World leaders should hold Prayut to rights, democracy pledges: HRW

webfact

World leaders should hold Prayut to rights, democracy pledges: HRW
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- World leaders, who gathered for the United Nations General Assembly, should urge Thailand's Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, to end repression of human rights and quickly restore democratic civilian rule, Human Rights Watch said in a statement Wednesday.

Prayut is scheduled to speak at the UN General Assembly in New York next Tuesday.

"Thailand's junta leader should get the welcome he deserves at the UN, which is an earful about the junta's abysmal human rights record," said Brad Adams, Asia director at Human Rights Watch.

"The leaders attending the General Assembly should use their meetings with General Prayut to urge an end to the junta's wave of repression and restore democratic civilian rule."

Thailand is campaigning for a non-permanent seat on the United Nations Security Council in an election that will be held in October 2016. While Thailand has promised collaboration with the UN, the junta has frequently raised what it termed Thailand's "unique conditions" to deflect criticism of its human rights violations, the statement said. Its "roadmap" for a return to democratic rule has repeatedly been pushed back.

The General Assembly presents an important opportunity for concerned governments and UN officials to urge Prayut to act immediately on a broad range of human rights concerns, including the military's sweeping and unchecked powers, it said.

"World leaders should not tread lightly in broaching Thailand's rights violations with General Prayut," Adams said. "By being forthright in raising concerns, concerned governments can help reverse the human rights crisis in Thailand and put the country on the path toward civilian democratic rule."

Source: https://app.sproutsocial.com/feeds/twitter/georgebkk/

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-23

Many of the delegates at the UN are just happy to be living in NYC for now, and they will stay out of the spotlight. I hope at least a few delegates have the integrity to make the point, and fairly criticize Thailand's current regime.

Edited by phoenixdoglover

I think the Thai PM is showing bravery in even attending .....the high risk of either the Political forces abroad harming him in word or person are not insignificant.

It's not the safest of environments for someone leading a Nation by seizing power to wander into.

Lets hope for him it's not a deliberate grilling.

I feel words may be said he may not like .

American media will be like sharks on home turf.

Not to mention world media .

He has some spine in going.

But it might not be so pleasant .

Even risk of assassination are present

Edited by Plutojames88

I hope they do grill him. He deserves it. But he also has a short fuse, so it could get very interesting if he is unable to control himself.

Will he try the famous Thai line, 'Do you know who I am?'. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Careful, or he will come back to Thailand, release all his anger on our Nation and SHUT Down the entire network of Thailand...

Two dozen paid Thaksin goons and a few chosen CNN friends could make the experience very memorable .

Loss of face factor is likely.

A temper fit will just send their media into a frenzy .

He isn't a politician he is a general.

By nature used to power and threatening people.

A feminist on a bad day of month in the US being addressed by his temper fit , would eat him up no holds bar.

Completely free to do so.

He will look small and loose massive face back in Thailand .

This visit may well include egg throwers or worse

I certainly envision pay back questions like ""your not a real PM are you mr General ?""

""When are you going to stop holding Thailand hostage ?,, ......another

Edited by Plutojames88

I hope they do grill him. He deserves it. But he also has a short fuse, so it could get very interesting if he is unable to control himself.

Will he try the famous Thai line, 'Do you know who I am?'. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Unlike former PM Thaksin, who, in reply to the UN Council on Human Rights condemning his "extrajudicially killing" of much more than a thousand Thais, in his "war on drugs", was "mind your own business!

Too bad the local media will blank out what response he gets...

HRW? Isn't that the "disturbing" organization that was refused to hold a press conference over their annual report at the Foreign Correspondents Club here?

Edited by Lupatria

well, he will give a nice picture of his junta but not Thailand. Probably we have to check our newspapers/internet to see the reaction at UN. Hopefully there will be no restriction on internet so far with the Great (Fire-)Wall

I think the Thai PM is showing bravery in even attending .....the high risk of either the Political forces abroad harming him in word or person are not insignificant.

It's not the safest of environments for someone leading a Nation by seizing power to wander into.

Lets hope for him it's not a deliberate grilling.

I feel words may be said he may not like .

American media will be like sharks on home turf.

Not to mention world media .

He has some spine in going.

But it might not be so pleasant .

Even risk of assassination are present

Its not bravery, its ignorance ... I hope UN are gonna give him a feeling of being the unwanted clown of the community ...

Your last sentence would be appreciated ...

I Think he has an idea what to expect.....but he's so arrogant, I believe he thinks he'll be well received and seemingly thought to be doing a good job.

Should there be some difficult questions to him about his clamp down on the media and public protestations, and of course the latest gem, the "great firewall" story just released, he'll need some serious self control....something he seriously lacks!

it is not for other governments to pass judgement the pm is doing what he thinks is best for his country a country which has been riddled with corruption for as long as I can remember a country he is trying to cleanse with whatever measures are necessary , there are countries in the western hemisphere with the same problems but one doesn't hear about them.

it is not for other governments to pass judgement the pm is doing what he thinks is best for his country a country which has been riddled with corruption for as long as I can remember a country he is trying to cleanse with whatever measures are necessary , there are countries in the western hemisphere with the same problems but one doesn't hear about them.

They are if they are elected officials who had to raise money, eat bad food, get 2 hours of sleep a night. What is happening now is far worse than that idiotic rice scheme; quashing free speech, intimidation, article 44. There are those who are better and those who are worse. Regardless, he deserves to be told off by those who are better than he is. There is nothing noble is usurping power.

HRW? Isn't that the "disturbing" organization that was refused to hold a press conference over their annual report at the Foreign Correspondents Club here?

Ha ha ha - nice try, but you people need to know that if you want to spread red-shirt propaganda, outright lies are not good enough for the educated people here.

HRW are a political organisation who shamefully hide behind the 'Human Rights' banner to get attention. The truth you are missing is that they REFUSED to hold their annual report in Bangkok because it meant asking the Junta for permission - and they did not want to acknowledge their authority. Since when did any 'Human Rights' organisation make political statements like that ?.

Absolutely disgusting bunch of cronies. That organisation needs a total overhaul before we can take anything they say seriously. The shameful part is that only causes which suit their political agenda get attention : the people who really need them have no one to turn to.

They are if they are elected officials who had to raise money, eat bad food, get 2 hours of sleep a night. What is happening now is far worse than that idiotic rice scheme; quashing free speech, intimidation, article 44. There are those who are better and those who are worse. Regardless, he deserves to be told off by those who are better than he is. There is nothing noble is usurping power.

Quite right : there is nothing noble in the act of a coup.

The noble part was sacrificing his comfortable retirement in order to remove a government murdering it's own citizens on the streets and systematically stealing the wealth of the whole Nation for themselves.

Prayuth will be in danger for the rest of his life and he knows it. Compare that with the egotistical coward who ran away when he got found out for his corruption and then tried to force a disgraceful amnesty bill through via his entire Parliament of dirty cronies because he knows he is guilty of plenty of other things which are stopping him getting back.

btw: Why on earth do you think the rice scheme caused the coup ?. It was the point blank refusal of the government to stop sending terrorists to murder innocent civilians on the streets of Bangkok which did it. I expect red-shirts don't talk about that part.

"By being forthright in raising concerns, concerned governments can help reverse the human rights crisis in Thailand and put the country on the path toward civilian democratic rule."

What human rights crisis.....as compared to who...Egypt?

No one was killed in this coup. I don't think anyone has even been hurt. Yes, some have been hauled off to police headquarters for a lecture on how to behave in sensitive times. Then sent home. So, yeah, some have been inconvenienced by this coup. As have those with a seditionist bent, who have been told to put their bull horns down and keep to small groupings only. But has this affected the average Thai? Does the average Thai even care? No. Seems the element that really takes offense at this current reshaping of Thailand are farang expats (and ivory tower university profs).

And the press still remains pretty wide-open for dialogue, as do forums like this one. Of course the usual caveats about what can't be said remain -- but those existed long before the coup.

No, not a lot for HRW to get their panties tied up about in regards to Thailand, particularly when we see what's going on in the rest of the world.

(But, yeah, if the generals put a China-like stranglehold on the Internet, that would certainly be a step too far.)

Quite right : there is nothing noble in the act of a coup.

The noble part was sacrificing his comfortable retirement in order to remove a government murdering it's own citizens on the streets and systematically stealing the wealth of the whole Nation for themselves.

Prayuth will be in danger for the rest of his life and he knows it. Compare that with the egotistical coward who ran away when he got found out for his corruption and then tried to force a disgraceful amnesty bill through via his entire Parliament of dirty cronies because he knows he is guilty of plenty of other things which are stopping him getting back.

btw: Why on earth do you think the rice scheme caused the coup ?. It was the point blank refusal of the government to stop sending terrorists to murder innocent civilians on the streets of Bangkok which did it. I expect red-shirts don't talk about that part.

Can I have what you're smoking as it seems pretty strong stuff.

"By being forthright in raising concerns, concerned governments can help reverse the human rights crisis in Thailand and put the country on the path toward civilian democratic rule."

What human rights crisis.....as compared to who...Egypt?

No one was killed in this coup. I don't think anyone has even been hurt. Yes, some have been hauled off to police headquarters for a lecture on how to behave in sensitive times. Then sent home. So, yeah, some have been inconvenienced by this coup. As have those with a seditionist bent, who have been told to put their bull horns down and keep to small groupings only. But has this affected the average Thai? Does the average Thai even care? No. Seems the element that really takes offense at this current reshaping of Thailand are farang expats (and ivory tower university profs).

And the press still remains pretty wide-open for dialogue, as do forums like this one. Of course the usual caveats about what can't be said remain -- but those existed long before the coup.

No, not a lot for HRW to get their panties tied up about in regards to Thailand, particularly when we see what's going on in the rest of the world.

(But, yeah, if the generals put a China-like stranglehold on the Internet, that would certainly be a step too far.)

So you are saying that in your own country if someone criticized the government then you would be totally fine for them to be dragged away for attitude adjustment.

The press seems pretty wide open for dialogue. Obviously you do not follow the Thai news and are unaware of what happened recently to the reporter from the Nation.

As for you statement does the average Thai even care? Your answer shows that you have a really low opinion of Thais. Do you really think they don't care about what is happening in their country. More likely they are not going to share their opinion with a farang.

Just another expat who thinks Thais are second class citizens who don't deserve the right to vote.

Edited by Throatwobbler

So you are saying that in your own country if someone criticized the government then you would be totally fine for them to be dragged away for attitude adjustment.

Let's not compare an established Western style democracy with Thailand. Certainly the US, France, others had many rough edges to be worked out as their democracies budded. And I didn't get too excited when Singapore, certainly a country to emulate, arrested its citizens for throwing chewing gum on the sidewalk, or outlawed the Wall Street Journal. A managed democracy in Thailand is probably the closest they'll ever get to that squishy concept called democracy.

Do you really think they don't care about what is happening in their country.

Of course they do. Do *you* really think they're unhappier today than they were a few years back, amongst bombs, bullets, and barricades? Even in the West, tangibles will trump intangibles any day of the week -- except amongst over-the-top idealists.

But some factions, like rice farmers, are unhappier today than in recent times. And Prayut will be blamed for the drought, and any related stumblings of the economy. Tough to have a viable democracy when the voters can't connect all the dots. That's why the managed variety is probably all we can hope for.

Didn't he just tell an ambassador to butt-out of Thailand affairs in no uncertain terms . I thought that was pretty much a message to the rest of the world. dry.png I wonder if it has every occurred to him to look at the world's opinion of the Myanmar military Junta over the years, and then compare and contrast?

Ha ha ha - nice try, but you people need to know that if you want to spread red-shirt propaganda, outright lies are not good enough for the educated people here.

HRW are a political organisation who shamefully hide behind the 'Human Rights' banner to get attention. The truth you are missing is that they REFUSED to hold their annual report in Bangkok because it meant asking the Junta for permission - and they did not want to acknowledge their authority. Since when did any 'Human Rights' organisation make political statements like that ?.

Absolutely disgusting bunch of cronies. That organisation needs a total overhaul before we can take anything they say seriously. The shameful part is that only causes which suit their political agenda get attention : the people who really need them have no one to turn to.

And yet when HRW castigated Thsksin including his drugs war people of your opinion ( and of course many others) praised its integrity and courage.

Now they are a "disgusting bunch of cronies" because in tackling the assault on Thai democracy they offend your sensitivities.

People of good sense however do not take your crude line.They do not pick and choose when organisations like HRW identify abuses.