Gulf of Thailand: Four missing sea men still unaccounted for

webfact

Four missing sea men still unaccounted for

196-wpcf_728x413.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Search for the four missing crewmen of a container ship that sunk in the Gulf of Thailand last Saturday that was still being actively carried out yesterday failed to locate them.

But the containers which went afloat and drifted in the sea would be all salvaged and brought to shore by today.

The Sixth Region Office of Harbor Department based in Samut Prakarn carried out search for the four missing crewmen from the Pathra Marine 5 cargo ship that capsized and sank.

The search joined by the personnel from the coast guard has been tasked to search an area beginning from the Bang Pu coast to the Ban Khun Samut Chin village amid heavy rains that fell late in the evening.

Meanwhile relatives of the missing men also gathered at the harbour office lighting candles and incense asking for the blessing of ‘Phra Mae Khong Kha’ (river goddess) to allow the men to be found regardless of their condition.

As for the 23 containers that drifted in the seas, the director of the Samut Prakarn harbor office Mr Surat Sirisaiyas said that 20 have managed to be loaded onto transport ships but have not been able to be put ashore due to time constraints.

The delay was to allow the massive cranes brought in to assist in the salvage effort to load all the remaining containers and he estimates that all the containers will be put ashore by 8.00 pm Wednesday.

He also said a meeting would be held today to decide on plans for the search and rescue efforts for the missing crewmen as well to the possibility of refloating the sunken vessel.

The meeting will also be attended by representatives from the insurers of the sunken vessel as the decision to refloat the craft concerns them and will also critically depend on weather conditions.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/four-missing-sea-men-still-unaccounted-for

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-09-24

actually not good to make a joke about missing people... sorry.

You are correct.

They managed to rescue all the shipping containers.

Methinks thoughts of the missing people were put on the back burner.

Still.......the headline is horribly written.

it is strange, I know when I went out to one of the cargo ships used by the company my wife manages I talked to the captain and asked why they didnt come into port, he told me that where they were there was only 1 metre of water under the keel and that the gulf was too shallow for them to go any further into it, that was not far from Koh Tao