Phuket beachgoers unfazed by the haze, environment office says medium hazard level

Lite Beer

Phuket beachgoers unfazed by the haze, environment office says medium hazard level

Eakkapop Thongtub

1442718909_1.jpg

PHUKET: Many tourists could be seen this morning out at the beach on Phuket's west coast despite the hazy, overcast weather and a Public Health advisory yesterday to avoid breathing the air.

Aimed primarily at elderly, young and those with heart and respiratory complications, the advisory by the Phuket Public Health Office (PPHO) issued yesterday was based on PM10 readings in Phuket of 125 (story here).

Nonetheless, a spokesperson from the “Monitor and Warning” section of the local Environment Office this morning said dust (smoke) particles in the atmosphere constituted a low to medium hazard level in Phuket and other affected Southern Thailand provinces, and that there is no immediate health risk.

They said that the situation had been exasperated by the Southwesterly monsoons, carrying smoke from Sumatra wild fires.

Nonetheless, those with respitory and heart conditions, in addition to the elderly and young, should avoid hazy conditions outside.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beachgoers-unfazed-by-the-haze-environment-office-says-medium-hazard-level-54180.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-20

There is a thick haze in Bangkok as well. Caused also by the last rain forests they burn down in Sumatra? From Bangna Trad Kilo 5 I can not see the skyline of Bangkok and not even the Airport (from our 30th floor apartment....)

The lousy air quality in Hong Kong drove me away from the place several years ago after just two months. Strange how expatriates don't give it a thought until it comes back to haunt their health and their children's years later. By then it's too late, hard to avoid though unless you you go elsewhere to work or live.

What haze? You can still see people in the water from the beach. Come to Chiang Mai in March or April and see what haze really is! Two months of it!!!

So true. I've lived in the South and I've lived in CM. In the South, maybe 10 or 12 fairly bad days a year. In the North, at least a couple months of really bad days. It must come as something of a shock to newly minted expats who know only the cool season.

The lousy air quality in Hong Kong drove me away from the place several years ago after just two months. Strange how expatriates don't give it a thought until it comes back to haunt their health and their children's years later. By then it's too late, hard to avoid though unless you you go elsewhere to work or live.

probably because most expats in thailand criticize everything about the western world and spend their time saying how great Thailand and Asia is

What haze? You can still see people in the water from the beach. Come to Chiang Mai in March or April and see what haze really is! Two months of it!!!

So true. I've lived in the South and I've lived in CM. In the South, maybe 10 or 12 fairly bad days a year. In the North, at least a couple months of really bad days. It must come as something of a shock to newly minted expats who know only the cool season.

In CM its SMOG not haze ... Haze is a atmospheric phenomenon while smog is pollution from e.g. burning garbage ... They like to call it haze so tourists dont know that will get sick from the smog ...