Check-up required for vehicles with over a year of unpaid tax

webfact

Check-up required for vehicles with over a year of unpaid tax

BANGKOK, 21 September 2015 (NNT) – Vehicles owners who have not paid their vehicle tax for over 1 year will be required to complete vehicle maintenance check-ups before proceeding with taxation by next year, DLT official says.

The Department of Land Transport (DLT) Deputy Director-General Suchart Khlinsuwan Has revealed that the DLT will impose the new regulations for vehicles with overdue tax payment starting from 1 January 2016.

The new regulations will require vehicle owners who have the tax payment overdue by 1-3 years to take their vehicles to receive check-ups at the DLT offices or at certified check-up points beforehand, in order to proceed with the tax payment and late payment.

Vehicle owners who wish to complete the payment before 1 January 2016 will be exempted form the check-up prerequisite, but the penalty for late payment will still be charged.

The DLT Deputy Director-General has added that the validity of the vehicle license will be revoked after 3 years of non-payment.

He said that owner of the revoked licenses will have to pay all the payment due and penalties, then re-register the license if they wish to continue using the existing license plate.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2015-09-21 footer_n.gif

the fine is 1 thb per month late ........

if this was serious they would make it 500thb or 1000thb a MONTH and every thai would keep his vehicle tax and insurance up to date

the fine is so insubstancial i have often let mine lapse until i had a few registrations to do at the same time / in the same year .......coffee1.gif

Just have a car with red plates and you do not need to pay road tax. I have been driving my car on red plates for 17 months and I still cannot get the garage to register the car. Mazda at Lopburi is the pits.

Just have a car with red plates and you do not need to pay road tax. I have been driving my car on red plates for 17 months and I still cannot get the garage to register the car. Mazda at Lopburi is the pits.

In BKK i know Thai who don't want to get the red plates changed.

It's more hiso to have red plates, then you look so rich.wai2.gifgigglem.gif

So now they drive a new car for more then a year..

there are restrictions though ,

red plates are not allowed outside the province they were issued in

and also not allowed to drive after 7pm or in the hours of darkness etc

so if looking like a hi-so is worth only being allowed to use your car during limited times in limited areas.....theyre welcome to it .....:)

police will be rubbing their hands their hands together if its a farang

Funny guy :-)

Just like any other law nobody cares and I know people on red plates for years who drive anywhere in Thailand.

About road tax, if we plan to keep the car forever we will never have to pay it ? What is the official fine if you do not have the tax sticker ?

there are restrictions though ,

red plates are not allowed outside the province they were issued in

and also not allowed to drive after 7pm or in the hours of darkness etc

so if looking like a hi-so is worth only being allowed to use your car during limited times in limited areas.....theyre welcome to it .....smile.png

police will be rubbing their hands their hands together if its a farang

I have driven 27000 kms on red plates with my car. Usually just waved through. Stopped twice. Once they asked for the red plate book and the let me go without payment. I had been on red plates over a year then. I do not want to be on red plates but lopburi Mazda could not run a pissing up in a brewery

I pay the tax. But if I didn't, who would care?

Thailand has plenty of laws but without enforcement, nothing happens.

If they are going to talk the talk they need to walk the walk. Hire some police that are willing to enforce laws. It would be a win-win for the government because traffic violation revenues would climb dramatically (assuming the cops didn't pocket the fines) and fatalities might just drop.

In Thailand, you can ride your motorbike drunk, down the wrong side of the road at night with no functioning lights, no helmet, while chatting on a cell phone with a baby in your arms, weaving between cars. No police anywhere to be seen!

How about 8 yo kids driving on the highways. Do they have licenses & insurance? I think not.

Why even talk about the trees when you don't know how to get to the forest?

Only in the land of smiles...

I know a police woman who drives on red plates almost 2 years now, but no money to put fuel in the tank halfway through the month.