E-Channel for Permanent Residents

I've been using the e-gates for coming on two years and it is fantastic: well done Immigration for introducing this for PR holders - in my mind it's one of the real advantages of PR for anyone who travels frequently. I've gone from having to get a new passport every year or two, to having used the same one for more than four years. As a Brit that's a particular benefit given the palaver we face to get a new passport (and the cost - £100 quid or whatever for each new one).

Now to see what happens when it comes to renewal as my original two-year AutoChannel authorisation expires next month. I've asked on several occasions at Suvarnambhumi about the renewal process and the simple answer appears to be ... no-one has renewed yet so Immigration aren't exactly sure what to do ... latest advice (a couple of weeks back) was "you have to let it expire and then come and re-apply; we'll extend it until your re-current entry expires (Nov in my case) and then when you get a new re-entry, we'll update the system". 

I'll post an update in due course.

11 hours ago, BKKBike09 said:

I've been using the e-gates for coming on two years and it is fantastic: well done Immigration for introducing this for PR holders - in my mind it's one of the real advantages of PR for anyone who travels frequently. I've gone from having to get a new passport every year or two, to having used the same one for more than four years. As a Brit that's a particular benefit given the palaver we face to get a new passport (and the cost - £100 quid or whatever for each new one).

Now to see what happens when it comes to renewal as my original two-year AutoChannel authorisation expires next month. I've asked on several occasions at Suvarnambhumi about the renewal process and the simple answer appears to be ... no-one has renewed yet so Immigration aren't exactly sure what to do ... latest advice (a couple of weeks back) was "you have to let it expire and then come and re-apply; we'll extend it until your re-current entry expires (Nov in my case) and then when you get a new re-entry, we'll update the system". 

Thanks, looking forward to the update. So, I thought the e-channel registration is valid as long as your re-entry (sorry, non-quota immigrant visa)? If it is valid for two years from approval, that is good news already. Where do I find the approval date? I am not sure in what month I got it...

I do believe I have to re-register when my passport expires in any case, is that correct?

One more question? There doesn't seem to be an e-channel of you travel by business class, is that right? I didn't see any, neither at the TG-business class immigration area, nor at the VIP area which you use when travelling with other airlines.

35 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

Thanks, looking forward to the update. So, I thought the e-channel registration is valid as long as your re-entry (sorry, non-quota immigrant visa)? If it is valid for two years from approval, that is good news already. Where do I find the approval date? I am not sure in what month I got it...

I do believe I have to re-register when my passport expires in any case, is that correct?

The expiry date is printed on the sticker they place in your passport. At least it is on mine.

38 minutes ago, onthemoon said:

One more question? There doesn't seem to be an e-channel of you travel by business class, is that right? I didn't see any, neither at the TG-business class immigration area, nor at the VIP area which you use when travelling with other airlines.

That's right, the AutoChannel gates are only at the main immigration area of departures. When the immigration queues get long so too do the queues for security so it is still often faster to go through either the premium or TG checkpoints and be processed by an IO.

1 hour ago, thedemon said:

That's right, the AutoChannel gates are only at the main immigration area of departures. When the immigration queues get long so too do the queues for security so it is still often faster to go through either the premium or TG checkpoints and be processed by an IO.

Thanks. Does anybody know whether there are plans to install autochannels in the two business class areas?

• 3 months later...
On 24/08/2017 at 8:52 PM, BKKBike09 said:

Pleased to be able to report that I have been able to renew my E-Channel permit for a further two years. That said, it took three trips through Immigration at Suvarnabhumi to get it done. There was a glitch in the database that meant records for existing registered users were locked and couldn't be updated; the officers were very helpful but on first two trips out couldn't help. Another friend who is registered and now expired had the same problems. However on third attempt (coming in) they were able to do it with help from a tech, and now it's working as before. It really is one of the best practical benefits that PR holders who are frequent travellers can enjoy. I think I was among the very first to apply for renewal so hopefully the issue has been corrected. I only needed passport and blue book for renewal (again with caveat that passport must have, I think, two years remaining validity).

• 1 month later...

I tried to renew my Autochannel registration last week but failed because last year I changed my Certificate of Residence (PR book) and apparently my passport number is tied to the old PR book and as the software is now, there is no way of unlinking the 2 documents.

After several Immigation officers tried and failed a more senior officer came out to speak with me and said that the only way for me to renew the Autochannel registration is to change passport. He was polite and said himself that this is a pretty ridiculous situation but that there is nothing they can do until the software is fixed. I got the impression from him that I shouldn't hold my breath waiting for that to happen.

Has anyone else come up against this issue?

• 4 months later...

^ as per my post from December 2017 I successfully (but not without hassle) renewed my registration in latter part off last year.

However, in February this year I had to get a new passport (old one full) and at the same time changed the blue PR book to the white one, since the blue one was also full. I thought it would simple to update my e-channel registration but turns out something has gone wrong somewhere and now, despite 4 attempts at the airport, 2 visits to CW and 2 to the computer division at Suan Phlu, my registration no longer works and there's no sign of them being able to get it fixed. I've asked several times for my e-channel registration to be erased and the details re-eneterd from scratch, but apparently no-one at CW, Suan Phlu or the airport has the ability to do this ...

I've been given various explanations as to why it's not working, none of which have any obvious solution. In fact, a couple of weeks back, after having been told that "it should work now", it transpired that not only does it not work, but now when my passport is scanned by the IO at a manned desk, the record that comes up doesn't properly tally with the passport in some manner, so I'm either pulled off to one side or it takes them 5 minutes to sort it out ...

On my last trip back in I was told by an IO that there had been a software change of some sort back in February and that, since then, the e-channel system for foreigners has been very erratic and that it's also affecting some Singaporeans who have registered (since Singaporean tourist visitors are able to register). I've no way of knowing whether this is true (the software change) but the timing makes sense.

I refuse to go to the back of the queue seeing as how I re-registered for a further two years only months ago, so I have adopted the approach of trying to use the e-channel each time and then, when it doesn't work, using one of the priority or similar manned desks.

It's a monumental PITA.

• 4 weeks later...

I registered with my previous passport in September 2016 and got a sticker in the back of it but I never managed to use the auto channel. When scanning the data page of my -German- passport the gate would open but upon scanning my finger a 'data error' would pop of every time. I tried it a few times, endless discussions with various IOs at Suvarnabhumi, their IT department and also Chaeng Wattana. Finally I was advised it was a general problem for the machine to read German passports (?). 

I got a new passport a month ago (new design) and Chaeng Wattana -upon stamping my new non quota visa- advised that generally Immigration at Suvarnabhumi had been making a mess of data entries for auto channel applications for PRs. They provided me with a print out from their system highlighting in yellow the crucial parts the IO would have to enter. 

Leaving Thailand one week later I tried to update my data after passing through immigration. It took an IO about 30 minutes but he couldn't update my information as the machine wouldn't read my passport according to him. The IT guy was called in who advised that the auto channel gates generally have a problem reading the new German, US and Hong Kong passports. According to him they are waiting for a software update but he couldn't tell me when it would it would come. Traveling to the EU, US and also Singapore (going out) non of the auto gates or readers ever had any problems reading my passports.

Highly frustrating as especially going out -if not traveling in business class- there can be long ques at immigration. Coming in is of course less of a problem as you can always swing right and use the manual counters for Thais and special needs. Any other PR having similar problems?

I confirm that I was told at Suvarnabhumi that they are waiting for a software update and cannot currently read the new German passports. I also confirm that it was no problem whatsoever when entering the EU, so the problem is not the passport.

Thai immigration has been waiting for the software update for months now, and I wonder whether the German embassy are in touch with them. Does anybody know?

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/5/2018 at 1:51 PM, tblbkk said:

I registered with my previous passport in September 2016 and got a sticker in the back of it but I never managed to use the auto channel. When scanning the data page of my -German- passport the gate would open but upon scanning my finger a 'data error' would pop of every time. I tried it a few times, endless discussions with various IOs at Suvarnabhumi, their IT department and also Chaeng Wattana. Finally I was advised it was a general problem for the machine to read German passports (?). 

I got a new passport a month ago (new design) and Chaeng Wattana -upon stamping my new non quota visa- advised that generally Immigration at Suvarnabhumi had been making a mess of data entries for auto channel applications for PRs. They provided me with a print out from their system highlighting in yellow the crucial parts the IO would have to enter. 

Leaving Thailand one week later I tried to update my data after passing through immigration. It took an IO about 30 minutes but he couldn't update my information as the machine wouldn't read my passport according to him. The IT guy was called in who advised that the auto channel gates generally have a problem reading the new German, US and Hong Kong passports. According to him they are waiting for a software update but he couldn't tell me when it would it would come. Traveling to the EU, US and also Singapore (going out) non of the auto gates or readers ever had any problems reading my passports.

Highly frustrating as especially going out -if not traveling in business class- there can be long ques at immigration. Coming in is of course less of a problem as you can always swing right and use the manual counters for Thais and special needs. Any other PR having similar problems?

Hi have been having the same issue with my new German passport as well since Oct last year. System cannot read the data page when trying to set up new PP.  Also being told that SW update is "coming" since then.

Very frustrating especially that at the manned IO stations there are no more queues for "Thai passports only"  when leaving. When arriving I ALWAYS go to the right for VIP, BIZ class, special needs.  Never got any questions or problems doing that

9 hours ago, beeper said:

Hi have been having the same issue with my new German passport as well since Oct last year. System cannot read the data page when trying to set up new PP.  Also being told that SW update is "coming" since then.

Very frustrating especially that at the manned IO stations there are no more queues for "Thai passports only"  when leaving. When arriving I ALWAYS go to the right for VIP, BIZ class, special needs.  Never got any questions or problems doing that

Confirmed. I also have a new German passport, and when I went to the counter to have the number updated in the system, they were friendly but helplessly advised that the software cannot handle it.

I wonder whether the embassy is aware of it, maybe they can take some influence on immigration.

By the way, upon arriving in Europe, the passport and face identification went lightning fast, not with all these "try agains" that not only me but also Thai people experience(d) all the time.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/5/2018 at 5:05 AM, beeper said:

Has any German passport holder of the new latest passport version has had any luck with going to immigration eGates at Suvarnabhumi?

A few days ago, I went (again) to the counter at Suvarnabhumi and told them that I have a new passport and need to update my auto-channel registration. Upon seeing the new German passport, they advised that the system cannot read it, I'll have to wait for an update. Same answer as a few months ago.

I went to the PR counters at CW recently to get my yearly stamps and mentioned that the new German passport cannot be read by the auto-channel machines for whatever reason. The lady I talked to hadn't been aware of it.

I am also going to contact the German embassy. I don't know whether they can help, but at least they should be aware of it.

If other people also mention this to the PR counters at CW and to the embassy, maybe someone will bring it up with the government. Let's get a ball rolling. If we do not create awareness, nothing will happen.

Edited by onthemoon
  • Like 1

On 9/14/2018 at 9:00 PM, onthemoon said:

A few days ago, I went (again) to the counter at Suvarnabhumi and told them that I have a new passport and need to update my auto-channel registration. Upon seeing the new German passport, they advised that the system cannot read it, I'll have to wait for an update. Same answer as a few months ago.

I went to the PR counters at CW recently to get my yearly stamps and mentioned that the new German passport cannot be read by the auto-channel machines for whatever reason. The lady I talked to hadn't been aware of it.

I am also going to contact the German embassy. I don't know whether they can help, but at least they should be aware of it.

If other people also mention this to the PR counters at CW and to the embassy, maybe someone will bring it up with the government. Let's get a ball rolling. If we do not create awareness, nothing will happen.

Update: I contacted the German Embassy and was referred to the diplomat in charge. He had no clue. First he said that the auto-channel is for Chinese etc in addition Thais, but not for Germans. So I explained that some Germans have PR, and it is a privilege of PR holders, and Germans are now excluded from this privilege, which is an unfair situation. No reply to date.

I think it is important that other Germans with PR contact him too. Please send me PM in German, and I will send you his direct email address.

1 hour ago, THAIJAMES said:

I have tried 3 times to go through the auto channel on a US passport, never worked for me always had to do it manually.     Even though their scanners behind the desk could read my passport, the auto machines could not.   

Did you register your passport with the dedicated desk and got a sticker in the passport first?

2 hours ago, THAIJAMES said:

Yes, I am registered and have the sticker in inside back page of passport

Then I'd be interested whether it ever worked with your passport.

The machines are not very good, even Thai passport holders have problems sometimes. I wonder why that is, because the scanners at the manual counters seem to always work. Maybe a different brand?

On 9/20/2015 at 7:28 PM, BKKBike09 said:

^ As per above, basically a Thai person who can be named as a reference in your application. In my case my missus.

For those who read Thai, they told me "ต้องมีบุคคล อ้างอิ่ง"

I was told the same.

I asked if it could be my adult Thai son. Imm officer said 'does he have Thai ID card? I answered yes, Imm. guy said 'OK, can be anybody who can give a Thai ID card number'. 

15 hours ago, onthemoon said:

Then I'd be interested whether it ever worked with your passport.

The machines are not very good, even Thai passport holders have problems sometimes. I wonder why that is, because the scanners at the manual counters seem to always work. Maybe a different brand?

They gave me the impression that the software used in the auto reader is not very reliable and they are constantly having problems.  By contrast just used it for auto readers in the US and had no problem using my passport.  The Thai bidding process doesn't exactly make it easy to get best quality/value products and services.

30 minutes ago, THAIJAMES said:

They gave me the impression that the software used in the auto reader is not very reliable and they are constantly having problems.  By contrast just used it for auto readers in the US and had no problem using my passport.  The Thai bidding process doesn't exactly make it easy to get best quality/value products and services.

I have to agree with that, as the EU passport scans quickly and reliably in the EU and the US.