What is your secret bait to catch rats-mice in non kill trap ?

BKKdreaming

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Rats will eat anything so I don't think it makes much difference what type of bait you use. But you do want to use something that won't fall off the trigger where they can eat it without setting off the door. I found a slice of apple is perfect as it is firm and the rat has to pull on it thus setting off the trap.

Hi

I just want to catch them, The snap traps do not seem to get them with peanut butter,

the glue traps get a few , but I think its better to use the cages if I can put bait in them that the rats and mice will go after,

I can leave a buffet for them that I cannot do with a snap trap or glue pad ,

And since I caught them alive its not hard to release them in the "Forest" and let them live there,

I would just not like to have dead rats rotting behind the oven or shelving units that died from poisoning,

or in a wall or under the floor.....

Thanks for ideas on the new "menu"

I've used peanut butter and chocolate before. But for American rodents. Not sure if there's a familiarity issue. The thing about those is they are sticky so work well for spring loaded traps, where solid pieces of food can sometimes be taken off without triggering it. For a trap that's doesn't require something to be messed with and triggered, solid pieces of things should also work.

It took me a month to figure out why the Mice could take the cheese bait and still get out of the humane trap.

And then I used Edam Cheese (Baby Bel) squash a small,piece into one corner,they spend too much time trying to dig the cheese out,that the door drops on their escape route.

Once caught take your humane trap about half a mile away,from your home and set the mouse free,and don't forget to say goodbye.he will not be back!

PS I didn't have any Rats so I don't know how good this is for them?

Thank for the ideas , please keep them coming ...

Now is there a better place to place the trap ?

I read that they like to stay close to walls and not out in the open ,

any truth to that ?

I might take the top 3 ideas and try 3 traps and see if any work ,

I tried the BIG glue traps I got at Tops but have not caught any that way either !

I hate when a couple ounce mouse can be so smarter than me ,

Ohh and I do like Tom and Jerry cartoons , and we know how they all end....the mouse wins smile.png

"I read that they like to stay close to walls and not out in the open ,

any truth to that ?"

Yes !

Hi

I just want to catch them, The snap traps do not seem to get them with peanut butter,

the glue traps get a few , but I think its better to use the cages if I can put bait in them that the rats and mice will go after,

I can leave a buffet for them that I cannot do with a snap trap or glue pad ,

And since I caught them alive its not hard to release them in the "Forest" and let them live there,

I would just not like to have dead rats rotting behind the oven or shelving units that died from poisoning,

or in a wall or under the floor.....

Thanks for ideas on the new "menu"

What do you do with the rats after they are stuck on your glue trap?

10347187_319442034878943_844703332500265

this is what we caught with a glue trap. I was really quite upset for the poor snake and jing jock. And no bloody rat.

If the snake gets stuck like that on the glue and is still alive you can try covering it in cooking oil. It takes a while to dissolve the glue. most types, and the snake will eventually get free. Gives you time to relocate the snake.

I would do for the snake but the rats get a 10 minute underwater swim.

10347187_319442034878943_844703332500265

this is what we caught with a glue trap. I was really quite upset for the poor snake and jing jock. And no bloody rat.

If the snake gets stuck like that on the glue and is still alive you can try covering it in cooking oil. It takes a while to dissolve the glue. most types, and the snake will eventually get free. Gives you time to relocate the snake.

Exactly what I would've done had I seen it in time. Unfortunately we were too late to rescue it.

My wife got a little tearful about it.

The question was asked however, where did it get in and how long had it been living in our kitchen?????

That's why I prefer the old style spring loaded trap that breaks the rats neck, it's quick and with unnecessary suffering. Having to pick up a glue trap with a couple of squealing terrified rats and then drown them isn't something I'd choose to do. Glue traps are horrible things IMO.

Edited by giddyup

dont use that sticky sheet thing where they get glued to a sheet with sticky on it.. bad experience

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do you want to expand on that? I bought one of those sticky traps but never used it, prefer the old spring trap.

Not sure why you want to live trap anything in Thailand unless you are planning on having a feast afterwards. Anyway, if you go to the local market (not Big C or Makro or Lotus) they sell a type of poison that not only kills the critters; but, drys them out so there is no smell of rotting critters after they die.

I think catching rodents can be a waste of time. Instead, make your place uninviting. No food available. No water available. And plug up access to your attic if you have one. Don't have stuff around that they can sleep in. They will move out in a hurry.

Good ideas, in theory, but try and keep rats out of roof space, it's impossible. They come from the drains so they have all the water they need. They will find the smallest space to get inside and then start nibbling on your electric wiring. I caught 10 in the ceiling in as many days and eventually they got the message. Still have the traps set but no rats in a few weeks now.

I think catching rodents can be a waste of time. Instead, make your place uninviting. No food available. No water available. And plug up access to your attic if you have one. Don't have stuff around that they can sleep in. They will move out in a hurry.

Try steel wool, scourer to block up any small access points.- water and gas/electricity pipes

and just what sort of kitchen would you need to have No food available ??

what do they eat ?

the ones that visit me have shewed cable to my coffee machine, kettle and toaster, have nibbled there was though wood doors a number of times in the past 12 years, eat labels off tins and plastic bottles [last night my 6 lt water bottle I bought at Big C at 6 pm] label is now all chewed up on the counter. plastic bags, tops of bottles, 4 of my oil bottles top have been shewed off in the last few days.. I have a larger kitchen 7 x 3.5 meters with many units just about any unit upper or lowers will have rat dropping all over... ALL food stuff I keep in the large lidded plastic storage boxes, have 10 in the lower units..

So my place is uninviting but they have never moved out in a hurry or anytime in the past 12 years.

Edit: please could you advise me ? have what I think is 3 Monitors that live under the house... Thai neighbors say there smallish Alligators, see them every day + they climb my trees 3 meters to the top [have lots of bird nests do they eat the eggs?]

Edited by ignis

what do they eat ?

the ones that visit me have shewed cable to my coffee machine, kettle and toaster, have nibbled there was though wood doors a number of times in the past 12 years, eat labels off tins and plastic bottles [last night my 6 lt water bottle I bought at Big C at 6 pm] label is now all chewed up on the counter. plastic bags, tops of bottles, 4 of my oil bottles top have been shewed off in the last few days.. I have a larger kitchen 7 x 3.5 meters with many units just about any unit upper or lowers will have rat dropping all over... ALL food stuff I keep in the large lidded plastic storage boxes, have 10 in the lower units..

So my place is uninviting but they have never moved out in a hurry or anytime in the past 12 years.

I would just keep setting traps until you have got rid of them. They seem to get the message after a few have had their necks broken.

We used to use this method on the farm, it was quite effective and cheap...

You buy 2 'long necks', drink them, get a pair of old socks and stretch each sock over the bottom half of the bottle. Stuff a wad of bread in the opening, balance the bottom of bottle on a bench/ coffee table etc... put a bucket (half full) of water under the bread end and they simply slip off the glass into the bucket and well, 'back stroke is not their forte ... We really did find it effective, easy clean up and always enjoyed the beer,, if set right, you can leave the bottle in place all night... I guess you may need adjust the sock for the size of your prey...

Good luck, I hope this helps.....cowboy.gif

'Non kill method = no water in bucket!

Edited by GBW

what do they eat ?

I would just keep setting traps until you have got rid of them. They seem to get the message after a few have had their necks broken.

Not sure you can ever get rid of them, maybe a week or so will go by without catching any........ remember as a youngster we would have to check upstairs in the beds before getting in as often would have mice under the blankets., + we had cats that would line up the one caught that day

For me other than the 3 years I lived in a Apartment in Berlin, have spent my 65 years out in the stick somewhere, rats and mince are just normal every day thing