Supporters and protesters to rally as PM arrives to floral welcome in US

Lite Beer

One of them said Prayut was their last hope for saving the country. After thanking them, he commented that such expectations sometimes put pressure on him.

He mean "last hope to fill their pockets even more with bloodmoney taken from the poor in Thailand" ... bah.gif

"put pressure on him" ... 5555 Just wait until UN delegates start to buuuhhhh at you when you deliver your ridiculous speach blink.png

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who is in charge while the PM is away, said he was not worried about the premier's safety.

And neither are the rest of Thailand. Come back soon, we miss you already.

I hope you are only joking.

As the old saying goes hes only <deleted> with you. I thought they would have a brass band there playing "All hail to the chief" As the Deputy Prime Minister stated he was not worried about the PM's safety. There are never any assasinations in the good old USA

Deputy Prime Minister Prawit Wongsuwan, who is in charge while the PM is away, said he was not worried about the premier's safety.

I hope you are only joking.

As the old saying goes hes only <deleted> with you. I thought they would have a brass band there playing "All hail to the chief" As the Deputy Prime Minister stated he was not worried about the PM's safety. There are never any assasinations in the good old USA

yeah, you are right.....M.L. King died of old age, and the Kennedy's: one fell from his push bike and the other fell on M.Monroe. Sorry, I forgot it already.

Sarcasm?

Need you ask?wink.png

Not sure, this member has formerly expressed that kind of wuv (lurv?) for the self-appointed PM.

actually what attracted my attention to this article was and I quote - "we have been granted permission" and "the two groups have given their word to US authorities not to clash with each other"

The US authorities would not put up with any of the B...S they get away with in Thailand in the past

Try threatening to burn down New York and see where that lands you

Don't know American history do you? NY has had its share of mayhem, looting and wholesale destruction over the past 200+ years.

It seems that the reward for terrorism in the USA is a teaching position with job security. looks like you forgot many of the former US domestic terrorists implicated in bombings and murder. A few examples are;

- Kathy Boudin, pled guilty to second-degree murder in the weather Underground's robbery of a Brinks armored car in New York state. Five years after her release from jail, she had secured a teaching job at Columbia University in NYC.

- Susan Rosenberg was indicted in the same robbery. and murder(s). She eluded capture for years, but was caught in 1985 while as she was in the process of hiding 740 pounds of dynamite and weapons, including a submachine gun in a storage locker. (How very Thai of her.) After some jail time and a pardon, she went on to teach at John Jay College and then Hamilton College in NY.

- Another domestic terrorist, Eleanor Raskin, who fled after being indicted for bomb making in the 1970s, became an associate professor at Albany Law School.

- Black Panther big wig became a professor of women’s studies at Cal State. You might remember her for her trial on charges of “aiding and abetting” the murder of Alex Rackley, a fellow Panther they wrongly believed to be a police informant.

There are other more prominent domestic terrorists who went on to bigger and better positions, but I wanted to provide some examples and links to New York.

For all of the political violence in Thailand, I believe that far fewer Thais per capita have died, or been injured in political conflict than in western developed countries Appreciably, one can argue that it is 2015 and the world has evolved since the era of the US civil war when the population was decimated or the 20th century when European nations were still having civil wars (e.g. Spain, Greece). However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand. Sad, but true, as there are literally dozens of heavily armed wacko political groups affiliated with religious fanatics or groups who see the US federal and state governments as enemies.

Wow, have you been asleep for like 40 years or something? Why single out the US? Plenty of terrorist groups in Europe during those years, and let's not even look at the rest of the world.

I call you out to back up your assertions about "more prominent domestic terrorists" and that one is more likely to "experience terrorism" in the US than in Thailand. You're really sounding like some Fox-news-addled dunderhead. Geriatric> Alzheimers-affected?

However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand. Sad, but true, as there are literally dozens of heavily armed wacko political groups affiliated with religious fanatics or groups who see the US federal and state governments as enemies.

"However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand."

Wrongo by a mile. Thailand has had more than 7,000 terrorist related deaths just since 9/11 which took fewer than 1/2 that many lives. Since then there have been few acts of Islamic terror in the US but they continue unabated in Thailand.

Cheers.

Who said anything about Islamic terrorism? Gun related terrorism is far more prevalent in the US than Thailand.

The author of this article should really get their facts right.

1 - There were 2 permits issued for the protests/counter protests.

2 - The first was for the Anti-Prayuth group, which was allowed to have theirs on 1st Ave, basically in front of the UN.

3 - The second was for the Pro-Junta group, which was allowed to have theirs on 2nd Ave, a block away, and they were ordered NOT to venture onto 1st Ave.

If you're going to report a story, at least GET IT RIGHT.

We want to tell the world how this dictatorship is better than the [previous] elected government

good one! no doubt Kim Jong-un say's the same

Did Kim Jong-Un replace an elected government that was owned, controlled and dictated to by a fugitive criminal?

Thought he succeeded his despotic dad and grand dad. Seems more like the sort of set up the Shin leader fancied establishing.

However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand. Sad, but true, as there are literally dozens of heavily armed wacko political groups affiliated with religious fanatics or groups who see the US federal and state governments as enemies.

"However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand."

Wrongo by a mile. Thailand has had more than 7,000 terrorist related deaths just since 9/11 which took fewer than 1/2 that many lives. Since then there have been few acts of Islamic terror in the US but they continue unabated in Thailand.

Cheers.

Who said anything about Islamic terrorism? Gun related terrorism is far more prevalent in the US than Thailand.

Mr response to geriatrickkid was probably a bit rude but both his and your posts draw an inaccurate picture of the US (never mind the topic is Thailand). I wonder if either of you have ever lived there or are just part of the large coterie of Europeans who seem to be on a bash-the-US hair-trigger pretty much 24/7. I personally have seen and been the target of about as much aggression in a short time in Europe as in decades in the US, but maybe being a tourist in Europe was a factor; but I could draw the opposite conclusion about relative safety (knives kill too) and present it as fact as well.

As to "gun-related terrorism," BB don't you think that's really stretching the meaning of the term? Or mis-applying it? Not that having a weapon pointed at you isn't terrifying, I can attest to that (at least the first couple of times ha ha). But I see someone put up a definition of terrorism in the midst of a lot of these discussions because it's being over-used or stretched ad absurdum. I'd consider calling criminal acts with a firearm terrorism one or the other.

Not that they're not terrifying, and not that the US doesn't have a problem with firearm violence, that's most definitely the case.

Edited by PaPiPuPePo

actually what attracted my attention to this article was and I quote - "we have been granted permission" and "the two groups have given their word to US authorities not to clash with each other"

The US authorities would not put up with any of the B...S they get away with in Thailand in the past

Don't know American history do you? NY has had its share of mayhem, looting and wholesale destruction over the past 200+ years.

It seems that the reward for terrorism in the USA is a teaching position with job security. looks like you forgot many of the former US domestic terrorists implicated in bombings and murder. A few examples are;

- Kathy Boudin, pled guilty to second-degree murder in the weather Underground's robbery of a Brinks armored car in New York state. Five years after her release from jail, she had secured a teaching job at Columbia University in NYC.

- Susan Rosenberg was indicted in the same robbery. and murder(s). She eluded capture for years, but was caught in 1985 while as she was in the process of hiding 740 pounds of dynamite and weapons, including a submachine gun in a storage locker. (How very Thai of her.) After some jail time and a pardon, she went on to teach at John Jay College and then Hamilton College in NY.

- Another domestic terrorist, Eleanor Raskin, who fled after being indicted for bomb making in the 1970s, became an associate professor at Albany Law School.

- Black Panther big wig became a professor of women’s studies at Cal State. You might remember her for her trial on charges of “aiding and abetting” the murder of Alex Rackley, a fellow Panther they wrongly believed to be a police informant.

There are other more prominent domestic terrorists who went on to bigger and better positions, but I wanted to provide some examples and links to New York.

For all of the political violence in Thailand, I believe that far fewer Thais per capita have died, or been injured in political conflict than in western developed countries Appreciably, one can argue that it is 2015 and the world has evolved since the era of the US civil war when the population was decimated or the 20th century when European nations were still having civil wars (e.g. Spain, Greece). However, the fact remains that one is more likely to experience terrorism in the USA than in Thailand. Sad, but true, as there are literally dozens of heavily armed wacko political groups affiliated with religious fanatics or groups who see the US federal and state governments as enemies.

Wow, have you been asleep for like 40 years or something? Why single out the US? Plenty of terrorist groups in Europe during those years, and let's not even look at the rest of the world.

I call you out to back up your assertions about "more prominent domestic terrorists" and that one is more likely to "experience terrorism" in the US than in Thailand. You're really sounding like some Fox-news-addled dunderhead. Geriatric> Alzheimers-affected?

You shouldn't offer that I have alzheimers or claim that I am a "dunderhead" when you have shown that you have minimal reading comprehension and a degree of impaired cognitive ability. Did you see the reference to the original comment Try threatening to burn down New York and see where that lands you?

The italics and bold format indicates that it was a starting point. The original thread entry made the claim and I was responding.My comments were focused on New York related events to demonstrate what had previously occurred in New York. I even provided an explanation, with the statement, "there are other more prominent domestic terrorists who went on to bigger and better positions, but I wanted to provide some examples and links to New York". Obviously, the wording proved too difficult for you to comprehend.

In respect to domestic terrorism in the USA, you seem to be unaware of groups that are actively opposed to the elected federal and state governments. They go by such names as "Freeman Movement", Aryan Nation, Phineas Priesthood. Last week, a major trial just concluded with 2 Islamic terrorists sentenced to technical life sentences in Canadian prison for their attempt to blow up the Amtrak train between New York and Toronto. The FBI and RCMP were able to stop a mass slaughter event just in time.

Why try and make the claim that I am a devotee of Fox? Much of the domestic terrorism in the USA is now associated with 2 political groups: The extreme right wing and Islamic jihadists. The only one who is asleep appears to be you as you missed the events of the past year. You asked for some more examples, well, here are the officially categorized events from just the past year;

12-Sep-14 PA, 2 Right Wing -shooting attack on police officers

25-Sep-14 OK, 3 Islamic -knife attack at food processing plant

23-Oct-14 NY, 4 Islamic -axe attack on police officers

28-Nov-14 TX, 1 Unaffiliated Terrorism - shots fired & attempted arson at Mexican consulate, federal courthouse, & police station ,

20-Dec-14 NY, 3 Unaffiliated Terrorism - shooting attack on police officers

3-May-15 TX, 2 Islamic - shooting attack at event involving art critical of Islam

17-Jun-15 NC, 10 Right Wing - White supremacist kills 9 in Afro American church

16-Jul-15 TN, 8 Islamic- US military recruiting center shooting attack

Yes, Thailand has its terror events, and so do other countries. However, the difference with terror attacks in Thailand is that they are typically associated with regions where tourists do not go (e.g. Pattani) or with political rallies, which is again something tourists and non residents typically steer clear of. To date, no one in Thailand has entered a hotel and shot up the lobby. No one is kidnapped off of a beach as just happened in the Philippines. The key risks for visitors to Thailand remain as; Vehicle accidents & collisions, death through misadventure (e.g. falls from balconies, drinking, diving) and lifestyle & health (alcoholism, heart disease, lung disease, mental illness).

"Meanwhile, a pro-government group has been allowed to demonstrate at the same location today and tomorrow from 10am to 5pm to show its support to Prayut and the junta" .

Nice to see supporters of the junta doing something that would be regarded as illegal by themselves in their own country

Edited by cumgranosalum

You shouldn't offer that I have alzheimers or claim that I am a "dunderhead" when you have shown that you have minimal reading comprehension and a degree of impaired cognitive ability. Did you see the reference to the original comment Try threatening to burn down New York and see where that lands you?

The italics and bold format indicates that it was a starting point. The original thread entry made the claim and I was responding.My comments were focused on New York related events to demonstrate what had previously occurred in New York. I even provided an explanation, with the statement, "there are other more prominent domestic terrorists who went on to bigger and better positions, but I wanted to provide some examples and links to New York". Obviously, the wording proved too difficult for you to comprehend.

In respect to domestic terrorism in the USA, you seem to be unaware of groups that are actively opposed to the elected federal and state governments. They go by such names as "Freeman Movement", Aryan Nation, Phineas Priesthood. Last week, a major trial just concluded with 2 Islamic terrorists sentenced to technical life sentences in Canadian prison for their attempt to blow up the Amtrak train between New York and Toronto. The FBI and RCMP were able to stop a mass slaughter event just in time.

Why try and make the claim that I am a devotee of Fox? Much of the domestic terrorism in the USA is now associated with 2 political groups: The extreme right wing and Islamic jihadists. The only one who is asleep appears to be you as you missed the events of the past year. You asked for some more examples, well, here are the officially categorized events from just the past year;

12-Sep-14 PA, 2 Right Wing -shooting attack on police officers

25-Sep-14 OK, 3 Islamic -knife attack at food processing plant

23-Oct-14 NY, 4 Islamic -axe attack on police officers

28-Nov-14 TX, 1 Unaffiliated Terrorism - shots fired & attempted arson at Mexican consulate, federal courthouse, & police station ,

20-Dec-14 NY, 3 Unaffiliated Terrorism - shooting attack on police officers

3-May-15 TX, 2 Islamic - shooting attack at event involving art critical of Islam

17-Jun-15 NC, 10 Right Wing - White supremacist kills 9 in Afro American church

16-Jul-15 TN, 8 Islamic- US military recruiting center shooting attack

Yes, Thailand has its terror events, and so do other countries. However, the difference with terror attacks in Thailand is that they are typically associated with regions where tourists do not go (e.g. Pattani) or with political rallies, which is again something tourists and non residents typically steer clear of. To date, no one in Thailand has entered a hotel and shot up the lobby. No one is kidnapped off of a beach as just happened in the Philippines. The key risks for visitors to Thailand remain as; Vehicle accidents & collisions, death through misadventure (e.g. falls from balconies, drinking, diving) and lifestyle & health (alcoholism, heart disease, lung disease, mental illness).

Yeah I should have dialled down the invective; not alone in that regard online.

Nevertheless you point that out then make a number of ad hominem (and inaccurate) statements yourself. Well done.

I get it now, you have a VERY broad definition of terrorism to put it politely (this time). Maybe you should consult any number of authoritative publications (i.e. not guys like us spouting off online) and you'll find that your definition is erroneous.

As I said the US obviously has a gun violence problem, and politically-motivated single and mass-shootings occur. They are heinous acts. But if you see a terrorist every time there's violence never mind that the act doesn't meet the definition, then you're on the exact same page as the propagandisers at Fox whether you watch them or not ("Terror here, terror there, terror everywhere, be very afraid and do as you're told!"). And that's dunderheaded thinking, like it or not.

400 supporters! Wow! I wonder how much it costs Thai taxpayers to fly most of them from Thailand.....

Any actual evidence of that or just another blatant lie ?.

You lie as easily as speak the truth - do you even know the difference any more ?.

I don't need to know anything about Thai politics : I could just read the comments by red-shirts here and know Thailand is better off under a Junta.

400 supporters! Wow! I wonder how much it costs Thai taxpayers to fly most of them from Thailand.....

You lie as easily as speak the truth - do you even know the difference any more ?.

I don't need to know anything about Thai politics : I could just read the comments by red-shirts here and know Thailand is better off under a Junta.

By "know" (my bolding) of course you mean "believe." We're all entitled to our opinions, even those based on wilful ignorance as you say yours is.

Edited by metisdead

We want to tell the world how this dictatorship is better than the [previous] elected government

Maybe I have to do some reading, but I vaguely remember North Korea never had an elected government

Or try removing people's right to vote, or try to remove the elected government by force, or try to attitude adjust people, or....etc,ect.

Well, some in Florida still wonder about their votes.

As for attitude adjustment, well it would seem some police forces are using 'intelligent' algoriths to predict when known criminals will be on the prowl again. That's close to being arrested for what you think.

BTW the European Community is still very reluctant to 'automatically' pass info on their people to the USA as for instance the Snowdon papers shows how much that country likes to spy on people especially those less covered by the US constitution.

By "know" (my bolding) of course you mean "believe." We're all entitled to our opinions, even those based on wilful ignorance as you say yours is.

I assume the "based on wilful ignorance " is something you believe?

Tomorrow the speech will be about ending military conflict, slowing global warming, stopping the oppression of the disenfranchised, decommissioning all the nukes, and so on and so forth. Maybe throw in a line about colonising Mars to display Vision and Courage.

According to the 2008 census there were 308,000 people with a Thai passport residing in the USA. Like the protesters who came from all over the USA, the supporters could do the same.

But thanks for make us wondering thumbsup.gif

BTW the self-styled Red New York group coordinator said their members are overseas Thais from various US states, including Florida, Connecticut and New Jersey, as well as from Canada and Europe. I would assume that no one came from Europe to join the protest, such a hassle to get a visa nowadays. Reason of visit: protest in New York" may also not help much, and saying something else would be lying, something the authorities also do not like.

Ok I was just being nasty....but who knows?

My wife, who is from Udon Thani, has quite a large number of Thai friends here in the Wash., DC area. In fact, There are protestors out at the Thai Embassy before the coup and after the coup. Based on her friends various backgrounds, I would guess that the Thais here are fairly diverse in their political leanings

According to the 2008 census there were 308,000 people with a Thai passport residing in the USA. Like the protesters who came from all over the USA, the supporters could do the same.

BTW the self-styled Red New York group coordinator said their members are overseas Thais from various US states, including Florida, Connecticut and New Jersey, as well as from Canada and Europe. I would assume that no one came from Europe to join the protest, such a hassle to get a visa nowadays. Reason of visit: protest in New York" may also not help much, and saying something else would be lying, something the authorities also do not like.

Absolutely, when visiting Amsterdam, I always tell them the truth...I am here to visit the tulip fields and windmills.

Absolutely, when visiting Amsterdam, I always tell them the truth...I am here to visit the tulip fields and windmills.

I guess one of the reasons I never went to Amsterdam much, even when still living in the Netherlands, was because there are not that many windmills and tulip fields in Amsterdam.

Maybe I have to do some reading, but I vaguely remember North Korea never had an elected government

Yes you do need to do some reading. The national elections are every 5 years and every 4 years for the local elections. There are multiple parties who contest the election. The format of approving candidates and running the elections has some similarities to the format proposed by supporters of the military regime in Thailand.

Yes you do need to do some reading. The national elections are every 5 years and every 4 years for the local elections. There are multiple parties who contest the election. The format of approving candidates and running the elections has some similarities to the format proposed by supporters of the military regime in Thailand.

you're right, my dear gKid. I completely forgot that one of the Kim's always wins the elections by 100.01% or so.

As for similarities, well, the proposed but dropped charter had some form of proportional representation, sadly lacking in some Western Democracies.