Thai Smile goes upscale

webfact

Thai Smile goes upscale
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Thai Smile is upgrading itself to a premium full-service airline.

Voranate Laprabang, acting chief executive officer, said the subsidiary of Thai Airways International (THAI) would reposition from light premium airline to premium full-service carrier.

He said the airline would work more closely on business planning and marketing with THAI to strengthen competitiveness on existing routes and new networks.

By next month, Thai Smile plans to operate to five more destinations: Mandalay, Hyderabad, Nanning, Chongqing and Changsha.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Thai-Smile-goes-upscale-30269234.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-21

was always overpriced compared to NOK which use the same planes sevice etc , so what they have planned is going to be interesting ..trying to possibly be a Bangkok Airways.

They will be gone in a couple of year..unless they really go for the full on 80 seat business class

Wonder whether all the bashers here have ever used Thai Smile.

I flew domestically with them a couple of times and would always prefer them over Nok or Air Asia when possible.

Nok Air cheaper? Falling into the typical LCC marketing trap with all excluded prices.

I HAVE a bag to check in e.g.

Last flight was on Sunday from DMK to KKC for 999 Baht.

Personnel is young, friendly, absolutely nothing to complain.

No long queues at check in like with Lion air (I walked by).

Flight was in time, 2 year old plane, not one of the worn out Nok planes.

Edited by KhunBENQ

So the subsidiary is going to upscale to compete in exactly the same market as it's parent company?

Morons.

I allow myself to share another perspective... Without using "names".

On several routes Thai Smile has replaced Thai Airways.

On these routes, Thai Smile is the only "better" alternative to the cheap airlines (Air Asia, Nok, etc...).

Many people on these routes miss the standard service they received in the past, and would welcome Thai Airways to take back these routes.

These are the types of passengers who are not price sensitive and probably never flew cheap airlines.

Thai Airways recently announced that they would focus on the segment of customers which are important for their business: The passengers who are not price sensitive and bring more revenues (first, business class passengers, passengers paying full fare to enjoy flexibility, etc...).

So, if Thai Smile, sister company of Thai Airways, focusses on the same type of customers it is only natural, and a good news for those passengers who belong to that group and are ready to pay more in order not to fly "on the cheap"...

So the subsidiary is going to upscale to compete in exactly the same market as it's parent company?

Morons.

And with staff from the same pool of bored, arrogant, incompetent, over-promoted and lazy staff.

You obviously never flew Thai Smile...

I allow myself to give another perspective.

I fly Thai Smile a lot because it has replaced Thai Airways on some routes I have to use.

The Thai Smile staff is young and trendy. Their product is young and trendy... Sometimes noisy.

And... this is what many people who fly a lot don't like, need or want.

Frequent flyers do not need "over-friendly-sexy-flight attendants-talking too much".

Vacationers or retirees may enjoy the sexy presence of these attendants though. But they can find the same style on any cheap airline (because young flight attendants are cheaper to hire).

You may not believe it, but many people like airlines whose flight attendants are discreet (especially because they don't even bother to look at the attendants), don't need "funny videos" played for everyone in the plane, prefer an older plane with wide business class seats rather than brand new plane with narrow seats, etc...

A premium domestic carrier matching the standard required by frequent non-price-sensitive customers, without the "low cost flavor" is what many would like.

The "low cost flavor" (over-friendly sexy young attendants) is there to create a particular identity, which does match with the cheap airlines' products, but not the requirements of a certain group of customers.

Personally I would not mind to have older flight attendants on Thai Smile, who just do their job in a standard manner, rather than the sometimes intrusive presence of younger and sexier attendants, who disturb you even when they want to clear a tooth pick from the seat next to you...

Edited by gerry1011

I will NEVER fly thai smile again.. cramped seating is an understatement with this airline.. I am 6'1" (184cm) and could not fit into the seat with my knees together. I had to sit spread eagle with 1 knee constantly getting banged about in the aisle.. but if you are under 170cm then it would probably be ok.

I will NEVER fly thai smile again.. cramped seating is an understatement with this airline.. I am 6'1" (184cm) and could not fit into the seat with my knees together. I had to sit spread eagle with 1 knee constantly getting banged about in the aisle.. but if you are under 170cm then it would probably be ok.

Wonder what domestic airline you fly then.

I flew Thai smile a few times and actually they were the cheapest choice with 20 kg of luggage for domestic DMK-KKC. around 1100 B one-way. Ok service no problems.

Of course you can some times get cheaper flights with Nok or Air Asia but with less luggage and you have to book long time in advance.