'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

All this nonsense he broke the law use nominee to try and get over law that no orang can own land so made his own grave It could happen to made but difference is I freely gave it all to my This wife in her name and 30+ years later she has not yet thrown me on rubbish. For 30+ years I've heard friends say I'm stupid and my reply is if you cant trust your wife dont marry. Happens west all time as well so stop moaning. So many posts bitter men who had no brain except one between their legs. Pathetic people IMO. And yes if you dont like it here please leave we wont need or want you.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know a guy who build a house. his friends told him he can not own land. he didn't care, he was not listening , he said he know how to do it (Grey area of the law)and a lady was taking care of everything. To me, it sounded strange. I asked him why he didn't buy a condo instead. he said he wanted a big house to invite his farang friends and retire in his house.

2 years later I see him, and he said "I have been scammed "

you think he would have learned? he told me recently that there is a way to own land in Thailand and if he had the money he would buy a house....again...!

The problem being stupid people don't know they are stupid, and you can't tell them either.

Unfortunately... stupidity isn't cripplingly painful

In this day and age, it seems to be rewarded...

All this nonsense he broke the law use nominee to try and get over law that no orang can own land so made his own grave It could happen to made but difference is I freely gave it all to my This wife in her name and 30+ years later she has not yet thrown me on rubbish. For 30+ years I've heard friends say I'm stupid and my reply is if you cant trust your wife dont marry. Happens west all time as well so stop moaning. So many posts bitter men who had no brain except one between their legs. Pathetic people IMO. And yes if you dont like it here please leave we wont need or want you.

Or you were lucky........ Plenty of farangs left broke by an evil

Thai wife. But I guess those guys are lucky, at least they are

still alive.. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

It is worth remembering that it's not just in Thailand that wives take their husbands to the cleaners.

In New Zealand, a poor Philipino girl married a mega millionaire and had children with him ( sounding similar to what goes on in LOS ), but when it started to go bad for him she ran off and is demanding 20 million $ from his estate ( under NZ law a wife is entitled to half the husband's money and the marital house if they have young children, even if she did NOTHING to make it, and only been married a few years ). Not bad money for a poor girl with nothing except good bone structure ( of course she claims that she isn't a gold digger ). If interested, google Kim Dot Com.

It is worth remembering that it's not just in Thailand that wives take their husbands to the cleaners.

In New Zealand, a poor Philipino girl married a mega millionaire and had children with him ( sounding similar to what goes on in LOS ), but when it started to go bad for him she ran off and is demanding 20 million $ from his estate ( under NZ law a wife is entitled to half the husband's money and the marital house if they have young children, even if she did NOTHING to make it, and only been married a few years ). Not bad money for a poor girl with nothing except good bone structure ( of course she claims that she isn't a gold digger ). If interested, google Kim Dot Com.

Perhaps a little harsh on his wife as the reason for his marriage break up has never been disclosed.

In NZ law she is entitled to 50% of his assets and that is the case in many other countries.

In addition, so far as is known, she never tried to rip him off or misappropriate his assets, so the comparison is not valid.

Not really a good comparison to the OP's original subject, in my opinion more like the reverse, "defrauding wife by criminal in NZ". So nothing like Thailand at all. Quite possibly squirreled away his assets in Trusts which means she could end up with 50% of sweet FA.

Other Filipino workers weren't very lucky forced to take pay cuts at $5 per hour working 16 hours a day and being owed multi $K's in back wages while some bank accounts frozen by the courts.

I feel really sorry for him as he can still spend $24 M on a video of himself while crying poverty.

Kim Dotcom - Good Life - YouTube

Perhaps a little harsh on his wife as the reason for his marriage break up has never been disclosed.

In NZ law she is entitled to 50% of his assets and that is the case in many other countries.

In addition, so far as is known, she never tried to rip him off or misappropriate his assets, so the comparison is not valid.

The reasons for the breakup HAVE been discussed, by HER in a Woman's Day article. She just wanted some "space" or some such apparently. According to her own words, he gave her everything and never harmed or abused her. So much for promising to never part wedding vows.

The reason I gave the post in the first place was to point out that it's not just in LOS that women can get the man's money and house for nothing other than being married to him. The only difference is that in western countries the government is in on it too. I don't think pre nup agreements are legal in NZ.

Are you not aware that it is illegal for a farang to buy property in the wife's name? If she did not buy the property with her own money, it is regarded as a farang trying to circumvent Thai property law. So, no difference in the eyes of Thai law between you and him had you done it now.

Not that I'd expect any problem for you as you did it so long ago, but you can't do that now.

The reasons for the breakup HAVE been discussed, by HER in a Woman's Day article. She just wanted some "space" or some such apparently. According to her own words, he gave her everything and never harmed or abused her. So much for promising to never part wedding vows.

The reason I gave the post in the first place was to point out that it's not just in LOS that women can get the man's money and house for nothing other than being married to him. The only difference is that in western countries the government is in on it too. I don't think pre nup agreements are legal in NZ.

Prenups are legal in NZ and so are Trusts. Both are commonly used to protect assets.It's nuts to think Kim Dot Com hasn't done the same.

Not really a good comparison to the OP's original subject, in my opinion more like the reverse, "defrauding wife by criminal in NZ". So nothing like Thailand at all. Quite possibly squirreled away his assets in Trusts which means she could end up with 50% of sweet FA.

Other Filipino workers weren't very lucky forced to take pay cuts at $5 per hour working 16 hours a day and being owed multi $K's in back wages while some bank accounts frozen by the courts.

I feel really sorry for him as he can still spend $24 M on a video of himself while crying poverty.

You really need to do some research before coming on here and talking about trusts and such. The 20 million she is claiming is half of the 40 million seized by the US. She may get nothing, but that would be down to the US and not him.

I wish people didn't get so worked up over an individual example, as it was just that, AN EXAMPLE of how wives and getting money, houses doesn't just happen in LOS. Thousands of other examples if you want to look them up.

Prenups are legal in NZ and so are Trusts. Both are commonly used to protect assets.It's nuts to think Kim Dot Com hasn't done the same.

Touche. I know that they didn't use to be legal and didn't check to see if that was still the case, so my bad.

In her Woman's Day article she mentioned nothing about pre nups and the impression I got was that she could have anything she wanted. Bought property with his money.

However, this is now way off topic, so I'll let it lie there, but at least we know it does go on everywhere, not just in LOS.

You really need to do some research before coming on here and talking about trusts and such. The 20 million she is claiming is half of the 40 million seized by the US. She may get nothing, but that would be down to the US and not him.

I wish people didn't get so worked up over an individual example, as it was just that, AN EXAMPLE of how wives and getting money, houses doesn't just happen in LOS. Thousands of other examples if you want to look them up.

You really need to calm down. I never denied that wives get money unfairly in Thailand or any other country. Also conversely a woman friend of mine was ripped off by a boyfriend in NZ who was taking her to court on the very law you talk about. They settled out of court for several thousand, after living off her (her house) rent free for years. She didn't have a prenup or a Trust.

As for the example you gave in Kim.Com, you admit yourself that she may get nothing, yet say not bad money for a girl with only good bone structure in your introduction as if it's a foregone conclusion. Maybe you should wait for the outcome before coming on here and sensationalizing a poor example.

Touche. I know that they didn't use to be legal and didn't check to see if that was still the case, so my bad.

In her Woman's Day article she mentioned nothing about pre nups and the impression I got was that she could have anything she wanted. Bought property with his money.

However, this is now way off topic, so I'll let it lie there, but at least we know it does go on everywhere, not just in LOS.

Didn't see your last post till now. Agree will leave it at that for now. Cheers buddy

As is also the case in Thailand under existing marriage laws. Any assets acquired after marriage is shared 50/50 between both partners upon separation. I'm not sure if cash in the bank counts towards assets in Thailand (unless of course it's a joint account).

It still amazes me to see people referring to expat guys as "lucky" if they are in a relationship where their Thai wife has not left them broke or killed them, this has to be right up there as one of the most ridiculous statements to be made on TV.

In my 15 years of living in Thailand I have never met a farang who has been cheated by their wife. Now before anyone says I don't get out much this is not the case, I live and work in just about every tourist area in Thailand where there is a heavy expat presence, I have dozens of friends who are married to Thais, some still live in Thailand, some are back in their home countries, some living in neighboring counties such as Hong King, Singapore etc, they also have dozens of friends the same, I do all the sinful things such as frequenting girly bars where I am likely to meet farangs seeking the dream, yet I am still waiting to meet that "unlucky" farang guy.

Claiming a farang guy is "lucky" for not being scammed by his Thai wife is like saying a farang lady is lucky to go to Thailand on holiday without getting raped by a tuk tuk driver. Totally ridiculous and goes way beyond your typical stereotyping.

Quote: "All this nonsense he broke the law use nominee to try and get over law that no orang can own land so made his own grave".

This from a previous post of mine:

I will stress once again that the OP stated, as far as I am aware, that he already had an existing business and the property was bought through this business, which is legal– – provided the company structure was legal of course.

A company can have Thai directors and shareholders and provided they have invested in the company and are receiving returns on their investment and so on, then all is fine. What is not legal is to set up a company solely for the purposes of property ownership, using Thai nominees who do not contribute anything to the company and whose names are used purely for the purposes of transferring the majority shareholding over to the farang, which is what the government now seems to be cracking down on, although it has supposedly "cracked down" on this practice many times before.

If the OP's company was legit, then he was a victim of FRAUD and not because he did anything wrong, but because he was the victim of a criminal act, just the same as someone could have done with his motor vehicle or anything for that matter, because once signatures are forged and people in high places come into the equation, there is no justice for folks like him (or us for that matter).

It seems he was "taken to the cleaners" by his wife, her friends and family, money lenders and lawyers (and the BIB?) so he stood/stands no chance of redress here in Thailand, famous for its endemic corruption.

If Ian Vance's company had his wife as a Thai shareholder there is nothing illegal about this, the wife and mother of his children is hardly a nominee.

This thread is about the fraudulent activities involved in order to steal the property from the company, it's not about the actual company set up, which was totally legitimate.

It still amazes me to see people referring to expat guys as "lucky" if they are in a relationship where their Thai wife has not left them broke or killed them, this has to be right up there as one of the most ridiculous statements to be made on TV.

In my 15 years of living in Thailand I have never met a farang who has been cheated by their wife. Now before anyone says I don't get out much this is not the case, I live and work in just about every tourist area in Thailand where there is a heavy expat presence, I have dozens of friends who are married to Thais, some still live in Thailand, some are back in their home countries, some living in neighboring counties such as Hong King, Singapore etc, they also have dozens of friends the same, I do all the sinful things such as frequenting girly bars where I am likely to meet farangs seeking the dream, yet I am still waiting to meet that "unlucky" farang guy.

Claiming a farang guy is "lucky" for not being scammed by his Thai wife is like saying a farang lady is lucky to go to Thailand on holiday without getting raped by a tuk tuk driver. Totally ridiculous and goes way beyond your typical stereotyping.

While that may be true, it does happen. What right thinking person does not take out travel insurance because they do not know personally anyone that needed it?

I don't get why, in LOS, where it is so easy to rent whatever you want, people take the chance in the first place- peace of mind and all that. If they really want a place of their own, gift the money to their wife to buy it, if they trust her. Seems there are a lot of people want their cake and to eat it as well.

IMO, for what it's worth, if you HAVE to own property with no potential hassles, stay in your own country. If you HAVE to do so in LOS, then accept it's a gamble- do you feel lucky?

When a marriage goes bad, majority of the wives try to take their husbands to the cleaners, regardless of their nationality!

So...?

I have had three Thai girl friends so far. One wanted me to pay for her son's school and I could see her "uncle" in the background while she got drunk and I was away and video chatting with her, one wanted me to buy her mother's farm, and another finally told me she was in debt to Thai mafia and if she diddnt pay up they would kill her. All times I simply moved on. Especially that last one, I actually made myself disappear very fast. I'm not to old, bald or fat. Marrying a Thai woman is not a good idea, doing business with one even worse. I know there are good ones out there, but I'm not a mind reader so I'll be a permenant renter with an escape hatch constantly prepared.

I have had three Thai girl friends so far. One wanted me to pay for her son's school and I could see her "uncle" in the background while she got drunk and I was away and video chatting with her, one wanted me to buy her mother's farm, and another finally told me she was in debt to Thai mafia and if she diddnt pay up they would kill her. All times I simply moved on. Especially that last one, I actually made myself disappear very fast. I'm not to old, bald or fat. Marrying a Thai woman is not a good idea, doing business with one even worse. I know there are good ones out there, but I'm not a mind reader so I'll be a permenant renter with an escape hatch constantly prepared.

Did you actually meet any of these girlfriends ? Just wondering..

Good moves, Homie.

http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/content/151873

Thais warned not to act as nominees of alien businessmen

2201008-wpcf_728x409.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Thai nationals have been warned not to act as nominees of alien businessmen operating in tourism and real estate businesses or they may face a maximum three-year imprisonment and a fine of between 100,000 and one million baht, said Ms Pongphan Jianviriyaphan, director-general of Business Development Department, on Monday.

She disclosed that officials from the department conducted a field inspection of tourism business and other businesses susceptible to alien control via the use of Thai nominees in Phuket and Koh Samui last year.

Two cases of alien business with Thai nationals acting as their nominees were found –one involving car rental service and another in retailing business – and the cases were under intensive investigation, she said.

As for this year, Ms Pongphan said the Department of Special Investigation, the Immigration Bureau and the Department of Tourism had joined the Business Development Department to investigate this illegal business in Chiang Rai and Chiang Mai as the two priority targets.

Out of 44 business operators examined, two were found to have breached the law regarding alien business – one engaged in tourism business and the other in real estate business.

She warned Thais not to act as alien businessmen’s nominees in setting up businesses in Thailand or they may face heavy fines and imprisonment.

"Thai nationals have been warned not to act as nominees of alien businessmen operating in tourism and real estate businesses or they may face a maximum three-year imprisonment and a fine of between 100,000 and one million baht, said Ms Pongphan Jianviriyaphan, director-general of Business Development Department, on Monday".

AND

"She warned Thais not to act as alien businessmen’s nominees in setting up businesses in Thailand or they may face heavy fines and imprisonment".

Whilst I suspect that this is primarily aimed at Thai nominees in respect of businesses that are actually operating, it surely follows that any registered business is up for scrutiny including those that don't actually do anything other than own land/houses. In fact a couple of years ago it was stated that Thai "shareholders" of companies with an alien shareholding would have to show proof of their investment in that company, otherwise face large fines.

Writing on the wall or simply to be ignored by farangs...........??

Stop having bargirls as girlfriends.....problem solved.

Hahah well yes I was warned that if they know English very well to be wary. One convinced me that she learned English from

A university but she also knew Chinese pretty well.... And some Russian. I was impressed, but I don't think she got those skills from studying books even if I pretended to myself at first that I believed her. :( to bad. I liked her. But I'm not buying her mothers farm. There were a couple of other red flags as well. oh well...plenty of fish in the sea I suppose.

Hahah well yes I was warned that if they know English very well to be wary. One convinced me that she learned English from

A university but she also knew Chinese pretty well.... And some Russian. I was impressed, but I don't think she got those skills from studying books even if I pretended to myself at first that I believed her. sad.png to bad. I liked her. But I'm not buying her mothers farm. There were a couple of other red flags as well. oh well...plenty of fish in the sea I suppose.

Was She quite good at playing Connect 4 ?

Archived