with progressive lenses only for reading (bottom part of the lenses) and computer screen viewing (rest of the lenses)