Do Expats have influence in Thailand's life?

sawadee1947

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

In England they do

Really? We're not talking about English citizens of Indian or Arabic descent or Mexican-Americans. We're talking foreigners, i.e., non-citizens. I can tell you that in America, foreigners do not have the same rights as citizens and have almost no influence in terms of policy.

Going by your last sentence, I sure wish that the UK was the same as America. The Muslims are always trying to change things there to suit themselves, and many times succeeding.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You may be able to influence who pays the bill when eating out by paying it yourself but you will never be able to influence what your guests eat.

Money enables us to be here. Maybe the odd person is influenced by our thoughts and take on life but not enough to make a difference as yet. Maybe in another 20 years as Thai people travel more and see more and more how other countries do things on the internet. But then again they are probably better off as they are . Just look at the mess the rest of the world is in.

I think we need to define "influence".

We do have some.

Some of us influence the economy.

On a personal, one on one basis, we can influence things like education and attitude.

We have very little or no influence on the "big Picture", things like politics, government and culture.

But for me, creating change is not what living in a foreign country is about.

I am here so they can influence me.

How true,

I had a wry little smile to myself when my wife, who has recently acquired a job as manager of a salon, came home to tell me she had a bit of a "barney" with some of the staff earlier that day. She went on to explain that it was about them "not leaving things back where they got them from"....."Well done" I said. (I have spent the last 8 years trying to get her to do this).....so yes, I think we can influence them in a good way and it's rewarding when you see the results.....(but it's bl- - - - hard work... 555).

Until you become a Thai citizen then you'll have a say and responsibility to the country. Otherwise you are a foreigner in Thailand who is free to stay and free to leave.

dream on. thai citizens have no influence over anything in thailand unless they have spending power to buy influence.

as for"expats", they just learn to enjoy the humilation and pain everytime they are asked to bend over. In order to keep face they often justify their treatment from thais by harsh criticism of their own nation, usually over trivial matters. Expats here are really weird compared with expats elsewhere.

And if I was a thai, I sure as hell wouldn't let an "expat" tell me what to do.

Edited by Time Traveller

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

In England they do

Really? We're not talking about English citizens of Indian or Arabic descent or Mexican-Americans. We're talking foreigners, i.e., non-citizens. I can tell you that in America, foreigners do not have the same rights as citizens and have almost no influence in terms of policy.

Going by your last sentence, I sure wish that the UK was the same as America. The Muslims are always trying to change things there to suit themselves, and many times succeeding.

Yes, but aren't these Muslims that you speak of citizens of the UK?

Plenty of foreigners have had influence here. I'm thinking of people like Bill Heinecke and Harald Link in business, Bill Warren and Marcel Barang in literature, Bruce Gaston and Elsie Evans in the arts, Peter Pannapadipo in education, etc. Even Andrew Biggs, who I always used to take as a figure of fun, has had real positive impact - I meet young Thais all the time who were inspired by him.

But of course all these people have done it through their work, not by whingeing on online forums.

Not sure about all those names that you mentioned, but Bill Heinecke is in fact a Thai citizen. He renounced his US citizenship.

Not sure about all those names that you mentioned, but Bill Heinecke is in fact a Thai citizen. He renounced his US citizenship.

Yes, at the age of 42, after 20 years in business here. And in fact acquiring Thai citizenship is one way that a 'foreigner' can gain credibility here.

I think we need to define "influence".

We do have some.

Some of us influence the economy.

On a personal, one on one basis, we can influence things like education and attitude.

We have very little or no influence on the "big Picture", things like politics, government and culture.

But for me, creating change is not what living in a foreign country is about.

I am here so they can influence me.

How true,

I had a wry little smile to myself when my wife, who has recently acquired a job as manager of a salon, came home to tell me she had a bit of a "barney" with some of the staff earlier that day. She went on to explain that it was about them "not leaving things back where they got them from"....."Well done" I said. (I have spent the last 8 years trying to get her to do this).....so yes, I think we can influence them in a good way and it's rewarding when you see the results.....(but it's bl- - - - hard work... 555).

Tomorrow the staff will revert back to their old ways, believe me !

When you think you have got a message over to staff, 24 hours later it is all forgotten.

You do but of course it is limited. You are after all a minority in Thailand and the Governments first port of call is to service it's citizens.

Thailand is also undoubtably a xenophobic country, anyone who says otherwise is kidding themselves so they will always limit influence and control from foreigners.

However, if you adopt an easy going attitude and accept that you are no longer in your home country you will find a way to fit in. Most Thai people by and large are friendly and welcoming, smile and most smile back, say hello and start a conversation and most will talk to you, but have your wits about you as with all developing countries some will see you as a potential meal ticket.

My advice is don't worry about your influence, there are many things that can and will frustrate you at times but also many things that you will like (the sense of freedom is very apparent to me). Spend some time here and judge for yourself, but whatever happens try not to take it all too seriously.

LOL

You only need listen to the PARIOTS running around PATTAYA.. The Lady Thai actress.s

Oh lm fine

Bla Bla.... All the same shit from all the same lieing tongues... All there dialogue is our lingo son

They are from dirt floors and running around in western clothing

If you look at the Thai way of thinking (speaking for a good 90% of the population), their news, their newspapers, politics, their behaviour, etc. you can see that what we think and feel doesn't even make a dent. They just give a toss as long as tourist and investor dollars are rolling in. Should they ever start rolling in, we will be blamed for the misery resulting from that. You can create changes to the better perhaps in the family of your wife/girlfriend, but that small circle is where it ends. To most Thais, we are a "necessary nuisance", not more, not less.

yes! in my home country Germany they have and that since decades. and soon their influence will be more with more foreigners entering.

Our former PM is an Italian.

Many government ministers and local councilors are Turkish, Maroccan, Italian.

Our king is from a German family. Our Queens were Spanish, Italian

And our entire lifestyle is determined by an American, Zuckerberg.

Confused nation....Belgium I think....ah well....Confused, I agree, we should never have let Zuckerberg change our culture.

who or what is Zuckerberg? huh.png

Any influence Expats have in thailand is all in the mind,such as "we are guests here" which is pure nonsense,unless someone can show me the invitation card.

The truth of the matter is,you are tolerated in Thailand as long as you have money to spend.... first and foremost!

potential insurgents seems more the flavor of the day.

Unfortunately way,way,way tooooo much...one of the reasons I am here...

Unfortunately not a great attitude...."too many foreigners in my country....so I'll go and be a foreigner in someone else's country" Odd to say the least

In England they do

Moderators please remove racist post

"Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

With a population almost 100% Muslim nowadays, some neighbourhoods of "old Europe" in Brussels, Paris, London and Amsterdam to name a few, are hardly recognisable. Sometimes Sharia is even not far away in those areas. So yes foreigners do have influence in our home country's life,and not for the better, at least for some of us.

Our former PM is an Italian.

Many government ministers and local councilors are Turkish, Maroccan, Italian.

Our king is from a German family. Our Queens were Spanish, Italian

And our entire lifestyle is determined by an American, Zuckerberg.

Confused nation....Belgium I think....ah well....

Confused, I agree, we should never have let Zuckerberg change our culture.

who or what is Zuckerberg? huh.png

Mark Zuckerberg is the founder of Facebook. I took this as humor. Edited by SpokaneAl

Nope, Non, zero, niente, ziillch influence and that is why we love it here biggrin.png

Good Lord I hope we have no influence. Otherwise with all the anti-Thai winging that goes on, it would be no fun here and just like living in whatever over regulated and policed countries we come from.

You have the chance to influence local people you meet. I've had Thai people come up to me and say I have changed their view of ferangs for the positive. Sometimes younger kids will look up to you as a role model, if you teach. Maybe a few will be inspired to take study seriously. Women you meet might be inspired to learn English and to try and find a better life for themselves and their kids through meeting a ferang overseas. Neighbours might scoff at what you do on your land, but might try it if there is an obvious benefit.

What I'm trying to say is that you won't have any influence at the national level, but you might just help improve the standard of living of close family, friends and neighbours. You might have a positive influence on how some people you run across think about Westerners and new ideas. I think the mark of a friend is that you are better off for having known that person.

To answer that question a definate " Yes " So many Cubans settled in Miami after fleeing from Castro run Cuba that all the signs and places had to have Spanish translations . They soon elected a mayor of Miami formerly from Cuba. So many illegal immigrants (foreiners) have crossed over the border from Mexico (some from south America) that now most states have to have bilingual programs to teach them . Huge cost to taxpayers to accomodate these foreigners , provide free health care and housing so yes they have made a huge impact on USA. Over here we have no impact politiocally, Thai don't care what we feel about the way the country is run or any advice we might want to give. The only influance we make is the spending of our money that helps tourist type providers = hotels, restaurants, resorts ect and also the Thai women we marry who get homes , cars , and other monetary benifits of the relationship and their families

Edited by Tony125

only money has influence

The Thai economy, and hence some Thai government decisions, is inulenced by tourism, one of the, if not the largest Thai industry. Tourists, or visitors, stay in Thailand for various amount of time, which range from short term to long term. Since expats generally require a visa of some kind, and visa by it's very definition applies to visitors, then IMHO expats do have some influence on the Thai tourist industry, hence on some Thai government decisions. However, I think that long term expats, to the dismay o some, collectively do not have as much influence as their short term tourist counterparts, who by their vastly superior numbers outspend them.

Unfortunately way,way,way tooooo much...one of the reasons I am here...
Unfortunately not a great attitude...."too many foreigners in my country....so I'll go and be a foreigner in someone else's country" Odd to say the least

Not only odd but with so many coming here..ruining the atmosphere for those who came years ago.