Thaksin tells Thailand's red shirt opposition - 'play dead'... for now

Lite Beer

Thaksin tells Thailand's red shirt opposition - 'play dead'... for now

UDON THANI, Thailand: From self-imposed exile, the influential leader of Thailand's rural "red shirt" opposition movement has delivered a simple message to followers chafing at the military junta's iron rule: lay low for now, don't panic, "play dead".

Billionaire former Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra, long-time political leader of the north's disenfranchised electorate, is watching events at home closely and urging patience from those who want to see his allies return to power.

"When I spoke to Thaksin, he told me to pretend to be dead a little longer," red shirt leader Kwanchai Praipana, a popular pro-Thaksin leader in the northeastern province of Udon Thani, told Reuters.

"He told me to ... wait until the next election. That will be the moment that we will win. The only question is whether an election will ever take place."

Kwanchai said he spoke to Thaksin a month ago, though he did not specify how they communicated. Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail sentence for graft, was ousted in a coup in 2006, but remains a major figure in Thai politics.

While the military has kept a firm grip on power since it felled the remnants of the government of Thaksin's sister Yingluck in another coup last year, he and his allies have won every election since 2001 and anger is mounting among farmers and political opponents.

The military government has slashed rural subsidies and coup leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said this month the next election would not be held until "around" July, 2017, the latest delay to Thailand's return to democracy.

Read More: http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/asiapacific/thaksin-tells-thailand-s/2138804.html

--ChannelNewsAsia 2015-09-20

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nobody can deny that the rice policy was vote buying. The farmers are saying we will vote for anyone who will give us an above market price for our goods. Sad actually that the working and middle class have to pay for the farmers who are just not economical.

"From self-imposed exile, the influential leader of Thailand's rural "red shirt" opposition movement has delivered a simple message to followers chafing at the military junta's iron rule: lay low for now, don't panic, "play dead".

He's not in self imposed exile. He's a fugitive criminal fleeing justice for his crimes.

Nobody can deny that the rice policy was vote buying. The farmers are saying we will vote for anyone who will give us an above market price for our goods. Sad actually that the working and middle class have to pay for the farmers who are just not economical.

Look what happened.....If the working and middle class would pay a bit for poor farmers I would complete understand it. (Even I would prefer the money goes into the education system for their kids).

But in fact only little of the money ended with the farmer. The working+middle class paid for corruption inside the PTP and the mills, warehouses and middlemen.

"Thaksin, who lives abroad to avoid a jail sentence for graft, was ousted in a coup in 2006,"

No he wasn't.

Not direct but in fact yes. His placeholders were ousted 2006 and 2014. It was always him in power.

There was no govt in place when the 2006 coup occurred.

There was no govt because the previous election was riddled with corrupt election practices.

thaksin was not pm.

No one was.

Edited by Bluespunk

"From self-imposed exile, the influential leader of Thailand's rural "red shirt" opposition movement has delivered a simple message to followers chafing at the military junta's iron rule: lay low for now, don't panic, "play dead".

He's not in self imposed exile. He's a fugitive criminal fleeing justice for his crimes.

When will the current administration decide it's time to flee?

Look what happened.....If the working and middle class would pay a bit for poor farmers I would complete understand it. (Even I would prefer the money goes into the education system for their kids).

But in fact only little of the money ended with the farmer. The working+middle class paid for corruption inside the PTP and the mills, warehouses and middlemen.

True.. a subsidy based on land held by the poorest of farmers would be far better and would have left far less room for corruption. Also it would exclude the wealthier larger farmers.

And your right most of the money did not end up with the farmers but the middlemen. Just helping the poorest of the farmers would be far better. Maybe based on land they own or the amount of rice they sold before. Making sure only the poorest qualify.

Of course it was a nod to the poor farmers. That's what all politicians do of whatever colour.

You are wrong that they will vote for whoever gives them handouts. The dems tried and lost and the army is trying now but will never be popular with the voters,

I don't think it sad that some taxpayers money is being given to the poor. It is what all democratic govs do and indeed is a must in humanitarian societies. The USA and EU massively subsidise their uneconomical farmers so why criticise Thailand for doing the same. It makes good sense.

Of course it was a nod to the poor farmers. That's what all politicians do of whatever colour.

You are wrong that they will vote for whoever gives them handouts. The dems tried and lost and the army is trying now but will never be popular with the voters,

I don't think it sad that some taxpayers money is being given to the poor. It is what all democratic govs do and indeed is a must in humanitarian societies. The USA and EU massively subsidise their uneconomical farmers so why criticise Thailand for doing the same. It makes good sense.

Im against the EU subsidies too, so its a principle for me. I don't see why things that won't work should be subsidized. If people are helped that have little money it should not be exclusively farmers but just people who qualify. Now its just vote buying and if you read the article they will vote for anyone who promises them higher prices.

I bet you that if the PTP does not offer an farmers incentive but the democrats do they won't vote PTP.

And specially he flees the many other cases that are at court.....many are more juicy than the case he was sentenced for.

Im against the EU subsidies too, so its a principle for me. I don't see why things that won't work should be subsidized. If people are helped that have little money it should not be exclusively farmers but just people who qualify. Now its just vote buying and if you read the article they will vote for anyone who promises them higher prices.

I bet you that if the PTP does not offer an farmers incentive but the democrats do they won't vote PTP.

Some subsidies make sense, because you want to have small farmers and not only huge agrarian factories and you want a mix of products. Not like Netherland makes all the milk and has no pork production and Poland produces only pork, Italy only wine.

That is the theoretic thing. Practical the subsidies are without much target. I would actually only subsidies organic food, I can't find any reason why food loaded with chemicals should be subsidies. (Well beside if I need the votes from the farmers)

Some subsidies make sense, because you want to have small farmers and not only huge agrarian factories and you want a mix of products. Not like Netherland makes all the milk and has no pork production and Poland produces only pork, Italy only wine.

That is the theoretic thing. Practical the subsidies are without much target. I would actually only subsidies organic food, I can't find any reason why food loaded with chemicals should be subsidies. (Well beside if I need the votes from the farmers)

Not sure that I agree there, countries should do what they do best. If that is milk in the Netherlands then so be it. It has its risks of course and diversity helps but in the end its the consumer / tax payer who pays for it. I would say go large. The disadvantage is of course when one party controls the whole market (so some rules are in place against such things happening)

But here we have small farmers who are never turning a profit always complaining, in such a situation you need change not supporting it without change.

Several members have mentioned that the bulk of the rice subsidy money did not reach the farmers, but was diverted by rices mills, middle men, and corruption.

I'm not disputing this. I think it is as likely as any other explanation for that part of the loss that was not due to the difference between the price paid, and the market price (which was a substantial part of the loss).

However, has anyone seen an accounting of this reported in the press? Something that shows total outlays, less market pricing losses, less customary milling and storage fees, less payments to farmers = waste/fraud

I haven't seen this sort of accounting. Instead, there is a total figure bandied about (600 billion baht or so), with inadequate justification for the figure. NACC and the Finance Ministry are using the figure...but oddly they never reveal their calculations...and vague reference is made to committees going over this stuff.

Do you guys have much faith in the "committees"?

"Wait for the next election" so is there a problem with that? isn't that the way to make change? isn't that the way to rid a nation of a government that is not doing a good job at governance? The problem is that some don't like the idea of elections or equal voting rights and therefor this creates divisions.

None so blind as those that don't want to see.

As said many times, put lipstick on a pig it's still a pig.

Several members have mentioned that the bulk of the rice subsidy money did not reach the farmers, but was diverted by rices mills, middle men, and corruption.

I'm not disputing this. I think it is as likely as any other explanation for that part of the loss that was not due to the difference between the price paid, and the market price (which was a substantial part of the loss).

However, has anyone seen an accounting of this reported in the press? Something that shows total outlays, less market pricing losses, less customary milling and storage fees, less payments to farmers = waste/fraud

I haven't seen this sort of accounting. Instead, there is a total figure bandied about (600 billion baht or so), with inadequate justification for the figure. NACC and the Finance Ministry are using the figure...but oddly they never reveal their calculations...and vague reference is made to committees going over this stuff.

Do you guys have much faith in the "committees"?

There was also true corruption in the scheme benefiting the top of the PTP with the fake G2G deals. So its not only the middle men and such taking a cut but also the top of the PTP (think they would also take a cut from the people storing the rice)

I have faith in that they will show how bad the program is and it will all come out problem is that Thai newspapers are not good at following up stuff.

This whole scheme was just made for corruption and wast fullness. If they really wanted to help the poor farmers they would have just given money on the poorest of the farmers based on how much land they own or rice they produced in the past. This way the money would have gone only to the poorest farmers and not to the rich ones (guess that quite a few politicians had big farms too).

So based on this headline is it safe to assume....Lets burn BKK part deux is currently in the planning stages

That has always been in the planning stages a leopard does not loose its spots that easy. The redshirts are a violent organisation I would not expect them to change. The only thing keeping them in place is the army.

AFP seems to have disappeared, but now we have Channel News Asia with:

"While the military has kept a firm grip on power since it felled the remnants of the government of Thaksin's sister Yingluck in another coup last year, he and his allies have won every election since 2001 and anger is mounting among farmers and political opponents.

The military government has slashed rural subsidies and coup leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said this month the next election would not be held until "around" July, 2017, the latest delay to Thailand's return to democracy."

About the same level of lacking in truth as AFP.

Where is Channel News Asia located? Singapore, which tightly controls controls the flavor of all news 'reports'.

True.. a subsidy based on land held by the poorest of farmers would be far better and would have left far less room for corruption. Also it would exclude the wealthier larger farmers.

And your right most of the money did not end up with the farmers but the middlemen. Just helping the poorest of the farmers would be far better. Maybe based on land they own or the amount of rice they sold before. Making sure only the poorest qualify.

Part of the problem with a lot of poor farmers is that they actually don't own the land they work but rent it from other farmers. I may have been in their family at one time but maybe it was sold to pay off accumulated debts.

AFP seems to have disappeared, but now we have Channel News Asia with:

"While the military has kept a firm grip on power since it felled the remnants of the government of Thaksin's sister Yingluck in another coup last year, he and his allies have won every election since 2001 and anger is mounting among farmers and political opponents.

The military government has slashed rural subsidies and coup leader and Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-ocha said this month the next election would not be held until "around" July, 2017, the latest delay to Thailand's return to democracy."

About the same level of lacking in truth as AFP.

Where is Channel News Asia located? Singapore, which tightly controls controls the flavor of all news 'reports'.

I thought it was afp when reading it. Certainly mimics their distortions of the truth.