SIM card crackdown

geovalin

Anyone who purchased a mobile phone SIM card without providing appropriate ID can expect to see those phone numbers terminated, while any retailer selling SIM cards without collecting identification documents faces arrest, the government announced yesterday.

“Telecom operators must tell [existing] customers, including foreigners, that they must complete ID documents within three months or their numbers will be automatically deleted,” Chhay Sinarith, National Police deputy chief, said yesterday at a press conference held jointly with Ministry of Posts and Telecommunications Director-General Mao Chakyra.

He added that 70 per cent of the 20 million or so SIM cards in use in Cambodia, where many residents own more than one, have no ID attached to them, meaning as many as 14 million phone numbers could be discontinued.

read more: http://www.phnompenhpost.com/national

Interesting that this week I have been getting a message to register my sim, or my number will expire, before I make a call. The sim has been registered. Anyone else been getting this?

^ Is it easier to ask some stranger for their experience than go to the shop and re-register?

Actually it was easier to give mobile to wifey who then dialled 1175, and they explained that sim is registered, but now need to register for 3g