Thai editorial: Fight against corruption is halfway up the mountain

webfact

Halfway up the mountain? Heck, that's the easy part. Now to traverse the glaciers, ice-fields, crevasses, then the 80 degree shear face up the cliff to the top. They haven't even started the difficult climb. They are all still at the base camp drinking Kaow Laow and patting themselves on the backs.

Edited by connda

"we can take heart in signs that the effort is at least underway"

Another sycophantic explanation for kissing the juntas bottom by declaring another step in the right direction is being considered for a new committee that will decide if the issue can be resolved by a panel of experts who will vote on a referendum to decide if a feasibility study is in order.

What do you expect from a newspaper who threw one of it's senior journalists under a bus?

I guess its inevitable that this will attract cynical comments, after all Thailand is plagued with corruption from the very top down through all levels in society.

However, I am encouraged by the words here at least. It is a massive task that will take a sustained attack for many years to get it under control by global standards but if they push hard at the beginning then they could create a snowball effect.

For sure there will need to be some very public arrests at the highest levels with appropriate punishment for people to get the message that change is coming (and here) so I will watch and hope that this happens.

In the meantime if you are a cynic (like me) perhaps for once we should applaud what they are doing and show our support..

So, good luck to them, I'm all for them cleaning up Thailands thieves.

Corruption is here to stay.Only fools see anything being done about it. Every coup does the same gets rid of the elected government. Usually disbands the elected party and tries to destroy the finances of the members of the party. Prepares for a government that the coup people want and transfer the power over to their preferred government.

About 20 years ago I was in Pitsanulok. I was introduced to a man that had held a seat in parliament in Thailand when Reagan was president of US. I am not sure now but believe he was a member of the Chart Thai party.While in government he did quite well. He had a chain of small stores all over Bangkok much like 7/11. He had pictures on his wall of getting off the plane in the US and shaking hands with Reagan.(The present Prime Minister only got greeted by some Thais at his hotel). He was doing ok. A coup displaced his party. In 3 months he lost everything,but got out of Bangkok with no harm to him or his family. He was living in Wong Thong in a small 2 bedroom house with his wife 3 daughters and one grandchild., they were barely surviving. He went back to politics but didnot survive the second time. Last I heard he was in Isaan making and selling distilled liquor.(white whiskey) He was a victim of getting rid of corruption. So how do we still have the corruption problem today if they eliminated years ago.

When the purge is over they will stop.Same as always. There used to have ethnic cleansing in Europe before Hitler, that is one of the reasons he got so far before anyone saw the problem. But of course Thailand is different than Germany.and any comparison would be wrong.

Halfway up the mountain, or swimming against a ferocious current?

More like up shit creek without a paddle!

In a sad reflection on Thai culture, symbols of corruption in the country’s recent history are currently on display, as a “ …grim reminder in palpable form of how woeful the situation is”.

In this article, we are told that the government has ‘declared war’ on corruption. Further, to win this war, it is suggested that authorities must enforce existing laws so that corrupt officials are punished regardless of their political affiliation or social status.

Fine rhetoric, but the reality (if this is a war) is that suspected offenders continue to be transferred to inactive posts (rather than become PoW’s for the duration)!

Now, I suggest that Deputy PM Somkid should restrict his involvement to stimulating the country’s economy if the best he can offer to the debate is to blame everyone else (but the government) for the corruption problem.

By making statements such as, “ …If the private sector doesn't offer bribes, officials will have no bribes to accept", he contradicts what he himself said in November 2013 that, “ …the people begin to lose trust in the government because of its mistakes, including the populist policies and the increased corruption”.

Reminds me of the classic Yes Minister episode, in which Jim Hacker says, “Are you saying that winking at corruption is government policy”? To which, Sir Humphrey Appleby replies,No, no, Minister! It could never be government policy. That is unthinkable! Only government practice”. (Series Three (1982) Episode Four: The Moral Dimension).

Unfortunately, this article stumbles somewhat by including some bizarre comparison of Thailand’s endemic corruption to that of New Zealand.

To set a good example the Police chief and The PM are going to come forward and explain just how they became multi USD millionaires on a Thai government salary, they are going to explain the miraculous powers bestowed upon those reaching certain levels of the food chain in Thai society, the powers that allow them to be so insanely rich yet still keep their position when all around can see the corruption.

Anybody would think they are allowed to get away with it because they protect the few Elite at the very top of Thai society from the majority poor in what should be a wealthy country where all benefit, not just a few.

Broken Record..... Please , words are cheap.... where is your proof that these guys are $$$ multi-millionaires.

There will always be more Indians than Chiefs...... Be happy for them and lose that chip off your shoulder.

Karma has a strange way of working..! wai2.gif

You must be new here.

Rich junta bigshots: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Nine-NLA-members-opposed-to-asset-disclosure-worth-30244758.html

Prayut angry over being asked about his family wealth: http://www.chiangraitimes.com/prayuth-on-defensive-over-familys-600-million-baht-property-sale.html

Prayut explaining he's too busy to investigate suspicious dealings involving his brother and others: http://thediplomat.com/2014/10/thai-junta-beset-by-corruption-scandals/

I guess its inevitable that this will attract cynical comments, after all Thailand is plagued with corruption from the very top down through all levels in society.

However, I am encouraged by the words here at least. It is a massive task that will take a sustained attack for many years to get it under control by global standards but if they push hard at the beginning then they could create a snowball effect.

For sure there will need to be some very public arrests at the highest levels with appropriate punishment for people to get the message that change is coming (and here) so I will watch and hope that this happens.

In the meantime if you are a cynic (like me) perhaps for once we should applaud what they are doing and show our support..

So, good luck to them, I'm all for them cleaning up Thailands thieves.

Aside from a few temporary crackdowns for show, what has the junta done to fight corruption? Transparency in government spending? Regular financial disclosures from all responsible government officials? Strict conflict of interest laws? Anything?

The corrupt currently in power are not putting a dent in the existing systemic corruption. The Malaysian pm stole at least 700 million as reported by the Wall Street Journal and because he used Wells Fargo the FBI is now investigating. Malaysia is important enough to upgrade its TIP classification and is part of the TPP. Thailand has no such significance and I wonder how much a certain imbecile in this county has stollen, my guess is way more than 700 million. It would be great if the FBI investigated him also.

Farangs go along with low level corruption all the time. Wife wants a driving licence, but too useless to pass even a Thai test, no problem. 3,000 baht for the VIP special test, pass. Bang to rights on a traffic offence, can't be bothered to look for the police station to settle a ticket, yes a spot fine is alright officer, We all do it and connive in the system when it suits us.

Farangs go along with low level corruption all the time. Wife wants a driving licence, but too useless to pass even a Thai test, no problem. 3,000 baht for the VIP special test, pass. Bang to rights on a traffic offence, can't be bothered to look for the police station to settle a ticket, yes a spot fine is alright officer, We all do it and connive in the system when it suits us.

Farangmick

You make a fair and accurate comment on the status quo in this country!

But, is it not that we choose to do so in Thailand (and not in our home country) because w know that the local culture allows us to do so, and probably currently expects it, while our home culture typically does not?

Imagine how far would we get in Thailand if we said no, I want to do things to the letter of the law? I'm sure most TV-followers would agree that the answer would be "not very far".

Whilst this may implicate us (farangs), in this nation's addiction to corruption, it does not excuse the simple fact that the laws should still be there, and they should still be obeyed and enforced ­─ to smack us on the wrist (rather than reaching out to take our backhander)!

This can only be driven from the top down, but alas it just does not seem to be the case. Thailand is still at risk of becomming a potentially failed state, which was the warning issued by Khun Somkid back in November 2013, due to what he believed were weak state mechanisms, and conflicts between the legislative and judicial branches among other things.

Regardless of what Somkid now says, i.e. that, "If the private sector doesn't offer bribes, officials will have no bribes to accept", officials should not take bribes!

Well I don't and won't. f I commit a driving offence then I pay the fine. what I really despise is getting stopped by the lovely RTP and told not enough air in my tyre, didn't signal (in the same lane for 3 mile), speeding (which I wasn't) The corruption as many have clearly stated is ingrained and rank. This article is a kiss ass load of rubbish. In my view they haven't even started to climb the hill never mind half way there. Firstly stop having coups every time you don't like the party that won. That's a start of stopping corruption and then deal with the rest, bit by bit.