Do Expats have influence in Thailand's life?

sawadee1947

Hello all,

I wonder: in this forum there are so many experienced people most retired. Everybody was working - sometimes even hard - to have a comfortable life in Thailand. Some found a precious person to live with and some enjoy even late days as a father.

And we all discuss different topics on this website. Many topics are about politics.

But make that sense?

Do we have with our discussions any influenece in anything??

Do we have the means to articulate our position?

And last: what can we do to give a slight turn in politics or at least Thai life if desired?

P.S. Would it be easier if you speak Thai? ( I start now to learn)

Appreciate serious answers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't claim to understand all of the OP's questions but many political topics are just people wanting to vent their frustration, ridicule the system or warn others, not make any serious political points. These comments may influence other expats and after all, this is a forum for expats, not Thais. If you wanted to influence other Thais, of course speaking Thai would be advantageous. There was a thread going recently about the plight of some British expats who had been conned out of properties and land. If they'd spent five seconds reading anything on Thaivisa, perhaps their tragic plight could have been avoided.

I think the first stop for you is to learn English.

I think you should understand that not all members of this forum (myself included (but I think that is obvious)) are from an English Speaking Nation

Respect

wai.gif

I agree 100%.

Respect those who speak your language, even with errors, as a second language.

Chances are they speak and understand more languages than you

This is Thaivisa, where some just can not resist showing what A-holes they are and insulting others.

It is kind of sad that there are such miserable people out there.

Chances are they speak and understand more languages than you

I think we need to define "influence".

We do have some.

Some of us influence the economy.

On a personal, one on one basis, we can influence things like education and attitude.

We have very little or no influence on the "big Picture", things like politics, government and culture.

But for me, creating change is not what living in a foreign country is about.

I am here so they can influence me.

Any influence Expats have in thailand is all in the mind,such as "we are guests here" which is pure nonsense,unless someone can show me the invitation card.

The truth of the matter is,you are tolerated in Thailand as long as you have money to spend.... first and foremost!

A post from the "Grammar Police" was removed as were several scathing responses to it.

The General forum is NOT the place for political discussions which is where this post is based.

MOVING this to the Pub (for now). but be aware of forum rule:

5) You will not use Thaivisa as a platform to gather support to effect changes on religious, political, or governmental issues.

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

I think people easily choose to forget we all came here because we chose to. Thailand doesn't have to change to suit us, tho there are many on here would try to argue the point, it is for us to adapt to them and for us to change to fit in here, most of us were aware when we chose to come here we were going to live in a culture not familiar to our own... and of course if its not to ones liking we are free to leave whenever we wish.

I don`t think we have made any influences in Thailand, not enough of us and not given enough say or power to do so. I think it`s the opposite, feel at times under the thumb by the Thais, put in my place and expected to know my place. Always the foreigner and never a real part of the society. I don`t kid myself that I am.

Definitely must be beneficial to speak the language of the countries we are living in.

Think about your home country. Do foreigners have any influence in your "home country's life?"

Our former PM is an Italian.

Many government ministers and local councilors are Turkish, Maroccan, Italian.

Our king is from a German family. Our Queens were Spanish, Italian

And our entire lifestyle is determined by an American, Zuckerberg.

Confused nation....Belgium I think....ah well....

Confused nation....Belgium I think....ah well....

Confused, I agree, we should never have let Zuckerberg change our culture.

In England they do

Really? We're not talking about English citizens of Indian or Arabic descent or Mexican-Americans. We're talking foreigners, i.e., non-citizens. I can tell you that in America, foreigners do not have the same rights as citizens and have almost no influence in terms of policy.

In the UK many years ago, the three things you never talked about when visiting any bar outside your normal area was politics, religion & football.

In many years of travelling and the 18 years i have lived here, i have adopted, and adapted the unwritten above rule-of-thumb to include visited countries to great advantage.

If you believe your need is that great to have your say in how Thailand is run, then apply for citizenship. There have been many, many times over the years when i have wished my home country had the courage to replicate some of the laws here and stand by their convictions to protect their national identity.

But, abiding by the self-imposed rule-of-thumb above, these have been silent wishes..................................wink.png

Plenty of foreigners have had influence here. I'm thinking of people like Bill Heinecke and Harald Link in business, Bill Warren and Marcel Barang in literature, Bruce Gaston and Elsie Evans in the arts, Peter Pannapadipo in education, etc. Even Andrew Biggs, who I always used to take as a figure of fun, has had real positive impact - I meet young Thais all the time who were inspired by him.

But of course all these people have done it through their work, not by whingeing on online forums.

Any influence Expats have in thailand is all in the mind,such as "we are guests here" which is pure nonsense,unless someone can show me the invitation card.

The truth of the matter is,you are tolerated in Thailand as long as you have money to spend.... first and foremost!

I could not agree more with this post. Well said MAJIC.