BMW F800GS Adv or Triumph Xcx?

BBJ

Correction: BMW F800 GS

I really can't decide on either bike and after scanning many videos and reviews on the BMW, and the few of the Triumph, I'm no clearer on my choice.

I believe in buying a bike you enjoy riding but the lack of dealerships of Triumph does concern me, I've also read the protection on the new Xcx would need up rating to go off road as the standard crash protection bars are inadequate.

I did test ride the BMW 800 a few months ago for a Thai Auto blog and it didn't really impress me as much as I was expecting, but it was on road and jumping back onto my Versys didn't feel bad at all. That being said I did notice the BMW felt extremely light and maneuverable, almost mountain bike fashion which is ideal for trail and light off road.

I'm looking for a motorcycle with more clearance than my Versys for off road and for the riding I have done with my Versys, spoke wheels are essential.

A month ago I was set on the new Triumph, but I'm swaying to the BMW.

I know Bung bought the XCX but has anyone done any reasonable tricky trail runs on the xcx. Interested in the balance of the bike as it seems top weighted.

Opinions appreciated.

Keeping the Versys BMW

Edited by BBJ

I initially had the BMW on order when they were released but got screwed over with the colour choice, zero communication and when triumph announced the xcx at the new price i pulled my deposit with bmw and took it straight over to triumph.

The triumph was always a better bike imo. The bmw was compromised with lower pre load only adjustable suspension and the low seat for the asian market, the xcx has fully adjustable WP suspension front and rear. The bmw came with no protection, the xcx comes with sump, engine and hand guards. Maybe not the best but better than nothing. Triumph also has fly by wire throttle enabling selectable rider modes and cruise control. You would need to spend around 100k on suspension and protection on the bmw.

A lot of reviews said the bmw had the edge off road but the triple is a better engine on road. The triumph is more top heavy, both bikes need some skill to be ridden off road and are hobbled by the road biased tyres as standard.

Its a no brainer between the two which is the better bike.

It'll be interesting to see the new africa twin though! Looks to be a very good bike.

Scratch that list, the Honda Africa Twin has been confirmed and the bike i was hoping for. Price expected in the 5-600k.

^Thanks for the info

I spoke to Honda the other day and they did confirm the release. Prices are not clear but some thai biker forums are claiming a figure of under 500k. Can't see that but you never know. The 1200 crosstourer is 817k so it is possible as the engine has been kept small by using a top and bottom end from 2 different honda bikes i believe.

I believe orders will be taken at the upcoming December Expo

Edited by BBJ