PM to present Sufficiency Economy at 70th UN General Assembly in New York

Lite Beer

BANGKOK, 19 September 2015 (NNT) - Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha has intended to present to the 70th annual United Nations General Assembly Thailand's commitment to promoting sustainable development under the King’s philosophy of sufficiency economy that was consistent with the UN’s post-2015 Development Agenda, according to the Deputy Spokesman of the Prime Minister’s Office Col Weerachon Sukondhapatipak.

Col Weerachon said that Gen Prayut, as head of the Thai government, will go to New York, the U.S, during Sep 23 - Oct 1 to attend the Assembly. The Prime Minister will demonstrate to the international community that the Thai government has transformed the King’s philosophy to national administrative policies entitled “Security, Prosperity and Sustainability”. This verifies that the philosophy is practical for national development.

Under the post-2015 Development Agenda, the UN has set a global goal to slash poverty, hunger, disease, intra-national and international inequality as well as sexual inequality within 2030. Moreover, the plan aims to build peaceful and justice society where people can have their rights protected. Children and women will be empowered whereas natural resources will be conserved.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-19 footer_n.gif

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, this will probably go down a treat at the UN, which adores hearing such nonsense spouted by the uber-elite of developing nations, imagining there is some connection between the narrative of SE and actual implementation on the ground. In fact, a few years ago the UNDP thoroughly endorsed SE in a celebratory publication which gave Thailand a star billing. This is why he has chosen it, or had it chosen for him by his minders, in the confident knowledge that it is unlikely that a single delegate present would dare to question or criticise Prayuth or the concept he is selling. After all, look who is credited with conceiving of the "philosophy" in the first place.......wink.png

Conversations behind closed doors or whispered in the corridors, might be a different matter altogether......whistling.gif

What's there to say?

I'm confident it will be sufficiently communicated using an economy of words.

Hey, time for a nap!

I think he is playing with fire. I doubt if he has the self control or ability to think on his feet that dealing with a free press with a such a sensitive issue will provoke. He thinks he is going to talk about 14th century crop rotation and the press wants to talk about pirates and press gangs and human trafficking.

He was only invited so those in attendance could have a laugh. It was either the pm or Bozo the clown. Bozo was booked elsewhere.

Thailand is one of only two nations from the area being considered for a seat on the security council - speaking of Bozo's.

He was only invited so those in attendance could have a laugh. It was either the pm or Bozo the clown. Bozo was booked elsewhere.

Thailand is one of only two nations from the area being considered for a seat on the security council - speaking of Bozo's.

Think the other is North Korea.

Think the other is North Korea.

Speaking of Bozo's the other is Kazakhstan.

The sufficiency economy is still "being explained" by successive governments after 4 decades. It must be crystal clear then!!

It seems to me it is NOT an economic policy, as it is sometimes touted as; it is NOT a method of governance, it is rather a philosophy.

It could best be described as a series of homilies. These pieces of advice surely are familiar in all languages. We have them in English.

"Be thankful for what you've got."

"Never a borrower or lender be."

"Take care of the pennies and the pounds will take care of themselves."

"Don't get above your station."

At worst, it could be described as paternalism and double standards, the ruling classes in Thailand being some of the most status and money obsessed people on earth.

The PM is going to be mightily disappointed when he finds out that his speech will not be televised live by every TV station in the US.

Nobody can compete with THE DONALD!

He would be fortunate not to meet Donald.

I think they could speak well together.....I guess Donald T. would also do well with Putin.

Ready for UN-Peace-UN-meeting to babble out about meaningless smokescreen as if the International community was born yesterday. cheesy.gifclap2.gifwai2.gif

I'm sure the subject matter and how well it's delivered will absolutely WOW the audience, that's presuming he actually attracts one. gigglem.gif

The PM is going to be mightily disappointed when he finds out that his speech will not be televised live by every TV station in the US.

Nobody can compete with THE DONALD!

He would be fortunate not to meet Donald.

I think they could speak well together.....I guess Donald T. would also do well with Putin.

Difference is that Putin has brains and is mature, while the Gen. is not more than a 9 years old kid.

I doubt the mega cooperations who decide the politics of the countries are interested in self sufficient politics. They want cheap slaves.....

I thought that's what it was about. The poor people should be self sufficient because the rich people are getting all the good assets, no?

I doubt the mega cooperations who decide the politics of the countries are interested in self sufficient politics. They want cheap slaves.....

I thought that's what it was about. The poor people should be self sufficient because the rich people are getting all the good assets, no?

The poor people should be self sufficient so they don't need to work for a minimum salary that is too much to die and too less to live in a factory.

If they are self sufficient they have a second choice. And if you are smart and hard-working you may even make good money. If you are silly and lazy you can still survive.

The poor people should be self sufficient so they don't need to work for a minimum salary that is too much to die and too less to live in a factory.

If they are self sufficient they have a second choice. And if you are smart and hard-working you may even make good money. If you are silly and lazy you can still survive.

I have read the literature on self sufficiency carefully and can find no reference to the suggestion it should not be applied universally, ie it applies to everybody not just to poor people.

In Thailand the self sufficiency philosophy has the highest importance given its origins and distinguished supporters of which our beloved leader is but one.

How proud we are that he will address the leaders of the world of this great philosophy which has served Thailand so well.Clearly there is much excitement in the capitals of the world at this impending speech.We at home must be grateful that the General so well understands what the world wants to hear from Thailand.

We know in Thailand that education is dysfunctional especially in rural areas therefore it falls to the educated urban population and "good" people generally to set an example.

Therefore we can assume that those who supported the suspension of democracy and "reform before elections" will be at the forefront of supporting General Prayuth in putting self sufficiency into their lives.

This explains why Bangkok is no longer packed with middle class Sino Thais in an orgy of consumerism, oblivious of cultural values, obsessed with shopping malls and expensive motor cars.

It's wonderful that the rich privileged people of Bangkok have taken self sufficiency into their hearts embracing a modest life style and compassion for all their fellow countrymen.

Oh wait........