Do Expats have influence in Thailand's life?

sawadee1947

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

In England they do

Really? We're not talking about English citizens of Indian or Arabic descent or Mexican-Americans. We're talking foreigners, i.e., non-citizens. I can tell you that in America, foreigners do not have the same rights as citizens and have almost no influence in terms of policy.

well the problem is they are all "English" as we colonised them all in the past. Karmic returns I feel

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Berkshire, probably most Muslims are citizens of the UK, but many are not and they are arriving all the time.

Correct,,, But as far as i am concerned non of them shoud be. and just to add I personly do not recognize them as so

How fortunate then that no

one gives a stuff whether

or not you recognize

Muslims as British citizens.

God, next thing you know,

white people here will be

complaining that they'll

never be regarded as Thai

despite the fact that they're

bringing in a massive 25K

a month pension into the

country

......Oh wait

You cannot compare Muslims, or any other immigrants coming into the UK to stay with expats coming into Thailand, for many reasons,

among them being not expecting to be regarded as Thai, not expecting Thailand to change their ways to suit them, not being involved with terrorism.

Yeah Siam, GreenJob is not a bigot, he just saying what is true. I try to respect other posters opinions,

but certainly not yours.

Also it is very easy to live here upcountry on 25000 Bt per month if you don't drink or smoke, have no debts, your house, car, motorbike etc paid for,

and not contributing financially to wifes family.

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

Yes they do. The UK to start with. Germany has just given their country away to the muslems, invited them,It goes on and on Most of the EU has the same problem now.

vee tchermans need ze Moslems to vork in ower faktories, pay taxes und pay sozial inshurance for ower atching populashun tongue.png

A little-your wallet is the main reason most Thai women seem to like you and why most Thai men hate you.

but they all do not want to lose face so they are famous for the (fake) smile.

There are of course exceptions but sadly it does not correlate with higher education.

Take care

Berkshire, probably most Muslims are citizens of the UK, but many are not and they are arriving all the time.

Correct,,, But as far as i am concerned non of them shoud be. and just to add I personly do not recognize them as so

How fortunate then that no

one gives a stuff whether

or not you recognize

Muslims as British citizens.

God, next thing you know,

white people here will be

complaining that they'll

never be regarded as Thai

despite the fact that they're

bringing in a massive 25K

a month pension into the

country

......Oh wait

You cannot compare Muslims, or any other immigrants coming into the UK to stay with expats coming into Thailand, for many reasons,

among them being not expecting to be regarded as Thai, not expecting Thailand to change their ways to suit them, not being involved with terrorism.

EXCUSE ME???!!!

Is the Rt. Hon. UKIP member for Nakhon Nowhere talking rubbish yet again?

There is non-stop bitching on this forum from needy, self-important foreigners who believe that the fact they've strapped themselves into a recliner in a McMansion in the boonies for a few years means they should be regarded as Thai - even when they don't speak the bloody language. "Oh, they'll always see us as the falang". "Boo hoo; why can't we be accepted?"

There is non-stop bitching on this forum from needy, self-important foreigners who believe they shouldn't have to jump through the oh-so-draconian hoops represented by the 90-day report simply because they've been here a few years, support a local single mother and her extended family with a 5K a month contribution and have "put down roots".

There are interminable debates calling for Thailand's health & safety, land ownership, company shareholder and consumer protection laws and guidelines to be changed to suit THEM

In the real world, very, very few Muslims are involved with terrorism but, clearly, you've drunk the BNP/EDL Kool-Aid

Yes they do. The UK to start with. Germany has just given their country away to the muslems, invited them,It goes on and on Most of the EU has the same problem now.

vee tchermans need ze Moslems to vork in ower faktories, pay taxes und pay sozial inshurance for ower atching populashun tongue.png

Never a truer word spoken, But my veiw is,it will all end in tears.

A little-your wallet is the main reason most Thai women seem to like you and why most Thai men hate you.

but they all do not want to lose face so they are famous for the (fake) smile.

There are of course exceptions but sadly it does not correlate with higher education.

Take care

I can believe that Thai women are only interested in you for your wallet...but do most Thai men hate you? That's not normal. Why is that I wonder?

Cypress Hill if there is anyone talking rubbish it is you, every few Muslims are terrorists ????????

We will end this conversation now, and just agree to disagree, I don't want to carry this on and have it

resulting in a flaming match, now let's just leave it there.

Never a truer word spoken, But my veiw is,it will all end in tears.

it won't be my tears smile.png

Not actually true - Bangkok and places like Tong lor have been very heavily influenced by Expats and foreigners moreso this last 10 years,
Quality International restaurants, bars, clubs and franchises are all over the place now, to say this has not influenced the Thais, as they have counteracted to improve what they offer with cake shops and the likes.
The quality of food and drink has improved - but as for anything related to government or improving services i would say thats now in decline...
And as for expats providing education to Thais - well that's debatable since Thailand is still well below the AIC average for English, but its not just english they lack education in so perhaps its not just the fault with foreigners but more a fault with society and its focus on fun before effort.

I think we need to define "influence".

We do have some.

Some of us influence the economy.

On a personal, one on one basis, we can influence things like education and attitude.

We have very little or no influence on the "big Picture", things like politics, government and culture.

But for me, creating change is not what living in a foreign country is about.

I am here so they can influence me.

clap2.gifExactamundo! I came to Thailand as a student, not a teacher.

Edited by NativeSon360

who or what is Zuckerberg? huh.png

Facebook guy.

who or what is "Facebook"? huh.png

FYI - Mark Zuckerberg ( an American) is the Founder of Facebook. He is currently the youngest billionaire on the planet.

I think Naam is pulling our leg. Surely he's heard of Facebook. Since he's a finance guy, he must know that FB is one of the biggest tech companies in the world in terms of market cap. But if he actually never has....Lordy.

The way you behave and the way you treat people, if you are a good person, will indeed, change the perception of some Thais.

My wife used to ask me why I did certain things that were "not my job" or gave a tip in situations other than restaurants.

I explained

1) when in Thailand I'm representing my country

2) when I'm not here I know these same people will remember she is my wife and take care of her well

So far so good. When we are apart she often relays people's mention of me and she now tips a little here and there because she "knows I would want that"

When I clean up in front of her shop I see over time other shop keeps doing the same when they didn't do this before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't claim to understand all of the OP's questions but many political topics are just people wanting to vent their frustration, ridicule the system or warn others, not make any serious political points. These comments may influence other expats and after all, this is a forum for expats, not Thais. If you wanted to influence other Thais, of course speaking Thai would be advantageous. There was a thread going recently about the plight of some British expats who had been conned out of properties and land. If they'd spent five seconds reading anything on Thaivisa, perhaps their tragic plight could have been avoided.

In addition, if they had spent one hour of their time consulting with one of the many available British lawyers, then the would have avoided their plight. It was probably another Brit, who led them to the guillotine whistling.gif .