Minor Crash On A Rented Scootor

mrleeparrott

It doesn't need a new bumper. Bondo and others make a flexible epoxy, two part bumper repair putty that's really good and not expensive.

The bumper could be easily removed, and the car driven while being repaired if money is tight.

I applaud the OP for trying to do the right thing even if I don't understand the concept of being broke in Thailand and adding to that, driving.

Cheers.

Nope it doesn't need a new bumper but OP is out of luck without his own insurance and the owner wanting to rip him off, the only compromise is to offer the owner a replacement cost of a new bumper.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Love all the people saying it don't need a new bumper,bet if it was their car they would want a new bumper

I would want a new bumper too and all damage fixed if someone hit me. Not a quick fix but a good fix. Why should anyone who is not at fault accept repairs that are not the best available.

First of all thanks everyone who has had an input so far, you've all been a huge help!

Secondly there have been some concerning developments...

I met with the guy, told him I found a quote for 10,000 baht from Toyota but this did not settle the case. He had brought a solicitor with him to meet me and had told me that he filed a police report incase I was to do a runner. He told me that the car was already in the process of being repaired so my quote to him was null and void.

I gave him the 10,000 baht, and I was presented with an agreement to pay a sum of 5,000 baht every week until the total 40,000 was paid. Honestly, I felt very intimidated and even bullied into signing the agreement. Now he is expecting my next payment to be transferred into his account this tuesday. I do not feel as though I should pay this as I now know for a fact that the 10,000 I gave him WILL cover the cost for the replacement.

So my question now is, if I were to not pay him the rest as expected... What would be the consequence? Could I expect to get rushed by police the next time I stepped foot in an airport?

return bike TODAY/ASAP play dumb not mention you crashed it ...

If they notice the damage too motorbike then just take bike YOURSELF too any local shop and you pay for repairs outs pocket....

Then return repaired bike get full deposit back and LEAVE THAILAND on the next flight......

Live and learn mate

return bike TODAY/ASAP play dumb not mention you crashed it ...

If they notice the damage too motorbike then just take bike YOURSELF too any local shop and you pay for repairs outs pocket....

Then return repaired bike get full deposit back and LEAVE THAILAND on the next flight......

Live and learn mate

the scoot was returned a few days ago.

Well if you have already signed the agreement? Did you give him your i.d.? I imagine your apartment complex has your passport info? Therefore what you should do in my opinion is to forward him 1000 baht when your payment is due then next payment 500... etc. Keep telling him he will get more when your transfer comes through. He will likely just give up if he knows you don't have the money. In the meantime you may wish to exit stage left. The guy sounds like an ass to me.

He's clearly scamming you. DO NOT SIGN THIS PAPER. If you already did, then you are in a bit of trouble. That's a very stupid thing to do.

Be firm, if he's trying to pull tricks then tell him you will go to the police.

Ask for copies of any paperwork he has including the repair quote and police report and ask to speak to his insurance company. If he's still a dick, go to police yourself with your brother and any thai friend you have that you can trust a little bit at least.

Do not ever let yourself get bullied.

Good luck.

Sounds fair enough to me,I would also make a complaint about the Toyota garage that tried to double charge

...........and maybe give the name of the garage so we can avoid getting ripped off by them.

It was the Toyota head office by Chiang Mai Airport... I believe its the only one that does repairs, all the others are just showrooms

thanks to the OP for reminding me not to rent anything more than a pedal bike in Thailand. And even that can become a scam i'm sure.

i wouldn't report anyone......if you go a PRO shop in USA and a hack.....yes, the price can be 1/2 or 2x. good luck proving it's a farang scam. don't waste energy on that.

people always say thais are poor....but from all these threads they seem to be making bank!!!!!!!