should i sell it now and be done with the headache. condo

If it is anything like the condos/apartment blocks which started in Patong over a year or so ago, then I don't hold out much hope for you! Work has now just about ceased on these, with just the occasional worker or two scurrying around and so far no one has got one baht back from the down payments they made and/or the ongoing monthly commitments.

One Thai lady investor was naive enough to tell me that surely if the building wasn't finished and they went bust, that she would get her money back!!!

Some developments here are progressing normally, others seem to be at a complete standstill. As far as I can see the buildings that are already on the final tasks (plastering, painting, wall tiling) are the ones that are still being worked on. The holes in the ground are mostly just still holes.

Sales contracts should have specific dates and penalty clauses and conditions for reimbursement included, but many people seem to happily sign any old document without checking the details. Also it is normal for payment to be made in stages during the course of the build, but again many seem happy to pay up-front.

As far as I know bank guarantees/completion insurance are now obligatory here and so in theory people who have bought should indeed get most of their money back if the project fails. But I suspect that this will all hinge on the definition of "fail". A project that is just suspended for 5 or 10 years could be deemed not to have failed ..... yet. And quite what happens if the developers skip off back to the Middle East with all the money, I dont know.

Quote: "Sales contracts should have specific dates and penalty clauses and conditions for reimbursement included....."

And..."As far as I know bank guarantees/completion insurance are now obligatory here and so in theory people who have bought should indeed get most of their money back if the project fails".

One would have to be very naive to rely on any wording in any contract in Thailand, because in the main nothing is enforceable provided the right envelopes have changed hands. You only have to look at what has happened so far to the ACE condominium building, whereby the developers have been ordered to build/pay up/settle the dispute/whatever, a number of different times now with dates given by which to comply, and nothing has happened..........something very wrong here.

Work on The Park (Phanason) in Nanai Road ceased just about a year ago with the word being that the bank had withdrawn funding, and I recently heard that the reason for this was because the developers only had permission to build workers accommodation on the site and nothing more............ so I don't suppose the 998 units cited to be built there complied!

Don't know what's happened to the apartment block in Nanai Road called "Dinso" however work on that also seems to have come to a halt, this along with other half built apartments/shophouses in the new Middle Road........and the list goes on.

Buying off plan here, IMO, is far too risky..........in fact buying at all is far too risky and even though I did buy two houses in the early days, lived in one for four years and sold it for a profit and then bought another one as a renovation project and also sold that for a profit, I definitely wouldn't do it again – – mainly because I don't think there's any profit to be had at the moment.

There is probably only one situation in which I might consider buying a condo.................if I was 50 years old and wanted to retire here and could afford to do so, and could buy an apartment/condo in a fire sale type arrangement which was so cheap as to be unbelievable, then I just might be tempted. Outside of that – – no.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One would have to be very naive to rely on any wording in any contract in Thailand, because in the main nothing is enforceable provided the right envelopes have changed hands. You only have to look at what has happened so far to the ACE condominium building, whereby the developers have been ordered to build/pay up/settle the dispute/whatever, a number of different times now with dates given by which to comply, and nothing has happened..........something very wrong here.

Work on The Park (Phanason) in Nanai Road ceased just about a year ago with the word being that the bank had withdrawn funding, and I recently heard that the reason for this was because the developers only had permission to build workers accommodation on the site and nothing more............ so I don't suppose the 998 units cited to be built there complied!

Don't know what's happened to the apartment block in Nanai Road called "Dinso" however work on that also seems to have come to a halt, this along with other half built apartments/shophouses in the new Middle Road........and the list goes on.

It's true that the property market in Phuket appears to be even more corrupt and dodgy than it is in Pattaya, even though one would scarcely imagine such a thing to be possible.

I was just pointing out what Thai law in theory now covers. I also have little faith in Thai law or businesses in Thailand in general.

I would suggest you over paid for the property. Here in Bangkok you can get one with same square meter for the same or a little bigger

Sorry but I think you will have it a very long time

Where in Bangkok??? In a good area( Sukhumvit, Sathorn, even Silom), you would be lucky to get one this size for 5-6 Million THB!

Along Chareon Nakorn on the River 35 Square meters is selling for about 2.5 or so There are lots of them Check it out

I would suggest you over paid for the property. Here in Bangkok you can get one with same square meter for the same or a little bigger

Sorry but I think you will have it a very long time

Where in Bangkok??? In a good area( Sukhumvit, Sathorn, even Silom), you would be lucky to get one this size for 5-6 Million THB!

Bought an excellent location for 90k per sqm. Off plan last year. Mind you they are now asking 140-160k for the same units and none are available. But ... If you know where and when to look and are willing to move fast there are good deals.

if there are none available who is asking pray tell? whistling.gif

If it is anything like the condos/apartment blocks which started in Patong over a year or so ago, then I don't hold out much hope for you! Work has now just about ceased on these, with just the occasional worker or two scurrying around and so far no one has got one baht back from the down payments they made and/or the ongoing monthly commitments.

One Thai lady investor was naive enough to tell me that surely if the building wasn't finished and they went bust, that she would get her money back!!!

Some developments here are progressing normally, others seem to be at a complete standstill. As far as I can see the buildings that are already on the final tasks (plastering, painting, wall tiling) are the ones that are still being worked on. The holes in the ground are mostly just still holes.

Sales contracts should have specific dates and penalty clauses and conditions for reimbursement included, but many people seem to happily sign any old document without checking the details. Also it is normal for payment to be made in stages during the course of the build, but again many seem happy to pay up-front.

As far as I know bank guarantees/completion insurance are now obligatory here and so in theory people who have bought should indeed get most of their money back if the project fails. But I suspect that this will all hinge on the definition of "fail". A project that is just suspended for 5 or 10 years could be deemed not to have failed ..... yet. And quite what happens if the developers skip off back to the Middle East with all the money, I dont know.

Quote: "Sales contracts should have specific dates and penalty clauses and conditions for reimbursement included....."

And..."As far as I know bank guarantees/completion insurance are now obligatory here and so in theory people who have bought should indeed get most of their money back if the project fails".

Buying off plan here, IMO, is far too risky..........in fact buying at all is far too risky and even though I did buy two houses in the early days, lived in one for four years and sold it for a profit and then bought another one as a renovation project and also sold that for a profit, I definitely wouldn't do it again – – mainly because I don't think there's any profit to be had at the moment.

There is probably only one situation in which I might consider buying a condo.................if I was 50 years old and wanted to retire here and could afford to do so, and could buy an apartment/condo in a fire sale type arrangement which was so cheap as to be unbelievable, then I just might be tempted. Outside of that – – no.

At Ache they have been arrested and charged with Fraud Here is the update

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Ace-condo-developers-face-charges/61459

My wife is an agent and honest. Believe it or not,her company lets out property ,but will not look after it ,its not worth the hassle ,your main problems are ,where it is ,at the moment they have more property than you can shake a stick at ,few renters or buyers want the ground floor condo ,this month so far she has rented out 3 condo,all on high floors with good views also sold 2 both again on high floors,with good views ,I think your chances of selling or renting to be honest are slim at the best, there are so many wanting to do the same as you,sorry but a hard fact

if your wife has studios with "Farang quota" in resonably good location nd building shape to offer let her contact me. i am trying since months to buy (not for me) 6-8 units and was so far successful to get just 2.

p.s. even shoebox sizes (26-29m²) are acceptable.

Factual, as provided by you, you own a property, the property has associated maintenance costs, and you are thinking of selling it for 2.79M at least trying to get my money back.

Also, factual, as history shows, everything is cyclic, including real estate. Subjective analysis provides that Thailands recent political turmoil, coupled with the world economic crisis, and the fall in the ruble, indicates that the Pattaya real estate market is a buyers market. This will change but who knows when.

In your shoes, I would list the property for sale and consider any offers, investigate with the property management if you are legally allowed to rent the unit out (once it has been completed) perhaps with a lease-to-buy option, and, lastly, abandon the property if a buyer cant be found (to avoid the maintenance costs).

Only you can make the decision as only you know your financial status. Worse case scenario is you are not legally able to rent-it-out, you cannot afford the maintenance fees and you cannot find a buyer.

I dont know for a fact but I have serious doubts that you will be able to sell the unfinished property for the price you are thinking about but, you never know how good a salesman are you?

Anyway, good luck.

The OP doesn't need to be a good salesman. What he needs to do is find the person who sold it to him in the first place, then offer then a good commission to sell it again.

My wife is an agent and honest. Believe it or not,her company lets out property ,but will not look after it ,its not worth the hassle ,your main problems are ,where it is ,at the moment they have more property than you can shake a stick at ,few renters or buyers want the ground floor condo ,this month so far she has rented out 3 condo,all on high floors with good views also sold 2 both again on high floors,with good views ,I think your chances of selling or renting to be honest are slim at the best, there are so many wanting to do the same as you,sorry but a hard fact

if your wife has studios with "Farang quota" in resonably good location nd building shape to offer let her contact me. i am trying since months to buy (not for me) 6-8 units and was so far successful to get just 2.

With the market in it's current shape, and plenty of foreigners packing up and moving out, I can't believe that you aren't able to find any condo's within the foreign quota.

Or do you mean that you can't find any at the price you're willing to pay?

My best advice is to never buy a condo or anything else in Thailand.....a fool and his money......?

I bought 7 years a go a studio at MetroPark in Bangkok for 890k and was offered 1.3million; Would I buy in Pattaya? No - Would I buy in Bangkok next to a university and shopping mall at a good price? Any time

worst case senario, rent it out on a short term basis or put it in the thai wifes name or my thai daughters name , it was initially invested for my daughter in mind.

That's provided it's ever finished of course..........................!!

if its not then i get my money back, through courts maybe but it states in contract im entitled to full refund.

anyone know how much i pay for thai company name per year ?

worst case senario, rent it out on a short term basis or put it in the thai wifes name or my thai daughters name , it was initially invested for my daughter in mind.

That's provided it's ever finished of course..........................!!

if its not then i get my money back, through courts maybe but it states in contract im entitled to full refund.

anyone know how much i pay for thai company name per year ?

For your sake I sincerely hope that would be the case if the worst happens, however "contracts" here are often not worth the paper they are printed on. See an excerpt from a previous quote of mine.............

" One would have to be very naive to rely on any wording in any contract in Thailand, because in the main nothing is enforceable provided the right envelopes have changed hands. You only have to look at what has happened so far to the ACE condominium building, whereby the developers have been ordered to build/pay up/settle the dispute/whatever, a number of different times now with dates given by which to comply, and nothing has happened".

And although another poster "RealEnglish1" said that the developers have been charged with fraud, well that was back in June and they have been given a few dates before which to do something (eg, reimburse buyers, start the project etc) and they haven't complied with any one of them, and still it goes on...........

This topic, even more than many others, mostly highlights how many cynical expats live here ! If you think it is that bad, bu**er off back to where you came from. Or was it also so bad there that you thought the 'grass would be greener' ? !!

It's the same everywhere, but lots of plusses here. Some (negative) people find problems everywhere. Gullible people make unscrupulous people/crooks (gullible includes trusting too soon). Without them, there would be no crooks !!

I hope this post is not going to be too boring !!

1. Property slumps happen everywhere, just like there are con men/crooks everywhere. Remember, UK had bad property slump. USA had terrible one, for long time. Many, many evictions !!!! etc. etc.

It will get better here just like it did everywhere. Buy during a slump.

2. There are crooks everywhere. For example, when I first moved to Portugal, 19 years ago, the first night I went out for nice dinner, I drove 25kms. I drank too much wine etc. On the way home, I was soon stopped by police for driving over the limit. He suggested I gave him 1,000 Escudos ( before EUROS there). I gave it to him and he let me go. I WAS THEN STOPPED FIVE MORE TIMES, before I got home !!!! He had been on the radio to his mates !!! My Food/ Drink Import business there always carried a few spare crates of beer for policemen !!!! It has changed now.

In earlier days, Portugal was VERY safe place, just like most areas in UK, USA, EUROPE etc.etc. used to be. You could leave your home, car etc. open without worry. Most people even handed found items in to Police Station ! One reason I left Portugal, 10 years ago, similar to reasons I left England 29 years ago, was because immigrants made it dangerous. In Portugal, East Europeans/Middle Easterners broke into houses, stole, beat you for money, even pulled your finger nails out to get your pin number etc. etc. It all started here, in Thailand, when fighting soldiers with lots of money started coming to Pattaya for R&R. It was nice place till then !! Just wait till Europe absorbs all these 'so called migrants'. It will be even more dangerous than is has been since they started welcoming 'migrants' years ago. Ask Enoch Powell !!! There are of course a number of hard working exceptions ( the minority).

3. Regarding our friend with the expensive condo: His only mistake, (as most foreigners make), was to act too quickly, without research. 49% of Condos can be legally bought by Foreigners. That said, Buy is always better that rent, rent makes other people richer. Most (not all) people who say it is better to rent, can not afford to buy !! To buy with a company is VERY good advice. Saves all the problems, so often highlighted on this site and in many books, about 'unscrupulous' girls etc. They would not be unscrupulous if there were no stupid foreigners !!! It is cheap to run the company, around 20,000 Baht per year depending on who submits your annual accounts. Also much more appealing to foreign buyer when one wants to resell because no transfer tax etc. Very simple. I know, I do it. Also, I build/renovate houses to sell. ALWAYS in new company name ( before you ask, don't need Work Permit, because employ tradesmen ). And also so easy to do things that foreigners find difficult ( get services, utilities, borrow money, etc.etc.) and sell to foreigners. Rules for Thai Company are mostly same as for Thai citizen.

4. I have lived here for 10 years. I had a lot of fun with girls etc. It took eight years to find the right one to marry. I would say that the ratio of bad to PERFECT is approx 55 to 1 !!! So don't be too hard on him, many of us made mistakes here and there.

Be happy and stop complaining.

I agree with most of what Farangdanny said except for buying in company name. Why would I want to spend 20,000 baht a year to do the annual accounting company paperwork, not to mention all the hassle? 20,000 baht is more than most condo maintenance fees cost for a year on a typical 1 bedroom. Buy in foreign name and the condo is in your name, not your girlfriend's. Should you ever want to sell, a condo in foreign name is going to be easier to sell in most cases than one in company name. Many buyers will only view condos in foreign name--why limit your market of potential buyers?

I also don't see the need to buy a condo through a company formation, in the allotted foreign share, .

As for a house or villa, it is against Thai law to form a company for the sole purpose of property ownership.......and I quote:-

"To get around these restrictions, some have entered into structures whereby a company is set up to purchase property. A Thai national holds the majority of shares in that company, but in reality may have no financial interest in the company and may own it on behalf of the foreign buyer.

Clearly there are many nominee structures that are not legal — where people or an individual lawyer who has no financial investment in a property holds shares to basically allow a foreigner to own a property".

When I first came here I was advised by real estate folk and two Thai lawyers to buy my house through the company route, but I did some research and decided that even though many people had done it, it was still illegal and I did not want to be a part of that. In addition, in those days there were all sorts of people giving advice as to which way to purchase, with some real estate people telling would-be purchasers that they could take out a 30+30+30 year lease.........and so on.

Anyway, this thread wasn't really about the right or wrong ways to purchase property and I think the original poster actually said that he may have been a bit hasty in his decision to buy, however let's hope that it all works out well for him.

Edited by xylophone

3. Regarding our friend with the expensive condo: His only mistake, (as most foreigners make), was to act too quickly, without research. 49% of Condos can be legally bought by Foreigners. That said, Buy is always better that rent, rent makes other people richer. Most (not all) people who say it is better to rent, can not afford to buy !! To buy with a company is VERY good advice. Saves all the problems, so often highlighted on this site and in many books, about 'unscrupulous' girls etc. They would not be unscrupulous if there were no stupid foreigners !!! It is cheap to run the company, around 20,000 Baht per year depending on who submits your annual accounts. Also much more appealing to foreign buyer when one wants to resell because no transfer tax etc.

Buying is certainly not always better than renting, and buying in company name sounds like very bad advice to me.

Do you do stock market and forex tips too? I can't wait.

With the market in it's current shape, and plenty of foreigners packing up and moving out, I can't believe that you aren't able to find any condo's within the foreign quota.

i think i paid a rather fair price (for both parties) for those i found (THB 65,000/m²), location between 2nd and 3rd road, building 5½ years old, allocated space in basement garage, keycard access to building and rooms.

What makes you think you can actually sell an unfinished 34sqm company-name unit for 2.79MB? You could certainly advertise it at that price, though you may wait decades to generate any interest.

If you really have a buyer at that price then I suggest you sign as quickly as possible and get the hell out, especially as from what you say this is a premium of nearly 300,000B on what you paid.

Why did you pay 100% upfront anyway? Normally you only pay in stages with a final payment when the chanote is transferred.

There are thousands of agents in Pattaya who will be happy to get commission for renting out your property. The trick will be finding a suitable tenant and making sure that the agent doesn't rip you off by telling you that the place isn't let when it really is. This happens often here.

Totally agree with you KittenKong. I even feel he has paid too much for this condo as I have seen prices falling like hell.

i think i paid a rather fair price (for both parties) for those i found (THB 65,000/m²), location between 2nd and 3rd road, building 5½ years old, allocated space in basement garage, keycard access to building and rooms.

Based on this the OP should be looking to get a maximum of 2.2MB for his unit if it were in farang name, or less as it's in Thai/company name. In fact without allocated parking I would say it's worth less than that.

Based on this the OP should be looking to get a maximum of 2.2MB for his unit if it were in farang name, or less as it's in Thai/company name. In fact without allocated parking I would say it's worth less than that.

each unit was THB 1.7mm and the value depends on the individual perspective of the buyer. i have a couple of other friends for whom i am searching units of less than THB 1mm. they are not interested what the buildings looks like, they are not interested what the units look like and whether they can rent it out. all they are interested in is a monthly electricity bill in their name and that is only issued in the name of the owner, not the tenant.

don't ask me why but think hard and perhaps you discover their reasons on your own laugh.png

each unit was THB 1.7mm and the value depends on the individual perspective of the buyer. i have a couple of other friends for whom i am searching units of less than THB 1mm. they are not interested what the buildings looks like, they are not interested what the units look like and whether they can rent it out. all they are interested in is a monthly electricity bill in their name and that is only issued in the name of the owner, not the tenant.

don't ask me why but think hard and perhaps you discover their reasons on your own

Not hard to work that one out.

But why spend so much? There are plenty of sub-1MB units available here that are very suitable for people who dont actually want to live in the units and who are just buying a mailing address.

By the way, my electricity bill (billed directly by the PEA and paid by direct debit from my Thai bank account) was in my name back when I was a tenant. This lasted several years and when I finally bought the unit I didnt need to change anything at all.

don't ask me why but think hard and perhaps you discover their reasons on your own

But why spend so much? There are plenty of sub-1MB units available here that are very suitable for people who dont actually want to live in the units and who are just buying a mailing address.

By the way, my electricity bill (billed directly by the PEA and paid by direct debit from my Thai bank account) was in my name back when I was a tenant. This lasted several years and when I finally bought the unit I didnt need to change anything at all.

the case of the units i bought was not for the electricity bills but my friend insisted on some diversification of his assets.

so far i have just found one twelfth of a dozen out of the "plenty" units available and i will sign a pre-contract and make a down payment coming thursday. price is THB 700k for 32m². still quite expensive for a monthly electric bill.

the problem is to find foreign ownership and even if you have success than the owner is somewhere and it takes weeks or even months to contact him.

addendum: i find a THB 8.8% yield before Thai taxes not bad in comparison to the interest paid on local fixed deposits.

Edited by Naam

If you want to buy sub 800K for purposes other than live, I can sell you a few. Private message me please.

the case of the units i bought was not for the electricity bills but my friend insisted on some diversification of his assets.

so far i have just found one twelfth of a dozen out of the "plenty" units available and i will sign a pre-contract and make a down payment coming thursday. price is THB 700k for 32m². still quite expensive for a monthly electric bill.

the problem is to find foreign ownership and even if you have success than the owner is somewhere and it takes weeks or even months to contact him.

addendum: i find a THB 8.8% yield before Thai taxes not bad in comparison to the interest paid on local fixed deposits.

If you want to buy sub 800,000 condos, private message me please. I can sell you a few !

If you want to buy sub 800,000 condos, private message me please. I can sell you a few !

Ah. That's not quite the 65kB/sqm originally mentioned.

I take it you have looked at Majestic and Nirun? There is also a big building at the back of Thepprasit night market that might be suitable. Cant remember the name. Very few foreigners live there so farang quota should be no problem. I have a Thai friend who bought there for under 800K.