Phuket beach management rules frozen for new Governor

webfact

Phuket beach management rules frozen for new Governor
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1442824207_1-org.jpg
Whether or not beach chairs and umbrellas will be allowed to return to Phuket's beaches has yet to be resolved. Photo: The Phuket News / file

PHUKET: -- The ensuing saga of the beach management rules applied to regulate the sands of Phuket’s key tourist beach have been frozen until the new Phuket Governor arrives on October 1, The Phuket News has been told.

Current Phuket Governor, Nisit Jamsomwong, told The Phuket News today, “I will make no changes to the beach management system before Chamroen Tipayapongthada arrives for duty as the new Governor of Phuket.”

Mr Chamroen, who was one of the key figures in the dismantling of the Phuket taxi mafia last year, currently serves as the Vice Governor of Nakhon Pathom province, on the outskirts of Bangkok.

He will return to the island as Governor of Phuket Province on October 1.

“I have spoken with him about all my current tasks that have yet to reach completion,” Gov Nisit told The Phuket News. “But there is little to worry about in the delay. There is only 10 days before he arrives.”

V/Gov Chamroen declined to elaborate on what his plans or top priorities for Phuket were.

“I have yet to take up the post as Phuket Governor, so I am unable to comment [on Phuket issues] at the moment,” he said. “But after I do, I will surely be available to talk with the media.”

For the foreseeable future, however, V/Gov Chamroen said that no changes to the beach management system will be made.

“In my mind, there will be no immediate changes to the beach management rules, as the rules are still under review. I can’t explain more,” he said.

Governor Nisit announced the slew of new beach rules at meeting he chaired on January 29, resulting in the controversial decision to limit the number of sun loungers for rent and the number of beach umbrellas allowed on the sands at Phuket’s beaches – and the areas where they may be set up.

Meanwhile, incoming Phuket Governor Chamroen is set to arrive just four weeks before the traditional start of Phuket’s tourism high season begins on December 1.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-beach-management-rules-frozen-for-new-governor-54195.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-09-21

Meanwhile, incoming Phuket Governor Chamroen is set to arrive just four weeks before the traditional start of Phuket’s tourism high season begins on December 1.

If he is starting October 1st should that not be 8 weeks?

I always thought high season started Nov 1st (prices normally go up then sad.png ) and then it would be correct.........