One woman dead, second seriously injured in high-speed Phuket bike crash

Lite Beer

One woman dead, second seriously injured in high-speed Phuket bike crash

Darawan Naknakhon

1443245016_1-org.jpg

Police investigate at the scene of the accident.

PHUKET: One woman died and a second woman was hospitalised with serious injuries when the motorbike they were riding crashed into a wall in Kamala last night (Sept 25).

Kamala police were called to investigate a motorbike accident in front of Leamson Villa at 11:30 pm where it had been reported that one woman had died and another was seriously injured.

Police arrived at the scene with rescue workers from Kamala OrBorTor to find a wrecked Honda Sonic lying next to a wall, and the body of a 30-35 year old woman lying face up with serious head injuries.

Responding officers told police that injured woman, named as 22-year-old Yanika Midsang was unconscious when she was discovered and had already been taken to hospital.

Kamonkiet Sritanai, a security guard from the nearby Iyara Hotel told police that he saw two women heading down the hill to Kamala on the motorbike at high speed. The driver lost control of the motorbike at a bend and slammed into the wall.

Police have yet to identify the deceased, whose body was taken to Patong Hospital, and have been unable to question the survivor who remains in a critical condition in hospital.

Kamala police’s Pol Lt Somneig Damkaew said, “We will gather more information from the crash site and try to locate the victim’s families.”

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/one-woman-dead-second-seriously-injured-in-high-speed-phuket-bike-crash-54272.php

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-09-26

Police have yet to identify the deceased

So, she carried no ID on her, or driver's license? Then again, maybe not all that unusual.

She may well have not had a drivers licence, as most scooter riders don't BUT it is unlikely that she did not carry an ID card. Thai's get so much grief from the

police for not carrying.

Anyway back to accident, " oh there is a bend in road I go too far, never mind " same same as "traffic lights are red, I not see any cars, except that one who

just hit me"

Another day another body. Notice girl was off to hospital before police arrive

Speed Kills as we all know...., but we see it on a daily basis...

Sad.... far too young...

I do agree that excessive speed can be a contributing factor.

However they were riding a 'Honda Sonic' 2 up, so the speed was probably not that excessive.

I would hazard a guess that neither the rider or pillion was wearing a helmet.

Then even slower speeds become more deadly.

RIP and I wish the other a speedy recovery.

Which is harder, that safety helmet or my head?

Someone just found the answer...RiP!

Believe it or not, a few years ago the Minister of Transport was giving an interview to a foreign reporter. When asked about motorbike safety and helmets, the minister replied that it really wasn't necessary for Thai to wear helmets, as their skulls were naturally thicker than those of non-Thai. I kid you not.

Why would they wear helmets? For safety reasons of course. But the number of times I have seen motorcycle Police not wearing them and sometimes wearing but not strapped up! Hardly an example to follow!

Guess it is a case (yet again) of do as I say not what I do. Leading by example is obviously not a Thai authorities trait? coffee1.gif

Speed Kills as we all know...., but we see it on a daily basis...

Sad.... far too young...

Cannot agree about "speed" - hoary old favourite trotted out by many. Nothing personal robertthebruce. Guess it sometimes comes down to an interpretation of speeding.

Speed does not kill - driving/riding too fast for conditions kills. I have been "speeding" most of my driving/riding life (50yrs+) and, obviously, I am still here.

E.G. you can die when travelling at 20kmh in a 50kmh zone. 20kmh would hardly qualify as speeding. You are not speeding (breaking the law) but if conditions do not allow you to drive/ride safely at 50kmh then don't do it!

Speed will increase the severity of a crash (accident) but such severity can be lessened by using "safety features" (seat belts, crash helmets etc) for driving/riding.