Paddling against child abuse

Lite Beer

Paddling against child abuse
Phuket Gazette -

1_2015925114741175_KAHWvZyTlSmQVKMTYRlnH

Mr Rider is about to embark on a four-day expedition around Phuket. Photo: Isaac Stone Simonelli

PHUKET: A great white shark knocked Damien Rider from his paddle board during one of eleven shark encounters he faced as he paddled 800 kilometers from Rainbow Bay, Gold Coast, to Bondi Beach, Sydney, in January 2015.

However, the demon that he was battling wasn’t below the ocean’s surface, but in the vivid world of abuse that he endured as a child.

Now, 33 years after he was first scarred by the violence of his mother’s boyfriend, he is doing everything in his power to raise awareness of child abuse throughout the world.

Mr Rider’s latest effort lands him in Phuket, where he is training at Phuket Cleanse and Thanyapura before embarking on a circumnavigation of the island – a four-day journey by standup paddle board – for his self-funded organization: Paddle Against Child Abuse (PACA).

While training, Mr Rider is also sharing his story with many students on the island, such as those at Phuket International Academy.

Source: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Paddling-against-child-abuse/62025?desktopversion

pglogo.jpg
-- Phuket Gazette 2015-09-26

Child abuse is a national disgrace in Thailand...many educators feel free to abuse school children for minor infractions...one teacher even used a taser on a small child in her classroom...disgusting inhumane treatment of children is often accepted in Thai culture...I would not treat my dog that way...much less a child...beatdeadhorse.gif

Edited by ggt

It's always been wrong, but child abuse was endemic, and tolerated, in Australian schools when I was there 50 years ago. I write specifically of physical abuse, corporal punishment, rather than sexual, although I believe that form also existed.

Fortunately, we're more enlightened, and civilized, about how we raise our children.

It's always been wrong, but child abuse was endemic, and tolerated, in Australian schools when I was there 50 years ago. I write specifically of physical abuse, corporal punishment, rather than sexual, although I believe that form also existed.

Fortunately, we're more enlightened, and civilized, about how we raise our children.

Agree totally. I schooled in Australia at private schools mostly where the cane or strap were used widely. Not nice to be beaten. But in saying that, I do think that some form of disapline is required. I think I grew up with a sense of respect for others & the law. What is needed by most youth in the world. Respect of others>

Edited by duckmandon