Power steering kaput, fluid exploded all over my serpentine belt

ClareQuilty

Just as I started bragging about the 30k Peugeot 405, the power steering blew up out on the highway an hour away from home tonight. I didn't even notice it as I was driving a long way down a straight highway, but suddenly the battery/charge light came on - apparently the large amounts of power steering fluid had run down all over the serpentine belt, causing it to slip, including the alternator.

I was a little concerned the water pump might be on this belt, or that slipping (especially if the power steer pump were 'locked up') might cause the belt to break, but neither turned out to be the case... I made it home just fine, though nervously eyeing the charge light and the temperature gauge. The car wasn't even that difficult to drive sans power steering, except for in the parking lot.

I'm wondering, having driven it with the pump dry like that for an hour, I guess there's little chance the pump is still good? I mean assuming the original problem was as I suspect a leak or burst hose, not the pump itself.

Finally, will the serpentine belt be salvageable with some cleaning? It seems to be functioning now, stopped slipping after a little while, but I guess that power steering fluid is not good for it.

I think we need a sub-forum for CQ's Pug issues smile.png

Anyway, the belt is probably toast, the fluid will attack the rubber over time, may as well replace it now before it fails.

The steering pump may or may not be ok. If it was just a hose replace the hose and top up, check for leaks at the pump seals (which are what fails if run dry).

Like I said on one of his other many posts re the Peugeot problems, you buy a junker what do you expect?

. Oh Lord it's Hard to Be Humble.

The days of buying cars that are in need of constant maintenance are long gone for me, thank god.

Gotta love the OP's posts and I have the solution for his problem.

Just buy another 20,000 baht junk car, or try to find some parts and build your own car. You must have gained a lot of knowledge on this website by now,right?

Please, please keep them coming. made my evening to read your post.And made me understand how good my truck is.

You can buy it for only 399,999 bht. Please page me for details.

I think we need a sub-forum for CQ's Pug issues smile.png

Anyway, the belt is probably toast, the fluid will attack the rubber over time, may as well replace it now before it fails.

The steering pump may or may not be ok. If it was just a hose replace the hose and top up, check for leaks at the pump seals (which are what fails if run dry).

Crossy, how much does TVF pay this guy per month? cheesy.gif

Take the belt off and soak in Petrol or solvent cleaner or similar, let dry out, should be okay for now, eventually you need a new belt.

Also clean thoroughly the pulleys and vicinity.

Soo If he needs a new belt eventually, then why go through all the trouble required to remove the current one, clean it and then reinstall the same old belt with an undetermined amount of mileage in the first place? facepalm.gifrolleyes.gif Clare get some brake cleaner in a spray can and thoroughly clean the old belt and surrounding pulleys etc. until you have the chance to replace it or just replace it now, but either way you also need to get the entire engine cleaned.

Gotta love the OP's posts and I have the solution for his problem.

Just buy another 20,000 baht junk car, or try to find some parts and build your own car. You must have gained a lot of knowledge on this website by now,right?

Please, please keep them coming. made my evening to read your post.And made me understand how good my truck is.

You can buy it for only 399,999 bht. Please page me for details.

Eh?? Except that he could do dozens of these jobs over the course of his ownership for much less then what you're asking for your heap and even you've been living in your own repair shop (which I must say has also been much more costly) and STILL ended up spending masses of unnecessary money to repair yours AND the JOB's not even done yet, yeah Clare buy his truck instead whistling.gif . There's NO logic in your post whatsoever.

Edited by WarpSpeed

If TVF was paying him , i think he could afford more than 30K for a car . cheesy.gif. CQ , some of us had old knackers , years ago . Sorting your bike / car problems keeps our brains active . Many enjoy your posts , in a perverse kind of a way . Keep posting , with pictures please .

Thanks guys. Even with these minor problems, these old cars provide incredibly cheap transportation - much cheaper than a new car. Thanks, mainly, to the wonderful Thai mechanics - reasonable rates, true talent at tinkering.

So, speaking of which, the car is now at the shop, where the mechanic says he will either repair the current pump, or, if it can't be made serviceable, he will fit a second-hand pump off of a Toyota Crown. He showed me a BMW in another part of the shop to which he had fitted a similar Crown-pump two years ago and said it was holding strong. Basically its his practice to simply use Toyota parts on everything except for Hondas. :v

BTW, the belt-wheel part of the pump had come off, and the belt was hanging lose, so I suppose that doesn't bode well for either the pump or the belt. I wonder how much such a belt would go for?

Thanks guys. Even with these minor problems, these old cars provide incredibly cheap transportation - much cheaper than a new car. Thanks, mainly, to the wonderful Thai mechanics - reasonable rates, true talent at tinkering.

So, speaking of which, the car is now at the shop, where the mechanic says he will either repair the current pump, or, if it can't be made serviceable, he will fit a second-hand pump off of a Toyota Crown. He showed me a BMW in another part of the shop to which he had fitted a similar Crown-pump two years ago and said it was holding strong. Basically its his practice to simply use Toyota parts on everything except for Hondas. :v

BTW, the belt-wheel part of the pump had come off, and the belt was hanging lose, so I suppose that doesn't bode well for either the pump or the belt. I wonder how much such a belt would go for?

Yes there are still a few Thai mechanics that know what local parts [at breaker yards] will fit any make of car = wonderful and cheap bill.

If TVF was paying him , i think he could afford more than 30K for a car . cheesy.gif. CQ , some of us had old knackers , years ago . Sorting your bike / car problems keeps our brains active . Many enjoy your posts , in a perverse kind of a way . Keep posting , with pictures please .

I had years and years of fixing up old bangers, because I couldn't afford anything decent, constantly worrying would it get me to work in the morning, would it start, how much was it going to cost to get that head reconditioned etc. Thank god I can afford something trouble-free in my retirement. If I want to keep my brain active I'll do a crossword or read a book thanks.

I had years and years of fixing up old bangers, because I couldn't afford anything decent, constantly worrying would it get me to work in the morning, would it start, how much was it going to cost to get that head reconditioned etc. Thank god I can afford something trouble-free in my retirement. If I want to keep my brain active I'll do a crossword or read a book thanks.

Indeed giddyup, my days of constantly keeping old vehicles on the road are over. My weekends are for doing things that I like rather than dropping the box and replacing the clutch so I can get to work on Monday. I need a car that starts when I turn the key and just requires fuel and fluids along with the occasional visit to the dealer to be serviced.

OK, in reality my weekends are spent putting up ceilings, wiring, plumbing and other DIY stuff. But I do have a good "man" who once shown what I want and pointed at the tools and materials just gets on with it. We spent last weekend putting up about 30% of a Shera board ceiling, will do more this weekend, he's bringing an assistant this time so I'll be reduced to 'supervising'. More like GSETDI (Get Someone Else To Do It) than DIY.

In the old days you always took a good tool kit everywhere with you + a few odds and ends to fix most thing.. of course jump leads and a tow rope.. + left to go anywhere with loads of time to spare + had a good knowledge of where all the scrap yards were on your route

Problem with the modern car, you cant get at anything, often cannot even see anything and need a PC. so there is still a lot to be said about the older cars

^ Or harass others on TV. rolleyes.gif That's good for you but HE'S not living YOUR life he's living HIS life..

Clare the belt may have spun off with all of the lubricating fluid all over it, being off may have SAVED your pump so not all is bad yet.

Kerrysum; Peugeot haven't been sold in the US market for almost 25 years they pulled out in the early 90's

Edited by WarpSpeed

In the old days you always took a good tool kit everywhere with you + a few odds and ends to fix most thing.. of course jump leads and a tow rope.. + left to go anywhere with loads of time to spare + had a good knowledge of where all the scrap yards were on your route

Problem with the modern car, you cant get at anything, often cannot even see anything and need a PC. so there is still a lot to be said about the older cars

Still do and always will, can't stand having to rely on someone else or getting stranded, no car is break down proof.

Edited by WarpSpeed

^ Or harass others on TV. rolleyes.gif That's good for you but HE'S not living YOUR life he's living HIS life..

Clare the belt may have spun off with all of the lubricating fluid all over it, being off may have SAVED your pump so not all is bad yet.

Kerrysum; Peugeot haven't been sold in the US market for almost 25 years they pulled out in the early 90's

Who's harassing who? Didn't realise we weren't allowed to comment or compare on our own likes, dislikes, preferences etc. If he wants to spend his time and money keeping a junker on the road, up to him. You've never been backward at voicing your opinion, allow me the same liberty.

Edited by giddyup