Thai Immigration To Introduce Fingerprint Scanning At Suvarnabhumi

george

Police to introduce fingerprint scanning at Suvarnabhumi

SUVARNABHUMI: -- The Immigration Bureau plans to install fingerprint identification equipment at Suvarnabhumi Airport within the next two months.

The new equipment is part of a global trend among international airports to utilise biometric scanning technology for security and efficiency purposes.

“Immigration procedures at Suvarnabhumi are very fast. It takes only 20 seconds for the average passenger. It will be even faster when we finish installing the fingerprint identification units,” said Police Lieutenant General Suwat Tumrongsriskul, Immigration Bureau Commissioner, who inspected the new airport Thursday during its first day of full commercial service.

In addition to fingerprint scanning equipment, immigration police plan to install additional electronic passport control technology, which they hope will also be in place before the end of November.

During the inspection, Suwat dismissed concerns over criminals possibly taking advantage of the transition period between Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang) and Suvarnabhumi to sneak in or out of the country.

“We have installed passport reading machines at the gate. The passengers need to present their passport a second time before boarding an aircraft. This is to prevent the usage of bogus passports. The machines are also connected to a database of wanted persons,” said Suwat.

For arriving flights, the Immigration Bureau has requested that airlines submit a passenger manifest before a plane arrives, again for security and efficiency purposes. Police can scrutinise the data and, therefore, accelerate procedures before passengers even reach immigration booths.

--TNA 2006-09-28

Thailand to install fingerprint scanners at new airport to help nab criminals

BANGKOK: -- In an effort to crack down on foreign criminals and fugitives sneaking into the country, Thailand's immigration authorities plan to install high-tech fingerprint identification equipment at Bangkok's brand-new international airport.

The new fingerprinting devices will use biometric scanning technology to maintain security, said a news release Thursday from Airports of Thailand, the state airport operator

Immigration police also plan to install electronic passport control equipment by the end of November, it said.

Passengers would be asked to present their passports to be read by passport reading machines at two separate points before boarding their flights, including at boarding gates, said Immigration Police Commissioner Lt. Gen. Suwat Suwatsisakul.

"This is to prevent the usage of bogus passports," Suwat said in the news release. "The machines are also connected to a database of wanted persons."

Thailand is a commonly used hideaway for international gangsters, fugitives and terrorists.

Southeast Asian terror chief Hambali — once dubbed Osama bin Laden's point man in the region — was arrested in Thailand in 2003. He was traveling on a fake Spanish passport.

More recently, Thai immigration authorities have arrested several fugitives — mostly from Europe and the United States _wanted on charges ranging from child sex abuse to murder, and sent them back to their home countries to face charges.

--AP 2006-09-28

It's only a nuisance if an when you have something to hide !

Many Western-European Int. airports have been practising this (pax-manifest-scanning) for many years and thus procedures have been able to be performed much more efficiently and speedy.

:o

I have no problems with having finger print scans when entering a country however when I transited LAX the other year (flying Auckland to UK) I could not believe I was force to give my finger prints to enter the transit lounge that was literally opposite the aircraft!!! My passport was also stamped showing I had entered the US (also stamped with the wrong date!)!

In the situation I did feel like saying ###### off!

Not a bad concept

I still don't understand why there is a need for ANY government to obtain my finger prints when entering their country with a legal document identifying me (passport)

Finger printing is a technique closely identified with a criminal record.

Forcing visitors to this technique is as much as saying: I don't trust the document you present to me for your identification.

I don't trust the visa in it given out by my own embassy or consular services.

In other words it questions the whole international travel agreements currently existing.

Finger printing and its future equivalent eye scanning followed later in time by DNA checking are steps on the way of total governmental control of its citizens and the citizens of any other country that happens to pass their borders. How the information is storaged used and shared is totally unknown to us.

By allowing governments to use these techniques, we are giving up the personal liberties and freedoms that so many people have fought and died for in our very recent history.

• Like 1

I still don't understand why there is a need for ANY government to obtain my finger prints when entering their country with a legal document identifying me (passport)

Quite simple, it stops people from coming and going with multiple passports using multiple identities, even if they are all "legal".

For arriving flights, the Immigration Bureau has requested that airlines submit a passenger manifest before a plane arrives, again for security and efficiency purposes. Police can scrutinise the data and, therefore, accelerate procedures before passengers even reach immigration booths.

--TNA 2006-09-28

This will make the "no more than 90 days in any 180" a lot easier to implement against those arriving without visas.

Provided the fingerprint scan is a one-off usage to compare to a database of wanted suspects, rather than added to the database for future identification, then I have no problems with it.

However, if it's intended to (in co-operation with the US for example) attempt to build a database of fingerprints of anyone and everyone who travels by air (for some as yet unrevealed "security" purpose) then I'm dead against it - I grew up in an "innocent until proven guilty" society and don't want my fingerprints hanging around in some database ready for a bureaucratic cock-up to identify me as Bin Laden or similar, or for hackers (or "authorised" personnel) to access them for silicone replicating and planting at a crime scene - - - paranoid? When it comes to personal freedoms and personal security - you betcha.

• Like 1

Quite simple, it stops people from coming and going with multiple passports using multiple identities, even if they are all "legal".

Too right, we live in a different world post 9/11 and its one of the things we will have to put up with if we don't want to be blown to pieces. Terrorists don't give a ###### about human rights.

Suwat dismissed concerns over criminals possibly taking advantage of the transition period between Bangkok International Airport (Don Muang) and Suvarnabhumi to sneak in or out of the country.

Tracking fingerprints is a new departure for Thailand.

It is certainly not a skill practiced by the National Police Force. :o

But will the fingerprint actually be linked to the travel documents?

As long as there is no biometric information stored in the passport, I don't see how they can do that?

Will it stop people from buying passports from village people who have no intent to use it themselves?

Or will the fingerprint only be linked to some sort of national database of (un)wanted people?

Not a bad concept

Forcing visitors to this technique is as much as saying: I don't trust the document you present to me for your identification.

In other words it questions the whole international travel agreements currently existing.

Finger printing and its future equivalent eye scanning followed later in time by DNA checking are steps on the way of total governmental control of its citizens and the citizens of any other country that happens to pass their borders. How the information is storaged used and shared is totally unknown to us.

By allowing governments to use these techniques, we are giving up the personal liberties and freedoms that so many people have fought and died for in our very recent history.

I understand... it's because of the faults of a few that they many have to pay once again. Unfortunately, passports aren't foolproof. A few thousand dollars to the "right" person will get you a nice fake passport. Fingerprints aren't so easily forged. There are criminals travelling globally with fake travel documents all the time. If my fingerprint will keep one terrorist from boarding one plane, to me it's worth it. It's not asking me to give up one liberty or right to scan my fingerprint. It's asking me to tolerate a little inconvenience. Tell the families and people that have had to suffer from terrorists on planes that the inconvenience isn't worth it. :o

If what we have been led to believe elsewhere is true, Thai immigrations currently cannot even match the names of people entering the kingdom against their vaunted blacklist. I find it had to believe they'll be matching up fingerprints anytime soon.

They should start accepting those European Biometrics passports. I am going to get one next week with wireless chip so they can scan this remotely. I wonder if this ever will come in place.

Imagine, you have your passport and you just walk through the gate. No scan, no picture, everything is stored on the passport. But you know, it reminds me fight with crime - they are always ahead of you. European Passports have pinctures stored, and immigration wants fingerprints. Once passport will have fingerprints stored, then they will ask for another check. Never ending, they always wants more and more.

Edited by vladaman

A few points,

Finger printing is really only a concern if you for some reason you have prints on file,they are not going to sit and match your prints before entry.

As far as big brother ect goes, I would rather have the people on the plane I am flying out with

screened than not.

If what we have been led to believe elsewhere is true, Thai immigrations currently cannot even match the names of people entering the kingdom against their vaunted blacklist. I find it had to believe they'll be matching up fingerprints anytime soon.

But the mismatching might start anytime soon... :o

--TNA 2006-09-28

This will make the "no more than 90 days in any 180" a lot easier to implement against those arriving without visas.

Provided the fingerprint scan is a one-off usage to compare to a database of wanted suspects, rather than added to the database for future identification, then I have no problems with it.

However, if it's intended to (in co-operation with the US for example) attempt to build a database of fingerprints of anyone and everyone who travels by air (for some as yet unrevealed "security" purpose) then I'm dead against it - I grew up in an "innocent until proven guilty" society and don't want my fingerprints hanging around in some database ready for a bureaucratic cock-up to identify me as Bin Laden or similar, or for hackers (or "authorised" personnel) to access them for silicone replicating and planting at a crime scene - - - paranoid? When it comes to personal freedoms and personal security - you betcha.

That is exactly what I am afraid off. There is no currently NO legal control on the use of the information obtained, be it here in Thailand or over there in the US of A. Or in any other country that is applying the technique for that matter. There was resistance by some European countries to USA demands on biometric data on passports initially, but I don't know where that has ended up to.

And therefore as there are no legal guarantees on the use of the info obtained I am against the use of these techniques and will support any movement that will fight against its use.

Finger Printing what a good idea no problem for me I have done nothing wrong so why should I worry, but people on the wanted list oops :o

Since 9/11 everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise, we are all certainly treated like criminals. I have nothing to hide, but I object to having my finger prints taken, I object to what I see as uncessary information being collected about me. When will people wake and realise that Government, basically means control, and control and telling the truth don't sit well together! 9/11 has presented those certain elements with a wonderful opportunity to turn the clock back. If they could get away with inserting chip in your head, they would and at the same time telling you that it will help to make you safer, and there would still be people who would just sheepishly accept it! Because they have done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear! What's happening to liberty, or is that something that we are allowed from a government, when they feel that it is right for us?

Canada is the same way. I have no problem with it. I wish that when you get your passport that they put your fingerprint on that so it can be scanned against your own prints to confirm you are the person holding the passport. Seems to me that would be a pretty good idea but who am i?

Finger Printing what a good idea no problem for me I have done nothing wrong so why should I worry, but people on the wanted list oops :o

Until of course you end up, by some magic, on the wanted list because some government officer has decided you belong there. These type of "errors" are so easily constructed and so difficult to undo !

Since 9/11 everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise, we are all certainly treated like criminals. I have nothing to hide, but I object to having my finger prints taken, I object to what I see as uncessary information being collected about me. When will people wake and realise that Government, basically means control, and control and telling the truth don't sit well together! 9/11 has presented those certain elements with a wonderful opportunity to turn the clock back. If they could get away with inserting chip in your head, they would and at the same time telling you that it will help to make you safer, and there would still be people who would just sheepishly accept it! Because they have done nothing wrong and have nothing to fear! What's happening to liberty, or is that something that we are allowed from a government, when they feel that it is right for us?

Could find a better way to express it!

I for one would be up for racial and religious profiling! This random searching doesn't cut it. Go after the people that look like they want to blow up a plane. I won't go any further on this topic for fear of being removed...

It's amazing how things always revert back to 911.

"Jimmy, how was school today?", "Well, mommy, we had lunch and it sucked so my teacher said it was because of 911".

See what i mean?

It is scary to see how many of you dont give a sh** about big brother... it appears all you sheep have been brainwashed from 9/11 and given up cowardly all the liberties so many people died for - well, you just gave them bunch of terrorists a bigger victory they could ever have dreamt of... you sad <lacking printable words>!

It is scary to see how many of you dont give a sh** about big brother... it appears all you sheep have been brainwashed from 9/11 and given up cowardly all the liberties so many people died for - well, you just gave them bunch of terrorists a bigger victory they could ever have dreamt of... you sad <lacking printable words>!

I think you need to understnd the difference between what is a right and what is a privelege. International travel is a privelege. Any country may at any time create whatever c riteria for entry they choose. You have the liberty to not go there if that disturbs you.

I use finger print entry when I travel to Dubai, however it is only available to passengers who have membership cards such as sliver and gold, and I think you may need a valid work visa also. Which I have for the UAE,

It is supposed to speed the entry and exit of privileged members.

I had to register with the government department, you can’t just turn up and give your finger print, and they have to have your details already.

I wonder who it will be available to ?????????

The time will come, when nations will experience continued 9/11 or 7/7 type terrorist attacks, and if the result is mass casualty of innocent human lives, then there will be a public outcry.

The greatest threat to civil liberties today is those above said further attacks.

Terrorism can be stopped, but only by extreme measures. The immediate arrest of all potential terrorists, torture of terrorists into inculpating others. Every one will be surveilled. Convicted terrorists would be punished, along with their kith and kin. All advocasy of terrorism would be criminalised (including peaceful advocasy). Then finally a complete ban on media reporting of terrorism, so terrorists would be denied propaganda.

The above posters who complain of loss of civil liberties, by providing fingerprints into a foreign land have lost touch with reality. Times have changed for ever, it is our duty to mankind to surrender these freedoms, so that future generations can have the chance to live with little terrorism, especially as nuclear and biological terrorism is just a decade away.

Not a bad concept

Like it or not traditional identification methods are past their sell by date - paper documents are all too easily forged and passwords can be cracked - before long I suspect most people will have to log on to their computers using fingerprint or retina scans and I can see this moving on to even simple things like credit card transactions. The notion that fingerprinting is associated only with criminal matters is a little outdated - no doubt when a non-invasive method of DNA testing becomes available that will replace the "outdated" finger print!

Documents are not trusted even by our own authorities in the UK - I arrived at Gatwick with my Thai boyfriend who had a properly obtained UK visitor visa in his passport - he was still questioned extensively by the immigration officer - luckily I went through the foreigners channel with him because even I had difficulty in understanding some of their questions! That was bad enough but while we were waiting for the luggage another senior immigration officer came up asked for his passport and repeated the process. I dread to think how he might have fared if he had gone through immigration alone!