'Defrauded by my wife and criminals in Thailand' - BBC special report

Jonathan Fairfield

I just made it through the first 3 pages and I already had enough of TV's finest know-it-all's and professional victim- blamers!

I am so glad for you, that you are handsome like hell and made everything in your life A- all- right!

You are the salt of the earth and we are all the dust beneath your feet!

...or to quote "Guardians of the Galaxy": "What a bunch of a..holes!"

You need to get off your high horse and accept the fact that you joined the forum.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just made it through the first 3 pages and I already had enough of TV's finest know-it-all's and professional victim- blamers!

I am so glad for you, that you are handsome like hell and made everything in your life A- all- right!

You need to get off your high horse and accept the fact that you joined the forum.

That is why I posted...

I have one 20 years younger than me.

I ain't hansum, my personality is lacking, I'm overweight, but I have money.

She's in it for the money, she had children with me for the money, she stays with me for the money.

If ever she got her hands on enough money, she wouldn't want me, and I'd be out.

I haven't seen anyone on this thread claiming to be hansum as hell!

But there are plenty of us with money, and have enough sense to keep our money away from them.

Dark stories! In general, some people are gullible or naive . . . Only loving the flesh and not the soul. How many times and a person loose their nest egg or savings.

It attempt to life a fantasy life, can result in disaster and hardship. Even Thai women fall victim to dishonest Thai and farang husbands. Marriage within your socioeconomic group would provide a greater change for a successful.

Generally speaking this is true but there will be some here that married someone half their age and it is a loving and successful marriage and others who married from the same age and socioeconomic group and it was a disaster. Generalizations are OK but specifics can be different

"...there will be some here that married someone half their age and it is a loving and successful marriage..."

Er, I don't buy that even in specific cases. Don't tell me it's loving and successful. As long as there's an income stream its perceived to be successful.

Love will have bugger all to do with it. At best, companionship.

i bet all these successes involving big age differences are based on money. WE not fools! the men just accept it.

Getting a little bit off the main topic here, this especially if his wife, lawyer and a few others have (supposedly) sought to conspire to take his money and property, but here goes with a theory I have had for many years of living here...........

A relationship here, whether it be girlfriend/boyfriend/companion/wife should really be viewed as a bit of a "rental contract" whereby the guy concerned rents the woman (easier to stay with man/woman scenarios) because he wants companionship, care, attention and sex, whereas the woman wants money and her family to be taken care of as well as an income.

On many occasions the farang can "fall in love" with the Thai woman whereas I am very sure that from the Thai women's perspective it is a "respect" for the guy because he is taking care of her/family and not what we perceive to be love. Now if the farang kept reminding himself that, "this is only a rental contract" it might bring him back down to earth/reality.

Also of course some Thai women can really play the "long game", This especially if they are getting fairly well looked after in the relationship until such time as they get what they want. I remember the Thai girlfriend (village wife) of nine years of a very good friend of mine, excitedly exclaiming to a friend hours after his cremation that, "I am rich"...........that really did shock me.

She's in it for the money, she had children with me for the money, she stays with me for the money.

If ever she got her hands on enough money, she wouldn't want me, and I'd be out.

But there are plenty of us with money, and have enough sense to keep our money away from them.

Haha! Yes you did. You have the body of Adonis the Greek god and that's why your wife is still with you! I don't want to backtrack a kilometer but I'm sure that was on this thread. Nevertheless you got overweight quickly...

Had the same thing happen to me. Two children.married 15 years. Trumped up some charges. Got me arrested and put in prison for nothing. Couldn't bail out because lawyers kept stealing the bail money. While she and her family stole and sold everything I owned. That's highly illegal in any country. But no arrests yet....

I wonder what her side of the story is ? Maybe you drink too much or you slept around. Nobody plays a game for 15 years.

It's called the long game..it's well known..shouldn't be a surprise..

Getting a little bit off the main topic here, this especially if his wife, lawyer and a few others have (supposedly) sought to conspire to take his money and property, but here goes with a theory I have had for many years of living here...........

A relationship here, whether it be girlfriend/boyfriend/companion/wife should really be viewed as a bit of a "rental contract" whereby the guy concerned rents the woman (easier to stay with man/woman scenarios) because he wants companionship, care, attention and sex, whereas the woman wants money and her family to be taken care of as well as an income.

On many occasions the farang can "fall in love" with the Thai woman whereas I am very sure that from the Thai women's perspective it is a "respect" for the guy because he is taking care of her/family and not what we perceive to be love. Now if the farang kept reminding himself that, "this is only a rental contract" it might bring him back down to earth/reality.

Also of course some Thai women can really play the "long game", This especially if they are getting fairly well looked after in the relationship until such time as they get what they want. I remember the Thai girlfriend (village wife) of nine years of a very good friend of mine, excitedly exclaiming to a friend hours after his cremation that, "I am rich"...........that really did shock me.

Awhile back wasn't there a few articles at Andrew Drummond site on farang getting knock off like ten pin bowling? All for the sake of money. So better be more valuable alive then dead,

Hahaha, calling it the way it is...and giving me a damn good laugh too.

If your personality is anything like the way you write I think she'd have to have some love for you Jo.

Even this fools advice is bad. "Don't retire in Thailand". That's just him and his butthurt. People with no street sense like him shouldn't. Including a lot of guys on this board who talk about how their girl is different because they have been together for years and have children blah blah. All fools.

Rent, don't buy. If you do buy don't fall for the incorporation schemes. Do it right with a condo in foreign name. Also don't invest any money you are not prepared to lose.

One does not rent or buy children

you care for them

You need to work on your reading comprehension. However, since you mentioned it, quite easy to rent more than just a condo in Thailand and that is also usually a better option. Kids have NOTHING to do with it. That is a whole other subject.

Stop playing victim. You knew going in the inconsistentcies in legal recourse should things go wrong. Well they went wrong and you are living what you already knew.

The thing is most non nationals are now aware of the lack of law, justice, logic indeed blatant racism in the judicial system in Phuket. 10 years ago it was not apparent because people like Ian did not come out and bare their souls to be ridiculed when they should be applauded and supported. I don't think it was easy for him to go public but he hopefully will have prevented others from falling into the same trap. How many of those mightier than thou negative Thaivisa keyboard warriors have bank accounts or cars in Thailand because you can just as easily loose your car and the money in your bank account just like like Ian and have no idea until it is too late. What do you see at the start and finish of the Thaivisa newsletter every day? Houses for sale. How are Phuket newspapers mostly funded? Property advertising. The purchasing of property in Phuket is often promoted by the Governor and his administration and supported by the legal profession. The foreign currency used to purchase property in Thailand is converted to Thai Baht Thailand through the Bank of Thailand with the detail that the fund transfer is for the purchase of property. So is the legal profession and Bank of Thailand complicit in the fraud? If the purchase of property is illegal then the Bank of Thailand, legal profession and courts should make a clear statement that it is. Quite a few people I know are, as a result of this and other recent publicity cutting and running from Phuket. I think everybody should get behind Ian and support him and not slaughter the messenger. Shocking things have been said here about Ian with malice and little forethought. Cheap shots. He is already in a dark place and we should be supporting him. The man is clearly not a fool and did not put all his eggs in the one basket as many suggested because he has been fighting the corruption in Phuket and existing here for 5 years. Thaivisa would be all the better for each and every one of us if we supported each other.

I first visited Thailand in April 2000 fell in love with the country but even back then was warned about buying any property in Phuket .Was told about doggy practises to form companies and buy land and told sooner or later people would lose the property they bought. Heard that good Thai kids were given land in hills to grow crops build home but bad kids were given the beach land, worthless for growing. Who figured that farangs would want to come and spend big money for sand. Bad kids still dealing in Phuket.I used a foreign owned lawfirm with Thai lawyers working for them to buy property in Rayong, Pattaya BKK as they said "Thai lawyers look out for Thai " And for me saying not to put all your eggs in one basket the video and article make him out to be homeless and moving around Thailand in rented places trying to sue to get his money back because he doesm't have much money anymore. Does that not fit the expression putting all your eggs in one basket? so that when something goes wrong your left in a bad way?

As for all the adds selling properties around Phuket and Thailand there is no problem with that, no false advertising that your saying people are being given false info. The property is available for sale. You or Ian could have put family home in kids name----no one could have sold/leined house untill the child was 20. Also could put house in own name with seperated deed from the land. Also could have written as a loan to wife to be paid back in XXX amount of time with house/land as collateral/ If registeradat land court they will force selling of land if loan not paid back. Many ways to protext oneself IF you research.

Even this fools advice is bad. "Don't retire in Thailand". That's just him and his butthurt. People with no street sense like him shouldn't. Including a lot of guys on this board who talk about how their girl is different because they have been together for years and have children blah blah. All fools.

Rent, don't buy. If you do buy don't fall for the incorporation schemes. Do it right with a condo in foreign name. Also don't invest any money you are not prepared to lose.

One does not rent or buy children

you care for them

You need to work on your reading comprehension. However, since you mentioned it, quite easy to rent more than just a condo in Thailand and that is also usually a better option. Kids have NOTHING to do with it. That is a whole other subject.

Wrong, Ian Rance has children, his children have had their future stolen from them. I would say kids has a lot to do with this thread.

Stop playing victim. You knew going in the inconsistentcies in legal recourse should things go wrong. Well they went wrong and you are living what you already knew.

The thing is most non nationals are now aware of the lack of law, justice, logic indeed blatant racism in the judicial system in Phuket. 10 years ago it was not apparent because people like Ian did not come out and bare their souls to be ridiculed when they should be applauded and supported. I don't think it was easy for him to go public but he hopefully will have prevented others from falling into the same trap. How many of those mightier than thou negative Thaivisa keyboard warriors have bank accounts or cars in Thailand because you can just as easily loose your car and the money in your bank account just like like Ian and have no idea until it is too late. What do you see at the start and finish of the Thaivisa newsletter every day? Houses for sale. How are Phuket newspapers mostly funded? Property advertising. The purchasing of property in Phuket is often promoted by the Governor and his administration and supported by the legal profession. The foreign currency used to purchase property in Thailand is converted to Thai Baht Thailand through the Bank of Thailand with the detail that the fund transfer is for the purchase of property. So is the legal profession and Bank of Thailand complicit in the fraud? If the purchase of property is illegal then the Bank of Thailand, legal profession and courts should make a clear statement that it is. Quite a few people I know are, as a result of this and other recent publicity cutting and running from Phuket. I think everybody should get behind Ian and support him and not slaughter the messenger. Shocking things have been said here about Ian with malice and little forethought. Cheap shots. He is already in a dark place and we should be supporting him. The man is clearly not a fool and did not put all his eggs in the one basket as many suggested because he has been fighting the corruption in Phuket and existing here for 5 years. Thaivisa would be all the better for each and every one of us if we supported each other.

I first visited Thailand in April 2000 fell in love with the country but even back then was warned about buying any property in Phuket .Was told about doggy practises to form companies and buy land and told sooner or later people would lose the property they bought. Heard that good Thai kids were given land in hills to grow crops build home but bad kids were given the beach land, worthless for growing. Who figured that farangs would want to come and spend big money for sand. Bad kids still dealing in Phuket.I used a foreign owned lawfirm with Thai lawyers working for them to buy property in Rayong, Pattaya BKK as they said "Thai lawyers look out for Thai " And for me saying not to put all your eggs in one basket the video and article make him out to be homeless and moving around Thailand in rented places trying to sue to get his money back because he doesm't have much money anymore. Does that not fit the expression putting all your eggs in one basket? so that when something goes wrong your left in a bad way?

As for all the adds selling properties around Phuket and Thailand there is no problem with that, no false advertising that your saying people are being given false info. The property is available for sale. You or Ian could have put family home in kids name----no one could have sold/leined house untill the child was 20. Also could put house in own name with seperated deed from the land. Also could have written as a loan to wife to be paid back in XXX amount of time with house/land as collateral/ If registeradat land court they will force selling of land if loan not paid back. Many ways to protext oneself IF you research.

If I have followed this case correctly and understood it fully, I think perhaps some people are missing the point here, it's not what he COULD have done that is the problem, it is what happened to him when he followed the law and the process as laid out in Thai law.

His signature was forged, which is a criminal act and no matter what else is said about the whole affair, he has been the victim of a crime which should have been sorted out by the Thai legal system.

The fact that he seems to have come up against what would appear to be a "conspiracy to defraud him" when seeking justice, exacerbates the problem even further.

There are probably many thousands of companies set up legally by farangs here and none of which have had this particular problem, however when a criminal gang with contacts in high places sets out to defraud you, things can become extremely difficult to remedy/rectify.

So in effect he was the victim of fraud and that can happen to anybody here, in any circumstances, any time, anywhere and any place, much the same as it can in other countries.

So he loses a shit load of money, advises people not to retire here, then re-marries! crazy.gif

For purely practical reasons, try bringing up kids as a lone parent!. He probably has no problems either with getting his new wife entry clearance to the UK where he will no doubt settle and his kids get a free education.....?

If can prove an income of £22000 a year or £65,000 in cash Sets he'll be fine. Otherwise. ...

So he loses a shit load of money, advises people not to retire here, then re-marries! crazy.gif

For purely practical reasons, try bringing up kids as a lone parent!. He probably has no problems either with getting his new wife entry clearance to the UK where he will no doubt settle and his kids get a free education.....?

If can prove an income of £22000 a year or an unencumbered balance of £65,000 in cash he'll be fine. Otherwise. ...

If I have followed this case correctly and understood it fully, I think perhaps some people are missing the point here, it's not what he COULD have done that is the problem, it is what happened to him when he followed the law and the process as laid out in Thai law.

His signature was forged, which is a criminal act and no matter what else is said about the whole affair, he has been the victim of a crime which should have been sorted out by the Thai legal system.

The fact that he seems to have come up against what would appear to be a "conspiracy to defraud him" when seeking justice, exacerbates the problem even further.

There are probably many thousands of companies set up legally by farangs here and none of which have had this particular problem, however when a criminal gang with contacts in high places sets out to defraud you, things can become extremely difficult to remedy/rectify.

So in effect he was the victim of fraud and that can happen to anybody here, in any circumstances, any time, anywhere and any place, much the same as it can in other countries.

Xylophone, you're right of course, BUT I rather think that if a UK national defrauded a Thai person in the UK (or USA or Europe), the Thai person would have some legal recourse and their nationality wouldn't be an issue.

In other words, the law of the land is (generally) applied uniformly without discrimination as to race.

THAT unbiased application of the law is what's apparently lacking in this case, and from all that I've seen, heard and read is the case all too often in Thailand.

Having said that, without getting too offtopic.gif there are horror stories of foreigners buying property in Spain too.

I think " invest" is the wrong word. If you have children just buy the house in the wife's name and be done with it.

well said

3 kids 3 houses

best thing a father can do

Sarcasm? If you have children with a woman of ill repute like Ian (and apparently some TV posters) then what good is the house (or 3) when a selfish woman like this is going to pi$$ it away.

Reason number 182 to marry someone close to your age whose parents are not dependant on hitting a farang gold mine.

does not matter age difference. If you marry most girls here or older women in 90% of cases their number one priority is their parents if alive. ITs in culture. A few will put their marriage before their parents and some parents dont expect a lot of help and are happy with a little help if they need it. Problem is not age difference its greed and that has nothing to do with age gap.

This is what you need to remember when you come here to live which is nothing like vacationing here. This culture is 180 opposite to yours. Here family comes first and I mean first. What you think is love is really just respect of your ability to provide for her and her family. You will have her respect as long as you remember this. If you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets. She will do this to insure she can continue to live in the manner she has grown accustomed to. When she decides to leave you there will be no indicators. When she is ready to leave you will be blindsided. Take a look at some of the so called happily married foreigners who have that passive subdued demeanor. That is the face of a man that is at the mercy of a woman that can take everything he has and that which is signed in her name. You can't win for the police, the laws and a nation of Thais stand against you. Keep your head and a stash..

cheesy.gif

Thanks for the laugh. You need to qualify what you say, as in "in SOME cases if you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets".

My wife knew before she married me the family were getting zip from me, and she knows I don't have any "assets" that she can defraud from me.

She works to give her own money to the family, not mine.

If she wants to leave me, that could happen regardless of how much I gave her, and I really don't want to take a washing machine and the microwave with me if I do have to leave.

She has nothing worth anything "signed in her name", which is what I and many on here are saying. Don't buy property, don't buy a car, don't have joint bank accounts etc etc.

That is the secret to peace of mind when marrying a Thai woman.

You sound as if you don't have any money anyway.

what a sad pathetic attitude he has. My This wife (30 years younger) has had all in her name or in joint accounts for for last 20 years even assets in UK and USA. Thats because 20 years ago i considered I might not last much longer and felt it just easier that way. Maybe I'm lucky or just not stupid. SO sad for those who are so jaded they cant trust their own shadows and i do feel a little pity for those poor sods who will probably never ever have a decent relationship or marriage.

Xylophone, you're right of course, BUT I rather think that if a UK national defrauded a Thai person in the UK (or USA or Europe), the Thai person would have some legal recourse and their nationality wouldn't be an issue.

In other words, the law of the land is (generally) applied uniformly without discrimination as to race.

THAT unbiased application of the law is what's apparently lacking in this case, and from all that I've seen, heard and read is the case all too often in Thailand.

Having said that, without getting too offtopic.gif there are horror stories of foreigners buying property in Spain too.

Agree with you on this...........I don't suppose that the guy concerned ever thought that the BIB, lawyers and legal system would conspire against him and that is the sad point about this case.

Been here in LOS 16 years and never married. Every farang ive known here has been married atleast once to a Thai ,lost alot of money including houses and all are now divorced. I'm the only one left living and working in Thailand.

What makes these mostly old ugly middleaged foreign men think that young Thai girls like them ? Theyre so gullible .

Its always about your money. Thais girls have said to me they like farang money.. They never say ( sincerely) that they like sleeping with farangs.

The only farang that i (think) is still married is an aussie who married here when he was about 23 and she the same. They live in OZ ,not here.

99% of girls who marry foreign men do so to escape poverty and support family including Thai BF or maybe even a sami.

Virtually every Thai girl on the internet sites is after an old retired foreign man 55-75 year olds for immediate marriage.

Suckers !.

Been here in LOS 16 years and never married. Every farang ive known here has been married atleast once to a Thai ,lost alot of money including houses and all are now divorced. I'm the only one left living and working in Thailand.

What makes these mostly old ugly middleaged foreign men think that young Thai girls like them ? Theyre so gullible .

Its always about your money. Thais girls have said to me they like farang money.. They never say ( sincerely) that they like sleeping with farangs.

The only farang that i (think) is still married is an aussie who married here when he was about 23 and she the same. They live in OZ ,not here.

99% of girls who marry foreign men do so to escape poverty and support family including Thai BF or maybe even a sami.

Virtually every Thai girl on the internet sites is after an old retired foreign man 55-75 year olds for immediate marriage.

Suckers !.

Visited Thailand once or twice a year for 13yrs,now lived here 15 yrs. True I've known a number of relationships where they have split up. Yet three Farang/Thai marriages come to mind that are still going strong. One were the Thai wife is slightly older than her husband,he has no money as such. One were she is about 18yrs younger than her husband, she seems to be the main bread winner. The third the wife ( who happens to be very good looking) is about 30 yrs younger than her husband, in this case he has a fairly decent pension,however she has just started to supplement this income by opening a market stall to help pay for their child's international school fees.

So you see there are exceptions, not all Thai women are like those who you have known.

This is what you need to remember when you come here to live which is nothing like vacationing here. This culture is 180 opposite to yours. Here family comes first and I mean first. What you think is love is really just respect of your ability to provide for her and her family. You will have her respect as long as you remember this. If you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets. She will do this to insure she can continue to live in the manner she has grown accustomed to. When she decides to leave you there will be no indicators. When she is ready to leave you will be blindsided. Take a look at some of the so called happily married foreigners who have that passive subdued demeanor. That is the face of a man that is at the mercy of a woman that can take everything he has and that which is signed in her name. You can't win for the police, the laws and a nation of Thais stand against you. Keep your head and a stash..

cheesy.gif

Thanks for the laugh. You need to qualify what you say, as in "in SOME cases if you fail or even if she perceives that your not willing to do this then there is no such thing as forgiveness only revenge and compensation. And she will initiate a rather elaborate scheme to defraud you of your assets".

My wife knew before she married me the family were getting zip from me, and she knows I don't have any "assets" that she can defraud from me.

She works to give her own money to the family, not mine.

If she wants to leave me, that could happen regardless of how much I gave her, and I really don't want to take a washing machine and the microwave with me if I do have to leave.

She has nothing worth anything "signed in her name", which is what I and many on here are saying. Don't buy property, don't buy a car, don't have joint bank accounts etc etc.

That is the secret to peace of mind when marrying a Thai woman.

You sound as if you don't have any money anyway.

what a sad pathetic attitude he has. My This wife (30 years younger) has had all in her name or in joint accounts for for last 20 years even assets in UK and USA. Thats because 20 years ago i considered I might not last much longer and felt it just easier that way. Maybe I'm lucky or just not stupid. SO sad for those who are so jaded they cant trust their own shadows and i do feel a little pity for those poor sods who will probably never ever have a decent relationship or marriage.

Well, you can thank the western hag from hell that took me for everything I had at age 35 for that attitude. She was the love of my life and I trusted her implicitly till the end, and then she wasn't and I didn't. Everything is OK till it's not.

Not about to trust any woman with everything I have again.

Ever heard of a will? They have them in LOS.

Look at him, look at her.

Everyone can see what's gonna happen ........ except him.

Question from interviewer, "What would you say to people that want to come here?"

Answer from me, "Don't marry a woman 1/3 your weight and 1/2 your age and expect her to love you or be trustworthy"

This isn't rocket science.

How the hell would you know what has happened it has not one thing to do with his age ok it can happen anywhere you are just one of the meany brian dead dick heads who thinks you no all about thailand

oooh.... bit touchy about your age are we mate?

criminal energy is not only in Thailand, happened around the World

Oh God, one of those ... gigglem.gifgigglem.gifgigglem.gif

You have one guess why this is called thaivisa and not worldvisa and oh, yes it happen everywhere just not at this frequency ...

Just because it isn't reported on thaivisa doesn't mean that this kind of criminal energy doesn't happen at the same frequency in other countries.

Numan nature is the same the world over.

Suckers !.

HOGWASH! Im 80 and my gf is40. She says the SEX is great. She said she never noticed the money i have. Her allowance is $2,000 . Ive got a lot more where that came from. So no worries.

Anybody posting that condos are automatically the "legal" way to own property is misleading you.

Here is a description of a Typical new condo development on Phuket, which I checked out the paperwork for:

Total units 300

Foreign freehold 149 units

Leasehold 151 units

Leases are Available as a 30 year lease from the developers land holding company, which is owned 51% by Thais.

There are options to renew lease for 2 further lease of 30 years each.

However, the Land Dept will only register the first 30 year lease

Now, think about it.

300 Farang end up " buying" into this development.

There's a 7% rental return guaranteed for you, as an investor, for 3 years.

Now stop and THINK.

The developer, the law firm, the sales property agency, no matter how big, how international, all say that it's legal.

However, they cannot protect you if You ever have to go to Phuket Court, to protect your rights over some dispute ( eg access dispute) .

Based on a Judgement by the Phuket Court last year, there is a danger that you lease, will be ruled to be void. Krap.

This is a fact.

The Phuket property market, for condos and apartments is going to blow up one of these days . Mark my words. One disgusted Farang married couple ( I know, this makes it off topic).

Archived