Bangkok blast: Suspect 'confesses' he planted Erawan shrine bomb

webfact

ERAWAN BOMB BLAST
Suspect 'confesses' he planted shrine bomb

THE NATION

30269521-01_big.jpg

Police looking for clinching evidence to prove Adem Karadag was the bomber in yellow t-shirt

BANGKOK: -- ADEM KARADAG, the foreigner arrested late last month in connection with the Erawan Shrine bombing, has confessed that he was the man who planted the explosive device that killed 20 people and injured 100 others on August 17.

Karadag, or Bilal Muhammed, has confessed that he was the man who planted the bomb at the shrine, according to a source familiar with the ongoing police investigation.

He told police that after placing his backpack containing the explosive device at the shrine, he hired a motorcycle taxi to Lumpini Park. He then removed his wig, glasses and armbands before changing into new clothes, according to the source.

Police investigators have studied security-camera recordings that show a man who looked like the bomber entering a toilet in Lumpini Park, which is just a few minutes' ride from Erawan Shrine.

The video showed the man caught on CCTV in a yellow T-shirt before and after he entered the toilet.

Police took Karadag to different locations associated with the bomb attack to confirm his confession, according to the source.

Investigators found that Karadag looked like the man in the video who went to Lumpini Park to change his clothes, the source said.

The man has become more cooperative with the investigators and has given them more information that was helpful to the probe, the source said.

Meanwhile, Karadag's lawyer, Chuchart Kanpai, yesterday said his client has insisted that he is not the bomber. He challenged the police claim that Karadag has confessed that he had planted the bomb.

National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang yesterday declined to confirm that Karadag was the bomber. But he said he believed the police had evidence to prove so.

"For me, Thai police are the best in the world. I believe police have evidence, but I can't disclose anything further about this," he said.

The police chief said that judging from the amount of bomb-making materials found in possession of the suspects in this case, it appeared they were making more than 10 explosive devices. It was fortunate for Thailand that those people were arrested before the bombs were planted, he added.

"If all those 10 explosive devices had been planted, they would have caused massive damage to Thailand. Thanks to all the sacred beings, the country was spared from disaster," Somyot said.

However, he also said that despite Karadag's confession, investigators would still need confirmation with more clinching evidence.

"The investigators are confident that Adem was the bomber but they still cannot be conclusive from the CCTV images," Somyot said.

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday that DNA tests would be required to confirm that Karadag was the bomber.

He said that the authorities were not attempting to close the case and that it should be dealt with in accordance with evidence.

He said the confession could not prove that the man was the real bomber.

Metropolitan Police chief Lt-General Sriwara Rangsiphra-manakul yesterday said the investigation into the case was 90 per cent complete.

Commenting on Karadag's reported confession, he said that the investigators would need more evidence to strengthen their case against the suspect, as confession was insufficient to prove in court.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/national/Suspect-confesses-he-planted-shrine-bomb-30269521.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-25

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Commenting on Karadag's reported confession, he said that the investigators would need more evidence to strengthen their case against the suspect, as confession was insufficient to prove in court."

HUH???? Seems to have worked on Koh Tao so far.

does he still have all his toenails attached, and no missing nuts ?

Water-boarding leaves no traces, except in the victim's mind.

Glad they are looking for further evidence though & not just running with some tortured confession.......Like they seem to be doing at the Samui courthouse.

National police chief General Somyot Poompanmuang yesterday declined to confirm that Karadag was the bomber. But he said he believed the police had evidence to prove so.

"For me, Thai police are the best in the world. I believe police have evidence, but I can't disclose anything further about this," he said.

Best in the world at ...................

Almost seems pointless to have trials here as the BIB lay out all the supposed evidence long before a suspect is charged.

Just as well they make the rules up as they go along as nothing ever seems to be sub judice and the occasional ' can't talk about that ' assertion is a joke as the BIB just can't stop talking.

Thai police are the best in the world 5555t5. Seriously the only thing that shows is that he has obviously never been anywhere else.

Frightening levels of delusion, stupidity, and the rest. Needs to pull his head out of his @r$e it seems

Let's hope they have the right man.

This guy was caught with explosive devices when he was arrested and by all accounts was not cooperative at all.

If he is the man, one must congratulate the Thai Police.

It was a neighbour who lived in the same building as the bomber who tipped the police. Then the police gave the reward of 3 million to themselves.clap2.gif

Seems that all the missing jigsaw pieces in this crime are suddenly falling perfectly into place...........so nice whistling.gif .

The police chief said Thai police are the best in the world, so game set and reward, plus wait there is more, more reward money from Thaksins son to divvy up, not to share with Malaysia, however this is looking more likely to be Mr Bomber.

it was claimed that he entered the country after the bomb by his lawyer

obviously this has been proven wrong by the best police force in the world

Not to mention, that if Malaysia holds the real bomber the best police force in the world would have to give back reward money and pay outstanding reward moneys to Malaysian Police whistling.gif

... For me, Thai police are the best in the world. I believe police have evidence, but I can't disclose anything further about this," he said. ...

This also applies to the handsomely rewarded police involved with the Kho Tao unraveling prosecution murder investigation. The Thai police have loads of evidence and it doesn't really matter that it is mostly fabricated, fake or non-existent.

Police work that you cannot trust since they EXTRACT a CONFESSION from the arrested man

Why do I not trust the Thai Police? Must have something to do with interrogation techniques

Human Instinct, or the third eye, they have this inbuilt sonar and mind reading ability to say that most reported deaths are suicide b4 the forensic ever comes.

Thats why they are the best in the world.wai2.gif

Best in the world at ...................

Thank god we're in such excellent hands!! wai.gifcheesy.gifwai.gif

Seems quite damning to me, footage of the bomber entering a toilet, out comes with changed clothes and no wig, glasses or armbands, he looks very much like Karadag, then CCTV footage of Karadag wearing the same clothes arriving at his condo.

That and the evidence of bomb making makes it a slam dunk.

Let's hope they have the right man.

This guy was caught with explosive devices when he was arrested and by all accounts was not cooperative at all.

If he is the man, one must congratulate the Thai Police.

It was a neighbour who lived in the same building as the bomber who tipped the police. Then the police gave the reward of 3 million to themselves.clap2.gif

Just like how they found the Indonesian bomber Kimbali hiding in Ayutthya when a neighbour recognised his photograph !

Somehow I am convinced that this poor guy Adem Karadag has nothing to do with the bombing.

The picture of the yellow shirted man shows a different person, the body constitution is clearly different, isn't it?

The yellow shirted man is more slim.