Tennis Elbow Treatment - Success at last!

jimmybkk

Having suffered from tennis elbow (lateral epicondylitis) with varying degrees of severity for almost 2 years I know how frustrating it can be. I tried the stretching, cortisone injection and arm strap/brace and nothing seemed to make much of a difference, and i figured I would probably end up having surgery to fix it. It recently began to appear in my other arm as well so I searched online for any new treatments or suggestions and came across something called Shockwave Therapy that was receiving favourable reviews. It basically involves firing high intensity sound waves at the affected area and uses the same technology used to break up kidney stones. For some reason it has been shown to be effective with repairing tendon damage in certain cases.

I just finished my first course of therapy - 3 sessions, 1 per week over 3 weeks - and I can say that so far I am extremely happy with the results. The pain/discomfort has almost entirely gone from both elbows already. It is a huge improvement. I plan to continue with some hot compresses and stretching for a couple of weeks before i attempt anything strenuous, and it's early days yet, but the signs are looking very promising, so if anyone is suffering from tennis elbow and is unsure of what treatment to try, I would suggest you give shockwave therapy a go. I have read that it can be effective for anywhere between 65-85% of sufferers.

I had my treatment at the Bangkok Hospital Pattaya. Cost was 600 Baht for initial doctor's consultation, then 1,250 Baht per session (per elbow), and another 600 Baht doctor's consultation at the end. They suggest it can take up to 3 courses (9 sessions) to see a complete recovery, and I guess if it shows no signs of improvement after that then you are one of the unlucky 15-35% that it doesn't work for. Each session lasts around 15 minutes and I would describe the sensation of the treatment as mildly uncomfortable and they can adjust the "volume" according to what level of discomfort you can bear.

Hopefully this may help some other sufferers out there.

Thanks Jimmy, I might just give that a try, I suffer horribly with tennis elbow and I was hoping an answer like yours might pop up one day. I'll report back in due course.

EDIT to add:

I've just researched shockwave therapy on the web, sadly the findings are not good, you may wish to read:

http://www.cochrane.org/CD003524/MUSKEL_shock-wave-therapy-for-elbow-pain

Edited by chiang mai

Thanks Jimmy, I might just give that a try, I suffer horribly with tennis elbow and I was hoping an answer like yours might pop up one day. I'll report back in due course.

EDIT to add:

I've just researched shockwave therapy on the web, sadly the findings are not good, you may wish to read:

I think it's a case of some treatments working for some people and not for others, iv'e had people tell me that Acupuncture worked for them and others tell me that Massage / Physio worked but neither have worked for me.

Iv'e recently been to see Dr Chanakarn who also has the same problem of which he couldn't find any cure so i left his clinic thinking if an orthopedic Doctor / Surgeon can't cure himself what chance have the rest of us.

Congrats on finding something that works. The thing about a tennis elbow is that it can spontaneously get better. This isn't a proven method of treatment. The successful treatment may have been coincidental.

I was going to recommend Gabapentin to anyone that is dealing with chronic/persistent pain. I think this should be the first treatment that you try. It works.

http://www.kamalala.com/gaba-is-the-drug-for-chronic-pain/

Don't ask me how it works. A good gyropractor helps you get rid if it. Mostly the remedy is by attacking some (muscle) points in the neck.

A gyropractor knows about the interconnections in your body and he/she would last do is treat your elbow as such.

I had a 'neck problem'. Turning my head to look up made me dizzy. Regular medic took x ray of my neck and concluded that some neck joints had worne out.

Went to Dr. Philippe, working those days at Nong Hoi hospital Chiang Mai. What a surprise...he pressed on a joint in the pubic bone region and I was almost instantly cured.

'Almost' means that some problems in your body seem to re-occur, so I had to visit him a couple of times. He then adviced me to do special exercises (can ask me) and all my troubles are gone since then.

Regular medical science is not always what it seems.

Try using a Thera-Band Flex Bar. I had tennis and golfer's elbow in both elbows from lifting weights. Very, very painful in both arms. I looked on-line for a cure since acupuncture did not work or cortisone shots. I found the answer with these flex bars. You can buy them from Amazon or Ebay or anyone else. Around $13. I saw the thousands of great reviews and decided to try it. I watched the exercise videos on YouTube for tennis and golfer's elbow. Dr. Timothy Tyler invented these exercises. You have to do them 3 times a day for 6 weeks. It takes about 4 minutes to do the exercises. I can honestly say, all pain was gone after 6 weeks. But you must follow through with it for the 6 weeks, 3 times per day. Mine came back after a while when I stopped using it for a few months, but I am doing it again and it is going away. Just keep it up once or twice a day after the pain is gone if you don't want it to come back to haunt you. Good Luck

If it is Tennis Elbow and it is caused by playing tennis, consider taking tennis lessons from a "good" instructor.

Bad form on your tennis swing causes tennis elbow. I have been taking lessons from a very good instructor in Pattaya. He stresses good from on the swing. Says that my tennis elbow will not return if I use proper form. Seems to be working.

The right kind of manual therapy - sports massage/cross fiber friction/myofascial release - can can break up the mats of adhesions (very small scar tissue inside the body) that can cause this problem. That is probably what the Shockwave treatment is designed to do. Following up with an exercise program such as the Thera-Ban and improving how you use the elbow would support that manual therapy. Unfortunately, that is not an easy kind of treatment to find in Thailand. Some Western (especially Australian) trained local physios might do this. Best bet to find someone like this is at a specialized sports medicine clinic.

Try a meat-tenderizing hammer on the ankle opposite to the offending elbow - three quick, but firm whacks. Guaranteed, you'll find relief from the elbow pain...

Ok, ok, I'm not a doctor, but I PLAY doctor regularly. And my solution is at least as good as consulting a 'gyropractor', whatever the hell that is...a Greek guy who wraps mixed meats around your limbs?

Whats a gyropractor? ....Hound is right on the money. Pro's dont get tennis elbow. Pro

golfers dont have anywhere near the number of injuries as weekend warriors either.

I see some Thai docs saying they are sports med practioners but would be very hard to believe it.

To the poster of the other thread asking if he should practise medicine here if he passed the Thai Medical Board Exam....I would suggest a year or three getting certified in Sports Med and using it here.

Whats a gyropractor? ....Hound is right on the money. Pro's dont get tennis elbow. Pro

golfers dont have anywhere near the number of injuries as weekend warriors either.

I see some Thai docs saying they are sports med practioners but would be very hard to believe it.

To the poster of the other thread asking if he should practise medicine here if he passed the Thai Medical Board Exam....I would suggest a year or three getting certified in Sports Med and using it here.

As he mentioned Dr Philip, I presume he means chiropractor.

I worked as a tyre fitter in the mining industry for 25 tears using high impact "guns" to unscrew the wheel nuts. Ended up with tennis and golf elbow. Insurance offered me money to go away. Eventually saw a surgeon. He told me about a treatment. Fold up a tea towel to a small elongated cloth. Rotate the cloth in opposing directions with your arms out in front at full stretch. Do this even though it hurts your elbow for about 5 minutes and three times a day. (I now mangle the steering wheel when I drive). It took several months but it stopped the pain. Cant talk about shock wave therapy, but if it works, go for it

Congrats on finding something that works. The thing about a tennis elbow is that it can spontaneously get better. This isn't a proven method of treatment. The successful treatment may have been coincidental.

I was going to recommend Gabapentin to anyone that is dealing with chronic/persistent pain. I think this should be the first treatment that you try. It works.

Re. "I was going to recommend Gabapentin to anyone that is dealing with chronic/persistent pain. I think this should be the first treatment that you try. It works."

Maybe that too is coincidental.

As he mentioned Dr Philip, I presume he means chiropractor.

Yes, sorry about that. Should have checked the dictionairy.

It seems strange that you would recommend Gabapentin which can be a very dangerous drug yet often rail against the use of Tylenol (paracetamol)!!!!

This drug is used primarily for seizures and anxiety disorders and there is weak evidence to suggest that it might help only 10% of the people who take it for fibromyalgia.

Paracetamol when used in the correct doses is perfectly safe and is one of the most researched drugs around at the moment, yet the one you recommend still has many question marks hanging over it and they don't fully understand how it works.

I had tennis elbow cured in a few days, by doing this exercise, which a doctor showed me.

To stretch your left elbow, stand up, left arm hanging down, palm facing out to the left, and left elbow facing out to the left., Grab your left hand with your right hand, palm to palm, fingers entwined, Pull your left hand up with your right hand, keep elbow straight, ( your left arm will probably drift more to the center of your body.)

Like I said, cured me in a few days.

EDIT to add:

With all due respect chiang mai, I'm offering a first-hand account of my experience of beneficial results from a course of treatment that finished 3 days ago and you're suggesting I read a 10-year old report suggesting shockwave therapy is ineffective... I don't really get your point. Do you think the pain will return if I read that report?

I've posted that shockwave therapy happened to work for me (at least for now). You can read all kinds of reports saying that test results of shockwave therapy are inconclusive or that placebos produced just as good results as the real shockwave therapy - what i think is more relevant is that there appear to be no reports that confirm shockwave therapy does not work, nor is anyone suggesting that here are any adverse effects to trying shockwave therapy.

I guess we all have different goals, but my goal was to find a treatment that would alleviate the pain and discomfort i was feeling and it appears I achieved that.goal. I do not care whether the treatment that worked for me is fully endorsed and recognized as being effective by any authorities or anyone else for that matter. Heck, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to learn that in fact the doctors had administered a placebo treatment instead of the real shockwave therapy.

It cost me 5,000 Baht and about 45 minutes of my time to find out for myself whether shockwave therapy would work for me, and I see it as the best 5,000 Baht I ever spent. Instead of relying on reports from others and guesswork, why not take the plunge and spend 5,000 Baht to find out it works for you. No-one's ever going to offer you a money-back guarantee that it will work, but it could be the best 5,000 Baht you ever spent too...You won't know unless you give it a try.

Regarding the argument that tennis elbow gets better on its own eventually anyway and so the success of the treatment may have been coincidental, is that not an argument that can be used against any treatment of this condition? I think it is a weak argument at the best of times, but in this case I was experiencing the condition in both arms with the pain appearing in the 2nd arm around one and a half years after it appeared in the first arm (i.e apparently unrelated to a specific event). The fact that the pain is now 95% gone from both arms within a few days of completing a course of shockwave therapy suggests to me that it is way more far-fetched to believe that both arms happened to heal themselves at the same time as I was receiving shockwave therapy than it is to think that the therapy played a significant part in the improvement I am experiencing.

I had tennis elbow cured in a few days, by doing this exercise, which a doctor showed me.

To stretch your left elbow, stand up, left arm hanging down, palm facing out to the left, and left elbow facing out to the left., Grab your left hand with your right hand, palm to palm, fingers entwined, Pull your left hand up with your right hand, keep elbow straight, ( your left arm will probably drift more to the center of your body.)

Thanks for this tip. That stretch really does seem to target the problem area. I will incorporate this into my stretching exercises.

EDIT to add:

With all due respect chiang mai, I'm offering a first-hand account of my experience of beneficial results from a course of treatment that finished 3 days ago and you're suggesting I read a 10-year old report suggesting shockwave therapy is ineffective... I don't really get your point. Do you think the pain will return if I read that report?

I've posted that shockwave therapy happened to work for me (at least for now). You can read all kinds of reports saying that test results of shockwave therapy are inconclusive or that placebos produced just as good results as the real shockwave therapy - what i think is more relevant is that there appear to be no reports that confirm shockwave therapy does not work, nor is anyone suggesting that here are any adverse effects to trying shockwave therapy.

I guess we all have different goals, but my goal was to find a treatment that would alleviate the pain and discomfort i was feeling and it appears I achieved that.goal. I do not care whether the treatment that worked for me is fully endorsed and recognized as being effective by any authorities or anyone else for that matter. Heck, it wouldn't bother me in the slightest to learn that in fact the doctors had administered a placebo treatment instead of the real shockwave therapy.

It cost me 5,000 Baht and about 45 minutes of my time to find out for myself whether shockwave therapy would work for me, and I see it as the best 5,000 Baht I ever spent. Instead of relying on reports from others and guesswork, why not take the plunge and spend 5,000 Baht to find out it works for you. No-one's ever going to offer you a money-back guarantee that it will work, but it could be the best 5,000 Baht you ever spent too...You won't know unless you give it a try.

Regarding the argument that tennis elbow gets better on its own eventually anyway and so the success of the treatment may have been coincidental, is that not an argument that can be used against any treatment of this condition? I think it is a weak argument at the best of times, but in this case I was experiencing the condition in both arms with the pain appearing in the 2nd arm around one and a half years after it appeared in the first arm (i.e apparently unrelated to a specific event). The fact that the pain is now 95% gone from both arms within a few days of completing a course of shockwave therapy suggests to me that it is way more far-fetched to believe that both arms happened to heal themselves at the same time as I was receiving shockwave therapy than it is to think that the therapy played a significant part in the improvement I am experiencing.

I said you "may wish to read", not that you really should or must read!

And the reason that I thought you "may wish to read" is because I thought it interesting, as indeed I thought you might also, that medical science finds shockwave to be an unproven cure. And like you I don't give a toss whether medical science gives a particular treatment the gold seal or not, if it works for me then fine, be it a genuine remedy a placebo or a psychosomatic cure.

So, no, I don't think your pain will come back if you read the report (actually it could if indeed it were a psychosomatic cure, but that's another story), not that report nor any other related ones, I just thought you might find it interesting. If you don't, don't read it!

A golfball, tennis ball & one of those spring/grips that look like a clothespeg or nutcrackers did it for me. Roll the golfball hard using your bodyweight over the back of your forearm while resting the arm flat on a desk. Use the tennis ball to do the underside (ie arm on top of the ball). Keep the 'nutcracker' nearby all day (TV chair, Computer desk, in bed!) & spend a few mins on it whenever pain needs attention.

Edit: One of these under the pillow really did the trick while trying to sleep smile.png

handgrip.jpg

Edited by evadgib

I went looking for places here that do Shockwave and in the meantime, I did the exercise you suggested.

Absolutely brilliant, it cured 80% of the problem within two/three days and my elbow/forearm is slowly returning to normal, this following four months of real agony at times.

I am really really grateful for your post, many thanks.

I had that so know what you are going through. Had the injection and medications but none helped.

I went and had acupuncture and have not had any return of the tennis elbow. Make sure you get a good doctor to do the acupuncture.

I hope this helps ND GOOD LUCH

• 4 weeks later...

I made a lot of sports in my life about 30 years handball, 15 y squash, racebiking, Fußball, Alpin Skiing etc. I was only 1 time serious insured with a "Charley Horse" (Pferdekuss) only treatment some balm. I was young and stupid enough and tried after 1 month a full training, then I had a half year pause. Anyway with about 50 years I helped a friend to install an new roof on his old house. We was renewing the entire wood construction. Simple said I had been 2 days hammering. The problem was, I was not used to such a long time hammering, as an office worker. I got an serious Tennisarm(Elbow). I consulted over month, 3 doctors. The 1. a sport mate gave me infrared rays and some electric stimulation, does'nt worked. 2. doctor some different balm cure and some massage between, this made it worse. The 3. said he have to make an operation, while telling me an abstruse story, what he would do, I denied. Then my last hope was an old friend who was a Homeopath and Chiropractor. I called him so late, caused he lived far away. Anyway he told me the best treatment about the Musculoskeletal System is warm Salt Water, but don't move your arm the first week while doing this treatment. I had luck it was only 2 weeks to my long holiday in Thailand. I arrived in Phuket, on first day I had start the cure. Stupid as I was, I tried to swim just slow easy breast style, but this was hopeless, caused of a lot of pain. Anyway only 1 proper solution left, I was going in the sea water up to my shoulder and was walking up and down along the beach and for sure looked also after the girls during this treatment. 1 made this procedure 3 times a day, each time minimum 1 hour in the water. After the first day I felt somethings going better, anyway I was patient and continued for 2 weeks this procedure. After 1 week I could swim easy breast style, without any pain. After 2 weeks full swimming all styles and I played also 2 hours Tennis without any pain. For sure I continued to going to the beach every day and several hours in the water. Conclusion: Warm salt water is the best cure for your body, there are no risks or sideeffects at all. Don't wait until you getting any health problems just do it every day, minimum 1 hour and you avoid a lot of problems.

I made a lot of sports in my life about 30 years handball, 15 y squash, racebiking, <deleted>ßball, Alpin Skiing etc. I was only 1 time serious insured with a "Charley Horse" (Pferdekuss) only treatment some balm. I was young and stupid enough and tried after 1 month a full training, then I had a half year pause. Anyway with about 50 years I helped a friend to install an new roof on his old house. We was renewing the entire wood construction. Simple said I had been 2 days hammering. The problem was, I was not used to such a long time hammering, as an office worker. I got an serious Tennisarm(Elbow). I consulted over month, 3 doctors. The 1. a sport mate gave me infrared rays and some electric stimulation, does'nt worked. 2. doctor some different balm cure and some massage between, this made it worse. The 3. said he have to make an operation, while telling me an abstruse story, what he would do, I denied. Then my last hope was an old friend who was a Homeopath and Chiropractor. I called him so late, caused he lived far away. Anyway he told me the best treatment about the Musculoskeletal System is warm Salt Water, but don't move your arm the first week while doing this treatment. I had luck it was only 2 weeks to my long holiday in Thailand. I arrived in Phuket, on first day I had start the cure. Stupid as I was, I tried to swim just slow easy breast style, but this was hopeless, caused of a lot of pain. Anyway only 1 proper solution left, I was going in the sea water up to my shoulder and was walking up and down along the beach and for sure looked also after the girls during this treatment. 1 made this procedure 3 times a day, each time minimum 1 hour in the water. After the first day I felt somethings going better, anyway I was patient and continued for 2 weeks this procedure. After 1 week I could swim easy breast style, without any pain. After 2 weeks full swimming all styles and I played also 2 hours Tennis without any pain. For sure I continued to going to the beach every day and several hours in the water. Conclusion: Warm salt water is the best cure for your body, there are no risks or sideeffects at all. Don't wait until you getting any health problems just do it every day, minimum 1 hour and you avoid a lot of problems.

It may have worked for you but where is the evidence for it working for many ?

Links to articles/research papers published in respected, peer reviewed, scientific journals please.

I made a lot of sports in my life about 30 years handball, 15 y squash, racebiking, <deleted>ßball, Alpin Skiing etc. I was only 1 time serious insured with a "Charley Horse" (Pferdekuss) only treatment some balm. I was young and stupid enough and tried after 1 month a full training, then I had a half year pause. Anyway with about 50 years I helped a friend to install an new roof on his old house. We was renewing the entire wood construction. Simple said I had been 2 days hammering. The problem was, I was not used to such a long time hammering, as an office worker. I got an serious Tennisarm(Elbow). I consulted over month, 3 doctors. The 1. a sport mate gave me infrared rays and some electric stimulation, does'nt worked. 2. doctor some different balm cure and some massage between, this made it worse. The 3. said he have to make an operation, while telling me an abstruse story, what he would do, I denied. Then my last hope was an old friend who was a Homeopath and Chiropractor. I called him so late, caused he lived far away. Anyway he told me the best treatment about the Musculoskeletal System is warm Salt Water, but don't move your arm the first week while doing this treatment. I had luck it was only 2 weeks to my long holiday in Thailand. I arrived in Phuket, on first day I had start the cure. Stupid as I was, I tried to swim just slow easy breast style, but this was hopeless, caused of a lot of pain. Anyway only 1 proper solution left, I was going in the sea water up to my shoulder and was walking up and down along the beach and for sure looked also after the girls during this treatment. 1 made this procedure 3 times a day, each time minimum 1 hour in the water. After the first day I felt somethings going better, anyway I was patient and continued for 2 weeks this procedure. After 1 week I could swim easy breast style, without any pain. After 2 weeks full swimming all styles and I played also 2 hours Tennis without any pain. For sure I continued to going to the beach every day and several hours in the water. Conclusion: Warm salt water is the best cure for your body, there are no risks or sideeffects at all. Don't wait until you getting any health problems just do it every day, minimum 1 hour and you avoid a lot of problems.

It may have worked for you but where is the evidence for it working for many ?

Links to articles/research papers published in respected, peer reviewed, scientific journals please.

s

You should read my last sentence properly, there are no risks or sideeffects, but no 100% guarantee at all, but a pretty good chance. Anyway I don't believe so much in published Articles, which are sponsored by the Pharmaindustry. I'm like Thomas the Apostle, I believe only what I can see and touch. Anyway there is a book about water treatment written by Sebastian Keipp(Kneipp Kur) there is a city in Bavaria Bad Wörishofen, they offer cures after his advices for over 100 years already, very successful. Other Cure institutions in and out of germany offer Kneipp cures too. He was not manipulated by the pharma industry, his was a christian monk. I hope I could helping you.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sebastian_Kneipp

http://www.amazon.com/My-Water-Cure-New-Edition/dp/1594626405