AoT board to consider security fee at six Thai airports

webfact

35 baht = .97 US Dollar, 97 cents, think I can afford it. The Thai economy is struggling, I'm happy to pay. My airfare round trip from the US is $630, my apartment for 2 months at Ratchaprarop 1 block from Victory Monument is $185 USD per month for 2 months. The Thais are welcome to the 35 baht

Edited by Jonathan Swift

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

35 baht = .97 US Dollar, 97 cents, think I can afford it. The Thai economy is struggling, I'm happy to pay. My airfare round trip from the US is $630, my apartment for 2 months at Ratchaprarop 1 block from Victory Monument is $185 USD per month for 2 months. The Thais are welcome to the 35 baht

That's the spirit ! But why not make it voluntary and you can also donate as much as your happiness determines ?

If it's included in the ticket price no one will even notice. Just say they are increasing the departure tax from 700 to 735 baht. Make it 750 baht to take into account the next little increase.

The airlines notice, which is always the reason why these measures are hard for AOT to implement. Budget airlines especially have been instrumental for growth in the domestic tourism sector and TAT recognises such.

I guess anything to keep people away since visitors have already paid a fee more than enough in their ticket-Price ... Another thai scam ... blink.png

Whats next ... : Toilet fee, AC fee, bad service fee etc. etc. Stay away from here, its not worth it ...

Please stop giving them ideas. Next we will see these being implemented

That's the spirit ! But why not make it voluntary and you can also donate as much as your happiness determines ?

If they had a jar for donations I would do it. What they should do is write on the jar "bonuses for hard working airport employees" haha. Or be honest "donate to the struggling Thai economy". Seriously, a lot of travelers/tourists are pretty well off, I don't see why they wouldn't contribute. In times where airlines are charging for checked baggage this is a very tiny fee.

If they had a jar for donations I would do it. What they should do is write on the jar "bonuses for hard working airport employees" haha. Or be honest "donate to the struggling Thai economy". Seriously, a lot of travelers/tourists are pretty well off, I don't see why they wouldn't contribute. In times where airlines are charging for checked baggage this is a very tiny fee.

Donate here to help the incapable.

no no no

I already pay on each flight more fees on security, taxes and other service fees than for the flight itself.

Such organisations always charge charge and later raise the charge because they can and nobody can argue with them, they are like unproductive public servants.

If an additional fee is really needed to finance security, airlines should be allowed to setup their own security checks and not be forced to use the airport's official checks because if there is only one authorized service, there is no competition to keep the costs down.

Don't they already get a 500 Baht departure fee as part of the ticket price? (it used to be collected at the airport)

How do they expect to collect an arrival fee?

Yes 500 baht departure fee levied in flight price for many years thumbsup.gif

Isn't it 700 baht? Since 8 years ago now.

Look AoT, you have been hankering for an increase for a few years now, just slap it onto the standard departure tax, which is included in the ticket and does not involve any 'collections' and improve your standards of service to justify it. Whether it is to cover added security procedures or better food for the drug sniffing beagles, whatever!

I guess anything to keep people away since visitors have already paid a fee more than enough in their ticket-Price ... Another thai scam ... blink.png

Whats next ... : Toilet fee, AC fee, bad service fee etc. etc. Stay away from here, its not worth it ...

I believe your final paragraph actually applies to Ryan Air.

Mind you the USA is just as bad. To transit through the USA you have to pay something like $14.50 before you can get on your flight to the US. They al talk about security but none of the airports have anything like effective security in place.

If they want to charge ok but make sure you have actual security in place not the stupid things that currently exist and which in reality do nothing to increase safety

25mio tourists scammed with new idea of thai authorities - a fee for security...

25mio x 35thb = 875 mio thb or 25 mio USD per year.

Enough to build some very secure villas for airport officials...

Double that. Note that the proposed charge is for arrivals AND departures. A typical tourist will therefore pay 70 baht extra for his visit to Thailand.

I acknowledge your point regarding well off tourists, but I would rather put my loose change or otherwise into one of the many charity boxes at the airports. At least a fighting chance of it doing some good where it's needed.

no no no

I already pay on each flight more fees on security, taxes and other service fees than for the flight itself.

Government fees and taxes on your flight cost you more than the actual flight price. Iam struggling to believe that.

here is my latest flight costs breakdown:

air fare 233

tax 36.40

airline surcharges 450

fee 22

total: 760.9

typically the "airline surcharges" is made of airport tax, airport service charge, security charge, etc.

no no no

Government fees and taxes on your flight cost you more than the actual flight price. Iam struggling to believe that.

air fare 233

tax 36.40

airline surcharges 450

fee 22

typically the "airline surcharges" is made of airport tax, airport service charge, security charge, etc.

Would be nice to see a breakdown of that airline surcharge, I'll bet more of it goes to the actual airline than on airport taxes and security charges kinda like those flights for $20.00 but with $500.00 worth of "taxes and surcharges" attched.

Edited by Don Mega

no no no

air fare 233

tax 36.40

airline surcharges 450

fee 22

Would be nice to see a breakdown of that airline surcharge, I'll bet more of it goes to the actual airline than on airport taxes and security charges kinda like those flights for $20.00 but with $500.00 worth of "taxes and surcharges" attched.

those surcharges of course contain also the charge of the western airport I use.

Only in thailand! Finding a way to charge you more. Incompetent bunch of losers

BS. We can see the High Quality Expat Thrash here.

Many airports charge Security fees and other fees.

The US September 11th Security Fee is collected from passengers by air carriers. The fee is currently $5.60 per one-way trip in air transportation that originates at an airport in the United States, except that the fee imposed per round trip shall not exceed $11.20.

The charges for Singapore Changi International airport incorporated in the air ticket:

Passenger Security Service Charge - SGD8
Passenger Service Charge - SGD19.90
Aviation Levy - SGD6.10

Manila Departure fee - P550

Security Fee - P200

• 5 months later...

Yesterday, I bought my first airline ticket for Bangkok since the introduction of this new Thai security tax and it seems that this fee is charged both on arrival and on departure:

post-21260-0-91798300-1456833707_thumb.p

The ticket is for a round-trip from MXP (Milan) to BKK and the last three amounts on the list, with the codes E7 and TS, are Thai airport charges. CHF 1.00 for the code E7 corresponds to the new charge of THB 35, CHF 19.50 for the code TS is the airport tax of THB 700.

I used the attached list made available by Singapore Airlined to decipher the tax codes. E7 is not on the list, perhaps because it is new and the list has not yet been updated with it.

airport-taxes.pdf